Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Video game themed message board
Vulcan Vidiot

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

I lost my 2nd horse to a random event.

I rode up on an argument between 4 people. I waited on my horse about 30 feet behind the 4. One of the guys started shooting, and my horse got shot in the head.

I got pissed and killed all 4 guys, but their horses had already ran off after the fighting started. I began to loot the corpses, and try to open a safe, but the Law showed up and I had to defend myself. I ended up killing about 20 cops, after it was all said in done.l, and ended up with one of their horses.

In the end I had a bout of $450 and lost my thoroughbred. I did get my previous dead horse back at the stable, but my thoroughbred still hasn't reapeared.

Love the random stuff.
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Finally picked this up and am waiting for it to install. What should I know as a noob to not F my game up right away?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Save your money to upgrade your camp to get fast travel. I think it's something like 500 needed total.

Loot everything. You gets tons of free ammunition that way as well as items to sell or use (to replenish dead eye, health, etc). I also tend to not sell any items as a few specific ones are needed for quests later on ( off the top of my head I'm not sure which ones). Sometimes NPC's in certain missions will have like 10 dollars on them.

Use Eagle Eye a lot. It'll show you what you can interact with in the vicinity which is very useful as you can easily miss chests and safes.

When you are riding around often you'll hear NPC's that are in some type of assistance. Always go see what's going on. Depending on how you approach the situation you'll always get honor or dishonor. Sometimes the same npc will keep popping up throughout the world and if you keep helping them they'll give you something more than just honor.

Explore! There is so much stuff to do today isn't part of any mission. Lots of random cabins or areas around the world that have rare weapons or outfits
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:04 pm Save your money to upgrade your camp to get fast travel. I think it's something like 500 needed total.

Loot everything. You gets tons of free ammunition that way as well as items to sell or use (to replenish dead eye, health, etc). I also tend to not sell any items as a few specific ones are needed for quests later on ( off the top of my head I'm not sure which ones). Sometimes NPC's in certain missions will have like 10 dollars on them.

Use Eagle Eye a lot. It'll show you what you can interact with in the vicinity which is very useful as you can easily miss chests and safes.

When you are riding around often you'll hear NPC's that are in some type of assistance. Always go see what's going on. Depending on how you approach the situation you'll always get honor or dishonor. Sometimes the same npc will keep popping up throughout the world and if you keep helping them they'll give you something more than just honor.

Explore! There is so much stuff to do today isn't part of any mission. Lots of random cabins or areas around the world that have rare weapons or outfits
These last two points would be my biggest emphasis.

If you are traveling somewhere to take a mission, don't feel like you need to ignore stuff you see or hear.

If you see something that looks cool, it probably looks cool for a reason.

If you hear something out of the ordinary, it's for a reason.

The amount of side content that isnin Rockstar games is enormous, but I've never come across this much in any game I've played.

Almost every cabin has a story tied to it. Usually crazy, or at least interesting.

I got to the 3rd chapter and just started cruising around.

I think I'll finish the 3rd tonight, but I could care less if inplay another 20 hours and don't complete another storyline mission.
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Thanks guys.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Played about an hour last night after not being able to play for a little over a week. Felt good to be back.

My goal for this evening is to find some of the unique knives.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:45 pm
Mandatory wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:22 am Image
That doesn't annoy me nearly as much as when the game automatically replaces my Springfield with a different scoped rifle for the rest of a mission. I know it's not as powerful, but having the ability to choose between using the scope and not using it is fucking priceless. Same issue with my Litchfield repeater. I don't use it's scope often, but when it's not there for me to use, I always find a need for it...
Yeah, I hate that too. Early on it kept spawning me with the .22 varmint rifle. WTF?

I also don't like when it spawns me with two rifles. I like only carrying one rifle at a time.
Last edited by Mandatory on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:48 pm
Mandatory wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:51 am Played about an hour last night after not being able to play for a little over a week. Felt good to be back.

My goal for this evening is to find some of the unique knives.
Have you made it to the epilogue yet? I need someone to catch up to me so I can talk about it without spoiling shit.

Yesterday day I sent a co-worker who just got the game over to the buttrape guy in the swamp. He was unhappy with me this morning.
I'm woefully far behind.. still in Chapter 3. I only last night did the mission where you rob the Valentine bank and go back to collect the debt of that widow.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:06 pm Dammit... I just finished the game... Now I suppose I'll dick around for a while and debate whether or not to replay through RDR1 since it's the sequel.
I believe that once I get to that point it will be long enough that I'll be cool with just starting over. Question, do you get to keep your horses into the epilogue?

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

CC: Abe.. just read a fix about gun changing on you randomly. Go to the gunsmith and when you press customize you can set your loadout and it won’t change.

#BaltimoreStrong
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

If anyone wants to see something incredibly creepy...go explore the house west of Annesburg. It's two stories and you'll have to do some climbing to even get in but you'll be happy.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

At about the end of chapter 4 I just started mainlining missions. The overall arching story is good but man does it absolutely drag at times with too many frivolous missions.

