Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Far Cry 6 is out

Video game themed message board
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Far Cry 6 is out

Post by Mandatory »

Released yesterday.. played a little last night.

Looks and feels really good. Peak Far Cry if you ask me....

Which brings me to.. ignore the articles bashing this game. They amount to "it's just more Far Cry!". Well yeah, that was the idea..
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Jimi_Thing

Re: Far Cry 6 is out

Post by Jimi_Thing »

This feels like a game I will probably pick up with the Black Friday sales. I'm a fan, and like you said, the 'just another Far Cry' is not something that I view as a negative. The games are fun.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Ubi shits formula is stale.

From what I'm hearing it's not a bad game by any means but it isn't a great game.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:10 pm This feels like a game I will probably pick up with the Black Friday sales. I'm a fan, and like you said, the 'just another Far Cry' is not something that I view as a negative. The games are fun.
That's where I'm at too. Get the Black Friday deal (hopefully) then launch into that over the holiday weekend. It has to be epic with Giancarlo Esposito rolling in it.
Let's get Tropical
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:13 pm Ubi shits formula is stale.

From what I'm hearing it's not a bad game by any means but it isn't a great game.
I don't disagree that it's "stale" (I don't mind it personally). But the argument would be to not make the game. Complaining once it's made that it's not more innovative is what's weird to me.

(You're not making this argument, but this is what I'm seeing online)

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:25 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:10 pm This feels like a game I will probably pick up with the Black Friday sales. I'm a fan, and like you said, the 'just another Far Cry' is not something that I view as a negative. The games are fun.
That's where I'm at too. Get the Black Friday deal (hopefully) then launch into that over the holiday weekend. It has to be epic with Giancarlo Esposito rolling in it.
I haven't played much of the game but the cutscenes involving him are very well done and acted. He's definitely a highlight.

#BaltimoreStrong
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:33 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:25 pm
I haven't played much of the game but the cutscenes involving him are very well done and acted. He's definitely a highlight.
I'm looking forward to his scenes and interactions. That dude is so good.
Let's get Tropical
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

It's Far Cry 3 again, again, again, again. They stick to their formulas. Which is fine, but just has diminishing returns each time you do it. For me personally.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:53 am It's Far Cry 3 again, again, again, again. They stick to their formulas. Which is fine, but just has diminishing returns each time you do it. For me personally.
I can't do it again... Maybe if it's like $30 around Black Friday or something...
I made this!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I'm thinking Giancarlo Esposito will make this a must play game. I hope I'm right. That dude is great.
Let's get Tropical
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:15 pm
YBBR wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:53 am It's Far Cry 3 again, again, again, again. They stick to their formulas. Which is fine, but just has diminishing returns each time you do it. For me personally.
I can't do it again... Maybe if it's like $30 around Black Friday or something...
Yeah, I'm good. Don't need to play any more of these until they drastically change and do something new.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
salamander

Post by salamander »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:38 pm Released yesterday.. played a little last night.

Which brings me to.. ignore the articles bashing this game. They amount to "it's just more Far Cry!". Well yeah, that was the idea..
I love Far Cry. I still need to play the last one though. They can get really boring by the end of the game but the journey to boredom is a blast.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

salamander wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:12 pm
Mandatory wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:38 pm Released yesterday.. played a little last night.

I love Far Cry. I still need to play the last one though. They can get really boring by the end of the game but the journey to boredom is a blast.
I still need to finish new dawn expansion. It is fun levelling but once you get the best guns and max everything I get bored.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Just bought and it's installing now as I watch the Vikings game.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

It's definitely more far cry which I understand some folks don't have the interest or bandwidth for. But it's definitely the peak of the series for me. All the mechanics at their best. Not a ground breaking story but the big bad is great and your player character actually has lines and cut scenes which is a nice choice.

If you love Far Cry I think you'll enjoy it a lot.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Couple items.

You don't really buy guns, vehicles like in past games. You can still technically "buy" weapons but they're unlocked as you level up and you can also(probably will) find them in the world before you can buy them.

There are now ammo types. The two main are "soft body" and "armor piercing". I don't like this decision but I feel it doesn't make too much of a difference. You have 4 weapon slots from the get go. So you can have a load out of "specialized weapons". Otherwise you're going to be dumping two mags into heavy enemies if all you've got is soft body. I don't like this choice, and I was concerned at first, but I barely notice it now. Just instinctively swap weapons, which I often do anyways in lieu of reloading.

There's a heavy emphasis on "scrap" weapons called supremos. You'll always have at least one in the form of a "back pack", but you can largely ignore them if you choose to. Different mechanic, sort of corny, but done well enough and fits within the game narrative.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:09 pm Couple items.

