Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fallout 4

Video game themed message board
Herky

Fallout 4

Post by Herky »

So I started another un-modded play through. Going for some achievements that I missed previously. My character is a gunslinger build to start and I'm currently working on my settlements and getting perks unlocked from followers. I'll post some pictures of my settlement progress soon. Building some cool stuff and arming all my settlement folks with armor (Combat and leather) and decent guns (combat and laser). I'm currently a level 44 but haven't done much of the main quest or any DLC outside of meeting Longfellow at Far Harbor and finishing Valentine's quest there.

Stay tuned for pictures. I have some time put into a bar called Club 1776 in Sanctuary that I built from scratch. No mods so everything has been scrapped legitimately.
Herky

Re: Fallout 4

Post by Herky »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:30 pm I really want to figure out how to download Fallout New California sometime before the Coronavirus kills me or Summer starts. It looks pretty cool, imo. I haven't played a video games for more than a half hour in like 2 months, so maybe this weekend is the time to do it.
Isn't that still in public beta?
Herky

Post by Herky »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:27 pm
Herky wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:32 pm So I started another un-modded play through. Going for some achievements that I missed previously. My character is a gunslinger build to start and I'm currently working on my settlements and getting perks unlocked from followers. I'll post some pictures of my settlement progress soon. Building some cool stuff and arming all my settlement folks with armor (Combat and leather) and decent guns (combat and laser). I'm currently a level 44 but haven't done much of the main quest or any DLC outside of meeting Longfellow at Far Harbor and finishing Valentine's quest there.

Stay tuned for pictures. I have some time put into a bar called Club 1776 in Sanctuary that I built from scratch. No mods so everything has been scrapped legitimately.
I think I've restarted this game about 5 times. It is fun on the PC with the right mods. The problem is finding the right mods without fucking some part of the game up. I think I've played through it enough without the mods though. Just kinda done with it.

I know a lot of "Fallout purists" dislike the building part of the game, but to me it's something I absolutely love about it. It's also why I need mods. I like building up defenses around the towns, and then seeing how well they work without me interfering. So, I have to mod it more to add more roaming packs of raiders and shit like that. It's pretty fun though, imo.
I play on XBOX and they have some good mods too. Not as detailed as PC obviously but it's fun to mod up.

I consider myself a Fallout purist but I love the building in the game. Making each settlement your own and unique is fun as hell. I turned Starlight Drive In into a big market. Built wood floors all around a portion of it and put various stores up. It's heavily surrounded by turrets and traps so I don't have to worry about attacks. I generate a good amount of CAPS there and I'm close to the 100% happiness achievement from that settlement.

Nordhagen Beach is my big farm where I planted garden plots all over one side of the beach and filled it with the crops you need for vegetable starch. Then put a cooking station next to it so I can just go crazy on adhesive crafting. Last time I checked I had over 200 adhesive and I craft items often. I also put a beach house right by the water that looks out across the water. Put lobster cages, barrels/nets, and fish buckets around it. I get pretty anal about how my settlements look. Just wait until you see my hangout room dedicated to The Silver Shroud that is built on one of those car port garages in Sanctuary. I extended it out into an enclosed room. I'm always tinkering with additions as I play. Just recently put streetlights all around Sanctuary. I have over 250 power there just off generators and I don't have the Science yet for the biggest generator. Just have a big building I built to house the generators and used pylons and wall connectors. Been messing around with Power Conduits so I can make things look cleaner and hide wires better. Did I mention I'm anal about settlement building?
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Just ordered this game. I'll be a total newb. Any tips to start out?
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:25 pm
minnemike wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:45 pm Just ordered this game. I'll be a total newb. Any tips to start out?
Point gun, shoot Target.
Is it like a post apocalyptic Target? Will it have an optometry store I can loot? I imagine my character might need glasses.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Following.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

minnemike wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:45 pm Just ordered this game. I'll be a total newb. Any tips to start out?
Find Fort Condor.. it's more late game content but can be done earlier on.

My number one tip is finding the Vault just outside Boston.. can't remember the name but they give good quests and it's cool. You can also buy the Overseer's Guardian or Companion.. whatever the name of the gun is. It's a rifle that fires two projectiles at once. You're unstoppable with it and VATS.

#BaltimoreStrong
Herky

Post by Herky »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:28 pm
When you get to Boston don't forget to run up and pet the swan. You'll know it when you see it.
:lol: First thing that should be done in the game for sure.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

My problem with these games is I get so into them and play for hours on end, then I just crash and get bored with them...then many months later, I'll come back, but feel I have to restart and do a whole new character build....

Fallout 3/New Vegas/4...
Oblivion/Skyrim...

I've probably had over 100 characters in all these games combined, and have hundreds of hours played, but haven't beat any of them.

