Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
thinktank

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:54 pmFit, fit, fit!!!
Today Rosas said he’s going into the draft not knowing what the roster will look like in four years so he’s trying to find the most talent.

Sounds like BPA, doesn’t it?

;)

:beer:
j2j

Post by j2j »

I don't think Little ends up a bum. I don't see the mkg comparison, Little's shot isn't atrocious. But with our roster as it stands, I don't like the pick. He has potential.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:41 pm
Today Rosas said he’s going into the draft not knowing what the roster will look like in four years so he’s trying to find the most talent.

;)

I guess you could also go by the quote where he says we are looking for the kind of players that fit our plan.

BPA is a myth that has been disputed by every good GM. They all say it's not BPA It's BPA for you.

Caged freakin Lion. BPA.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:50 pm

;)

I guess you could also go by the quote where he says we are looking for the kind of players that fit our plan.

BPA is a myth that has been disputed by every good GM. They all say it's not BPA It's BPA for you.

Caged freakin Lion. BPA.
When asked about someone who can contribute right now vs someone who has a higher ceiling Rosas says “I think the key is talent”.

Rosas is a BPA guy. As are the best GMs.

:thumbsup:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:13 pm

;)

Caged freakin Lion. BPA.
When asked about someone who can contribute right now vs someone who has a higher ceiling Rosas says “I think the key is talent”.

And again, read all his quotes.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Caged freakin Lion. BPA.

One could never read all of Rosas’ quotes.

Watch his 20 minute clip from TODAY.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:33 pm

I'm just going off his interview at the combine and some quotes from today or yesterday. Where was the clip from today? On the Wolves site?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:47 pm I don't think Little ends up a bum. I don't see the mkg comparison, Little's shot isn't atrocious. But with our roster as it stands, I don't like the pick. He has potential.
Dude the comp in college is bang on. Now no one is going to bet that he ends up getting even worse at shooting like MKG did but he has a long way to go to be even a 3 and D guy. But all I have to go off was watching him play last year. Word is he's been shooting it well in workouots. But who knows if that's smoke or true. Most draft workouts for top players are closed to the media.

But he does make little sense for the roster as it stands.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:35 pm

I'm just going off his interview at the combine and some quotes from today or yesterday. Where was the clip from today? On the Wolves site?
I would assume so. He had a press conference. Cmon, thrill!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:40 pm

I would assume so. He had a press conference. Cmon, thrill!
I am watching 5 kids. I don't have time to search today. I'm depending on this site to hear the news today.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Trust me then. Rosas is going BPA. He’s done everything but come right out and say it in those words.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Maybe this? It's only 10 minutes though.

https://kstp.com/sports/timberwolves-pr ... 73/?cat=7
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
j2j

Post by j2j »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:39 pm
j2j wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:47 pm I don't think Little ends up a bum. I don't see the mkg comparison, Little's shot isn't atrocious. But with our roster as it stands, I don't like the pick. He has potential.
Dude the comp in college is bang on. Now no one is going to bet that he ends up getting even worse at shooting like MKG did but he has a long way to go to be even a 3 and D guy. But all I have to go off was watching him play last year. Word is he's been shooting it well in workouots. But who knows if that's smoke or true. Most draft workouts for top players are closed to the media.

But he does make little sense for the roster as it stands.
DUDE!

thinktank

Post by thinktank »

thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Hey thrill, this sounds exactly what I said yesterday. Do you still disagree with this approach?

From the Strib:

Need or best player?

When asked the perennial question of drafting for need vs. the best talent available, Rosas indicated he favored the latter.

“You don’t know what your roster is going to look like in three or four years,” Rosas said. “You don’t know what your needs are going to be in three or four years. So for us, our ability to acquire the best talent is our focus, and that’s what we’re looking to execute on.”

http://m.startribune.com/wolves-preside ... 511494772/
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

thinktank wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:53 am Hey thrill, this sounds exactly what I said yesterday. Do you still disagree with this approach?

