Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Far Cry 5

Video game themed message board
YBBR

Far Cry 5

Post by YBBR »

Okay, I saw some content on this and I'm interested. The game looks beautiful and it's a ton more Far Cry madness. The features that looks like they're adding with Map editor and all the crazy DLC planned. Plus with how well Ubisoft has supported and improved their games recently has me waiting on reviews to maybe pounce on this one.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Re: Far Cry 5

Post by YBBR »

I'm a sucker for open world madness.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
dapperathy

Post by dapperathy »

Preordered yesterday after watching some of the early twitch streams. Looks phenomenal.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

For me personally, it's how well Ubisoft has handled all their post release content and constant updating and fixing of games people were having criticisms with or just didn't feel aspects of it were fun that has me interested in this game the most.

I haven't played a Far Cry game since 3 and I was not really anticipating this game, but it looks really good, and I approve of what this publisher has been doing for their games, so hey, throw em some bones.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

I've been following this for a while and am pretty excited to pick it up tomorrrow. I've been a huge fan of most of the Far Cry games although 4 was a huge let down for me, I traded it in after about a week. This one looks great and super polished. While Primal was a lot of fun I'm looking forward to getting back to some gun play.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Going to get this game on PC once it releases.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Herky

Post by Herky »

I'm still playing Primal but will get this when I finish it.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

6.5 on Polygon, but they knocked it a lot for its story. When has Far Cry actually had a good story though? They said gameplay, mechanics and world are all great though.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/26/17164 ... c-xbox-one
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I'm soo freaking pumped.. stupidly, I think I'm going to go pick it up at Gamestop at 9pm.

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:06 pm I'm soo freaking pumped.. stupidly, I think I'm going to go pick it up at Gamestop at 9pm.
:beer:
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Pretty sweet game, froobs.

#BaltimoreStrong
dapperathy

Post by dapperathy »

YBBR wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:59 pm For me personally, it's how well Ubisoft has handled all their post release content and constant updating and fixing of games people were having criticisms with or just didn't feel aspects of it were fun that has me interested in this game the most.
Yeah, Ubi has been top notch with their long-term support. I've dumped hundreds of hours into The Division and that game is still getting regular updates. Lots of my friends play Siege on a weekly basis and won't stop praising it. Even Steep, which was a relative bomb saleswise, just had a patch drop yesterday.

I bit on the Gold package, as the season pass stuff looks great.

Didn't get to play last night, as I had to download the 5gb patch which takes a couple hours on my backwoods internet. Can't wait to dig in this afternoon.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

dapperathy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 am
YBBR wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:59 pm For me personally, it's how well Ubisoft has handled all their post release content and constant updating and fixing of games people were having criticisms with or just didn't feel aspects of it were fun that has me interested in this game the most.
Yeah, Ubi has been top notch with their long-term support. I've dumped hundreds of hours into The Division and that game is still getting regular updates. Lots of my friends play Siege on a weekly basis and won't stop praising it. Even Steep, which was a relative bomb saleswise, just had a patch drop yesterday.

I bit on the Gold package, as the season pass stuff looks great.

Didn't get to play last night, as I had to download the 5gb patch which takes a couple hours on my backwoods internet. Can't wait to dig in this afternoon.
I went in for the Gold Edition as well but I didn't have a 5gb patch... it was maybe 550mb and took about 5-10 mins... odd. I'm on PS4.. maybe that's the difference.

But it's so much fun so far. I haven't played enough to really put my thoughts together yet but it's a beautiful game. The intro sequence is pretty intense.

#BaltimoreStrong
dapperathy

Post by dapperathy »

The 5gb patch rolled out on Steam yesterday morning, but I have my account set to only download updates overnight. My fault for not paying attention.
dapperathy

Post by dapperathy »

Okay, this game is bonkers. Having fun trying to stealthily take down people with my bow only to watch them get eaten by a goddamned bear before I get a shot off.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Downloading this game now!
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
dapperathy

Post by dapperathy »

Absolutely in love with the soundtrack. Previous Far Cry games had lots of great music as well, but this is a nice change that fits the setting perfectly.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

The only complaint I have, and it's minor, is that sometimes you're just overwhelmed with enemies. Couple patrols roll up on you with a bear and a random helicopter and you just get wrecked. You respawn and all the sudden the helicopter and a new patrol is back. Sometimes it pays to just run away lol.

#BaltimoreStrong
Herky

Post by Herky »

Game Informer didn't give it a great review but the person who reviewed it said it wasn't much different than past Far Cry's. I've only played Primal and Blood Dragon (which isn't really a normal Far Cry game). Most people seem to love it however.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Herky wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:00 am Game Informer didn't give it a great review but the person who reviewed it said it wasn't much different than past Far Cry's. I've only played Primal and Blood Dragon (which isn't really a normal Far Cry game). Most people seem to love it however.
It seems that the poor reviews are coming from commentary on the story and a certain "damn liberals! Guns and Jesus!" feel to the tone of the game. As a self described liberal, I don't think the game is advocating that sort of thing so much stealthily making fun of the MAGA culture. Kinda like the radio ads in the GTA series. Just spoofing American Culture by trying to sound serious while being so over the top. So I would just ignore anything knocking the story as it's overblown.

Regardless of your personal read on what they were going for I think it's perfect and a hell of a lot of fun. Last night I was driving around in a Semi with bald eagles painted on it and mounted machine guns listening to classic rock. IMO this is by far the best Far Cry game to date.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

"You hear we're not allowed to call it crop dusting anymore? It's now Aerial Application. Fucking Liberals...."

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

This game is so good.

#BaltimoreStrong
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:43 am This game is so good.
Get to bed!!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:47 am
Mandatory wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:43 am This game is so good.
Get to bed!!
10 more mins!

#BaltimoreStrong
Jaamz

Post by Jaamz »

This game is ridiculously fun and addicting!...Visually stunning on the xbox one x...props to Ubi for getting this open world game to run in true 4k on OneX.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

I have only played 3 and 4. The one thing I hate is the trippy dream sequences that are one of the hardest things to do in the games. Did they get rid of those?
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Obi-Wan wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:36 pm I have only played 3 and 4. The one thing I hate is the trippy dream sequences that are one of the hardest things to do in the games. Did they get rid of those?
There is one character in this game that induces "trippy dream sequences" but they are short. Do not skip this game based on that alone.

#BaltimoreStrong
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Can someone please give me cliff notes on what the Far Cry series even is? My gaming time is extremely limited these days and this is one series I've never gotten into...
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

B-Town wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:49 pm Can someone please give me cliff notes on what the Far Cry series even is? My gaming time is extremely limited these days and this is one series I've never gotten into...
In each game you play as an "every man" that gets thrust into some conflict in an exotic locale. The big villain, of which each game has, is usually far more interesting than the player character. You essentially fight against the bad guy and his army with your rebel allies to rescue people who were captured at the beginning of the game. Gameplay is first person focused on weapons customization, lots of weapons. You liberate areas through missions and taking "outposts", which you can choose to do with stealth or guns blazing. IMO the one thing the game has always done well is mayhem. You play a mission 10 times it's going to go different each time. There is also a lot of "climbing", grappling and aerial gameplay (planes, parachutes, helicopters"). Not quite on the level of Just Cause. And the wildlife, the wildlife is always a big part.

It's kinda like Dying Light, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Just Cause all mixed. Heaving on the Dying Light movement mechanics.

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Far Cry and Far Cry 2 were much different games. Crytek made the first one on the OG Cryengine and then they went Crysis crazy. And the second one had these cool open ended paths and objectives. From 3 on they have been just like Mandatory summed up.