Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Steam Deck - the ultimate handheld!

Video game themed message board
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Steam Deck - the ultimate handheld!

Post by Abe Froman »

But...? Can it run VR?

Because... If it can, and at it's size, you potentially could strap this puppy onto your back and connect it to the oculus 2 for perfect wireless VR!!! On a budget!

The steam Deck comes at 3 price points based on storage mostly. $399 64gb ssd, $549 256gb ssd and a better version of the ssd, and 512 gb SSD. All models allow for adding memory through an SD card.

Check it out! Let's talk about this thing!!!
I made this!
LordNu

Re: Steam Deck - the ultimate handheld!

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:43 pm But...? Can it run VR?

Because... If it can, and at it's size, you potentially could strap this puppy onto your back and connect it to the oculus 2 for perfect wireless VR!!! On a budget!

The steam Deck comes at 3 price points based on storage mostly. $399 64gb ssd, $549 256gb ssd and a better version of the ssd, and 512 gb SSD. All models allow for adding memory through an SD card.

It actually should be able to, but I question the graphics card quality at that price. Need at least 6DDR.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

LordNu wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:13 am

It actually should be able to, but I question the graphics card quality at that price. Need at least 6DDR.
Theoretically... It could be pretty damn cool. Better than trying to stream though wifi.
I made this!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:36 am

Theoretically... It could be pretty damn cool. Better than trying to stream though wifi.
What annoys me is that to have the wireless games, you can only buy them through oculus. Maybe I should try the streaming, I got creed which is both wireless and wired, so should be alright to try stream ?
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

LordNu wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:01 am
Abe Froman wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:36 am

What annoys me is that to have the wireless games, you can only buy them through oculus. Maybe I should try the streaming, I got creed which is both wireless and wired, so should be alright to try stream ?
Why stream Creed? It's on your headset?
Isn't it? So the list if games I sent you are pretty much all stand alone games. Meaning once downloaded, little to no internet required, depending on the game, and no PC tethering at all. Those games just require the headset and nothing else.

Did you buy the quest or the quest 2? The rift and rift s require tethering... Hope you didn't buy that.

Nope

https://sidequestvr.com/
I made this!
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Half life alyx is a game you have to tether for.... Tho, you can use the virtual desktop method I mentioned and it works well, if your wifi is good.
I made this!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Quest 2, I bought creed through a steam VR bundle, hence why it downloads to my pc not oculus.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

LordNu wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:15 pm Quest 2, I bought creed through a steam VR bundle, hence why it downloads to my pc not oculus.
Oh. Then you need to do the virtual desktop method.
I made this!
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I think Abe wants out of his current reality permanently. VR 24/7.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:27 pm I think Abe wants out of his current reality permanently. VR 24/7.
:shrug:

I think I'd get pretty sick of the goggles strapped to my face.
I made this!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:10 pm
LordNu wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:15 pm Quest 2, I bought creed through a steam VR bundle, hence why it downloads to my pc not oculus.
Didn't Oculus release an app to link wirelessly so you didn't have to pay for virtual desktop?
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

LordNu wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:06 pm
Didn't Oculus release an app to link wirelessly so you didn't have to pay for virtual desktop?
Might have. I'm currently charging mine as we speak to use it tonight. I love it, and I don't use it enough. I seriously haven't played a video game, VR, PC, handheld, phone, or console, in over 2 months... Kinda just felt like I needed to press pause and worry instead...
I made this!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:12 pm

Might have. I'm currently charging mine as we speak to use it tonight. I love it, and I don't use it enough. I seriously haven't played a video game, VR, PC, handheld, phone, or console, in over 2 months... Kinda just felt like I needed to press pause and worry instead...
But the olympics are on...
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

LordNu wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:14 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:12 pm

But the olympics are on...
Very few shits given.
I made this!