Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Philo Beddoe

Re: *** Official 2018-19 Draft Thread ***

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Could Wiggins be used to move up in draft? Say like from 13 to 8 or 9?
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
j2j

Post by j2j »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:26 pm Could Wiggins be used to move up in draft? Say like from 13 to 8 or 9?
We could trade Wiggins and #13 for the #27 pick probably.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

another guy we should probably do our due diligence on - texas C/PF jaxson hayes. rising on the board fast, but may fall around our draft slot - a lot to like about him as a modern big.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:02 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:26 pm Could Wiggins be used to move up in draft? Say like from 13 to 8 or 9?
We could trade Wiggins and #13 for the #27 pick probably.
:lol:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I doubt it -- that team will have to send back 25 mil in salary to make it work. (After the draft teams will have cap space of course)
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

How about Wiggins for Raptors 1st rd pick?

Who says no?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:56 pm How about Wiggins for Raptors 1st rd pick?

Who says no?
I think they maybe do that if Kawhi walks and want to blow it up
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

OliverMiller wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:58 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:56 pm How about Wiggins for Raptors 1st rd pick?

Who says no?
I think they maybe do that if Kawhi walks and want to blow it up
I do too. I wouod try to even get more. It's the only team I can going after him. It's going to be a full rebuild after this year for them and will put people in the seats.

They will make enough off him to justify the contract.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

do the raptors have a first round pick this year? nbadraft.net shows them only holding the #60 spot. i'd probably still do it even if we had to wait a year or two. and then, of course, it would be a higher pick because they'd be in the throes of their rebuild.

i'd love to also get siakam or anunoby in a deal like this - but i don't think they'd be selling off their young guys. the money still has to work, right? so i'd expect ibaka to be the biggest salary from their end to be included. he's got this year and next left at around $24M.

and so here's my latest short list of guys i like (and are realistic targets without major trades):

deandre hunter
daniel gafford
jaxson hayes
bruno fernando
sagaba konate
darius garland
brandon clarke
admiral schofield
chuma okeke
lagerald vick
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Just a reminder that is draft related. Remember when you all wanted Dennis Smith Jr. and I told you he was a puke and wanted no part? You all mocked me and said I was exaggerating the "evidence" ? Remember?

What happened to that guy? Haven't seen him in a few weeks.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

carlisle says it's a biz decision and that smith's advisors are telling him to stay away. i don't care one way or another. he's a young man and can make his own decisions - and he's chosen the petulant diva route. huge red flag for me. a true team player - no matter what position - would welcome the addition of a talent like doncic with grateful, open arms because it means the "team" has been hugely improved. to not have that response speaks volumes to me about smith's fragile ego and motivation.

btw, thrill - what's your take on jaxson?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Currently 12th in the tankathon standings.

http://www.tankathon.com/

I could see Memphis rebounding a little as well as Detroit and New Orleans. Those 3 teams are probably the only ones who would "catch us".

All this depends on how long RoCo is out though. Once he comes back (and assuming he is healthy and doesn't have a lot of rust) I could see us having a >.500 record with him.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:45 am carlisle says it's a biz decision and that smith's advisors are telling him to stay away. i don't care one way or another. he's a young man and can make his own decisions - and he's chosen the petulant diva route. huge red flag for me. a true team player - no matter what position - would welcome the addition of a talent like doncic with grateful, open arms because it means the "team" has been hugely improved. to not have that response speaks volumes to me about smith's fragile ego and motivation.

btw, thrill - what's your take on jaxson?
Guys like Smith are 100% off my board every year. Don't care how talented. If any of your rep is uncoachable, selfish, plays when he wants to, I never want any part. Those tendencies always come back.

As to Jaxson, I've only seen them twice this year. One game he did next to nothing, the other he blocked at least 4 shots and affected many others. Pretty sure they talked about him as one of those grew 8 inches as a Sr. but don't see it in his offensive game. Looks exceptionally rudimentary. But he moves his feet really well and you can tell he has good timing and loves to block shots. Hard to gauge the toughness and skill so far but he's on the radar to watch now though. Certainly a lot of fellow Longhorn Jarret Allen in him. Didn't see the same rebounding though.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:01 pm Currently 12th in the tankathon standings.

http://www.tankathon.com/

I could see Memphis rebounding a little as well as Detroit and New Orleans. Those 3 teams are probably the only ones who would "catch us".

