Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fortnite

Video game themed message board
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Re: Fortnite

Post by Mandatory »

salamander wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:46 am
Mandatory wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:32 pm Appreciate the tips salamander but I deleted this game. It's a fine game but has little replay value to me and I'm taking a stand against battle royals games. I think they're ruining gaming.
I've thought that way about shooters in general for a long time so I get where you're coming from.
Yeah, shooters in general have really bummed me out. Battlefield is about the only franchise I really still love and even it burns me out.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

salamander wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:45 am
LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:28 pm
salamander wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:26 pm I've got 5 solo wins and about 30 squad wins. 1 duo win. One of my solo wins I didn't even fire a shot. The last few guys all died in the storm. This game is fuckin boss.
My youngest got his first Squad when playing as a solo person with no other team members today. He was pretty excited about that.

I've had about three or four Winns now we're either the other people as I was watching to push somebody in a gunbattle killed each other, or they tried to kill me with a rocket and ended up blowing themselves up.

I've had one fall out of a tree and died giving me the wind, and yes I've had one or the other people got lost in the storm.
That's pretty sweet. Squad wins, solo is tough as hell.
I have 3. Biggest deal is you kinda have to camp out and hope the other's squads die off. Either that, or get a squad in a building in separate rooms so they can't defend each other.
My body, my choice.
salamander

Post by salamander »

salamander wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 am
LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:32 pm 5. Don't let people talk you into giving up on "noob tactics". The Bush is a powerful tool.
Are we talking about video games here?

My kids always give me grief because I will camp out in a bush and scope out an area until I see where people are and where they are shooting.
:lol:

My squad mates that I play with regularly used to give me grief too because I have no problem using the bush item that makes you a bush. They'll all be up in their fort while I'm a bush down below. Once they realized that other squads would push their forts and run right past me allowing me run up their ramps right behind them in a pinch maneuver they stopped hating it. We've wiped out many squads with that play.

If you watch the best players like Ninja, they use tactics like that as well. Just recently in the $3 million pro-am tourney Ninja and Marshmallow sat in a little shack for like 15 minutes and won the game at the end.
Last edited by salamander on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:48 am I have 3. Biggest deal is you kinda have to camp out and hope the other's squads die off. Either that, or get a squad in a building in separate rooms so they can't defend each other.
Never even tried this (other than when my squad dies). I might have to. Sounds challenging.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Back to back squad wins last night with the "OG Squad" as we lovingly refer to ourselves when the 4 of us are together.

Win 1:
We started in Pleasant Park and didn't have a single other squad land with us which was weird because there's a challenge this week to kill 3 players there. Went north west through Haunted Hills and continued through Junk Junction and headed east to hit up the that big new soccer stadium. The whole time never once seeing an enemy. Needless to say, after 3 named areas and the stadium we had end game weapons and were fully loaded with big pots, chug jugs and medikits (healing/shield). The end circle was right outside of the stadium (near the crater) so we immediately ran into two squads having a massive build battle. We jumped in and wiped them out with only one squad mate knocked. Picked him up immediately and it was us 4 against another full squad. Sitting atop a huge fort and center of the circle we saw the last squad running in from the storm. We knocked one the last squad member from medium range while they were trying to get into the circle then my other 3 team mates pushed them while I stood atop the fort and pegged anyone who ran from behind cover. When my squad got there it turned into a shotgun battle which meant they weren't able to stay behind cover from me. 3 vs 3 shotgun battle with me over the top pegging the other team with my legendary burst fire AR lead to an easy victory. We had 10 kills as a squad. I don't think I've ever had this much luck in one squad game, with no battles up to the end circles and having the circles fall right where we needed them.

