Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Far Cry 5

Video game themed message board
B-Town

Re: Far Cry 5

Post by B-Town »

Thanks. Not a big fan of FPS games with Bioshock being the exception. Maybe I'll look this one up. I still have to get through the newest Tomb Raider.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:37 pm
Obi-Wan wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:36 pm I have only played 3 and 4. The one thing I hate is the trippy dream sequences that are one of the hardest things to do in the games. Did they get rid of those?
There is one character in this game that induces "trippy dream sequences" but they are short. Do not skip this game based on that alone.
Tower climbing? That annoyed me as well. However, It is one of my favorite games. I usually tried to take outpost in stealth. It is fun to snipe guys and shoot animal cages and watch animals do your work from afar.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Obi-Wan wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:13 pm
Mandatory wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:37 pm
Obi-Wan wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:36 pm I have only played 3 and 4. The one thing I hate is the trippy dream sequences that are one of the hardest things to do in the games. Did they get rid of those?
There is one character in this game that induces "trippy dream sequences" but they are short. Do not skip this game based on that alone.
Tower climbing? That annoyed me as well. However, It is one of my favorite games. I usually tried to take outpost in stealth. It is fun to snipe guys and shoot animal cages and watch animals do your work from afar.
They did away with tower climbing... although they make a pretty good self deprecating joke about it early on. Story progression is much more free flowing and you can go where you want from the beginning. Map is revealed just by exploring. All the good outpost hijinks are there. And they added even more. It's really the best game in the series IMO.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

I got this game last week and I'm dying so much. I'm not used to FPS games like this after playing MGSV and Tomb Raider so much. But, I'm plugging along. I have Boomer, but he doesn't point out the enemies as good as D-Dog does in MGSV. I also have a hard time with the weapon wheel.

I guess over a little more time I'll get used to all that... then I'll need to learn to fly a plane and chopper and a whole bunch of other shit.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Night Train wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:06 am I got this game last week and I'm dying so much. I'm not used to FPS games like this after playing MGSV and Tomb Raider so much. But, I'm plugging along. I have Boomer, but he doesn't point out the enemies as good as D-Dog does in MGSV. I also have a hard time with the weapon wheel.

I guess over a little more time I'll get used to all that... then I'll need to learn to fly a plane and chopper and a whole bunch of other shit.
Couple quick things.. you die a lot in this game but you'll die less in each territory as you take outposts and the amount of enemy patrols dwindle. Boomer while cute is probably the worst companion other than helicopter gal. Get sniper gal as soon as possible early on. Game is fun and gets easier, you'll get more used to it. With the weapon wheel, I usually select primary weapon then use wheel to select my second favorite. You can then use triangle or Y to switch between those two quickly. Use dynamite as well, best explosive IMO.

#BaltimoreStrong
dapperathy

Post by dapperathy »

All a man needs in FC5 is a backpack full of shovels.
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

Spent a good part of the weekend playing this and I'm getting used to it, so that's nice. Got to fly the plane yesterday, been boating and fishing, been shooting deer and bear, liberating outposts, finding stashes and generally running around not knowing where to go next, but something always pops up that keeps me playing. I'm glad I stuck with it.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

dapperathy

Post by dapperathy »

Night Train wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:05 am Spent a good part of the weekend playing this and I'm getting used to it, so that's nice. Got to fly the plane yesterday, been boating and fishing, been shooting deer and bear, liberating outposts, finding stashes and generally running around not knowing where to go next, but something always pops up that keeps me playing. I'm glad I stuck with it.
Running around aimlessly is a good way to play. My last dozen or so hours have been climbing around the mountains looking for fishing holes, which has been a nice change of pace from constantly being drugged and abducted.

Also, I highly recommend driving around with Hurk and Sharky as your squadmates. Top quality banter between those two goons.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Installed this on my PS4 last night. Played for 2 hours or so. It's awesome. A perfect change of pace from Kingdom Come.
Lampin'
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

So I started the weekend trying to get into John Seed's bunker (no homo)... and ended the weekend finally getting past the first checkpoint. Jesus!

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Night Train wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:25 am So I started the weekend trying to get into John Seed's bunker (no homo)... and ended the weekend finally getting past the first checkpoint. Jesus!
Yeah, that bunker sucked. I just spammed dynamite on the heavy machine gun doods.

#BaltimoreStrong
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

The Faith Seed region is giving me acid flashbacks.

Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Great game!!! Love the far Cry franchise and this hasn't let me down. I just unlocked the main boss battle, but Im kind of a completionist and want to finish all the missions before finishing the main story line. Story line isn't the greatest for the series, but the game play is tried and true.
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
MossyPeppers84

Post by MossyPeppers84 »

What do you guys think is the easiest Boss Battle between the seed Family? I have eliminated John and Jacob so far with Faith and The Father to go... late to the show but the game itself.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

MossyPeppers84 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:41 pm What do you guys think is the easiest Boss Battle between the seed Family? I have eliminated John and Jacob so far with Faith and The Father to go... late to the show but the game itself.
I thought Faith was easy. Haven't faced Jacob or The Father.