All this depends on how long RoCo is out though. Once he comes back (and assuming he is healthy and doesn't have a lot of rust) I could see us having a >.500 record with him.
I think by that time we will be selling off and rightfully so. We are not mentally tough enough to run off the 7-8 game winning streak it will take to get us back in the playoff hunt.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

That was some bad ass Murphy tonight HHM. He may not be an NBA player now but you could throw him out there once a month and he'd get you a rebound a minute.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

another guy that would be good to look at is gonzaga's brandon clarke. crazy athletic, 6-8 215, long, perhaps the best defender in college ball, hitting his twos at nearly a 70% clip (and this includes a lot of jump shots, not just dunks), able to defend multiple positions - his per 40 numbers are 24.3 pts, 11.5 rebs with an absurd 4.5 blks. his downsides are that he doesn't shoot the three nor his FTs well at this point - but checks nearly every other box.

he's mocked everywhere from the 40s to the late lottery - another indication of how undecided and flat this draft is. referred to as a rich man's jordan bell. another comparison is covington. i'm wondering if this is a guy who could back up cov at the 3, but also play some 4 for us - and really help to ratchet up our post D and overall D in general.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:00 am another guy that would be good to look at is gonzaga's brandon clarke. crazy athletic, 6-8 215, long, perhaps the best defender in college ball, hitting his twos at nearly a 70% clip (and this includes a lot of jump shots, not just dunks), able to defend multiple positions - his per 40 numbers are 24.3 pts, 11.5 rebs with an absurd 4.5 blks. his downsides are that he doesn't shoot the three nor his FTs well at this point - but checks nearly every other box.

he's mocked everywhere from the 40s to the late lottery - another indication of how undecided and flat this draft is. referred to as a rich man's jordan bell. another comparison is covington. i'm wondering if this is a guy who could back up cov at the 3, but also play some 4 for us - and really help to ratchet up our post D and overall D in general.
I've probably seen them 10 times already. He was good against Duke and Zion. But have you seen them? I swear he's not more than maybe 6'5" 1/2. He's got great shot blocking instincts but he blocks almost every one below the rim when it's still in their hand. You know, the kind of clean block that is called a foul against any name player? I think he'll be a good small ball 4 defender and has the quicks to guard 3's. Just don't see him as a rim protector even though he blocks a ton of shots. Weird I know but there's Youtube on him. Go check it out and see if you see what I see.

Couple other guys I wanted to bring up. One is Derrick Culver who is the beneficiary of Konate's injury. He's raw as a freshman but he jumps off the screen. Reminds of young Kenyon Martin. Probably doesn't come out though. The other is long time 2nd round favorite of mine in Dante Hall. Always been a big fan of his. Knows his role and is coming into his own of late. FT's were always an issue but is shooting 76% on 4 a game now. He looks to me like the kind who hits NBA weight room and practices and becomes a legit 18-24 minute bench big who defends and rebounds.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:35 am
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:00 am another guy that would be good to look at is gonzaga's brandon clarke. crazy athletic, 6-8 215, long, perhaps the best defender in college ball, hitting his twos at nearly a 70% clip (and this includes a lot of jump shots, not just dunks), able to defend multiple positions - his per 40 numbers are 24.3 pts, 11.5 rebs with an absurd 4.5 blks. his downsides are that he doesn't shoot the three nor his FTs well at this point - but checks nearly every other box.

I've probably seen them 10 times already. He was good against Duke and Zion. But have you seen them? I swear he's not more than maybe 6'5" 1/2. He's got great shot blocking instincts but he blocks almost every one below the rim when it's still in their hand. You know, the kind of clean block that is called a foul against any name player? I think he'll be a good small ball 4 defender and has the quicks to guard 3's. Just don't see him as a rim protector even though he blocks a ton of shots. Weird I know but there's Youtube on him. Go check it out and see if you see what I see.

