Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2021 E3

Video game themed message board
Herky

Re: 2021 E3

Post by Herky »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:10 pm
Herky wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:20 pm
YBBR wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:06 pm Feel like the second Outer Worlds will be better. With Microsoft money actually affecting the development of it. Obsidian was all done with development by the time the were acquired last go round.
:thumbsup: They made that game saying if it sold well they would up the budget and make another one. If this ends up being a AAA title release it could be epic. The last one was really good even with average at best graphics.
That's because graphics have almost no bearing on whether a game is good or not. Keep the graphics and use the extra funds to make an even greater game with few stones unturned. Maximize the memory aspect of what can and can't be done, characters, storyline, NPC's, cities, weapons, ect.
I thought The Outer Worlds had a good story and characters. The look just felt outdated IMO. Overall it was a great game.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Herky wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:23 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:10 pm
Herky wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:20 pm

:thumbsup: They made that game saying if it sold well they would up the budget and make another one. If this ends up being a AAA title release it could be epic. The last one was really good even with average at best graphics.
That's because graphics have almost no bearing on whether a game is good or not. Keep the graphics and use the extra funds to make an even greater game with few stones unturned. Maximize the memory aspect of what can and can't be done, characters, storyline, NPC's, cities, weapons, ect.
I thought The Outer Worlds had a good story and characters. The look just felt outdated IMO. Overall it was a great game.
Yeah, it was good. It seemed pretty easy though. But like Mandy says, sometimes you just want to play a game on easy and have fun enjoying the story.

Nobody ever thought "the gameplay sucks, but the graphics are great, and make the game so good.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I jump into the original Deus Ex every two years or so and the graphics mean nothing. Graphics are the pickles, ketchup and mustard of a hamburger, nice but that's not why I bought the fucking hamburger.

I feel like we are reaching a point where graphics are too high fidelity and I find it fatiguing. I was watching playthroughs of some games and it's too much sensory input and an assault on my eyes.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:41 pm I jump into the original Deus Ex every two years or so and the graphics mean nothing. Graphics are the pickles, ketchup and mustard of a hamburger, nice but that's not why I bought the fucking hamburger.

I feel like we are reaching a point where graphics are too high fidelity and I find it fatiguing. I was watching playthroughs of some games and it's too much sensory input and an assault on my eyes.
They cost too much in all resources. The ROI isn't there. Make more better games for less utilizing the extra leftover memory/RAM/hardware/GPU shit to add more depth and options to games. It shouldn't take 15 years in-between Elder Scrolls games. It shouldn't take 20 years in-between Baldurs Gate games.

Breath of Fire to Chrono Trigger to Breath of Fire II to FFIII to FFVII wasn't nearly as long and those games are legendary, institutional titles for an entire generation of gamers, and they are arguably superior.

Don't even get me started on the superiority of PS2-Xbox Madden/NCAAF games versus 360-XBox1-PS3-PS4 Madden/NCAAF games .

I barely finish many games anymore because I get too bored before the finale. FO76, RDR2, GTAV, Skyrim are a few I've been able to lately. Luckily their replayability is good.

Games should be getting better with technology, not burdensome and worse.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:33 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:41 pm I jump into the original Deus Ex every two years or so and the graphics mean nothing. Graphics are the pickles, ketchup and mustard of a hamburger, nice but that's not why I bought the fucking hamburger.

They cost too much in all resources. The ROI isn't there. Make more better games for less utilizing the extra leftover memory/RAM/hardware/GPU shit to add more depth and options to games. It shouldn't take 15 years in-between Elder Scrolls games. It shouldn't take 20 years in-between Baldurs Gate games.

Breath of Fire to Chrono Trigger to Breath of Fire II to FFIII to FFVII wasn't nearly as long and those games are legendary, institutional titles for an entire generation of gamers, and they are arguably superior.

Don't even get me started on the superiority of PS2-Xbox Madden/NCAAF games versus 360-XBox1-PS3-PS4 Madden/NCAAF games .

I barely finish many games anymore because I get too bored before the finale. FO76, RDR2, GTAV, Skyrim are a few I've been able to lately. Luckily their replayability is good.

Can't argue with any of that.

From a playability standpoint, have they improved on a hockey game since NHL 94/95? I think Dreamcast Madden or was it another NFL title was the most playable football game I've played.

Basically games have become where wannabe movie directors go. I want a game, not a cinematic experience.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:03 am
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:33 pm

Can't argue with any of that.

From a playability standpoint, have they improved on a hockey game since NHL 94/95? I think Dreamcast Madden or was it another NFL title was the most playable football game I've played.

Basically games have become where wannabe movie directors go. I want a game, not a cinematic experience.
That'll be 90$ for your Deluxe Edition Cinematic Experience. Be patient, it's going to need monthly patches for the next two years.

YBBR

Post by YBBR »

There's plenty of lower budget or indie games that execute a more artistic or simpler art style that are still beautiful or visually appealing and are great games in themselves. There's tons of great games coming from all over the design space. You have to dive a little deeper than surface level AAA titles but there's plenty of ways to find the cream of the crop of those titles.

Check them out. They're almost always a lot cheaper too.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."