Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

The Last of Us Part II

Video game themed message board
salamander

Re: The Last of Us Part II

Post by salamander »

LordNu wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:58 pm
salamander wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:59 pm
LordNu wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:19 pm I don't understand why people are pissed, this was obviously what was going to be the case. And the other thing was in the DLC. I wasn't razzed at all.

BTW, I am playing it atm.
Some people just hate when something like that happens to their favorite characters. Like HATE it.
I guess, I was just totally expecting it unfortunately.
Yeah, I was too. Maybe not that exactly but something like it.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

salamander wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:58 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:24 pm
salamander wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:38 pm Just bought it today and got to the movie theater. $30 on PSN for black friday.

Pretty great so far. I can see why so many people were pissed. Thats a helluva start to the game.

The mechanics seem worse than part 1 though. Also, level design was far superior in part 1. I really like how you kind of see Joel's influence on Ellie's personality. Almost a like father like daughter kind of thing. Its pretty cool. Ellie and Abby are a cool pair, not as fun or whimsical as Joel and Ellie were but great non the less.
Don't get too attached to joel.
Yeah, that was brutal.
Yeah, that was some raw shit. Makes sense. Actions have consequences.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
salamander

Post by salamander »

Pretty good game so far. I wouldn't say great. I'm a little disappointed in the level design.
Story has been pretty good but after playing as Abby for about 4 or 5 hours now I haven't gone back to the game in a couple days.

What a boring character. Most of the new character additions are pretty boring.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Alright, just finished it. Didn't HATE the ending like a lot of people seemed to.

It was a good game. I coulda done without all the walking simulation that plagued this game. That shit was boring as hell. As was Abby's entire arc. Coulda done without it entirely.

7/10
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:57 pm
salamander wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:12 pm Alright, just finished it. Didn't HATE the ending like a lot of people seemed to.

It was a good game. I coulda done without all the walking simulation that plagued this game. That shit was boring as hell. As was Abby's entire arc. Coulda done without it entirely.

7/10
If you just love walking sims, pick yourself up Death Stranding. You never knew how badly you wanted to learn what it's like to be a dystopian mailman until you've played death stranding... Weirdly, I didnt hate the game, but I really can't explain why I didn't hate it.

Kojima's magic touch.
Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

salamander wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:12 pm Alright, just finished it. Didn't HATE the ending like a lot of people seemed to.

7/10
If you just love walking sims, pick yourself up Death Stranding. You never knew how badly you wanted to learn what it's like to be a dystopian mailman until you've played death stranding... Weirdly, I didnt hate the game, but I really can't explain why I didn't hate it.
Playing it through a heavy covid lockdown in Melbourne was intriguing. The world began to make sense in a perverted way.
salamander

Post by salamander »

7/10
:lol: I've heard this a few times actually.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:18 am
salamander wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:34 am

:lol: I've heard this a few times actually.
If you find the game for $20 or less, get it. But be prepared to question just what the fuck you are doing for the first 10+ hours.... And now I'm sorta pissed...
:lol: If it was anybody other than the genius Hideo Kojima this would totally turn me off but since its Kojima it kind of turns me on. (Not sexually)
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Finished it. I guess this was the only possible ending, which really completes the whole saga.

I realLy couldn’t give a shit about the Abby character or story. When you fight as her against Ellie, I was happy to see her get beaten. They missed the mark on the new characters completely, and since its story driven, it hurt the story immensely.

I actually prefer Days Gone a lot more, now that I can compare them.

Anyway, now I can focus solely on Breath of the Wild.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Playing this. Still fairly early. I feel like the game play is a major step up compared to the first game. Just feels like a more functional and fun stealth/action game. I feel like I do a couple stealthy things and then I just get compelled to fuck shit up.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:39 pm Playing this. Still fairly early. I feel like the game play is a major step up compared to the first game. Just feels like a more functional and fun stealth/action game. I feel like I do a couple stealthy things and then I just get compelled to fuck shit up.
After playing this and Days Gone last year, it's Days Gone that was much more memorable for me.

I'll gladly forget Last of Us Part II.

BTW anyone hear how Sony apparently simply wants to make remakes of Last of Us and new Uncharted's rather than throw the dice on new games.
salamander

Post by salamander »

LordNu wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:34 pm BTW anyone hear how Sony apparently simply wants to make remakes of Last of Us and new Uncharted's rather than throw the dice on new games.
Well that irritates the hell outa me. If there's a company I'd trust to make a new IP it's ND.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Everything about the gameplay and what you are doing is a significant step up from the first game. When you are Abby and climbing down from the adjacent high rise to get to the hospital. Great use of verticality in a design space.

I liked how in the end they recontextualize Ellie's actions with her conversation with Joel the night before the game starts. It didn't have this hard hitting punch like I think they intended but it was a nice wrinkle that makes you go, okay. I see why. I can understand better why she went so hard to pursue Abby.

8/10 Gameplay was much better, more snappy and fun. Story was objectively worse and not as interesting as the previous game. The game is too long. It can drag a bit not because I wasn't interested but just so much of doing similar stuff for a long chunk of that game.

Worth my 30 bucks and I enjoyed it overall.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:34 pm
YBBR wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:39 pm Playing this. Still fairly early. I feel like the game play is a major step up compared to the first game. Just feels like a more functional and fun stealth/action game. I feel like I do a couple stealthy things and then I just get compelled to fuck shit up.
After playing this and Days Gone last year, it's Days Gone that was much more memorable for me.