Just made it to the epilogue.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:56 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:32 pm If anyone wants to see something incredibly creepy...go explore the house west of Annesburg. It's two stories and you'll have to do some climbing to even get in but you'll be happy.
Spoiler:
manbearpig?
:thumbsup:

YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Finished the epilogue. A really good game I have some nitpicks about but definitely worth playing. For me it does not rise above Dead Cells or God of War, but probably edges out Monster Hunter World for my top 3 games of the year.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

YBBR wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:02 pm Finished the epilogue. A really good game I have some nitpicks about but definitely worth playing. For me it does not rise above Dead Cells or God of War, but probably edges out Monster Hunter World for my top 3 games of the year.
Are you saying you just liked those other games more or you thought they were legitimately better made/more impressive games?

Additionally, how much are some of you playing to have finished the epilogue? I've played a ton and I'm still in chapter 3. They said the main story takes like 60 hours minimum.

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Mandatory wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:21 pm
YBBR wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:02 pm Finished the epilogue. A really good game I have some nitpicks about but definitely worth playing. For me it does not rise above Dead Cells or God of War, but probably edges out Monster Hunter World for my top 3 games of the year.
Are you saying you just liked those other games more or you thought they were legitimately better made/more impressive games?

Additionally, how much are some of you playing to have finished the epilogue? I've played a ton and I'm still in chapter 3. They said the main story takes like 60 hours minimum.
This game is very impressive technically, systems wise. all that stuff, but is inherently less fun to play than some other games this year. It is probably the most impressive video game feat in a ton of ways on a console. I find it a bit slow and a little dry for me. Just the animations and the combat.

I think God of War has a great marriage of story, combat, exploration, technically etc...that was really impressive as a whole. The studio worked for 5 years on that game and it shows.

Dead Cells is one of the most addicting and tightly controlling games I've ever played. Dude, I think it's a fucking blast and also extremely well made.

A lot of it depends on what you value in your games. I've talked to people who were like Dead Cells is cool but couldn't really get into it, and I think those people are fucking crazy!
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Just did the raid on the Braithwaite Manor. That was freaking awesome.

#BaltimoreStrong
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Mandatory wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:45 pm Just did the raid on the Braithwaite Manor. That was freaking awesome.
Best cinematic moment in the game is riding 10, or so, wide, down the "driveway" with the mansion lit up at the end of the road.

It was a really cool shot.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Vulcan Vidiot wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:17 pm
Mandatory wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:45 pm Just did the raid on the Braithwaite Manor. That was freaking awesome.
Best cinematic moment in the game is riding 10, or so, wide, down the "driveway" with the mansion lit up at the end of the road.

It was a really cool shot.
Yep, put an actual smile on my face.

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Who is your favorite member of the gang? For me it's probably Hosea.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

YBBR wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:13 pm Who is your favorite member of the gang? For me it's probably Hosea.
Probably Charles, Sean then Hosea. I'm still early though and yet to see their story's playout... except for Sean..
:|

#BaltimoreStrong
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:11 pm Just received the game today. Started playing a few hours ago. Definitely like the game so far. I'm very picky with what games I play. This may be the first game of 2018 I bought other than the Shenmue remaster, which is just a HD version of a Dreamcast game.
Oh hell no! I remember Shenmue! They did Shenmue 2 on Xbox back in the day (I think) Where did you find this!!?!??
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hole Nova Level wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:26 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:11 pm Just received the game today. Started playing a few hours ago. Definitely like the game so far. I'm very picky with what games I play. This may be the first game of 2018 I bought other than the Shenmue remaster, which is just a HD version of a Dreamcast game.
Oh hell no! I remember Shenmue! They did Shenmue 2 on Xbox back in the day (I think) Where did you find this!!?!??
Any place that they sell games. Its for ps4 and xbox one.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hole Nova Level

Post by Hole Nova Level »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:37 pm
Hole Nova Level wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:26 pm
Any place that they sell games. Its for ps4 and xbox one.
Man I gotta get back in the loop, good to know, i'll check it out!!! Thanks brah!
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Couple end game spoiler questions I hope someone can answer...
Spoiler:
Do you get to keep anything? Guns, clothes, money? I know you lose your horses but what about everything else. Do you lose your crafted clothing items, holsters and all that? Can you also complete challenges or random encounter missions you might not have finished?

#BaltimoreStrong
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:19 pm Since I had the urge for more missions I decided to restart the original rdr, and then undead nightmare if I still feel up to it. Idk how much better the regular Xbox one makes it look, but if any of you have it and have an Xbox one, I implore you to give it a look. And, if you have an Xbox one x, seriously you have to give this a play through again. It's not even that big of a step back from RDR2, Imo. I really am amazed at how good this game looks. Sorry if I keep saying, it just blows me away considering how old it is.

What system do you play on?

I don't think you've mentioned it before...
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Shenmue is, was, and will always be terrible.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:04 pm Couple end game spoiler questions I hope someone can answer...
Spoiler:
Do you get to keep anything? Guns, clothes, money? I know you lose your horses but what about everything else. Do you lose your crafted clothing items, holsters and all that? Can you also complete challenges or random encounter missions you might not have finished?
Spoiler:
I think you keep everything but money and horses. The challenges and random missions are still there.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

YBBR wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:33 pm
Mandatory wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:04 pm Couple end game spoiler questions I hope someone can answer...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I think you keep everything but money and horses. The challenges and random missions are still there.
Much appreciated. I can live with that.

#BaltimoreStrong