Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

The Last of Us Part II

Video game themed message board
Porridge

Re: The Last of Us Part II

Post by Porridge »

LordNu wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:34 pm
Porridge wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:46 pm
salamander wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:42 pm

I never understood why there were so many bottles and bricks until I played the hardest mode.
:shock:

Talk to me, goose. What am I missing here?

Do you toss the bottles/bricks at the enemy?

So far I've only used them to disable booby (extra Cobey) traps.
I think it's to create a distraction so you can run past them/alerts them to where you are if you stumble over them.

And to the comment above, that hotel basement.... Eugh.
I "experienced" the Pittsburgh hotel basement yesterday.

JFC!!! :lol:

After several unsuccessful attempts to take out the entire group, I decided to alter my strategy, put on my sneakers (extra Puma, RIP) and just RUN!

Gotdamn stalkers!
salamander

Post by salamander »

salamander wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:42 pm
Porridge wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:19 pm Captain's Log, day 9 of 7.

Seeing the number of empty bottles lying around everywhere, it's clear that pandemics lead to excessive consumption (extra teh tube).

Just upgraded the fire rate of my pistol using a pair of toe nail clippers.

Bye Tess. We'll always have Paris. Or Boston. Or wherever.

To be continued....
I never understood why there were so many bottles and bricks until I played the hardest mode.

You can smash them over the enemies head. Even ones like the clickers that kill you when they reach you. You never have much ammo in that mode so you run around finding bricks and smashing them over the enemies a lot.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Porridge wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am
LordNu wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:34 pm

I think it's to create a distraction so you can run past them/alerts them to where you are if you stumble over them.

And to the comment above, that hotel basement.... Eugh.
I "experienced" the Pittsburgh hotel basement yesterday.

JFC!!! :lol:

After several unsuccessful attempts to take out the entire group, I decided to alter my strategy, put on my sneakers (extra Puma, RIP) and just RUN!

Gotdamn stalkers!
Yup. I think everyone eventually decides that course of action. :lol:
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Porridge

Post by Porridge »

Folks - I just figured out 'the bashing someone's brains out' trick with a brick.

Mang, I feel like I want to start the game over. I've missed out on a lot of lost opportunities.

I suffocated a guy yesterday with a paper cup from starbucks. The stalkers in the sewers stood no chance.

Moar to come. Stay tuned.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Porridge wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:39 pm Folks - I just figured out 'the bashing someone's brains out' trick with a brick.

Mang, I feel like I want to start the game over. I've missed out on a lot of lost opportunities.

I suffocated a guy yesterday with a paper cup from starbucks. The stalkers in the sewers stood no chance.

I almost always start games over once I get a feel for them for reasons just like that.
Porridge

Post by Porridge »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:44 pm
Porridge wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:39 pm Folks - I just figured out 'the bashing someone's brains out' trick with a brick.

I almost always start games over once I get a feel for them for reasons just like that.

I suspect I’ll play this one over once I’m done.

I found a flamethrower, froobs.

Will be saving it for winter.

#NoMoarShoveling
salamander

Post by salamander »

:lol: Its totally a good time too.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Porridge wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:58 am
Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:44 pm

I suspect I’ll play this one over once I’m done.

I found a flamethrower, froobs.

Will be saving it for winter.

#NoMoarShoveling
I think you lose everything at winter dont you?
Porridge

Post by Porridge »

salamander wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:06 pm I think you lose everything at winter dont you?
Right. The entire winter segment kicked ass.

You play as Ellie, who kills people by throwing snowballs at their heads.

I like that she runs like Mandy.

(I've arrived at Utah now. Need a drink.)
salamander

Post by salamander »

Porridge wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:19 am
salamander wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:06 pm I think you lose everything at winter dont you?

Agreed. I hated winter the first time through but by thev4th or 5th time I beat that game it was my favorite area.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Porridge wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:19 am

I'm not sure I know how to take that...
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Porridge

Post by Porridge »

Game over, mang.

Game over.

:cry:

(I guess there's a side story next - Left Behind. Hopefully moar bricks around for mashing skulls :shrug: )
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Porridge wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:55 pm Game over, mang.

