Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

10 best games you've ever played

Video game themed message board
salamander

Re: 10 best games you've ever played

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:27 pm
salamander wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:45 pm 1. Bloodborne (PS4):
I had recently, just discovered H.P. Lovecraft and was gobbling up (reading) anything I could find that he wrote. I also happen to be a massive fan of the gothic style. This game teased the gothic horror genre and what we got was a masterful take on H.P. Lovecraft's gothic/cosmic horror. The game play is pure excellence and the level designs by Hidetaka Miyazaki are perfection in any sense of the word. They should use this game to teach level design. I can't think of any game I've ever played that has ever had a better level layout than Central Yharnam.

Dark Souls 1.

He hand drew the whole game from my understanding. It's level on top of level, you wrap around a long level and then open a door and you're like, "Holy crap, I'm back here?!?!?!"

DS1, BB and DS3 are must plays. I love DS3 just because of the vast amount of weapons and builds you can play around with plus the weapon arts. Not nearly as moody as BB but a great combo/balance of DS1 and BB.
Nice! I've actually got DS3 on my shelf right now and plan on getting to it right after NieR: Automata. Now I'm very excited to play this.
BB was my first dive into these games so I never played DS1. Do you think it would still hold up?

(Dam, it took me like a year to respond to you. Sorry mate.)
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

YBBR wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:42 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:42 pm It would be interesting to see what the all-time top 10 of all the Froobs combined is. We do have a number that overlap (Chrono Trigger, TES games, mario games, FF games)
I have FF Tactics on my list for most fun, but it's not even my favorite Final Fantasy. It's kind of a weird offshoot that I thought was super cool at the time. Although most people have a different favorite one of those, if you were into those games.
Shit, I forgot about that one. It's actually my favorite FF game. It's also the game I've probably beaten more than any other game ever.
YBBR wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:30 pm I have not touched one since X. I think they made like 2 sequels to XIII or something? I'm sure those games are fine, but the lost some of their magic over time.

Final Fantasy VIi is very, very, good for the record.
Nope, they're not fine. I beat 13, got half way through 13-2 and quit, then did the same for 13-3.
All 3 FF13's suck balls.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I'll add God of War and Dead Cells from last year onto my list. Both of those games would crack my top 10 all-time.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

What prompted me to bring this up was people trying to come up with their top ten in 30 seconds. It'd piss me off if I tried, as I would miss off some of my faves and kick myself for not remembering.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:57 pm I'll add God of War and Dead Cells from last year onto my list. Both of those games would crack my top 10 all-time.
Going to have to start GoW now, finished Assassin's Creed Origins and all the DLC, I feel sort of let down as there was no big finale.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

In no particular order:

Outrun
Guitar Hero
Super Mario Bros.
Clash of Clans
Ms. Pac-Man
LEGO Harry Potter
NBA Jam
Trials HD
Rock Band
Mega Man
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Herky

Post by Herky »

This is really hard but here are mine in no order.

Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Madden 2005
NCAA 2004
Fallout 3
Dragon Age Origins
Witcher 3
Red Dead 2
Skyrim
Herky

Post by Herky »

Fallout 4 just missed this list. I still love the game and the settlement crafting. Mods make it even better. I still play this.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:54 pm
YBBR wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:57 pm I'll add God of War and Dead Cells from last year onto my list. Both of those games would crack my top 10 all-time.
Going to have to start GoW now, finished Assassin's Creed Origins and all the DLC, I feel sort of let down as there was no big finale.
I think you'll enjoy it!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

salamander wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:41 pm
YBBR wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:42 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:42 pm It would be interesting to see what the all-time top 10 of all the Froobs combined is. We do have a number that overlap (Chrono Trigger, TES games, mario games, FF games)
I have FF Tactics on my list for most fun, but it's not even my favorite Final Fantasy. It's kind of a weird offshoot that I thought was super cool at the time. Although most people have a different favorite one of those, if you were into those games.
Shit, I forgot about that one. It's actually my favorite FF game. It's also the game I've probably beaten more than any other game ever.
YBBR wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:30 pm I have not touched one since X. I think they made like 2 sequels to XIII or something? I'm sure those games are fine, but the lost some of their magic over time.

