Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves select Josh Okogie in first round

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
JigglyPuff

Re: Wolves select Josh Okogie in first round

Post by JigglyPuff »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:43 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:07 pm Also, why were people thinking we were specifically looking for a shooter? Our defense sucked too.
Because people are "modern NBA" people and think we need to be GS or nothing. Rusillo was on late sportcenter last night just laughing at fans for this mentality. "Oh who's he gonna guard on GS?" Who fucking cares about GS. Just get better. Do what you do.

Our D sucks.................................He's great at it

We stink from 3.............................he hits them.

We're not good rebounding.................he is.

We're soft.......................................he's an animal

We attack the rim. ............................he does and gets fouled and makes 83%

He will play from day 1. He could score half as much as Crawford and be twice as valuable.
Don't forget he's only 19.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

I don't know anything about this guy other than his measurables are pretty insane. 7 foot wingspan, 220 lbs, 6'4, that's legit.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:11 pm https://bleacherreport.com/articles/278 ... olves-pick
The Minnesota Timberwolves selected Josh Okogie in the 2018 NBA draft with the No. 20 overall pick.

His 18.2 points per game were overlooked during the season as Georgia Tech struggled through conference play. But then Okogie showed up to the NBA combine and emerged as one of the top players during five-on-fives. He became one of the biggest risers during the predraft process and now enters the sleeper conversation in this year's rookie class.

Quick hitters

Size: 6'4½"

Weight: 210.8 pounds

Wingspan: 7'0"

Reach: 8'6"

Pro player comparison: Will Barton

Offensive strengths

Okogie has a tremendous mix of strength, length and athleticism that's built for attacking downhill. He got to the free-throw line 6.8 times per game, but he also ranked in the 93rd percentile in catch-and-shoot jumpers. When given a ball screen, he was an effective scorer with the pull-up, making 8-of-19 attempts coming off the pick. Okogie only saw 16 possessions out of isolation, but he scored 24 points on those possessions, converting 9-of-15 opportunities.

Offensive weaknesses

He only shot 43.2 percent inside the arc and struggled at the rim, where he shot 44.6 percent. Okogie missed all 10 of his floater attempts, and he shot 32.5 percent on dribble jumpers. He graded in the 13th percentile in pick-and-roll passing while totaling just one assist out of isolation. Overall, he averaged 2.5 assists to 2.5 turnovers. He'll need to improve his handles and awareness off the dribble.

Defensive outlook

Okogie's defensive potential is a major selling point, given his tools and playmaking ability. He's not the tallest, but his strength and wingspan are A+ for a guard. He can easily cover both backcourt positions plus the occasional wing. He also finished with the fastest sprint time and tied for highest max vertical at the combine. Okogie averaged 1.8 steals and 1.0 blocks per game playing tough, active defense, though he occasionally shows fatigue.

Rookie outlook

Okogie could surprise next year moving from a weak college team to the pros, where he won't be asked to carry such a heavy workload. He's a sleeper pick to emerge as an impact rookie who'll benefit from a better supporting cast and more space to drive. He'll also make his fair share of mistakes that highlight occasional poor shot selection and a drop-off in effort.

Projected role: Scoring role player

With NBA tools and athleticism, confident scoring ability and production to back it up, Okogie is a steal candidate. He was slept on throughout the year playing for a lousy team, and he'll have the chance to be a two-way player who can apply pressure at both ends in the NBA. The fact that he's made gradual improvement since high school suggests he can continue to trend upward.
Yea. Corey Brewer 2.0
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

zeitgeist wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:57 pm I don't know anything about this guy other than his measurables are pretty insane. 7 foot wingspan, 220 lbs, 6'4, that's legit.
I’m with you. Totally off my radar, but some impressive numbers.

Here’s a few more:

Vertical leap - 42”
Max Vertical reach - 12’

Those are absolutely elite numbers.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Webmaster J

Post by Webmaster J »

GREAT PICK, WELL DONE WOLVES!
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

qrocks wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:08 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:11 pm https://bleacherreport.com/articles/278 ... olves-pick
The Minnesota Timberwolves selected Josh Okogie in the 2018 NBA draft with the No. 20 overall pick.

