Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

All Things FromSoftware: SoulsBourneCoreRing

Video game themed message board
salamander

All Things FromSoftware: SoulsBourneCoreRing

Post by salamander »

ok. I'm at the end of Sekiro and have been fighting Isshin, The Sword Saint for about a two days now.

I really have to say that I never thought any game would top mega man as far as stellar boss battles. Hidetaka Miyazaki (from software) has got to now be considered the master of boss battle design. Video game schools should use Central Yharnam (Bloodborne) as the guidebook for level design.

Dark souls were the rough draft. Nioh is a good imitation but nowherAll Things FromSoftware: SoulsBourneCoreRinge near the master of fair physics. From Software and Miyazaki are masters of boss battles. I'm have so much fun with the "get good" From Software philosophy.

Now we get the grand daddy of them all. Written by George RR Martin (Song of Ice and Fire aka Game of Thrones) designed by Miyazaki. We saw what From Software could do with a stellar writers work in Bloodborne (H P Lovecfaft, see Cthulhu) and it was probably the best game of the PS4 generation.

There is no doubt, Miyazaki is a master Gamesmith that creates multiple hits on every generation of console and they never miss. His set of rules; "the enemy never has an unfair advantage" but is tough as nails (enemy physics follow the same rules as the player) is what video games are all about.

Elden Ring trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lls6Gdua_XY
Last edited by salamander on Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Unbiased Observer

Re: Elden Ring

Post by Unbiased Observer »

That goddamn lazy fuck couldn't write a real ending for Game of Thrones but he has time for video games? Fuck him.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:40 pm That goddamn lazy fuck couldn't write a real ending for Game of Thrones but he has time for video games? Fuck him.
:lol: :lol: This was more important. :beer:
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:40 pm That goddamn lazy fuck couldn't write a real ending for Game of Thrones but he has time for video games? Fuck him.
:beer:

Agreed. He's a real ****.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
salamander

Post by salamander »

PS5?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

salamander wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:39 pmPS5?
It'll be next gen. Nobody knows anything about Elden Ring. They announced it but have shown nothing yet as far as gameplay, story, cutscenes etc... could even be 2 years off. Demon Souls Remastered might be what you need in the meantime.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
salamander

Post by salamander »

YBBR wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:25 pm
It'll be next gen. Nobody knows anything about Elden Ring. They announced it but have shown nothing yet as far as gameplay, story, cutscenes etc... could even be 2 years off. Demon Souls Remastered might be what you need in the meantime.
I actually just found out about that today. I might be looking that way.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Sekiro is the only one of those games that looks really good to me, playability wise. I tried Bloodbourne and a little earlier Dark Souls could never really get into them. I felt like they are a little too deliberate for my tastes.

Sekiro I might like because it seems more aggressive. I also like the setting better.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

salamander wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:27 pm
Yeah, thats to OG shit. PS3 From games. It does look very nice. The trailer looked pretty crazy.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

So yeah, Keeley said it will be launch date for PS5, so November 12th. And I havent checked but I bet that gets released on PS4 as well. It would be crazy if it didn't.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry is a big From fan as well. Curious to what you guys think are the pinnacle of those games from that studio?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:29 pm Sekiro is the only one of those games that looks really good to me, playability wise. I tried Bloodbourne and a little earlier Dark Souls could never really get into them. I felt like they are a little too deliberate for my tastes.

Sekiro I might like because it seems more aggressive. I also like the setting better.
And you loved Nioh? It's meant to be harder than Dark Souls.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:37 pm
YBBR wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:29 pm Sekiro is the only one of those games that looks really good to me, playability wise. I tried Bloodbourne and a little earlier Dark Souls could never really get into them. I felt like they are a little too deliberate for my tastes.

And you loved Nioh? It's meant to be harder than Dark Souls.
Love is maybe too strong but I did enjoy Nioh. Again I like the samurai setting with the yokai. Which is pretty similar to Sekiro. Which seems cool.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The fighting is superior to Bloodborne and DS even though I liked Bloodborne better.
salamander

Post by salamander »

YBBR wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:42 pm

Moses Scurry is a big From fan as well. Curious to what you guys think are the pinnacle of those games from that studio?
DS is still rough around the edges and I think Bloodborne is a their best game so far. Sekiro is actually a bit of a different game altogether. Their best fighting system is Sekiro and its not close even though I thought Sekiro was harder than the other games. You can fly around the battle with ease. When you beat Sword Saint Isshan you feel like a god and i don't think ive ever been as pumped during a fight. Ever. (Long ending Isshan, not the short ending Isshan)

Took me two weeks to beat the guy at the top of the castle but I still hadn't really learned the system yet. Took me forever to beat Lady Butterfly but the 2nd time through I wiped the floor with her. Easy.

