Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Top 10 Players In The League Thread***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
bubu dubu.

Re: ***Official Top 10 Players In The League Thread***

Post by bubu dubu. »

zeitgeist wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:17 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:29 am
zeitgeist wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:29 am Giannis is not quite the impact player that those top level guys are yet. He's absolutely not a perennial DPOY candidate, unless you're talking about being a top 10 finalist or something. There are several better defenders. His passing numbers look solid but he's not that great of a passer given how much he has the ball in his hands. He just has exceptional ball handling and quickness for a guy that size and certainly around the rim he's incredibly difficult to stop from scoring. He'll be in the top 5 sometime soon, maybe in the next 1-2 years but he's not there yet.
Perrenial DPOY was definitely an overstatement on my part. How about perennial All Defensive team candidate?
Sure, I could agree with that.
Then you take one of the top 10 or so defenders in the league (I'd put him higher because he can guard nearly every position), and match that with his offensive ability to not just score the ball extremely efficiently, but get his teammates involved...He's top 5 to me. Only thing missing from his game is the three point ability, which, I will state is extremely important nowadays. I just don't think its enough to put him as low as many here are.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:28 pm
zeitgeist wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:17 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:29 am

Perrenial DPOY was definitely an overstatement on my part. How about perennial All Defensive team candidate?
Sure, I could agree with that.
Then you take one of the top 10 or so defenders in the league (I'd put him higher because he can guard nearly every position), and match that with his offensive ability to not just score the ball extremely efficiently, but get his teammates involved...He's top 5 to me. Only thing missing from his game is the three point ability, which, I will state is extremely important nowadays. I just don't think its enough to put him as low as many here are.
I struggled between Jimmy and Giannis at 7th and 8th but gave Giannis the edge because he has been more durable and his game seems to be more resilient in the playoffs. With that said though, the Bucks seem to have at least a few solid players with Khris Middleton and Eric Bledsoe yet the team had a negative SRS, which is not good of course it didn't help they had Jason Kidd as a coach but still if Giannis is that great it's at least a red flag that the team isn't better. Giannis also measures below Jimmy in NPI RAPM. Jimmy rated as the better defender and offensive player by a decent margin. One thing people overlook with Jimmy is he is a standout passer who very rarely turns the ball over, that has a lot of value. He averages a few less points than Giannis but he's also on a team with more offensive firepower due to Towns, he's averaged more in the past.

It's easy to overvalue scoring though, it's what people do with Durant as well. I see most people place Durant ahead of Curry yet the difference between how well the Warriors play between when Curry is there and is not is night and day. Durant is probably a bit more resilient in the playoffs but he does not have the impact on the scoring margin that Curry does. Curry sees much more of the defensive pressure as well which makes it easier for Durant to score. Even Durant vs Westbrook, Westbrook has a bigger impact because he's more unpredictable. He's a much better passer than Durant and his very high motor playstyle is difficult for defenses to react to.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

I think it’s pretty insane that you have Westbrook over Durant.

Durant has twice proven that when a championship needs to be won, he will hit the biggest shots of the entire NBA season to win that championship.

And his defense has also risen to the occasion.

You say Westbrook’s unpredictability is valuable and I couldn’t disagree more.

Good morning.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

1. Steph Curry- the most efficient and best shooter that we have seen. Has 2 MVP seasons and 3 titles enroute to the last 4 NBA Finals. The King of the hill until someone else proves otherwise. AD has best shot, but not with current cast!

2. LeBron James- Top 5 All-time body of work and excellent jack of all trades. The perfect player of an entire era of basketball. Could be #1, but think he takes a step back this year.

3. Kevin Durant- still a shade behind LeBron but the best pure scorer in the game. Back to back champ in which he was Finals MVP twice. Unguardable when he wants to be. Truly wonder how much longer he stays in GS.

4. Anthony Davis- Could drag any 4 rubes to the playoffs. Will one day be the best player in the NBA and it probably won't be for the Pelicans who have this offseason rebooted his supporting cast yet again!

5. Kawhi Leonard- Might show some rust but by season end would be willing to bet this spot holds up for the best 2 way wing in the NBA. Might even be another trip to the Finals in his future this season.

6. Giannis Antetokounmpo- Has his shortcomings, but gets to where he wants with ease, has all around game, perennial all D, and all-NBA and has future MVP written all over him, maybe even this year.

7. James Harden- Had a wonderful season last year, but I would argue he has always choked in the playoffs and they had their foot on the Warriors neck and choked yet again. I think Houstons short window has closed!

8. Russell Westbrook- Mr. Triple double could be elevated into the top 5 again, but has to prove he can elevate into a WCF type run with a pretty good (certainly expensive) supporting cast.

9. Victor Oladipo- Who won the Paul George trade? Sitting in the corner watching RW pound the air out of the ball was a terrible fit for Vic. Turned the Pacers into a real deal ECF type thing in a very short time.

10. Damien Lillard- 1st team All-NBA PG needs to prove it with a deep playoff run to move any higher, but about as underappreciated of a superstar as we have ever seen in the NBA. Could make a case as best offesnve player in the league.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

thinktank wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:46 am I think it’s pretty insane that you have Westbrook over Durant.

Durant has twice proven that when a championship needs to be won, he will hit the biggest shots of the entire NBA season to win that championship.

And his defense has also risen to the occasion.

You say Westbrook’s unpredictability is valuable and I couldn’t disagree more.

Good morning.
Durant joined one of the best teams of all-time and continued to win, good job. Teams double team Curry much more often because they know who the real threat is. Durant and the Warriors without Curry this year looked like a mess.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Most teams look like a mess without their starting MVP point guard.

Without Curry and with Durant they were 16 -12. Not exactly a mess. Especially when Thompson missed 8 and Green missed 4 of those same games.

Also, the Warriors weren’t going to catch Houston anyway.

I don’t think the GSW’s play during an injury riddled stretch that didn’t have a bearing on their playoff seeding has much bearing on the Durant vs. Westbrook debate.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

zeitgeist i think it was you who said that westbrook's unpredictability makes life harder for defenses than durant. i disagree. when durant is on (which is most of the time) is shot is simply unblockable. that sort of shit makes life harder for defenses too. i'd go durant over russell. both players are great.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Durant want out? lol

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Froob wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:47 pm Still under construction but here’s where I’m at for now.

1. Lebron
2. Durant

3. Curry
4. Harden

5. Davis
6. Irving
7. Lillard
8. Oladipo
9. Mitchell
10. Greek Freak

I’m not sold that Kawhi will be healthy this year.
Kawhi dominating!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

This is easy

Lebron
KD
Kawhi
Curry
AD

Greek
Harden
Westbrook