From the Strib:

Need or best player?

When asked the perennial question of drafting for need vs. the best talent available, Rosas indicated he favored the latter.

“You don’t know what your roster is going to look like in three or four years,” Rosas said. “You don’t know what your needs are going to be in three or four years. So for us, our ability to acquire the best talent is our focus, and that’s what we’re looking to execute on.”

FAKE NEWS!!! ;)
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Once place to look for trade partners are the teams with too many draft picks or no first round picks. Teams may be looking to avoid giving too much guaranteed money or roster spots to first round picks or maxed-out teams may be looking for cheap role players.

Here's a list of teams with more than three picks:

ATL: 8, 10, 17, 35, 41, 44
PHI: 24, 33, 34, 42, 54
BOS: 14, 20, 22, 51
NOP: 1, 4, 39, 57

There's no way the Hawks walk away with six players. They've already offered the 8/10 for the Knicks' 3. I could see them stashing their second round picks or selling one or two for cash and the same goes for Philadelphia.

With Kyrie and Horford walking in Boston, will they hope Hayward returns to form or use their picks to stockpile more blue chip players while putting Hayward on the trading block?

The Pelicans will have nine players on guaranteed contracts once the Davis deal is done. After Holiday's $26 million deal, their next most expensive contract is Solomon Hill at $13 million. I'd expect them to see what they have in Ingram before offering him a rookie extension. The bottom line is, I'd expect them to keep three or maybe all four of these picks, unless they think they can turn the 4 into another rotation player.

Here are the teams without first-round picks:

DAL: 37
DEN: None
LAC: 48, 56
LAL: None
SAC: 40, 47, 60
TOR: 59

The only teams I could see trying to acquire a pick, whether it's a first or a second, are Dallas, Denver, and Sacramento. Denver's going to have to start paying their rotation players, so adding another guy on a rookie deal would be advantageous.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

atlanta and boston both have three in the first round - which would all need guaranteed contracts, unless they do an overseas stash. how many first round overseas stash guys are there? bitadze and samanic are the only two i see - assuming sekou is coming over. if those two are off the board when boston and atlanta need to pick a stash, then they'll be faced with either signing a contract to a third first rounder, or wanting to deal quickly.

btw, what's the word on talen horton-tucker, everyone's favorite swiss army knife late first rounder? latest nbadraft.net mock has him suddenly all the way down to 60, nearly undrafted. this guy was showing up on some mocks just out of the lottery less than a month ago. and whoa! things are weird with this mock. they also have admiral schofield going undrafted.

finally, yessir - my guy justin foreman-wright is making a late season mock surge! he's gone from undrafted to being mocked at 45 by detroit. if a team needs bench scoring, IMO this guy is a no risk/no fail second round option. right now he's on my short list for our 43rd pick along with sagaba konate, isaiah roby, miye oni and jordan bone.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:11 am atlanta and boston both have three in the first round - which would all need guaranteed contracts, unless they do an overseas stash. how many first round overseas stash guys are there? bitadze and samanic are the only two i see - assuming sekou is coming over. if those two are off the board when boston and atlanta need to pick a stash, then they'll be faced with either signing a contract to a third first rounder, or wanting to deal quickly.

btw, what's the word on talen horton-tucker, everyone's favorite swiss army knife late first rounder? latest nbadraft.net mock has him suddenly all the way down to 60, nearly undrafted. this guy was showing up on some mocks just out of the lottery less than a month ago. and whoa! things are weird with this mock. they also have admiral schofield going undrafted.

finally, yessir - my guy justin foreman-wright is making a late season mock surge! he's gone from undrafted to being mocked at 45 by detroit. if a team needs bench scoring, IMO this guy is a no risk/no fail second round option. right now he's on my short list for our 43rd pick along with sagaba konate, isaiah roby, miye oni and jordan bone.
Horton Tucker is a tough one for me. He's one of those guys who played great every game I watched and sucked a lot of the times I didn't going by his stats. He reminds me of Clarence Weatherspoon. Short but crazy monkey arms. But shot poorly and likely hasn't imporessed shooting in workouts. He's a scrapper though. Love to get him as a UDFA.
j2j

Post by j2j »

memyworld

Post by memyworld »

j2j wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:21 pm
Thinks, "Wow, the 2017 #16 pick is already out of the league?! Who was that?"

