Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Any must play games come out in the past year and a half?

Video game themed message board
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Any must play games come out in the past year and a half?

Post by Abe Froman »

I need a new game. For the past year and a half my gaming has really fallen off. I still enjoy it, bit it's almost like I just feel like it's too big of a chore to even start one... It's super weird. Tell me there's a must play title out there I haven't tried yet!
I made this!
jffl_commish

Re: Any must play games come out in the past year and a half?

Post by jffl_commish »

Horizon Forbidden West in February 2022.

AC Odyssey was awesome, did you play that?
Let's get Tropical
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:25 pm Horizon Forbidden West in February 2022.

AC Odyssey was awesome, did you play that?
I always struggled with AC games. Odyssey was good though.
I made this!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

What specifically are you looking to play?
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Some universally praised games from recent times:

Deathloop
Hades
Psychonauts 2
Death's Door
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
The Forgotten City
Disco Elysium
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Hitman 3
Outer Wilds
Ori & The Will of the Wisps
Spiritfarer
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:05 pm I need a new game. For the past year and a half my gaming has really fallen off. I still enjoy it, bit it's almost like I just feel like it's too big of a chore to even start one... It's super weird. Tell me there's a must play title out there I haven't tried yet!
You picked a good time. There hasn't been anything that good in a really long time.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:46 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:05 pm I need a new game. For the past year and a half my gaming has really fallen off. I still enjoy it, bit it's almost like I just feel like it's too big of a chore to even start one... It's super weird. Tell me there's a must play title out there I haven't tried yet!
You picked a good time. There hasn't been anything that good in a really long time.
Yeah... Until I sell the house I'm gonna be broke as fuck... I figure now would be a good time to get back into gaming... Is RE4 is coming to the oculus... I might have to revisit that on VR.
I made this!
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Resident Evil: Village was great.
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

Its a little past your timeline, but RimWorld may be the best indie game ever. Can be a bit tedious, but damn is it a good time. Check out some youtubes.
Oh and PC Master Race. Fuck the consoles.
Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Winston

Post by Winston »

Guardians of the Galaxy is my next slated game to play as I have a DL Code.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I highly recommend Hades. That game is phenomenal.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:38 pm
Yeah... Until I sell the house I'm gonna be broke as fuck... I figure now would be a good time to get back into gaming... Is RE4 is coming to the oculus... I might have to revisit that on VR.
If you like third person shooters, Rogue Company is free and pretty fun.

It's a really easy game to pick up and put down whenever you want. Just pick up your sticks shoot some players and quite whenever you have to.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

salamander wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:10 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:38 pm

If you like third person shooters, Rogue Company is free and pretty fun.

It's a really easy game to pick up and put down whenever you want. Just pick up your sticks shoot some players and quite whenever you have to.
I'll check it out. We are moving all the big shit today, so I'll have my whole gaming set up at the new place next week.
I made this!
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

None of these are must plays.. but...

Mafia series games were recently remastered
AC Valhalla
Riders Republic - It's like Steep and a "mountain biking" game combined. Really fun, if you ever liked N64 games like 1080, and you can ski/snowboard/snowmobile/paraglide/jetpack/mountain bike/walk all over a huge recreation of multiple national parks. Just came out.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:40 pm None of these are must plays.. but...

AC Valhalla
Riders Republic - It's like Steep and a "mountain biking" game combined. Really fun, if you ever liked N64 games like 1080, and you can ski/snowboard/snowmobile/paraglide/jetpack/mountain bike/walk all over a huge recreation of multiple national parks. Just came out.
What do you think of Vallhalla? That's the game I've been playing recently. I'm liking it but due to playing the previous title not too long ago, I'm probably a bit burnt out on the AC games at the moment.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:01 am
Mandatory wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:40 pm None of these are must plays.. but...

AC Valhalla
What do you think of Vallhalla? That's the game I've been playing recently. I'm liking it but due to playing the previous title not too long ago, I'm probably a bit burnt out on the AC games at the moment.
I did not finish it but I blame that on getting about halfway through the game on my PS4 then starting over when the PS5 came out. I probably only ever made it about two thirds through it, and never touched the DLCs. By the time the seasonal events started I just felt behind and never went back. I'll go back some day.

That said I thought it was an excellent game. I personally love the AC and Far Cry series, and feel this years (last year in this case) version of both games was a sort of "back to what made them great". But I also completely understand anyone who is burned out. With that in mind it's a LONG game with LOTS of content.

It's very fun, and well made, and I have a high affinity for the history of AngloSaxon/Danelaw England. But I think you'd be just fine skipping it... maybe picking it up down the road like some did with Odyssey and Origins.

I would tell you to play Cyberpunk 2077 over it if you haven't.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong