Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Sound Off: If Chicago calls and you are Wolves GM

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
thinktank

Re: Sound Off: If Chicago calls and you are Wolves GM

Post by thinktank »

Nope.

Wiggins is on the DeRozan track.

I’m not sure what track LaVine is on.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:56 pm Nope.

Derozan still has limits than can be exploited. If Wigs only ends up exactly what Derozan is I would be slightly disappointed. Other than D on bigger guys Lavine really has no holes. Still think he has better upside. Wigs has higher floor if he learns to bring it every night. I do trust Lavine's killer instinct more. But time can make an asshole out of the most timid. Can't be a super star without being an asshole on the court.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Everybody has limits.

Wiggins will be a 6’8’’ better DeRozan.

Watch.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:59 pm Everybody has limits.

Watch.
Not saying he won't. As I said I expect him to be better. I just hope that better is you can't just take the drive away and watch him shoot sub 30% from 3. And this year's FT's better be an aberration. If it's not then you can take a huge chunk off his upside. How you go from 80 to 60 in one year has to be 100% mental.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

He’s a rhythm guy.

He’s like a horse.

He wants to run.

Wiggins is at .333 from deep.

Not great but I like what I’ve seen lately.

He had a bad game against Boston but since then everything he’s done has been pretty damn good.

I feel that we’re seeing him turn the corner.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Zach is good but he's limited because his defense is so horrible. When he's hot, his jumper is wet like rain. He's good, so is Dunn and Lauri but we needed Jimmy. With Kat, Wigs, and Zach this year. I don't think we make the playoffs. Kat and Wigs have all the talent in the world but Jimmy and the vets changed the culture here. Grown man no bs. These new young stars have been groomed since AAU days that they are basketball gods.

That grit, grind, and toughness can't be measured in numbers.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:02 pm
thinktank wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:56 pm Nope.

Derozan still has limits than can be exploited. If Wigs only ends up exactly what Derozan is I would be slightly disappointed. Other than D on bigger guys Lavine really has no holes. Still think he has better upside. Wigs has higher floor if he learns to bring it every night. I do trust Lavine's killer instinct more. But time can make an asshole out of the most timid. Can't be a super star without being an asshole on the court.
I would, 100%, take DeRozan's ceiling right now for Wiggins. This is a market that has a tough time keeping "star" players, or getting them here. DeRozan has continued to get better year after year.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Watch.
Why? What in your assessment has made you arrive at that conclusion?
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Watch.
Well, right now he's a slightly better version of Michael Beasley, so let's hope you're right.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

zeitgeist wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Watch.
Wiggins now, DeRozan in years three and four, and DeRozan now.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Dan33185 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Watch.
Well, right now he's a slightly better version of Michael Beasley, so let's hope you're right.
If Skittles was switched on, he'd be a star in this league.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

RealGM Chicago fans are going to riot if Lavine gets anywhere near a max contract if the last few pages of the "Zach Lavine Rookie extension" thread on realgm is any indication.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

twolves31 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 pm RealGM Chicago fans are going to riot if Lavine gets anywhere near a max contract if the last few pages of the "Zach Lavine Rookie extension" thread on realgm is any indication.
He is coming back from a Major injury. They need to give him some time and be patient.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

twolves31 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 pm RealGM Chicago fans are going to riot if Lavine gets anywhere near a max contract if the last few pages of the "Zach Lavine Rookie extension" thread on realgm is any indication.
What type of contract are they hoping he gets signed for?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:32 pm
$2 dollars!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:32 pm
$2 dollars!
BRING HIM HOME!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:35 pm

$2 dollars!
BRING HIM HOME!
Briefly scanning the thread. They're saying 15 million. I have not watched Zach but they are not happy with how he has performed.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:37 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:35 pm

$2 dollars!
BRING HIM HOME!
Briefly scanning the thread. They're saying 15 million. I have not watched Zach but they are not happy with how he has performed.
He was never going to perform at his best this season - post reco - $15mil is a bargain.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

5/75 is what they're hoping for.

They seem skittish about overspending and getting bit for it if Zach never pans out.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:41 pm 5/75 is what they're hoping for.

They seem skittish about overspending and getting bit for it if Zach never pans out.
So, you're saying, there's a chance we bring him home??
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Could Zach play PG on this team? With players like Butler commanding the ball, it could be possible, no? The make up has changed since Rubio left.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

thinktank wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Watch.
DeRozan is the exception not the rule. Could just as easily be a poor man's Rudy Gay, poor man's Corey Maggette or poor man's Jerry Stackhouse.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

zeitgeist wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:36 am

DeRozan is the exception not the rule. Could just as easily be a poor man's Rudy Gay, poor man's Corey Maggette or poor man's Jerry Stackhouse.
Man, you're throwing out names liek he's going to be a poor man's Jamal Mashburn.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

LordNu wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:51 pm Could Zach play PG on this team? With players like Butler commanding the ball, it could be possible, no? The make up has changed since Rubio left.
No.......
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

15 a year? :lol: Can you even do a five year deal that isn't for the max? I suppose Pek did it... off the rookie contract though?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:07 pm

15 a year? :lol: Can you even do a five year deal that isn't for the max? I suppose Pek did it... off the rookie contract though?
I think 20 is reasonable for Zach. Bulls FO is cheap as fuck and have been know to flub up a lot of shit like this, so you never know.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

zeitgeist wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:36 am

The thing with Andy is I think he’s smarter than most of those those guys. What I mean is...

Some people you can see they’re just not humble. Unreachable. Unteachable.

Andrew is not the highest BBIQ guy.

But Andy is humble. I think it’s plain to see that he has the potential to learn, and I think he is. He already has the physical tools.

Very DeRozan like.

Andy might even want to reach out to DeRozan if he already hasn’t. Toronto thing there too.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:06 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:51 pm Could Zach play PG on this team? With players like Butler commanding the ball, it could be possible, no? The make up has changed since Rubio left.
No.......
:(

Then he'd be an overpriced sixth man. sigh.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Wigs for me. He's just starting to find himself again with Butler out. Hope that sticks.

Also, Lavine playing PG some of his career and only averages 1 more dime than Wigs. I have to think passing is going to play a huge role on a winning team. Wigs even when not earning the assist has shown to pass well out of his slashes to the hole recently. Love that.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

minnemike wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:43 am Wigs for me. He's just starting to find himself again with Butler out. Hope that sticks.

Also, Lavine playing PG some of his career and only averages 1 more dime than Wigs. I have to think passing is going to play a huge role on a winning team. Wigs even when not earning the assist has shown to pass well out of his slashes to the hole recently. Love that.
You're not getting the whole picture there, Wiggins has had a significantly higher usage for most of his career and therefore more assist opportunities, he also spent half the year last year playing some of the point.

https://www.cleaningtheglass.com/stats/player/2099
AST% to Usage ratio

Career
LaVine: 49.25 percentile
Wiggins: 12.25 percentile

It's actually even more severe than that because Wiggins ast: usage percentile has remained mostly the same whereas LaVine had one year in the 28th percentile while every other year has been between 56-57 percentile. LaVine is without question a better ball handler and passer.