Google says, "Justin Patton."

Thinks, "Yeah, but the #25 is also out of the league!"

Googles says, "Anzejs Pasecniks plays for Herbalife Gran Canaria in the Liga ACB."

*Sighs*

---

Steph Curry and John Wall the only two players still with their teams from 2009 and 2010.
2011: Tristan Thompson, Bismack Biyombo (played for two other teams before returning), Kemba Walker, Klay Thompson
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Doesn't that chart just scream, no one has a clue on any of these guys coming out of college. Some take better calculated risks but they still don't know jack squat. Over half of the draftee's have moved on from their drafting teams in 2 years. Yikes.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:58 pm Doesn't that chart just scream, no one has a clue on any of these guys coming out of college. Some take better calculated risks but they still don't know jack squat. Over half of the draftee's have moved on from their drafting teams in 2 years. Yikes.
Not really. Sure some guys bust out but just because they are on other teams doesn't mean that team was wrong to take them. Guys get traded and leave in FA.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:32 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:58 pm Doesn't that chart just scream, no one has a clue on any of these guys coming out of college. Some take better calculated risks but they still don't know jack squat. Over half of the draftee's have moved on from their drafting teams in 2 years. Yikes.
Not really. Sure some guys bust out but just because they are on other teams doesn't mean that team was wrong to take them. Guys get traded and leave in FA.
I suppose. I still think no one knows anything.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:34 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:32 pm
I suppose. I still think no one knows anything.
Lot of things can screw it too. Obviously these workouts and meetings are job interviews and that means lots of lies. Then you have a different guy than you thought. Lots of guys get drafted right before a coaching change and then don't fit. Lots of guys get drafted by rebuild pick horders and then all get traded for a star.

There are certainly some shitty GM's and OWNERS! Let's hope we are finally the Wolf and not the god damned sheep we've always been.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:11 am atlanta and boston both have three in the first round - which would all need guaranteed contracts, unless they do an overseas stash. how many first round overseas stash guys are there? bitadze and samanic are the only two i see - assuming sekou is coming over. if those two are off the board when boston and atlanta need to pick a stash, then they'll be faced with either signing a contract to a third first rounder, or wanting to deal quickly.

Horton Tucker is a tough one for me. He's one of those guys who played great every game I watched and sucked a lot of the times I didn't going by his stats. He reminds me of Clarence Weatherspoon. Short but crazy monkey arms. But shot poorly and likely hasn't impressed shooting in workouts. He's a scrapper though. Love to get him as a UDFA.
i was just wondering if he injured himself in team workouts or something. i've never seen him mocked that low - but who knows? maybe nbadraft.net is just playing mind games. like i said, the admiral was nowhere to be found on their two round mock either - and now that i look, neither was miye oni.

i tell you one thing - the list of "undrafteds" is going to be long and potentially eyeball popping.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

thinktank wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:53 am Hey thrill, this sounds exactly what I said yesterday. Do you still disagree with this approach?

From the Strib:

Need or best player?

Only crickets from thrill on this one.

:no:
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

He seems like a shorter Hakim Warrick to me.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Looking at next year's mock, I was surprised to see LaMelo ball projected at #3. I didn't think he was that highly regarded.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft
j2j

Post by j2j »

Dan33185 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:07 pm Looking at next year's mock, I was surprised to see LaMelo ball projected at #3. I didn't think he was that highly regarded.

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft
1. Nbadraft.net is straight trash
2. I HOPE he goes top 3. That kid is going to bust so hard. He's an absolute joke.