Win 2:
We landed at Anarchy Acres with another squad + a single player (I think). we each got a kill, I had two. That is 5 kills and squads are only 4 players so I don't know if it was just one guy or if his squad dipped out because there was so much going on early game. My first gun was a revolver (shittiest gun in the game but powerful) and I got a super lucky head shot kill with it right out of the gate, first shot (other guy had a common tac shotgun). Mowed down another guy with a suppressed pistol. We dipped through Tomato Town and mowed through a 2 person squad (others were dead, I assume), easy peazy. Next we went to Dusty Divot (came in from the east side) and ended up getting into a sniper battle with a squad on the south side of the Divot. We have a really good sniper on our team but one of guys we were up against was ridiculous. Pegging us every time we popped out to shoot (maybe even two of them were that good). We were at a clear disadvantage, sniper skill-wise so we decided to head into the Dusty Divot building site for more cover. I got sniped on the way in and removed from the match (Seriously, this guy was a ridiculously good shot, he must have head shot me from 150 meters with a bolt, easy). I'm fairly certain he was using a bolt action and a scoped AR. The other sniper team ended up getting hit from behind by another team but they came out on top with 2 players left. I think their sniper died because they were no where near as good at sniping after that. (8 players left in the match, 3 are ours) They must have realized it so they pushed my squad mates, ended up in a huge build battle and lost. Problem is, they took out our sniper. We have 2 squad members left and there are 5 players and a squad of 3 is pushing into the divot as well (this is where the end circle was ending up). One guy rocket launchered someone close range killing himself and one of our guys, I think that was the plan to make it 2 vs 1. Luckily the last guy left on our squad is the guy who excels the most with the scar, which he had. He had built a massive fort and rained bullets down upon the last two, killing one. The other guy went to take down his fort which thankfully he had a bounce pad to jump off the fort safely, he landed on another tower area and ripped into the dude on the ground. Win.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

I had a solo win last night. Came down to 3 of us at the end. 1 guy was in about a 9 story 1x1 fort, no idea where the other guy was.

We we're just outside of Dusty Divot on a little hill.

I was tucked behind a couple of trees, trying to snipe the guy in the tower, but he clearly had height advantage.

Finally I hear him shooting the other direction, figure what the hell, storm his tower with my LMG, shoot out the bottom level, his tower collapses and he falls to his death.

Now I'm on top of this wide open hill, no one around, no cover.

I pick up his loot, keep looking for someone, realize the last circle is just over the edge of the divot, so I figure player 2 is in the divot.

I wait for the storm, player can't get out of the divot, gets lost in the storm, I win. :lol:
My body, my choice.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Salamander - have you had your squad do the disco ball challenge yet? I can't find anyone to do it with.
My body, my choice.
salamander

Post by salamander »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:51 pm Salamander - have you had your squad do the disco ball challenge yet? I can't find anyone to do it with.
Yeah, we ended up waiting a couple days because those factories were a mad house and we couldn't even land there without immediately getting slaughtered. Have you gone on squad mode and just asked people to do it?

I've had people ask me before and I tend to do it but I've noticed a lot of them are like, "Thank God! Finally someone who will do the challenge."

Also, I think the best way to get people to do it is that 50v50 or 20v20v20v20v20. If you end up getting those factories on your battle bus side, just stand in there and dance and people will do it with you.
Last edited by salamander on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
salamander

Post by salamander »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:50 am I had a solo win last night. Came down to 3 of us at the end. 1 guy was in about a 9 story 1x1 fort, no idea where the other guy was.

We we're just outside of Dusty Divot on a little hill.

I was tucked behind a couple of trees, trying to snipe the guy in the tower, but he clearly had height advantage.

Finally I hear him shooting the other direction, figure what the hell, storm his tower with my LMG, shoot out the bottom level, his tower collapses and he falls to his death.

Now I'm on top of this wide open hill, no one around, no cover.

I pick up his loot, keep looking for someone, realize the last circle is just over the edge of the divot, so I figure player 2 is in the divot.

I wait for the storm, player can't get out of the divot, gets lost in the storm, I win. :lol:
:lol: Nice. The guy in the tower probably thought game over, then... DEATH.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

TrueBlue wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 am
Herky wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:36 am I played it for the first time last night. I'm terrible at it.
ya i played once last week... think were just too far behind at this point to cath up.

Doesn't help that there isnt a tutorial (from what i can tell)
I know I am at a distinct disadvantage because I do not build stuff.

However last night I was playing, and two guys were in a build battle, and I noticed that they had one ramp about a third of the way up. I then shot out that ramp the whole entire Fort collapsed and they both died. I ended up second, the other guy had 25 Health left, after we got into an assault rifle shoot out and he switched to his shotgun to finish me off when I forgot to.

So just because you use Builder Pro doesn't mean you're an automatic champion. But it does give you an advantage for sure.
My body, my choice.
salamander

Post by salamander »

TrueBlue wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 am
Herky wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:36 am I played it for the first time last night. I'm terrible at it.
ya i played once last week... think were just too far behind at this point to cath up.

Doesn't help that there isnt a tutorial (from what i can tell)
They're adding a new mode where you can practice.
You're never too far behind in this game, just need to learn to build or you're screwed.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

I played squads last night and got lucky. The first game my other random Squad members joining me for the disco ball. Now I just have one more weeks challenges to get the Blockbuster skin.
My body, my choice.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Played squads for 3 games tonight. One of them I knocked a player down when I had a trap, built walls around the player, got the trap elimination for week ...... 5? Anyways, it was the last week I needed to get the Blockbuster skin.

Now I gotta try to get to season level 65 for the Carbide Pick Ax. I'm at 57 right now with 2 weeks left. Not sure I'll make it. Definitely won't make 80 for all of the Omega challenges.
My body, my choice.
salamander

Post by salamander »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:25 pm I played squads last night and got lucky. The first game my other random Squad members joining me for the disco ball. Now I just have one more weeks challenges to get the Blockbuster skin.
Nice dude.
salamander

Post by salamander »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:28 pm Played squads for 3 games tonight. One of them I knocked a player down when I had a trap, built walls around the player, got the trap elimination for week ...... 5? Anyways, it was the last week I needed to get the Blockbuster skin.

Now I gotta try to get to season level 65 for the Carbide Pick Ax. I'm at 57 right now with 2 weeks left. Not sure I'll make it. Definitely won't make 80 for all of the Omega challenges.
I don't think you'll fully unlock Omega. I bet you can get to 65 if you do every weeks challenge.

It also sounds to me like you haven't done any of the secret, hidden battle stars for each week. There are 7 hidden battle stars (you need to have fully completed a week to unlock one (loading screens (#) show locations), so 7 fully completed weeks and you can find all of them)

Just look up where they all are. After getting all 7 I'd guess you'd be well into level 60's. Because they give you massive amounts of XP.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

salamander wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:11 am
LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:28 pm Played squads for 3 games tonight. One of them I knocked a player down when I had a trap, built walls around the player, got the trap elimination for week ...... 5? Anyways, it was the last week I needed to get the Blockbuster skin.

I don't think you'll fully unlock Omega. I bet you can get to 65 if you do every weeks challenge.

It also sounds to me like you haven't done any of the secret, hidden battle stars for each week. There are 7 hidden battle stars (you need to have fully completed a week to unlock one (loading screens (#) show locations), so 7 fully completed weeks and you can find all of them)

Just look up where they all are. After getting all 7 I'd guess you'd be well into level 60's. Because they give you massive amounts of XP.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
I was wondering what those loading screens were all about. I heard my youngest talking to his buddies about them one time when I was eavesdropping on his conversations but I never looked into it any further than that.

and yeah I would have to probably live solely playing fortnite for the next two weeks and even then I do not think I could get to level 80.
My body, my choice.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

if you thought about jumping into the game, tomorrow starts season 5, and they're hinting at a complete remake of the game. So if you get in tomorrow or the next day you're going to be on the same footing as everybody else.

we are heading to Kansas City for 4 days, so I am going to have to be playing catch-up next week.
My body, my choice.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Has the player base peaked at all? Is it still growing as fast it was?