His 18.2 points per game were overlooked during the season as Georgia Tech struggled through conference play. But then Okogie showed up to the NBA combine and emerged as one of the top players during five-on-fives. He became one of the biggest risers during the predraft process and now enters the sleeper conversation in this year's rookie class.

Quick hitters

Offensive strengths

Okogie has a tremendous mix of strength, length and athleticism that's built for attacking downhill. He got to the free-throw line 6.8 times per game, but he also ranked in the 93rd percentile in catch-and-shoot jumpers. When given a ball screen, he was an effective scorer with the pull-up, making 8-of-19 attempts coming off the pick. Okogie only saw 16 possessions out of isolation, but he scored 24 points on those possessions, converting 9-of-15 opportunities.

Offensive weaknesses

He only shot 43.2 percent inside the arc and struggled at the rim, where he shot 44.6 percent. Okogie missed all 10 of his floater attempts, and he shot 32.5 percent on dribble jumpers. He graded in the 13th percentile in pick-and-roll passing while totaling just one assist out of isolation. Overall, he averaged 2.5 assists to 2.5 turnovers. He'll need to improve his handles and awareness off the dribble.

Defensive outlook

Okogie's defensive potential is a major selling point, given his tools and playmaking ability. He's not the tallest, but his strength and wingspan are A+ for a guard. He can easily cover both backcourt positions plus the occasional wing. He also finished with the fastest sprint time and tied for highest max vertical at the combine. Okogie averaged 1.8 steals and 1.0 blocks per game playing tough, active defense, though he occasionally shows fatigue.

Rookie outlook

Okogie could surprise next year moving from a weak college team to the pros, where he won't be asked to carry such a heavy workload. He's a sleeper pick to emerge as an impact rookie who'll benefit from a better supporting cast and more space to drive. He'll also make his fair share of mistakes that highlight occasional poor shot selection and a drop-off in effort.

With NBA tools and athleticism, confident scoring ability and production to back it up, Okogie is a steal candidate. He was slept on throughout the year playing for a lousy team, and he'll have the chance to be a two-way player who can apply pressure at both ends in the NBA. The fact that he's made gradual improvement since high school suggests he can continue to trend upward.

Yea. Corey Brewer 2.0
:no: :no: :no: :no:
T_J

Post by T_J »

qrocks wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Quick hitters

Offensive strengths

Offensive weaknesses

Defensive outlook

Rookie outlook

Yea. Corey Brewer 2.0
Is this sarcastic? Corey Brewer has been a solid NBA role player and would be pretty good value at pick 20. I'd be totally fine with that.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:01 am Some dude (Celts fan) breaking down Josh vs. Zhaire Smith and some other dudes.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
That's a great vid. Love the Oladipo comp. Can't believe I couldn't come up with that. Thanks for posting.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Stork311 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:34 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:01 am Some dude (Celts fan) breaking down Josh vs. Zhaire Smith and some other dudes.

i agree that because he is from Nigeria he must be a Oladepo clone...AND related to Giannis. I mean, of course he is...right? 5th cousins at least.
Or you could remember who Oladipo was in college and acknowledge what a good comp it actually is.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:26 pm
zeitgeist wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:57 pm I don't know anything about this guy other than his measurables are pretty insane. 7 foot wingspan, 220 lbs, 6'4, that's legit.

Here’s a few more:

Vertical leap - 42”
Max Vertical reach - 12’

Plenty of youtube. Go watch him.
Style

Post by Style »

I’m less upset about the pick than I was last night. I think the element of surprise got me last night. That and wings getting plucked like 7-8 picks in a row before us.

Hoping he’s the 4th wing. 3rd wing MLE. There are pieces in place to run this thing back and strive for some internal improvement.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:50 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Here’s a few more:

Vertical leap - 42”
Max Vertical reach - 12’

Plenty of youtube. Go watch him.
Any videos with actual analysis? Or just hype videos to crappy hip-hop that make him look like Michael Jordan...
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:46 pm
Stork311 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:34 pm

i agree that because he is from Nigeria he must be a Oladepo clone...AND related to Giannis. I mean, of course he is...right? 5th cousins at least.
Or you could remember who Oladipo was in college and acknowledge what a good comp it actually is.
My point was it has nothing to do with being Nigerian. When he went to the map and educated us all that because giannis and our boy were likely distant cousins because they both they have relatives in Lagos, he became just another moms basement geek.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Tom Thibodeau wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:41 pm GREAT PICK, WELL DONE WOLVES!
:lol:
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEVGswKurcY

He has mad hops and a very quick first step. Nice motor.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Best player we have ever picked in the draft.....EVER!