Couple other guys I wanted to bring up. One is Derrick Culver who is the beneficiary of Konate's injury. He's raw as a freshman but he jumps off the screen. Reminds of young Kenyon Martin. Probably doesn't come out though. The other is long time 2nd round favorite of mine in Dante Hall. Always been a big fan of his. Knows his role and is coming into his own of late. FT's were always an issue but is shooting 76% on 4 a game now. He looks to me like the kind who hits NBA weight room and practices and becomes a legit 18-24 minute bench big who defends and rebounds.
clarke had a pretty nice erasure of a zion shot that was above the rim - and he had that terrific posterization of yves pons of tennessee way above the rim. so i think he does both - seems really, really athletic with an intense defensive motor. although, as you've said, i think it'll be really interesting to see actual measurements for him at the combine. he's been listed at every position i think except PG. but i do think his great D extends beyond blocked shots - and as a modern nba player he offers a lot. sidenote about height and players we like: sagaba measured in at the combine last year at 6-6 without shoes. so, anyway, if you think that sagaba has a future in the paint in the nba, then you'll probably have to also allow that to clarke. clarke probably has at least an inch on konate.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:57 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:35 am

clarke had a pretty nice erasure of a zion shot that was above the rim - and he had that terrific posterization of yves pons of tennessee way above the rim. so i think he does both - seems really, really athletic with an intense defensive motor. although, as you've said, i think it'll be really interesting to see actual measurements for him at the combine. he's been listed at every position i think except PG. but i do think his great D extends beyond blocked shots - and as a modern nba player he offers a lot. sidenote about height and players we like: sagaba measured in at the combine last year at 6-6. so, anyway, if you think that sagaba has a future in the paint in the nba, then you'll probably have to also allow that to clarke. clarke probably has at least an inch on konate.
He's not taller than Konate and Konate has crazy long arms that Clarcke doesn't have. Konate is also probably 35 pounds of muscle heavier.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

clarke will be a tweener PF/SF in the nba and konate will be a tweener PF/C. two completely different body types. i just know a lot of wind went out of the sagaba sails when he measured 6-7.5 in shoes at last year's combine. his length is very good (7-0) but not kookaberries like, for example, KBD who goes an inch taller in shoes but has a wingspan of 7-3+. clarke's wingspan is estimated to be around 7-0, but nothing official has been showing up anywhere. i'd be happy with either. sagaba as a taj replacement - clarke as a backup to covington. both would shore up our paint D. (and i should say, sagaba's lingering knee issue is somewhat a concern - unless, of course, it drops his value all the way down to our second pick, at which point i'll count it a blessing.)
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 am Just a reminder that is draft related. Remember when you all wanted Dennis Smith Jr. and I told you he was a puke and wanted no part? You all mocked me and said I was exaggerating the "evidence" ? Remember?

Who are you talking about? The entirety of WC loved DSJ and thought you were stupid? What a bizarre post.

Hey guys, I remember when I thought Joel Embiid was a future MVP and multiple time All Star and all of you mocked me and said I was stupid and his feet sucked and said I was exaggerating. Remember? Me either.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:10 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 am Just a reminder that is draft related. Remember when you all wanted Dennis Smith Jr. and I told you he was a puke and wanted no part? You all mocked me and said I was exaggerating the "evidence" ? Remember?

Who are you talking about? The entirety of WC loved DSJ and thought you were stupid? What a bizarre post.

Hey guys, I remember when I thought Joel Embiid was a future MVP and multiple time All Star and all of you mocked me and said I was stupid and his feet sucked and said I was exaggerating. Remember? Me either.
Ever think that since it's your first post in this thread I wasn't talking to you and your one post knowledge of college ball?

You should always speak on things you know nothing about though. It will help you fit in with 90% of the world. Draft thread more for the 10% that actually do some research before spouting shit. Maybe head over to the Guy with a losing record but nice stats for MVP thread. That seems more your speed.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:37 pm

Ever think that since it's your first post in this thread I wasn't talking to you and your one post knowledge of college ball?