Game over.

(I guess there's a side story next - Left Behind. Hopefully moar bricks around for mashing skulls :shrug: )
Whaddya think of that Joel guy?
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

Game over.

So ending.....right or wrong? You gotta understand why it is what it is, but you can also see why it might be selfish.
Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Straight Edge Raven wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:56 am

Game over.

So ending.....right or wrong? You gotta understand why it is what it is, but you can also see why it might be selfish.
Oh it's totally selfish. Joel is a massive piece of shit and a damn monster. I mean you understand where he's coming from and feel for him. But man, how can you justify what he does there. But that what makes the ending of the first game good.

I got that immediately upon seeing it. It is kind of baffling and a little upsetting people walked away from that first game thinking Joel was 100% a hero and what he did was unquestionably right. Which is why Naughty Dog made a second game basically saying "No, Joel fucked up and here's why."
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Porridge

Post by Porridge »

YBBR wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:09 pm

Game over.

Whaddya think of that Joel guy?
Lot's of anger issues. Traces of narcissism with an accouterments of selfishness. Doesn't look at the big picture. Myopic.

Abandonment complex mixed in with issues of compensation (i.e. Ellie was his Sarah).
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:04 pm

Game over.

Oh it's totally selfish. Joel is a massive piece of shit and a damn monster. I mean you understand where he's coming from and feel for him. But man, how can you justify what he does there. But that what makes the ending of the first game good.

I got that immediately upon seeing it. It is kind of baffling and a little upsetting people walked away from that first game thinking Joel was 100% a hero and what he did was unquestionably right. Which is why Naughty Dog made a second game basically saying "No, Joel fucked up and here's why."
Err... :?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:44 pm

:beer:
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:46 pm

To be fair, I did not think he was 100% a hero, nor unquestionably right. But I can appreciate in such circumstances, under such stress, that this is how someone would act.

If he had been the one with Ellie's condition, he would undoubtedly have sacrificed himself. But would you really be able to sacrifice another?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:00 pm

To be fair, I did not think he was 100% a hero, nor unquestionably right. But I can appreciate in such circumstances, under such stress, that this is how someone would act.

If he had been the one with Ellie's condition, he would undoubtedly have sacrificed himself. But would you really be able to sacrifice another?
Oh, he sacrifices plenty of others. That's what was the most horrible part to me. Its two fold condeming the human race to their nightmarish and violent present and future, but also how many people there in that hospital does he brutally murder to save Ellie.

People are laid to waste and he doesn't give it a second thought. All of these other lives are cheap compared to Ellie's who he has replaced in his mind with his deceased daughter. Not even really Ellie herself, what she represents and that part of himself and his family that was lost.

He's a broken man that gets a little bit of happiness and hope back and that's how far he's willing to go to protect it. That one line he says to that woman he's delivering Ellie too outside the elevator when she's on the ground with a bullet wound begging for her life and Joel says "You'd only come after her." *click* So brutal. I also think it's totally reasonable. It's incredibly tragic.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:54 am
LordNu wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:00 pm

Oh, he sacrifices plenty of others. That's what was the most horrible part to me. Its two fold condeming the human race to their nightmarish and violent present and future, but also how many people there in that hospital does he brutally murder to save Ellie.

People are laid to waste and he doesn't give it a second thought. All of these other lives are cheap compared to Ellie's who he has replaced in his mind with his deceased daughter. Not even really Ellie herself, what she represents and that part of himself and his family that was lost.

He's a broken man that gets a little bit of happiness and hope back and that's how far he's willing to go to protect it. That one line he says to that woman he's delivering Ellie too outside the elevator when she's on the ground with a bullet wound begging for her life and Joel says "You'd only come after her." *click* So brutal. I also think it's totally reasonable. It's incredibly tragic.
Ohh you are totally right. I think though it highlighted he was incredibly unstable. Nobody probably looks at the mental ordeal these people are probably facing. The world became so fragmented after he and Ellie had gone through hell facing HUMANS. In his world, the humans and the infected were indistinguishable. You were either part of his "family", or you stood in is way.