#BaltimoreStrong
MossyPeppers84

Post by MossyPeppers84 »

Mandatory wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:42 am
MossyPeppers84 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:41 pm What do you guys think is the easiest Boss Battle between the seed Family? I have eliminated John and Jacob so far with Faith and The Father to go... late to the show but the game itself.
I thought Faith was easy. Haven't faced Jacob or The Father.
Just finished the game last night.... kind of surprising finish I guess you could say. I choose to fight -- not really a spoiler alert but kind of?

what else did everyone go with
Night Train

Post by Night Train »

I finished John's and Faith's regions, but have a few unfinished missions there. Now I just escaped Joseph's first checkpoint after they kidnapped me, so now I'm just roaming around there and seeing what I stumble upon.

One thing that bugs me about this game is the fine line between looting and switching weapons, especially when it happens during a melee. "No, I don't want to swap my machine gun for a pea shooter, I'm trying to loot this guy! Dammit!" And I don't like that we can't switch out more weapons without having to hit a shop. We get multiple choices with throwing weapons per slot, but not the firearms?

What are some of your fave weapons? I do like the bow and sniper rifle, and have the whitetail machine gun for gunfights. Some of the weapons suck though, like the AK-47.

But I'm still having fun with the game, that's all that matters.

dapperathy

Post by dapperathy »

Night Train wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:23 am What are some of your fave weapons? I do like the bow and sniper rifle, and have the whitetail machine gun for gunfights. Some of the weapons suck though, like the AK-47.
Had the most fun using the shovel. Ran with bow/sniper for most of the game, but when shit got crazy it was time to start chuckin' shovels. Usually had a rocket launcher buddy along to take care of pesky choppers.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I never used the ak until late game. I love it now, the newer model. Then I've got the 50 cal sniper, a bow which I never use and grenade launcher in side arm spot. I spam dynamite. Also use Grace and Jess most as guns for hire.

#BaltimoreStrong
MossyPeppers84

Post by MossyPeppers84 »

Night Train wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:23 am I finished John's and Faith's regions, but have a few unfinished missions there. Now I just escaped Joseph's first checkpoint after they kidnapped me, so now I'm just roaming around there and seeing what I stumble upon.

One thing that bugs me about this game is the fine line between looting and switching weapons, especially when it happens during a melee. "No, I don't want to swap my machine gun for a pea shooter, I'm trying to loot this guy! Dammit!" And I don't like that we can't switch out more weapons without having to hit a shop. We get multiple choices with throwing weapons per slot, but not the firearms?

What are some of your fave weapons? I do like the bow and sniper rifle, and have the whitetail machine gun for gunfights. Some of the weapons suck though, like the AK-47.

But I'm still having fun with the game, that's all that matters.
The bow is pretty tactical if you are trying to loot and takeover OutPosts. Otherwise I had great success with the WhiteTailer -- which is basically just an AK47- on steroids. My favorite weapon had to the Sawed off Shotgun. If you had the perks for rifles and shotguns this was really fun. Late in the game I decided to get the MS249 AKA MILITA and you can mow over some cuckoos with that thing.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Just started playing this the other day. Took a little bit to get used to the FPS after spending all winter playing Rdr2.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Does anyone have any advice on leveling up and how to best spend my money and skill points?
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:54 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:11 pm Just started playing this the other day. Took a little bit to get used to the FPS after spending all winter playing Rdr2.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Does anyone have any advice on leveling up and how to best spend my money and skill points?
Yes. The fastest way to level up is to charge into every battle guns blazing firing at everything that moves until you hear click click click.
You're lucky I don't know where you live. I'd sneak up on you and throw a shovel at you for giving me such shit advise.
salamander

Post by salamander »

YBBR wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:01 pm 6.5 on Polygon, but they knocked it a lot for its story. When has Far Cry actually had a good story though? They said gameplay, mechanics and world are all great though.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/26/17164 ... c-xbox-one
I hate polygon and seem to disagree with them often. When they go low, I tend to like a game so it looks like I'll be getting this one.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

salamander wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:25 pm
YBBR wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:01 pm 6.5 on Polygon, but they knocked it a lot for its story. When has Far Cry actually had a good story though? They said gameplay, mechanics and world are all great though.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/26/17164 ... c-xbox-one
I hate polygon and seem to disagree with them often. When they go low, I tend to like a game so it looks like I'll be getting this one.
There was a lot of weird political bull surrounding the story of the game. Something about glorifying "MAGA" culture. I never took it like that, more of a satire of American culture in the vain of GTA.

#BaltimoreStrong
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

I just defeated Faith and the guy that was on top of the mountain. I can't remember which one. Really annoyed by those dream sequences where I have to kill people to get past it.

I use bow and arrow, free state sniper rifle, M60, and grenade launching pistol. I prefer to sneak around but use M60 or grenade launcher when Ive been detected or need to take down a vehicle. The bow and arrow I use for closeup stealth and taking out animals.