Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves select Josh Okogie in first round

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
bubu dubu.

Wolves select Josh Okogie in first round

Post by bubu dubu. »

No official thread yet? the pick happened almost an hour ago.

I like the pick. I feel they were targeting him with a trade down, but oh well, he's fine at 20.
LordNu

Re: Wolves select Josh Okogie in first round

Post by LordNu »

I think we are surprised because we were looking (as Wolves fans) to draft a shooter, not D.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:02 pm I think we are surprised because we were looking (as Wolves fans) to draft a shooter, not D.
I havent been following the "official draft thread", so I'm unaware of Wolves chat opinion right now. He seems like an alright player though. Total Thibs guy. Not saying he's going to be as good as Donovan Mitchell, its likely he won't be, but his scouting report is very similar.

Who was Wolves chat wanting? Shamet?
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

No idea who this kid is. His Espn.com write makes him sound like he has no idea how to play basketball. Neat.
Guess Thibs is hoping for an a very Bradley type out of him or something? Defender who learns how to play o?
Write up basically says he can’t dribble shoot or pass.
some sort of Brewer Wes Wiggins Rodney Carney style dribbler? lol.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Also, why were people thinking we were specifically looking for a shooter? Our defense sucked too.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:02 pm I think we are surprised because we were looking (as Wolves fans) to draft a shooter, not D.
While both are important, we need anyone that can play D. Butler and Teague are good enough to take a few more between the both of them, KAT could shoot maybe 1 more, Bjelica (if he comes back) can knock them down. Dieng is getting fairly good at corner threes. One of the biggest problems is we simply don't shoot enough 3's. We were 19th in 3 point percentage which isn't great, yet we were 30th in attempts.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

boxter432 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:06 pm No idea who this kid is. His Espn.com write makes him sound like he has no idea how to play basketball. Neat.
Guess Thibs is hoping for an a very Bradley type out of him or something? Defender who learns how to play o?
Write up basically says he can’t dribble shoot or pass.
some sort of Brewer Wes Wiggins Rodney Carney style dribbler? lol.
He played a lot of point at GT, so sure, for a point, I guess he can't handle. He's not a point in the NBA though.
scooter13

Post by scooter13 »

Ndubi Ebi ,,again
I still have that 42" first place Karate trophy :)
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Glad I stayed out of the official draft thread, sounds like there was a meltdown.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/278 ... olves-pick
The Minnesota Timberwolves selected Josh Okogie in the 2018 NBA draft with the No. 20 overall pick.

His 18.2 points per game were overlooked during the season as Georgia Tech struggled through conference play. But then Okogie showed up to the NBA combine and emerged as one of the top players during five-on-fives. He became one of the biggest risers during the predraft process and now enters the sleeper conversation in this year's rookie class.

Quick hitters

Size: 6'4½"

Weight: 210.8 pounds

Wingspan: 7'0"

Reach: 8'6"

Pro player comparison: Will Barton

Offensive strengths

Okogie has a tremendous mix of strength, length and athleticism that's built for attacking downhill. He got to the free-throw line 6.8 times per game, but he also ranked in the 93rd percentile in catch-and-shoot jumpers. When given a ball screen, he was an effective scorer with the pull-up, making 8-of-19 attempts coming off the pick. Okogie only saw 16 possessions out of isolation, but he scored 24 points on those possessions, converting 9-of-15 opportunities.

Offensive weaknesses

He only shot 43.2 percent inside the arc and struggled at the rim, where he shot 44.6 percent. Okogie missed all 10 of his floater attempts, and he shot 32.5 percent on dribble jumpers. He graded in the 13th percentile in pick-and-roll passing while totaling just one assist out of isolation. Overall, he averaged 2.5 assists to 2.5 turnovers. He'll need to improve his handles and awareness off the dribble.

Defensive outlook

Okogie's defensive potential is a major selling point, given his tools and playmaking ability. He's not the tallest, but his strength and wingspan are A+ for a guard. He can easily cover both backcourt positions plus the occasional wing. He also finished with the fastest sprint time and tied for highest max vertical at the combine. Okogie averaged 1.8 steals and 1.0 blocks per game playing tough, active defense, though he occasionally shows fatigue.

Rookie outlook

Okogie could surprise next year moving from a weak college team to the pros, where he won't be asked to carry such a heavy workload. He's a sleeper pick to emerge as an impact rookie who'll benefit from a better supporting cast and more space to drive. He'll also make his fair share of mistakes that highlight occasional poor shot selection and a drop-off in effort.

