Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves Sign Euroleague Standout James Nunnally

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
memyworld

Wolves Sign Euroleague Standout James Nunnally

Post by memyworld »

Moses Scurry

Re: Wolves Sign Euroleague Standout James Nunnally

Post by Moses Scurry »

Guess he didn't talk to Nemanja.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Meet the undrafted American in Europe drawing intrigue from smart NBA teams

Ben Rohrbach | Yahoo Sports | July 3, 2018, 2:25 PM GMT

The NBA is the dream. The NBA has always been the dream, and more than four years since he last played out a late-season 10-day contract, James Nunnally is on the precipice again.

Nunnally was between NBA workouts this past weekend. Minnesota Timberwolves coach and president of basketball operations Tom Thibodeau ran him through his wringer recently, and Portland Trail Blazers general manager Neil Olshey worked him out last week. He met with Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey on Sunday, and he’s got two more workouts scheduled with teams this week.

Most teams scout Europe now, even if one general manager didn’t know Fenerbahce — one of the EuroLeague powerhouses capable of competing with lottery-bound NBA teams — played in Turkey. But undrafted Americans who head overseas wear that moniker like a scarlet letter. They’re often overlooked by teams with blinders on for draft-eligible talents with star potential (LukaDoncic) or players who entered their consciousness through international competition (MilosTeodosic).

Teams will give former lottery picks like Brandon Jennings any number of chances after they punch a passport. But players like Nunnally often fall through the cracks of NBA scouting.

“I don’t think that some of the guys they’re sending over to watch are scouting hard enough for guys who are good enough,” Nunnally told Yahoo Sports. “They’ll watch a couple EuroLeague games if they’re watching somebody they want, but I don’t think they’re really going in and taking a really good look, because there are a lot of guys in Europe who can play — who are very good, very talented. But also there are a lot of guys who are not in the right situation to get looked at by someone, so it’s all about timing and where you’re positioned. I don’t think there’s a bias at all. You just have to be in the right place at the right time, and that’s all it takes.”

Nunnally is confident this is that time for him. After years toiling in the D-League and in a handful of international leagues, the 27-year-old UC Santa Barbara product emerged on Fenerbahce as arguably Europe’s best 3-and-D wing — a role so coveted in the NBA that the Phoenix Suns just traded the 16th overall pick and another unprotected first-rounder for the draft rights to 21-year-old Villanova forward Mikal Bridges … and then went out and spent $15 million on veteran wing shooter and stopper Trevor Ariza.

“I feel like I’m the top of the top when it comes to that,” Nunnally said of filling a 3-and-D role on a loaded Fenerbahce team that just lost in the EuroLeague title game to Doncic’s Real Madrid. “That’s just how I feel.”

Nunnally spent every July from 2012 through 2016 on an NBA Summer League roster. He played in the D-League during his first two years out of UCSB, earning all-rookie and all-league honors. Both the Atlanta Hawks and 76ers signed him to a pair of 10-day deals during the 2013-14 season.

“D-League is a really big grind,” he said. “You have to really want to make it, or you can get caught in the negative, when guys are getting called up and you’re not. You feel like you could be doing the same thing. Guys are playing for the numbers. There’s a lot of stuff like that. It’s a crab-bucket mentality. But making it, that just shows your determination, how strong your mind is, because you’re not getting paid a lot in the D-League. It’s not the money. It’s the opportunity.”

From there, he went to Puerto Rico, where he was waived after six games, and Spain, where he left after seven. Eventually, you get written off by most NBA front offices, including one that turned down a recent chance to work Nunnally out because they had seen him three years ago.

But those three years have meant a world of difference for Nunnally, who found his way in 2015-16 under Italy’s top developmental coach, Pino Sacripanti, on Sidigas Avellino, for whom Nunnally captured Italian League MVP honors. That earned him his spot on Fenerbahce.

In two years on one of Europe’s top teams, he owns the second-best 3-point percentage in EuroLeague history (50.7 percent), only a hair behind former Ohio State standout Jon Diebler. A year after helping Fenerbahce to the EuroLeague title, he shot 55.4 percent on almost three 3-point attempts per game this past season — the best high-volume percentage in the league.

Nunnally has taken 400 3-pointers over 120 games between the Turkish and Euro leagues the past two seasons, and he’s made more than half of them. There’s a statistical case to be made he’s the world’s most accurate professional shooter right now, and the 3-obsessed NBA is taking notice.