If you liked Nioh more than Bloodborne then you'll most likely enjoy Sekiro more than Bloodborne. Just be warned its crazy hard at times. Learn the deflect dance.
salamander

Post by salamander »

r/EldenRing reddit is weird. Those peeps are going insane I think.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:15 pm Games that cause me to die like a billion times just tend to piss me off. I own all of the dark souls games and I really can't explain why because they just piss me off so badly I want to destroy my controller...

That said, I want to see what they are all about. This game too. There has to be a summary somewhere on youtube...
Gotta "Get Gud."
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

I want another entirely open world PvP MMORPG sandbox that isn’t pay to win. They will never make another, sadly. They simply aren’t as profitable as those legends. In those games..YOU could make the real $ selling loot online...those were the days my friends, those were the days. Pre-macro days where bare knuckled brawls ensured the one superior skill won. Open world first person shooters done well are the apex of gaming.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Got a date on the games showcase. Jan 21, 2022

Pretty soon
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Oops, read YBBR's post wrong. Good way to spend 3 months inside in MN. :thumbsup:
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Im going to be honest. My interest for this game is very low, even after watching the E3 trailer in the other thread. Idk, just doesn't move the needle for me, when by all accounts, a game like this should.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Herky

Post by Herky »

George RR Martin is never going to finish his books.

Is this supposed to be super hard like Dark Souls? I hated that game.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Herky wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:54 am George RR Martin is never going to finish his books.

Is this supposed to be super hard like Dark Souls? I hated that game.
Open world Dark Souls with mechanics taken from Bloodborne, Sekiro and Dark Souls.
salamander

Post by salamander »

:naners: :naners: :naners: :naners: :naners: :naners: :naners: :naners:
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I'm wondering...

Miyazaki loved Ico and Shadow of Colossus and was his inspiration for Dark Souls.

Given Sekiro grappling hook, could we be climbing giants like in Shadow of Colossus.

Plus the fucking horse can double jump.

This is a very sweet video...

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
salamander

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:04 pm This is a very sweet video...

Damn. I completely understand where he got his style of storytelling now. That's kind of crazy.

That was an awesome video.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Shit, we don't even have the trailer in this thread. I'm going to try and go in spoiler free. Going to stop watching videos other than this one.

Sekiro whistle to summon horse. :thumbsup:

salamander

Post by salamander »

FromSoftware really does a great job with having different difficulty modes set up so people can beat the game if it's too hard.

EASY DIFFICULTY MODE:
-Play with friends and enemy spirits all the time.
-Always fight against bosses accompanied by friends or npcs.
-Farm "gold" to level up whenever you can.
-Avoid clashes with non-mandatory bosses.
-Look at guides to find the best weapons, the paths and the weak points of the enemies.

NORMAL DIFFICULTY MODE:
-Play with friends and evil spirits from time to time.
-Fight together against bosses when you cannot defeat them alone in several attempts.
-Explore the world.
-Save optional bosses for later.

HARD DIFFICULTY MODE:
-Never play with anyone, just help other players to complete areas and defeat bosses that you have already defeated.
-Jump off the main road and explore the world.
-Fight against all optional bosses.
-Allows invasions (if possible to choose it)

ULTRA HARD DIFFICULTY MODE:
-Complete 100% of the game on level 1.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sekiro was kind of funny. It's f-ing hard that first playthrough. Easy mode is your second playthrough. I was at Genichiro in like 45 minutes on my second playthrough. The game hones your skills so well that you're a murderess killing machine on ng+.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 pm Sekiro was kind of funny. It's f-ing hard that first playthrough. Easy mode is your second playthrough. I was at Genichiro in like 45 minutes on my second playthrough. The game hones your skills so well that you're a murderess killing machine on ng+.
Same. Got to Genichiro incredibly fast. Kind of surprised me. Also wiped the floor with Genichiro the 2nd time through whereas it probably took me a week of turning it on, fighting him 3-5 times, then moving onto another game the first time through.

As far as combat goes, Sekiro is the best of the Soulsbourne games and probably one of my all time favorite ever.
The Sword Saint is one of thee most intense and fun fights ever to grace video games.