Projected role: Scoring role player

With NBA tools and athleticism, confident scoring ability and production to back it up, Okogie is a steal candidate. He was slept on throughout the year playing for a lousy team, and he'll have the chance to be a two-way player who can apply pressure at both ends in the NBA. The fact that he's made gradual improvement since high school suggests he can continue to trend upward.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:10 pm Glad I stayed out of the official draft thread, sounds like there was a meltdown.
? You posted multiple times in the thread and there are like 4 posts reacting to the pick. Did a bunch of posts get deleted or am I missing something
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Don’t know anything about this kid.

I hope he’s good.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

boxter432 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:16 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:10 pm Glad I stayed out of the official draft thread, sounds like there was a meltdown.
? You posted multiple times in the thread and there are like 4 posts reacting to the pick. Did a bunch of posts get deleted or am I missing something
I didnt post a single time in the "official" thread prior to tonight.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

boxter432 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:16 pm
I see what you did, you confused some threads, here is the official thread...

http://forum.mnrubecentral.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=10075
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

No it wasn't a meltdown, it was feeling of confusion; the guy didn't get much of a mention pre-draft by any of us.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:20 pm
No it wasn't a meltdown, it was feeling of confusion; the guy didn't get much of a mention pre-draft by any of us.
went back to check the posts, looks like a meltdown. Backtracking to where the pick happened, the first post I saw on the pick was "fuck this."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:25 pm
went back to check the posts, looks like a meltdown. Backtracking to where the pick happened, the first post I saw on the pick was "fuck this."
Dude, last year was a meltdown with that trade. This is mild.

I think Mayo for Love was the breakdown.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

I can't post the board-friendly YouTube embed links form my phone, but maybe someone can grab the right links for me:

Why scouts like Josh:
https://youtu.be/RfTf1WOvHgk

Why Thibs likes Josh:
https://youtu.be/X1r3ve5dXKE

38% from three and 82% from the line at nearly 2 SPG. Plays best off the ball where he converted 1.4 points per catch and shoot attempt (93rd percentile). Tough dude, who apparently can guard three positions with 7' wingspan.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:25 pm
Keep reading. That’s our overlord posting that like 5x lol.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

We got him.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

memyworld wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:29 pm I can't post the board-friendly YouTube embed links form my phone, but maybe someone can grab the right links for me:

Why scouts like Josh:
http://youtu.be/RfTf1WOvHgk

Why Thibs likes Josh:
http://youtu.be/X1r3ve5dXKE

38% from three and 82% from the line at nearly 2 SPG. Plays best off the ball where he converted 1.4 points per catch and shoot attempt (93rd percentile). Tough dude, who apparently can guard three positions with 7' wingspan.
Few rules why Youtube won't work: if posted from a mobile sometimes, or if the video is a series of videos, or the video starts from somewhere other than the start.

Otherwise, take the s out of https.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Keita Bates-Diop tho.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm
memyworld wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:29 pm I can't post the board-friendly YouTube embed links form my phone, but maybe someone can grab the right links for me:

Why scouts like Josh:

Why Thibs likes Josh:

Few rules why Youtube won't work: if posted from a mobile sometimes, or if the video is a series of videos, or the video starts from somewhere other than the start.

I run into this on desktop, too, but I can just snag the address URL there. It's their shortened "youtu.be" link that trips up the code. Not sure why the developer hasn't updated this yet. It's the new default for YouTube share link.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

We won't know if this was the right pick for like 3-4 years. Didn't know anything about him.

After armchair gm'ing his YouTube stuff and reading you can easily see why Thibs would like him

And yeah. A poor man's Donovan Mitchell/Will Barton comp kinda looks accurate to me
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

memyworld wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Why scouts like Josh:

Why Thibs likes Josh:

I run into this on desktop, too, but I can just snag the address URL there. It's their shortened "youtu.be" link that trips up the code. Not sure why the developer hasn't updated this yet. It's the new default for YouTube share link.
You don't copy and paste from the address bar?
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

edit: post was meant for the draft thread.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Digging some more into this guy, he tested similar or better athletically than Zhaire Smith at the combine, who I, and many others thought may have been the best athlete in the draft.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 pm Digging some more into this guy, he tested similar or better athletically than Zhaire Smith at the combine, who I, and many others thought may have been the best athlete in the draft.
He may very well end up a stud. We just haven't got much info on him. But those kinds of stats are intriguing.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Total Thibs pick. I think he'll get burn year 1.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
j2j

Post by j2j »

I'm hype. ROY and MVP next year.

Bit of an unknown, but loving what I'm reading and seeing.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***