Granted, the leagues are different, and the 3-point line is, too (23 feet, 9 inches, in the NBA, compared to 22 feet, 1 3/4 inches in FIBA play). But Nunnally produced a true shooting percentage hovering around 70 percent — a number that would have led the NBA. He can shoot off the dribble, around screens or set up in a corner. One look at his film will show a 6-foot-7 athlete who can serve as a pick-and-roll playmaker, scoring at all three levels and adding a couple assists per 36 minutes. He also defends three positions, drawing the likes of Doncic on occasion this season.

“I feel like I’ve defended all the best players in Europe,” he said. The man lacks no confidence.

Nunnally left college knowing he could score with NBA talent. Orlando Johnson, his close friend at UCSB, was drafted 36th overall in 2012 and bounced around the league for four seasons. Finding your footing in the NBA requires a learning curve, and you have to love the game of basketball to take the path Nunnally did to find the other side of it. After spending the past few years learning how to be a role player under some of Europe’s best coaches, he’s there now.

“I knew how to get a bucket,” said Nunnally. “I know the game. I know where to go on the court, where to be, the right places. I feel like I have a fairly high IQ in basketball. I just know how to get the job done. I didn’t really have the fine-tuning I needed until I got to Europe. Seeing the different styles of play and different types of coaching, I feel like that really helped me get to where I am now, knocking on the door again. I feel like I’m ready. I got smarter. I got better.”

The NBA game has changed, too. Nunnally remembers watching “The Beautiful Game” San Antonio Spurs earlier this decade, spacing out the Miami Heat’s defense past its breaking point, and thinking he could play that kind of role. Now, as almost the entire league has adopted that pace-and-space style of play, prioritizing his position, the NBA is coming back to Nunnally.

“Five years ago, it was more isolation and mid-range, but when you look back — when the Spurs were playing the Heat, when Danny Green and Gary Neal were just going off — you saw what they were doing, just spreading the court,” said Nunnally. “It was crazy. They’re not the most coveted guys. Like, Danny Green breaks the record [for total 3-pointers made] in the NBA Finals. You don’t think of guys like that, but then they do it and open doors for guys like me.”

Think Joe Ingles, who averaged 10.1 points (on 47.6 percent shooting from 3), 4.8 rebounds and 4.6 assists per 36 minutes for Israel’s Maccabi Tel Aviv before the Utah Jazz gave him an NBA roster spot at age 27 in 2014; he’s gone on to become one of the NBA’s most accurate shooters and a vital contributor on a resurgent Jazz team that just made the second round of the playoffs.

In this, his age 27 season, Nunnally averaged 16.2 points (on 55.4 percent shooting from 3), 3.6 rebounds and 2.3 assists per 36 minutes for Fenerbahce.

Utah is one of a few teams drawing from the untapped resource of European role players. Royce O’Neale is another example. The Boston Celtics — who just signed Nunnally’s Fenerbahce teammate, Brad Wanamaker, a year after inking Daniel Theis — are there, too. The Spurs, Toronto Raptors and Oklahoma City Thunder are also among those mining overseas.

The smart teams, basically.

In all, 10 teams have reached out about Nunnally’s availability. Nine of them were playoff teams last season, and the other — the Los Angeles Clippers — just missed the postseason. Are these teams putting out feelers for solid role players because they know they’re a piece or two away from legitimacy? Or are they just smarter than a team like, say, the Brooklyn Nets, who just used a late first-round pick on the hope that 19-year-old Croatian Dzanan Musa becomes what at least one undrafted American already is in Europe — a rotational player in his prime?

Nunnally might answer that question this season.

“The NBA is big on potential, but what happens when potential doesn’t pan out?” added Nunnally. “That’s why a lot of guys who come out of college are quick — three or four years and out of the league. Because I don’t think they’ve been developed the right way … When you come back from Europe or you’re a second-round pick, you’re not going to be thought of as a franchise player. You’re going to be a role player. You have to be able to do your role to a T.”

Nunnally wants a guaranteed deal and a chance to play. If he doesn’t find one, he’ll return to Fenerbahce or another Euro power. Former Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt is calling from Olympiacos. And a world-class shooter will put his NBA dream on hold for another year.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

55.4 percent shooting from 3

I got my Courtney Lee finally!!!!!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

3 and D Wing. Tried out for POR and HOU too. Shot 55% from three last year.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Froob
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2018***

Post by Froob »

I really love this signing.