Final Fantasy VIi is very, very, good for the record.
Nope, they're not fine. I beat 13, got half way through 13-2 and quit, then did the same for 13-3.
All 3 FF13's suck balls.
Tactics rules. I thought it was extremely overlooked even when it was first released.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:45 am
I think you'll enjoy it!
Played like and hour or two, already I am more emotionally involved than in Assassin's Creed Origins, which I played for like 80+ hours.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:48 am

I think you'll enjoy it!
Played like and hour or two, already I am more emotionally involved than in Assassin's Creed Origins, which I played for like 80+ hours.
They did a really great job with the characters in that game. That intro to that game is so ominous. Boy.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:15 am
LordNu wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:48 am
I think you'll enjoy it!
They did a really great job with the characters in that game. That intro to that game is so ominous. Boy.
Lol, Kratos has always been a one-dimensional character, and they really haven't changed much about him other than providing him with an opportunity to evolve his personality.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

In no order:

1. Goldeneye 007
2. WWF No Mercy
3. NFL 2k5
4. Battlefield 4
5. NHL 95
6. CoD: Modern Warfare
7. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
8. The Sims 3
9. Out of the Park Baseball (series)
10. Mario Kart 64
Herky

Post by Herky »

DC4MVP wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:57 am In no order:

1. Goldeneye 007
2. WWF No Mercy
3. NFL 2k5
4. Battlefield 4
5. NHL 95
6. CoD: Modern Warfare
7. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
8. The Sims 3
9. Out of the Park Baseball (series)
10. Mario Kart 64
That's a damn fun series and very realistic from a baseball management standpoint.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Red Dead Redemption 2
The Witcher 3
Fallout New Vegas
GTA San Andreas
Total War Rome
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Oregon Trail
PS2 Madden and NCAA games
WCW vs NWO N64
Pokemon Blue

List based on nostalgia and what I had the most fun playing.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Herky

Post by Herky »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:59 am Red Dead Redemption 2
The Witcher 3
Fallout New Vegas
GTA San Andreas
Total War Rome
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Oregon Trail
WCW vs NWO N64
Pokemon Blue

That game was fantastic.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Herky wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:28 am
The Witcher 3
Fallout New Vegas
GTA San Andreas
Total War Rome
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Oregon Trail
WCW vs NWO N64
Pokemon Blue

That game was fantastic.
I still have it. Only problem is I lost my save cartridge (remember that cartridge that you had to use instead of a rumble pak?)
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

LordNu wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:05 pm
The Witcher 3
Fallout New Vegas
GTA San Andreas
Total War Rome
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Oregon Trail
WCW vs NWO N64
Pokemon Blue

That game was fantastic.
I still have it. Only problem is I lost my save cartridge (remember that cartridge that you had to use instead of a rumble pak?)
I remember that! And GameShark. And buying video game magazines to get the cheats for new games!

How about this?

I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:25 pm

That game was fantastic.
I remember that! And GameShark. And buying video game magazines to get the cheats for new games!

How about this?

LOL! I would guess it wasn't the cartridge, some other technical glitch in that instance?
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

The Witcher 3
Fallout New Vegas
GTA San Andreas
Total War Rome
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Oregon Trail
WCW vs NWO N64
Pokemon Blue

That game was fantastic.
Yesss! That game kicked ass.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

Legend of Zelda
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Mario Kart 64
Goldeneye
NHLPA 93
Super Mario 64
Guitar Hero 2
Skyrim
COD WW2
Marvel's Spider-Man
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

The Witcher 3
Fallout New Vegas
GTA San Andreas
Total War Rome
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
Oregon Trail
WCW vs NWO N64
Pokemon Blue

I'd have Witcher 3, Fallout New Vegas, San Andreas and Total War Rome all high on my list as well, not sure they'd all make my top 10 but I love those games.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

MB3
Rampage
Paper Boy
Halo CE
Halo 3
Legends of Lagaia
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Ninja Gaidan
Bros Before Shiancoes

Post by Bros Before Shiancoes »

Coach K College Basketball
Bill and Ted’s Excellent Video Game
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
Tron Deadly Discs
Pro Wrestling
Cyberia
Diddy Kong Racing
Blades of Steel
Manhunt
Excitebike
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Everquest - the only MMORPG (and first) that I ever played that would keep 40-80 players up for 14 hour straight to complete raids. You had to coordinate healers, mezzers, tanks, damage without anything to communicate with but typed text. It was the first immersive MMO, and the first MMO that had 3D. I had a maxed wizard in one of the few PvP servers, where they could loot your gear if they killed you. Some of the rare mobs you needed to kill to acquire rare gear were perma camped, and you’d have to pvp to claim the spawn site. Was a great game in 1999 or so. It kept track of your playtime..I was well over 1 year worth of time in a 5 year period :shock:

Daggerfall - the first 3D D&D type simulator I had ever played. I want to say it was 1996 or so.

Darkfall - a MMORPG that was a first shooter pvp sandbox game - played with my brother who lived in another state - it was fullloot, so the battles were to the death, and you could potentially loose dozens of hours in gear building in a flash - had to be on your toes and the physics of the game were incredibly immersive- massive sea battles too.

Skyrim and Skyrim PSVR were amazing - Red Dead Redemption II, GTA V, Fortnight, ArcheAge, WOW, Witcher III are other games I spent a lot of time playing. Really enjoyed the NFL2K series and Roadrash on the Dreamcast back in the day.