Best Draft we have ever had.....EVER!!!

God I love RubeChat. :mrgreen:

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:05 am http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEVGswKurcY

The comments are funny, we drafted Wiggins replacement.

Also, this is who we traded Rubio for. Hopefully he gives us the next Donovan Mitchell. Difference in measurables, OK is taller, has a 2" wider wingspan, and bigger hands.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:30 am Best player we have ever picked in the draft.....EVER!

I'm sorry but isn't this somehow proof that Taylor hates Thibs and he's on the way out?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:48 am
jodaman01 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:30 am Best player we have ever picked in the draft.....EVER!

I'm sorry but isn't this somehow proof that Taylor hates Thibs and he's on the way out?
Lol
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

kilkenny wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:05 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:05 am http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEVGswKurcY

Also, this is who we traded Rubio for. Hopefully he gives us the next Donovan Mitchell. Difference in measurables, OK is taller, has a 2" wider wingspan, and bigger hands.
I just hope he can be a solid contributor off the bench in 15 mins spurts.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Making player comps based on perceived familial lineage from a city of 21 million people. Classic. :lol:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

His percentage at the rim is really poor. That's the one thing that worries me a bit. But with less pressure on him and playing as someone who the defense isn't constantly keying on, hopefully it shoots up in the NBA.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:11 am
kilkenny wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:05 am

I just hope he can be a solid contributor off the bench in 15 mins spurts.
This. :clap:

Hopefully they found a good player who can contribute. Let's trade Wiggins because we got Devin Mitchell Olidipo is over the top.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

YBBR wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:54 am His percentage at the rim is really poor. That's the one thing that worries me a bit. But with less pressure on him and playing as someone who the defense isn't constantly keying on, hopefully it shoots up in the NBA.
I watched a bit of Okogie online and one reason why his percentages at the rim are poor is he really draws a lot of contact. Most of this is deliberate and he gets to the line a lot. But he doesn't get to the line every time there is contact. Another reason for this is that it is true that Tech was a bad team and Okogie was about 95% of their offense. Teams just rotated to the rim when he drove so he was often going up against virtually the whole ACC-opponent when he drove. The GT offensive spacing just did not give him any lanes to the rim.

One other thing I noticed, Okogie is a great rhythm shooter. That is why he is in the 93rd percentile of catch and shoot output. But, as a standstill shooter his shot leaves a lot to be desired and he clanged a lot of shots. He is best when he is moving, spinning, and pulling up. I think he has a step back, but I did not see him exhibit a step back at range. Don't get me wrong, he has a lot of potential as a 3 zone shooter and teams are going to have to worry about him taking it by defenders on the closeout, so he will get reasonable room to shoot which should help him in the NBA.

I see him capable of stepping into Crawford's minutes right away. At a minimum he gives the team a big defensive-energy boost when he is on the floor. He is a guy that can add net value just in that capacity. Then you get him running the floor in transition, pounding the glass as a backcourt guy which he is very good and very persistent, and then develop his half court game as you go.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Watch this game and drool over how good he's going to fit.

Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Went back and watched Lazar Hayward’s 2010 highlight reel and got a hard on about how well he is going to fit with that team.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:39 am Watch this game and drool over how good he's going to fit.

Could be next years Donovan Mitchell. Unless Thibs neuters him.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Stork311 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:30 am Went back and watched Lazar Hayward’s 2010 highlight reel and got a hard on about how well he is going to fit with that team.
Because that's something a normal person would do.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Now watching Johnny Flynn’s game against u conn. Can’t miss.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:31 am
Stork311 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:30 am Went back and watched Lazar Hayward’s 2010 highlight reel and got a hard on about how well he is going to fit with that team.
Because that's something a normal person would do.
or something a troll might say he did.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.