Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves select Josh Okogie in first round

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Re: Wolves select Josh Okogie in first round

Post by jodaman01 »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:37 am
jodaman01 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:25 am New Nickname:

O-For-What Okogie!

:lol: :lol:
You’re so transparent. It’s honestly sad.
Help Us, O-For-What. You’re Our Only Hope.

Or maybe it’s KBD now that Okogie has clearly joined the Dark Side of the Force.

:fight:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't understand it either unless joda is simply a troll. which is the way i'm leaning.

KBD missed 8 shots last night. karl missed 11. bayless missed 6. okogie missed 4. we got beat by a better team on a night when we were missing 3 of our starters plus our sixth man. oh joy and rapture, i guess, joda.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Makes up arguments nobody created to pat himself on the back. He's just a jackass is all he is. It'd be nice if he'd shut the fuck up and stop repeating himself day in and out.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 am i don't understand it either unless joda is simply a troll. which is the way i'm leaning.

KBD missed 8 shots last night. karl missed 11. bayless missed 6. okogie missed 4. we got beat by a better team on a night when we were missing 3 of our starters plus our sixth man. oh joy and rapture, i guess, joda.
It’s not joy and rapture. It’s putting it directly in the face of the people on this board with their daily Wiggins ax grinding... they bitch whether he plays or not. It’s become ridiculous.

They made a false idol in Okogie, demanded he is already better and needs to start. They were wrong - the kid is fried and has hit the wall. His inability to hit wide open, and I mean the widest of open shots has cost this Team wins down the stretch here. Now they have moved onto KBD with the same bullshit.

This is for them and it is for their own good.

I get Wiggins has performed terribly this season, but this unfortunately has been a throw away season thanks to a fucked up first half, and now big coaching change in the second half. I still believe Wiggins and Covington need to start when healthy, just keep overhyping these kids and begging for players like Harrison Barnes to replace Wiggins. It makes this kind of lesson all to easy.

And - 0-For-What Okogie - C’mon, it’s damn funny.
T_J

Post by T_J »

"They" "They're wrong, I'm right" "Jodamus" "Thibs made the picks so they suck automatically" "it's not Wiggins fault"

Pats self on back again for thinking he's funny.

What a fucking dipshit.
witljon

Post by witljon »

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the other night James Harden played his first game with Houston without a free throw attempt, thanks to the great defense by Josh Okogie.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

witljon wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:48 pm I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the other night James Harden played his first game with Houston without a free throw attempt, thanks to the great defense by Josh Okogie.
I love this guy so much.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:49 pm
witljon wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:48 pm I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the other night James Harden played his first game with Houston without a free throw attempt, thanks to the great defense by Josh Okogie.
I love this guy so much.
Remember this play from earlier in the year??

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:30 pm
I love this guy so much.

Without doubt you ask me next fall what I remember from last year that's play #1. Favorite player eating my least favorite player alive.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:53 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:30 pm
I love this guy so much.

Without doubt you ask me next fall what I remember from last year that's play #1. Favorite player eating my least favorite player alive.
This and D Rose going for 50 are my enduring memories of this year.

- Carl Jung
witljon

Post by witljon »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:53 pm Without doubt you ask me next fall what I remember from last year that's play #1. Favorite player eating my least favorite player alive.
Why the dislike for The Beard?
He's a super talent who may be the best in the league.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:51 am
Thrillkill wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:53 pm Without doubt you ask me next fall what I remember from last year that's play #1. Favorite player eating my least favorite player alive.
His game is aesthetically awful and it’s ruining the basketball experience.

- Carl Jung
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

This kid has shown so much this year, next year we need to roll with Okogie and RoCo as our starters and have Wiggins be our 6th man.. unfortunately I doubt Saunders would do that..
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

Interesting that Obi wan and KAT have improved defensively and the whole team hasn't. I'll give Obi wan and KAT credit! I'm sure people around the league took notice when Obi wan held Harden to 20 points and Harden didn't get to the line the whole game. That is a statement game!!!! Yea us for having Obi wan to cheer for!!!

It is easy to assume Obi wan is going to improve more over the summer than Wiggins. Given that, it is easy to assume Obi wan will probably beat Wiggins out for the starting SG spot next year as overall right now Obi wan is more effective than Wiggins.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:42 am This kid has shown so much this year, next year we need to roll with Okogie and RoCo as our starters and have Wiggins be our 6th man.. unfortunately I doubt Saunders would do that..
I’m emamoured with the kid too, but he’s shooting 38% from the floor and 28% from 3 this year.

Both those numbers need to come up considerably for him to become a serviceable starter.

- Carl Jung
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:50 am
witljon wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:51 am
His game is aesthetically awful and it’s ruining the basketball experience.
What I find so awful is the accolades for his 40 point games where he travels 20 times and commits 20 offensive fouls that he somehow get to shoot FT's for.

He's a cheater and the league helps him do it. It's pathetic and not basketball.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:17 am
Rusty Kuntz wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:42 am This kid has shown so much this year, next year we need to roll with Okogie and RoCo as our starters and have Wiggins be our 6th man.. unfortunately I doubt Saunders would do that..
I’m emamoured with the kid too, but he’s shooting 38% from the floor and 28% from 3 this year.