You should always speak on things you know nothing about though. It will help you fit in with 90% of the world. Draft thread more for the 10% that actually do some research before spouting shit. Maybe head over to the Guy with a losing record but nice stats for MVP thread. That seems more your speed.
Your last paragraph was incoherent, it made no sense. You’re not a college basketball expert. No one here thinks you are. You have takes, sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong. Just like everyone else in Wolves Chat. You seem to think your views mean more and then you write a post explaining how right you were on some random player. It’s just funny. That’s all.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:43 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:37 pm

Your last paragraph was incoherent, it made no sense. You’re not a college basketball expert. No one here thinks you are. You have takes, sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong. Just like everyone else in Wolves Chat. You seem to think your views mean more and then you write a post explaining how right you were on some random player. It’s just funny. That’s all.
What;s funny is that you seem to care so much that you have to comment twice. But your awesome analogy of you saying Embiid would be good was spot on. No one thought the automatic #1 pick minus the injury would be good. That's exactly the same as me saying there are red flags about Smith's attitude since high school and that he is a coach killer and I would never take him anywhere in the 1st when everyone wanted him. Exactly the same.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

latest nba draft net mock has us taking jarrett culver with our first. also available later on this mock were charles bassey, romeo langford, sekou doumbouya, darius garland, deandre hunter, bol bol, tre jones, jontay porter, kevin porter, jaxson hayes, kris wilkes and brandon clarke.

thoughts? the ones that stand out for me as likeable options are garland (PG), hunter (SF/PF), hayes (big) and clarke (SF/PF).
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'll be among the few to offer a caveat to his greatness. (and his greatness is undeniable). but 285 lbs, down and back on a hardwood court for 82 nba games per season - and with the height he gets on his vertical? those are still just human knees he's stressing. my bet is that the physical superhuman we're seeing at age 18 isn't going to be the same superhuman as early as age 23. doesn't mean he shouldn't be the overall #1 in this and every year - just means i think he'll be a supernova. brilliance, but not for the long haul.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:52 am i'll be among the few to offer a caveat to his greatness. (and his greatness is undeniable). but 285 lbs, down and back on a hardwood court for 82 nba games per season - and with the height he gets on his vertical? those are still just human knees he's stressing. my bet is that the physical superhuman we're seeing at age 18 isn't going to be the same superhuman as early as age 23. doesn't mean he shouldn't be the overall #1 in this and every year - just means i think he'll be a supernova. brilliance, but not for the long haul.
Could be. I just can't get enough of this guy. I was one who thought he was just a dunker coming out of high school since nearly every highlight of him was against high schoolers half his size. :lol:

But this kid has everything but a reliable 3 point shot. Amazing body control, good rebounder, good passer, nightmare in transition along with having go to moves in the half court, non stop motor, great instincts, sky high IQ and an incredible help defender which leads to so many blocks and steals.

As long as he doesn't get injured he is a surefire star.

Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:52 am i'll be among the few to offer a caveat to his greatness. (and his greatness is undeniable). but 285 lbs, down and back on a hardwood court for 82 nba games per season - and with the height he gets on his vertical? those are still just human knees he's stressing. my bet is that the physical superhuman we're seeing at age 18 isn't going to be the same superhuman as early as age 23. doesn't mean he shouldn't be the overall #1 in this and every year - just means i think he'll be a supernova. brilliance, but not for the long haul.
Dude I told you in spetember don't rip me but there hasn't been a guy like him since Lebron. I know you are watching and he looks more like him every day. Handle and finish with both hands? Crazy vision and passing for a big man and straight up once every 15 to 20 year freak athlete.

Lebron! It's who he is. There is not one current NBA player I wouldn't trade for him and laugh my ass off.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

The more I see Tre Jones, the more I really like him. Great defender, distributor, low turnovers, high basketball IQ. I would be plenty fine seeing him in a Wolves uniform.
Let's get Tropical