You don't really buy guns, vehicles like in past games. You can still technically "buy" weapons but they're unlocked as you level up and you can also(probably will) find them in the world before you can buy them.

There are now ammo types. The two main are "soft body" and "armor piercing". I don't like this decision but I feel it doesn't make too much of a difference. You have 4 weapon slots from the get go. So you can have a load out of "specialized weapons". Otherwise you're going to be dumping two mags into heavy enemies if all you've got is soft body. I don't like this choice, and I was concerned at first, but I barely notice it now. Just instinctively swap weapons, which I often do anyways in lieu of reloading.

There's a heavy emphasis on "scrap" weapons called supremos. You'll always have at least one in the form of a "back pack", but you can largely ignore them if you choose to. Different mechanic, sort of corny, but done well enough and fits within the game narrative.
During the intro, why didn't they all swarm the antagonist inside the boat and do everyone a favor. This bothers me already.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:03 am
Mandatory wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:09 pm Couple items.

During the intro, why didn't they all swarm the antagonist inside the boat and do everyone a favor. This bothers me already.
I was also sort of like.. wtf is going on. I find the tutorial sections of games are always pretty crappy. Luckily it wasn't too long in this game.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

It's okay. I wouldn't pick it up for $60. I'm thinking of giving it away to one of my friends because once I stop playing it for a week I'll probably never play it again.

Watchdogs Legion was/is way better and is kind of the same game. I'd recommend it over this. It's twice as good.

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Not much of a black Friday sale so far, unless it's going to drop more. Currently at $40
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:16 am Not much of a black Friday sale so far, unless it's going to drop more. Currently at $40
Don do it! It was so lame I gave it to a co-worker for free. It's not the money wasted you want to avoid, but rather the time spent systematically beating it just like every UbiSoft game.

Seriously, if you want a better version of this, play Watch Dogs Legion and turn on "permanent kills". The fact you can recruit anyone in the game, and it's random (I started over WiTH permanent kills after I was kinda far into it), and they each have special things (some people have the same).

This game is grate!
Last edited by Tommy_Hawk on Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:41 am
jffl_commish wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:16 am Not much of a black Friday sale so far, unless it's going to drop more. Currently at $40
Don do it! It was so lame I gave it to a co-worker for free. It's not the money wasted you want to avoid, but rather the time spent systematically beating it just like every UbiSoft game.

Seriously, if you want a better version of this, play Watch Dogs Legion and turn on "permanent kills". The fact you can recruit anyone in the game, and it's random (I started over WiTH permanent kills after I was kinda far into it), and they each have special things (some people have the same).
Weird post. In that it objectively is not a "lame game". You just didn't like it. And that's fine. I just don't like hyperbole when it comes to video games. It was a great game, just not for everyone.

Now Watch Dogs Legion was a game I also enjoyed, but IMO it's a much more hollow game then Far Cry 6. Not even close, from a mechanism/content standpoint. I do like the mechanism of recruit anyone, but you realize quickly how limited it actually is.

I personally very much enjoyed both games.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Mandatory wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:51 pm

Weird post. In that it objectively is not a "lame game". You just didn't like it. And that's fine. I just don't like hyperbole when it comes to video games. It was a great game, just not for everyone.

Now Watch Dogs Legion was a game I also enjoyed, but IMO it's a much more hollow game then Far Cry 6. Not even close, from a mechanism/content standpoint. I do like the mechanism of recruit anyone, but you realize quickly how limited it actually is.

Fair enough.

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:51 pm
Mandatory wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:51 pm

Fair enough.
I'm sorry for being a dick about it. I don't have a problem with you not liking it. Honest!!!

I just get irritated with hyperbole when it comes to video games. But that's my issue. :beer:

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

With Far Cry 6 out, why the fuck is Far Cry 5 still 59.99 on the PS store?

I really want to go to disc-less gaming but this kind of bullshit is what makes me not do it.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

salamander wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:25 pm With Far Cry 6 out, why the fuck is Far Cry 5 still 59.99 on the PS store?

I really want to go to disc-less gaming but this kind of bullshit is what makes me not do it.
That's bizarre. If it doesn't have the dlc/expansion included that's bullshit. Far Cry 5 was great but not worth fullprice this many years later.

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:05 pm
salamander wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:25 pm With Far Cry 6 out, why the fuck is Far Cry 5 still 59.99 on the PS store?

That's bizarre. If it doesn't have the dlc/expansion included that's bullshit. Far Cry 5 was great but not worth fullprice this many years later.
I usually play Farcry late because the graphics always hold up pretty well. But yeah, not paying Full price for FC5.