Most recently, I've got a Skyrim character somewhere in the level 50 area. Was having a blast and just beat the Thieves Guild storyline and had started the Dawnguard...and then, holy shit! I got bored as fuck and havent touched it in weeks. Next time I feel like playing, I'll probably hop on that character for like 20 minutes, then realize I'm too OP, and start completely over.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

RIP

#BaltimoreStrong
Herky

Post by Herky »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:58 am RIP

That sucks. Cool dog.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I am thinking about getting this for VR. Anyone else tried it?
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

#BaltimoreStrong
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

LordNu wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:07 pm I am thinking about getting this for VR. Anyone else tried it?
I have it, but I haven't tried it. I gotta delete some shit off my hard drive so I can download it...
I made this!
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

FWIW, comment I saw online...

"Just started the VR version and it’s like discovering FO4 all over again"

#BaltimoreStrong
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Well the Top Golf game is sorta fun.
I made this!
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Been playing a lot of Fallout 4 lately. Still such a great game after all these years.

For having bought it launch night with countless hours and "new games" started, last night for the first time I actually made it to the institute. Always got caught doing side quests I never made it this far. Very exciting. I think I'm going to side with Father and the Institute.

#BaltimoreStrong
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I spent a lot of ammo shooting that annoying prick from the home camp that kept giving the same side mission garbage over and over.
Let's get Tropical
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

jffl_commish wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:03 pm I spent a lot of ammo shooting that annoying prick from the home camp that kept giving the same side mission garbage over and over.
*GASP!*

YOU SOT PRESTON GARVY???!!!! YOU MONSTER!!!!
I made this!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:51 am
jffl_commish wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:03 pm I spent a lot of ammo shooting that annoying prick from the home camp that kept giving the same side mission garbage over and over.
*GASP!*

That I did. So much ammo..... Bastard just wouldn't die.
Let's get Tropical
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:59 am
*GASP!*

I hope you feel terrible.
I made this!
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:52 am

*GASP!*

Terrible that he wouldn't die, yes. Ammo don't grow on trees, ya know.
Let's get Tropical
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:16 am
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:52 am

Terrible that he wouldn't die, yes. Ammo don't grow on trees, ya know.
Well it does if you don't kill GARVY!!!!
I made this!
Herky

Post by Herky »

I think if you do 15 of the side missions they finally stop. Super annoying though.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I finally finished the Fallout 4 main story after all these years. Chose the Institute ending and loved it. Glad I finally made it to the end. Going to replace some DLC now, starting with Far Harbor.

#BaltimoreStrong
Herky

Post by Herky »

Mandatory wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:19 am I finally finished the Fallout 4 main story after all these years. Chose the Institute ending and loved it. Glad I finally made it to the end. Going to replace some DLC now, starting with Far Harbor.
:thumbsup: Lots of people hated the story but I actually didn't mind it.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Herky wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:28 am
Mandatory wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:19 am I finally finished the Fallout 4 main story after all these years. Chose the Institute ending and loved it. Glad I finally made it to the end. Going to replace some DLC now, starting with Far Harbor.
People piss and moan a lot about Fallout and TES games, but then they go out and purchase 3+ copies of each game Bethesda releases. It's pretty fucking dumb. If they really hate the games so much why do they continue to support the company? I guess I've never had a huge issue with the games. Frankly, I don't even mind that they have simplified the RGP elements to a degree by making it easier to figure out where you should go on the HUD, for example. I don't have a lot of time for gaming anymore. Games that leave me walking in circles trying to figure out what to do next don't last long for me these days. Bethesda games work perfectly for me now.
I made this!
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I had the pleasure of visiting Bar Harbor, Maine this last Friday. Also was able to drive through a big chunk of Acadia National Park.

Very little resemblance to Far Harbor in the DLC but I can say it felt a little bit like a spritiual experience. No mirelurks were spotted.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:20 pm
People piss and moan a lot about Fallout and TES games, but then they go out and purchase 3+ copies of each game Bethesda releases. It's pretty fucking dumb. If they really hate the games so much why do they continue to support the company? I guess I've never had a huge issue with the games. Frankly, I don't even mind that they have simplified the RGP elements to a degree by making it easier to figure out where you should go on the HUD, for example. I don't have a lot of time for gaming anymore. Games that leave me walking in circles trying to figure out what to do next don't last long for me these days. Bethesda games work perfectly for me now.
I thought this was your favorite part of gaming. Wandering around checking shit out, finding Ft Condor, and exploring maps.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:09 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:20 pm

I thought this was your favorite part of gaming. Wandering around checking shit out, finding Ft Condor, and exploring maps.
It is and it isn't. When I'm just fucking around, exploring is fun. I prefer it, but after I need a break from that and want to get back into the actual game, I just want to click a quest follow a little marker until I beat the snot out of a bad guy and collect the thing.
I made this!