I am starting to play Days Gone (Nioh first DLC boss is too freaking hard, I am giving up) actually a very decent game from the few hours I have played so far. Very Last fo Us in how the world feels.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I haven't read much of this thread since I'm going to eventually play it. (After an almost spoiler incident anyways)

My main worry about this game is that they completely change characters in the name of making a point everyone agrees with. You know, the kind thats stupid on its face almost to the point of breaking the 4th wall. And no that doesn't mean making Ellie gay. Literally every single person already knew that and nobody that had an issue with the game didn't like it because of that.

From what I gather from the almost spoiler he sheds Ellie somehow to save himself. That in my opinion goes completely against the character in every way and nobody would do that given the first game. He figuratively fights death himself to save someone against all odds instead of just walking away (1st game) and then just drops them like a ball of wax? Nope piss poor writing.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

salamander wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:44 pm I haven't read much of this thread since I'm going to eventually play it. (After an almost spoiler incident anyways)

My main worry about this game is that they completely change characters in the name of making a point everyone agrees with. You know, the kind thats stupid on its face almost to the point of breaking the 4th wall. And no that doesn't mean making Ellie gay. Literally every single person already knew that and nobody that had an issue with the game didn't like it because of that.

From what I gather from the almost spoiler he sheds Ellie somehow to save himself. That in my opinion goes completely against the character in every way and nobody would do that given the first game. He figuratively fights death himself to save someone against all odds instead of just walking away (1st game) and then just drops them like a ball of wax? Nope piss poor writing.
I think they just shed some light on the characters in a different way than some of the audience wanted and that was a huge blow to the fan base initially. Although the criticisms in some aspects don't seem unwarranted.

That's not what Joel does BTW.
salamander

Post by salamander »

YBBR wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:51 pm
salamander wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:44 pm I haven't read much of this thread since I'm going to eventually play it. (After an almost spoiler incident anyways)

I think they just shed some light on the characters in a different way than some of the audience wanted and that was a huge blow to the fan base initially. Although the criticisms in some aspects don't seem unwarranted.

That's not what Joel does BTW.
ok. Thank God.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Just bought it today and got to the movie theater. $30 on PSN for black friday.

Pretty great so far. I can see why so many people were pissed. Thats a helluva start to the game.

The mechanics seem worse than part 1 though. Also, level design was far superior in part 1. I really like how you kind of see Joel's influence on Ellie's personality. Almost a like father like daughter kind of thing. Its pretty cool. Ellie and Abby are a cool pair, not as fun or whimsical as Joel and Ellie were but great non the less.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I don't understand why people are pissed, this was obviously what was going to be the case. And the other thing was in the DLC. I wasn't razzed at all.

BTW, I am playing it atm.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:24 pm
salamander wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:38 pm Just bought it today and got to the movie theater. $30 on PSN for black friday.

Pretty great so far. I can see why so many people were pissed. Thats a helluva start to the game.

The mechanics seem worse than part 1 though. Also, level design was far superior in part 1. I really like how you kind of see Joel's influence on Ellie's personality. Almost a like father like daughter kind of thing. Its pretty cool. Ellie and Abby are a cool pair, not as fun or whimsical as Joel and Ellie were but great non the less.
Don't get too attached to joel.
Billy?

IAlTO
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:24 pm
salamander wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:38 pm Just bought it today and got to the movie theater. $30 on PSN for black friday.

Don't get too attached to joel.
Yeah, that was brutal.
salamander

Post by salamander »

LordNu wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:19 pm I don't understand why people are pissed, this was obviously what was going to be the case. And the other thing was in the DLC. I wasn't razzed at all.

Some people just hate when something like that happens to their favorite characters. Like HATE it.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

salamander wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:59 pm
LordNu wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:19 pm I don't understand why people are pissed, this was obviously what was going to be the case. And the other thing was in the DLC. I wasn't razzed at all.

Some people just hate when something like that happens to their favorite characters. Like HATE it.
I guess, I was just totally expecting it unfortunately.