Both those numbers need to come up considerably for him to become a serviceable starter.
Allen Iverson had seasons with those numbers. He has shown the ability to shoot and he will improve but he is the absolute poster boy for a player that can not be measured by the stat sheet.
T_J

Post by T_J »

He shot 82% from the line his 2nd yr of college and 38% from 3. Not exactly apples to apples, but I think he'll be just fine going forward, especially since we're not looking to run our offense through him.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

T_J wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:24 am

He shot 82% from the line his 2nd yr of college and 38% from 3. Not exactly apples to apples, but I think he'll be just fine going forward, especially since we're not looking to run our offense through him.
His shot looks good too. It's not effed up he just needs experience imo. He also needs to gain control on his way to the basket. Too many wild takes.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I agree. I think he’ll probably be fine. But he’s got to get there. He’s not there yet.

- Carl Jung
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:57 am I agree. I think he’ll probably be fine. But he’s got to get there. He’s not there yet.
Finding his hot spots goes a long way and it's not like rooks can do that out of the gate with the new line. But just think where his overall % would be if he didn't get the rookie non call twice a game. Even once what's his % and scoring if he's making 2 FT's with one less miss instead of lying out of bounds with a miss.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:23 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:57 am I agree. I think he’ll probably be fine. But he’s got to get there. He’s not there yet.
Finding his hot spots goes a long way and it's not like rooks can do that out of the gate with the new line. But just think where his overall % would be if he didn't get the rookie non call twice a game. Even once what's his % and scoring if he's making 2 FT's with one less miss instead of lying out of bounds with a miss.
Where does he rank among rookies in shooting numbers? That should correct for any rookie non-calls that may or may not occur.

- Carl Jung
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Okogie at least has rotation on his shot, Wiggins tosses up a literal knuckleball.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:36 am Okogie at least has rotation on his shot, Wiggins tosses up a literal knuckleball.
I'd rather start Okogie than Wiggins. This ain't about him.

I can see what's happening. Okogie is the new golden child and if I dare critcize his sub-par shooting (even for a rookie), then I will "lose the right to root for him."

But be patient. Something will happen with Okogie in a year or two and the board will turn on him and he'll be regarded as trash and I'll be the homer that sticks up for him. It's the way of Wolves chat.

Fact is, Okogie is not starting quality right now and will not be until he improves his shooting. He's a fantastic energy guy with some definite defensive skills and commitment. We do need that. But his offense currently makes him a net negative on the floor and the numbers bear that out. Here they are in greater detail (remember he plays shooting guard).

FG: 38%
3PFG: 28%
A/TO ratio 1.25:1
PER: 9.8
eFG%: .440
TS%: .486
Ortg: 99
Drtg: 113
OWS: -0.3
DWS: 1.1
BPM: -2.2
VORP: -0.1

Those are really, really bad numbers and paint a picture of a guy not yet ready to help a team win. Again, I do agree that he can make that step. Everything will look better if he can shoot in the mid-30s from 3 next year. And I agree that he probably can. But some guys do make those leaps and some don't. We don't have to look too far into Wolves history to find guys that didn't. So I'm not ready to "crown his ass" about anything just yet. I hope he makes the jump and think he can. I'm a fan. But I'm pumping the brakes. He's got a lot of work to do. Cautious optimism.

- Carl Jung
T_J

Post by T_J »

Can we put Wiggins numbers up for comparison?

Okogie will never be asked to do anything that we've asked of Wiggins. He's like a Marcus Smart type role player. Anything above that would be just extra.
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:37 pm But be patient. Something will happen with Okogie in a year or two and the board will turn on him and he'll be regarded as trash and I'll be the homer that sticks up for him. It's the way of Wolves chat.
well god fucking bless you for that lol
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Lightning wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:06 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:37 pm But be patient. Something will happen with Okogie in a year or two and the board will turn on him and he'll be regarded as trash and I'll be the homer that sticks up for him. It's the way of Wolves chat.
well god fucking bless you for that lol
Everyone’s got a cross to bear!

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

T_J wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 pm Can we put Wiggins numbers up for comparison?

Okogie will never be asked to do anything that we've asked of Wiggins. He's like a Marcus Smart type role player. Anything above that would be just extra.
Offensively, Wiggins is slightly more efficient than Okogie. He’s an overall larger net negative because he operates at much higher volume than Josh. But minute for minute and shot for shot, Wiggins is slightly better than Okogie. For now.

But it’s not really about Okogie vs Wiggins. It’s about Okogie vs the nba. Right now, he’s losing the battle. Again, that’s okay because he’s a rookie. No sweat. But he’s got a leap to make before we can pencil him in as a starter and be satisfied. He’s currently not even an adequate reserve.

- Carl Jung
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:29 am
Where does he rank among rookies in shooting numbers? That should correct for any rookie non-calls that may or may not occur.
Name rooks get calls half way through the year. Okogie is just a scrapper who gets no respect. It will come when they start talking about how valuable he is
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:39 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:29 am
Name rooks get calls half way through the year. Okogie is just a scrapper who gets no respect. It will come when they start talking about how valuable he is
:lol:

Dude just isn’t an nba level shooter or scorer yet. That’s okay and it’s okay to admit it. There’s no conspiracy to keep him down.

- Carl Jung