BTW anyone hear how Sony apparently simply wants to make remakes of Last of Us and new Uncharted's rather than throw the dice on new games.
Ps Plus gave away Days Gone so I might start that up.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:09 pm
LordNu wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:34 pm

Ps Plus gave away Days Gone so I might start that up.
You're in for a treat with Mr Grumbly Man!
salamander

Post by salamander »

YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:06 pm Everything about the gameplay and what you are doing is a significant step up from the first game. When you are Abby and climbing down from the adjacent high rise to get to the hospital. Great use of verticality in a design space.
I have a fear of heights and that spot legitimately terrified me. So intense! I hated it in a good way.
YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:06 pm I liked how in the end they recontextualize Ellie's actions with her conversation with Joel the night before the game starts. It didn't have this hard hitting punch like I think they intended but it was a nice wrinkle that makes you go, okay. I see why. I can understand better why she went so hard to pursue Abby.

8/10 Gameplay was much better, more snappy and fun. Story was objectively worse and not as interesting as the previous game. The game is too long. It can drag a bit not because I wasn't interested but just so much of doing similar stuff for a long chunk of that game.

Worth my 30 bucks and I enjoyed it overall.
I honestly thought gameplay was a step back. Still very good just enjoyed the first games gameplay way more. That was a masterpiece. Still a very good game.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Just started this game.

On Seattle day 2 with Ellie.

Miss Joel, he made the first one.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
shatminster fuller

Post by shatminster fuller »

Finally finished this. Good, but tooooooo long. Some of those sequences kicked my ass too. That Rat King thing must have killed me 80 times before I managed to get him. I didn't have the appropriate weapons when I got there though, so I was kind of naked.
Salut les Terriens!
La culture domine tout, elle est la condition sine qua non de notre civilisation…
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

shatminster fuller wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:20 pm Finally finished this. Good, but tooooooo long. Some of those sequences kicked my ass too. That Rat King thing must have killed me 80 times before I managed to get him. I didn't have the appropriate weapons when I got there though, so I was kind of naked.
Yep. It was too long. They shave this game in half and make it 15 punchy hours instead of 30 and it's probably a good bit better. Still had fun with it and enjoyed the time I spent. I think playing as the "antagonist" is a bold choice and I kinda liked playing as Abby more as far as playstyle.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

There is a Last of Us show coming out. I believe Joel is played by The Mandalorian.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I really enjoyed this show and just recently re-watched. I played the first game but only remember the "broad strokes" of the story.

I want to buy both the remastered versions but the one thing I remember about the game was it being genuinely stressful/scary to play.

#BaltimoreStrong
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:39 pm I really enjoyed this show and just recently re-watched. I played the first game but only remember the "broad strokes" of the story.

I want to buy both the remastered versions but the one thing I remember about the game was it being genuinely stressful/scary to play.
I went back and played it and couldn't get past the first bloater.
Let's get Tropical
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:47 pm
Mandatory wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:39 pm I really enjoyed this show and just recently re-watched. I played the first game but only remember the "broad strokes" of the story.

I'm not buying the remasters right now because I bet anything there are reremasters in a box set coming once the 3rd game is released. By then I will probably have forgotten a lot of the story.
I made this!
salamander

Post by salamander »

In the first game when you fall down the elevator shaft into the boiler room.... Jesus Christ Almighty.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:25 pm

I'm not buying the remasters right now because I bet anything there are reremasters in a box set coming once the 3rd game is released. By then I will probably have forgotten a lot of the story.
There's a 3rd one coming? Sigh.... I wish this would've just been a stand alone single title.

Want a new IP from these guys and I hope they don't drive this IP into dust like they did with Uncharted.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

salamander wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:45 am

There's a 3rd one coming? Sigh.... I wish this would've just been a stand alone single title.

Want a new IP from these guys and I hope they don't drive this IP into dust like they did with Uncharted.
I just hope they get back to some of the magic that made the first one so good. I didn't mind the second one, but the turbo powered lesbian chick combined with the overly done inclusionism just honestly made the plot start to feel unbelievable to me.
I made this!
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:49 am
salamander wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:45 am

I just hope they get back to some of the magic that made the first one so good. I didn't mind the second one, but the turbo powered lesbian chick combined with the overly done inclusionism just honestly made the plot start to feel unbelievable to me.
I didn't hate the 2nd one at all but it was not even close to as good as the first one.

They had so many forced walking situations and got really into story telling while not letting the player do anything. I also did not think the areas you did play were in any way even as close to memorable as the first game (other than the final part of the game). Everything was just a little bit worse than the first game.

But no. I didn't hate it. I just had such a high standard in mind because I really like Naughtey Dog.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Pretty sure I mentioned I'd never played the 2nd game so I've been reading about it.. and to my surprise it apparently is pretty hated by the fan base.. and reading through the plot and about the characters.. I feel like I hate it and haven't even played it. What were they thinking... just everything about it sounds awful.

#BaltimoreStrong
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:33 am Pretty sure I mentioned I'd never played the 2nd game so I've been reading about it.. and to my surprise it apparently is pretty hated by the fan base.. and reading through the plot and about the characters.. I feel like I hate it and haven't even played it. What were they thinking... just everything about it sounds awful.
The gameplay and visuals of the game are alright. The voice acting and shit are fairly good as well. It just felt like a statement piece on inclusionism and sexuality. I'm fine with people speaking out about their beliefs and my criticism has nothing to do with what they were speaking about in particular. I just wish the game was about the game, and not about someone's real life agenda. It's definitely worth a play through. It's still good. Just feels like if they had stuck with their original formula it could have been so much better.

Also... Those fuckers killed Joel. Fuck them.
I made this!