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:40 am Has the player base peaked at all? Is it still growing as fast it was?
The video game community is starting to turn on the game. This happens when a game is getting "mainstream", everyone has a hot take on why the game isn't that good. (Even though the FPS genre was in desperate need for a fresh take and Fortnite finally delivered one.)

The only numbers we have are that it jumped from 2 mil in January to 3.4 mil concurrent players in February. They added iphone and Switch versions since then. I doubt it's growing "as fast as it was" because the Steam record is around 3.2 mil (player unknown's battleground) and when you get that high it's gunna level off at some point.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:40 am Has the player base peaked at all? Is it still growing as fast it was?
It's the most played game in the world (I believe).
My body, my choice.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Well, season 5 started like a dud. Epic had to shut down game services because they either couldn't handle the traffic or there were some major bugs in this massive overhaul of their map. I got to play 2 games before the shut down and about 5 games after.

Love the new tier 100 Viking skin and I love the new Vikings area added to the map. I think the Norse area is my new favorite place in the game, and big surprise it's right by my old favorite, Snobby Shores. This has pretty much solidified the Southwest corner of the map as the best area in the map. Now with Snobby Shores, viking area, evil villain lair, soccer field, Shifty Shafts, Big Chair, Big Tree and the factories next to Flush Factories.

Ragnarok, Season 5 Tier 100 skin:
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Has the Sony controversy been discussed yet? It's crazy that hasn't been adjusted yet. Horrible decision by sony to lock accounts.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Got my first win in season 5 yesterday. A new feature I like, is as the storm gets to the last stages, the cirle actually moves into the storm.

Now people can't just gain high ground and shoot at you from above, they have to constantly move their base.
My body, my choice.
salamander

Post by salamander »

OliverMiller wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:23 am Has the Sony controversy been discussed yet? It's crazy that hasn't been adjusted yet. Horrible decision by sony to lock accounts.
Yeah, they're gunna feel the hurt when the next gen consoles come out.

This response was a slap in the face. I'm an avid Sony fan (and a playstation fan through that) but I find myself wondering if I should go Xbox after that statement. I just dread having to use the terrible Xbox controller. I've never liked them. The controllers are far too bulky for me, which makes them less precise IMO.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

salamander wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:41 pm
OliverMiller wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:23 am Has the Sony controversy been discussed yet? It's crazy that hasn't been adjusted yet. Horrible decision by sony to lock accounts.

This response was a slap in the face. I'm an avid Sony fan (and a playstation fan through that) but I find myself wondering if I should go Xbox after that statement. I just dread having to use the terrible Xbox controller. I've never liked them. The controllers are far too bulky for me, which makes them less precise IMO.
Haha it's crazy how much opinion factors in. I'm the complete opposite with controllers. PlayStation have always felt too small to me.
salamander

Post by salamander »

OliverMiller wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:05 pm
salamander wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:41 pm

Haha it's crazy how much opinion factors in. I'm the complete opposite with controllers. PlayStation have always felt too small to me.
I hear ya. My best friend is of the same opinion. You should hear us when we play UFC 3.
I win 75% of the time on my PS4 and he bitches about the controller.
He wins 75% of the time on his Xbox One and I'm the one bitching about the controller.

Comfort-ability with a controller is a major thing in gaming.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Been playing for a couple months on Xbone, just saw this thread.

I mostly stink. Slow builder, impatient camper. I like loading up shit and getting to the mix where I can just blast away as much ammo as possible before someone shotguns me close range.
salamander

Post by salamander »

T_J wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:05 pm Been playing for a couple months on Xbone, just saw this thread.

I mostly stink. Slow builder, impatient camper. I like loading up shit and getting to the mix where I can just blast away as much ammo as possible before someone shotguns me close range.
Switch up ur controls from combat pro to builder pro.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

What controversy?

#BaltimoreStrong
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:41 pm
What controversy?
Sony locking accounts on other platforms