I’m a little concerned that we don’t have enough depth at PF, but maybe Gibson and Tolliver are enough.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:12 pm :thinking:

He's not 40, he's not 5'7", and he can shoot the 3?

:shock:
The Wolves were targeting me?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Froob wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:03 pm I really love this signing.

I’m a little concerned that we don’t have enough depth at PF, but maybe Gibson and Tolliver are enough.
I think you've got KBD soaking up some minutes at the 4 too. Plus hopefully Patton is back after a few months adding another big to the rotation who can play either PF or C.

This seems like a savvy signing. Need that wing depth.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Fine with me -- only 20 minutes a game in Europe (which I know they manage minutes a lot differently over there). Guessing he comes in as a guy who can give them a different look as the backup 3. I wouldn't mind seeing him mixed in with some lineups next to Butler or Wiggins when one of them is out. Put a pure shooter out there who can defend .... yep, works for me.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

What's not to like? If he can D, shoot from range, play hard with a chip on his shoulder, I am on board. Pleasant surprise.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

This is Boner-Bot material. I love this dude. He looks like a cheaper, yet possibly better, CJ Miles.
T_J

Post by T_J »

15 posts and no melt downs? Must be Euro-Jordan.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Not that I expect a ton from the two rooks or Nunnally, but this team is flat out better than it was last season already by quite a bit. IMO. Chemistry and drive should be much stronger just with the personalities they have now.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Well, at least we should shoot a bit better than last year...
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

irishman89 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:21 pm Not that I expect a ton from the two rooks or Nunnally, but this team is flat out better than it was last season already by quite a bit. IMO. Chemistry and drive should be much stronger just with the personalities they have now.
Can't look at the pickups (2 rooks, Nunnaly, Tolliver) and not think it's time for the 2 holdouts (Towns and Wigs) to buy in to the culture. Smarter and tougher.

If he is as advertised will be a nice minutes eater that will allow Okogie to get early Gleague run to refine some skills. Looks like a great sign on paper.
T_J

Post by T_J »

irishman89 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:21 pm Not that I expect a ton from the two rooks or Nunnally, but this team is flat out better than it was last season already by quite a bit. IMO. Chemistry and drive should be much stronger just with the personalities they have now.
Much better wing depth. Our best backup "wing" last year was Rose or I suppose Belly when Jimmy was out.

I won't miss Crawford pounding the air out of the ball and chucking or Belly passing up his one job in wide open 3 pointers. Shabazz and his one move is thankfully gone.

Our starting 5 was pretty good last year, but the bench chemistry was bleh. I agree it should have the potential to be much better with more options and less one dimensional guys.
Froob
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2018***

Post by Froob »

Yes indeed. Top to bottom a significantly deeper team. Here are the pieces that have changed:

Rose
Tolliver
Nunnally
KBD
Patton
Okogie
CJ Williams
Terrell

...are better than...

Crawford
Aldrich
Brooks
Brown
MGH
Shabazz

This is good!
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

So we are at what?

Teague-Tyus-Rose
Butler-Rose-CJ Williams-Okogie
Wiggins-Nunnally-Okogie
Taj-Tolliver-KBD
Towns-Gorgui-Patton
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

happy about this. let's roll!
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Gotta be the end of CJ isn't it? What his point now? Replace him with a young big.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Probably won't see the floor very much at all.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Who?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:34 pmWho?
Euroleague standout, James Nunnally
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Even though I only learned of who he is a few hours ago, this to me is a better signing than 'Melo to Houston.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:47 pm
I couldn’t tell James Nunnally from James Gandolfini.

- Isaac Asimov
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:21 pm
James Nunnally is the guy who was a Euroleague standout.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:26 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:21 pm

James Nunnally is the guy who was a Euroleague standout.
He was great on that show. A real modern complex anti-hero.

- Isaac Asimov
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Good, I guess?
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

R E L A X.

Belly was the MVP of Euroleague, and Thibbs got rid of him for Tolly who the Wolves had dumped before.

Hope this guy can play and provide a few minutes off the bench.

GSW GET THE F OUT THE WAY!!!