Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Video game themed message board
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:36 am
Mandatory wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 am
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:10 am Is there anyone here who hasn't made it to Saint Denis yet? I have something for you to try, but I don't want to spoil anything for you, so only click the spoiler button if you choose to. It's not a major spoiler, btw.
Spoiler:
I'd try it, but it's going to take a long time for me to play through to reach this point.

So once you get to St Denis, your ex-girlfriend, whatever her name is, has another mission for you. Upon finding her, and doing the mission you have the opportunity to go on a date with her before she leaves. You end up going to a theater and seeing a show. You have a chance in the theater to put your arm around her, but I must have done it at the wrong moment, because it went awkward. Maybe that's just how it's supposed to go, idk... It got me thinking though.

So later in the game I ran across Seth Briars cabin along the river bank around Thieves Landing I believe. It's the place that you find Seth and his Zombie friend in Undead Nightmare. In the fireplace of that cabin is a fertility statue, and I know for a fact that you can get a boat to that shack before getting killed by the invisible sniper before the epilogue. I rowed right by it when I tried getting to New Austin a while back. So, I wonder if you got that statue, and then went on the date, maybe? Let me know if any of you want to try this. If nobody does, I plan to, but it might take me a month or so to get back to that spot in the game.
Funny. where I am in my current save that mission is available. So I need to go to the shack first?
Yes, and it is a bitch, but I really think it's possible. Just remember, the minute you step on shore you have about 30 seconds before the bounty hunters show up. Get in the cabin, get the statue, and get in the boat and the fuck out of there. If I were going to do it, I think I'd get that little steam boat that you can actually drive. I think it's the fastest. Once you get back into Flat Iron Lake, you should be good to go. I'd get to land as soon as you are safe just in case the boat sinks. It's fucking happened to me before, and it pissed me off big time...
What? Where? TELL ME WHAT YOU FUCKING KNOW!
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:41 pm
Cobey wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:27 pm One interesting observation I have had as I worked through this game, which I sort of realized in my 10 hour marathon session I had while hunkering down from the cold....

I seem to have softened up a bit in my old age. Years ago, while I was playing Vice City, I pretty much just went on killing sprees. Constantly gaining some kind of "wanted" level, fleeing from/killing cops, stealing shit, rinse and repeat. Now, I find myself giving money to blind people or war veterans with 1 leg, helping damsels in distress, letting people go if I deem that they deserve it, only shooting or fighting with bad people. Stuff like that. None of this was premeditated, this playthrough was pretty much just me making decisions that I wanted to make.
I was playing a few weeks ago and I was trying to cut through a farm on my horse. Ended up taking out this woman with my horse.. I swear I didn't see her. Anyways, I was immediately wanted for murder and I just felt really bad so I reloaded my last save..
I'm with both of you. I always try playing as a good guy lately where as previously I'd always be the bad guy not giving two shits.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 am
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:10 am Is there anyone here who hasn't made it to Saint Denis yet? I have something for you to try, but I don't want to spoil anything for you, so only click the spoiler button if you choose to. It's not a major spoiler, btw.
Spoiler:
I'd try it, but it's going to take a long time for me to play through to reach this point.

So once you get to St Denis, your ex-girlfriend, whatever her name is, has another mission for you. Upon finding her, and doing the mission you have the opportunity to go on a date with her before she leaves. You end up going to a theater and seeing a show. You have a chance in the theater to put your arm around her, but I must have done it at the wrong moment, because it went awkward. Maybe that's just how it's supposed to go, idk... It got me thinking though.

So later in the game I ran across Seth Briars cabin along the river bank around Thieves Landing I believe. It's the place that you find Seth and his Zombie friend in Undead Nightmare. In the fireplace of that cabin is a fertility statue, and I know for a fact that you can get a boat to that shack before getting killed by the invisible sniper before the epilogue. I rowed right by it when I tried getting to New Austin a while back. So, I wonder if you got that statue, and then went on the date, maybe? Let me know if any of you want to try this. If nobody does, I plan to, but it might take me a month or so to get back to that spot in the game.
Funny. where I am in my current save that mission is available. So I need to go to the shack first?
Yes, and it is a bitch, but I really think it's possible. Just remember, the minute you step on shore you have about 30 seconds before the bounty hunters show up. Get in the cabin, get the statue, and get in the boat and the fuck out of there. If I were going to do it, I think I'd get that little steam boat that you can actually drive. I think it's the fastest. Once you get back into Flat Iron Lake, you should be good to go. I'd get to land as soon as you are safe just in case the boat sinks. It's fucking happened to me before, and it pissed me off big time...
I found a different fertility statue at an old whorehouse, outside the door on a table or in a box below a porch chair. I think it was northwest of Van Horn, south of Annesberg
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:27 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:58 pm

I found a different fertility statue at an old whorehouse, outside the door on a table or in a box below a porch chair. I think it was northwest of Van Horn, south of Annesberg
That would be way easier to get. Might want to try to find that one first, mandy?!
I think u have but not sure. I'll check.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Mandatory wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:32 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:27 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:58 pm

That would be way easier to get. Might want to try to find that one first, mandy?!
I think u have but not sure. I'll check.
Im out of town, otherwise I would check exactly where it is. You could maybe search online for the location of said whorehouse. Its out in the country, not in town. I believe it's between Emerald Ranch, Van Horn, and Annesberg. Its that terrain over there where the trail is steep with sharp curves, west of the coast. There's a little upward trail to the house, off the already upward trail, but it's in plain sight. There might be a sign or some indicator that says its Madame's-something-or-other's house. Once I got that statue, it was a quest item, like the pipe for dutch, etc. Sorry I cant be more help. If nothing else, thats my second favorite area of the game, so it should be happy trails exploring around up there.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

It would be fun to start over and play more of a bad guy roll. Except the part about having to hunt forever to get all the pouch upgrades again.

The last time through I got all of the camp upgrades done too, but I don't think I'd waste the time on those again.
Let's get Tropical
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I started anew last night. Still in prologue. The start of the game is so freaking good.

I never could get my honor past 4/5ths. I wonder if its level locked based on the chapter you're in.

#BaltimoreStrong
Herky

Post by Herky »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:44 am It would be fun to start over and play more of a bad guy roll. Except the part about having to hunt forever to get all the pouch upgrades again.

The last time through I got all of the camp upgrades done too, but I don't think I'd waste the time on those again.
What do you use when you hunt to get perfect pelts? Even if I use a bow I rarely get perfect ones.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Herky wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 am
jffl_commish wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:44 am It would be fun to start over and play more of a bad guy roll. Except the part about having to hunt forever to get all the pouch upgrades again.

What do you use when you hunt to get perfect pelts? Even if I use a bow I rarely get perfect ones.
Headshots, my dude.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Cobey wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:17 am

Headshots, my dude.
You also need to have the right weapon or ammo. There are lists online that will show what works for what.

#BaltimoreStrong
Herky

Post by Herky »

Headshots, my dude.
That's probably my issue sometimes I take two shots to bring the animals down. Is there a good gun to use for this?
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Herky wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:20 am

Headshots, my dude.
That's probably my issue sometimes I take two shots to bring the animals down. Is there a good gun to use for this?
One of the rifles for bigger animals. Varmint rifle for rabbits and shit like that. I haven't figured out what to go with for coyotes, wolves and other "mid-sized" types yet.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Headshots, my dude.
Look at the lists I referenced above. Some animals need more powerful rifles or a more powerful ammo. Springfield rifle I think is best. If it takes more than one shot you're not getting a perfect pelt.

#BaltimoreStrong
Herky

Post by Herky »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:24 am

Headshots, my dude.
Look at the lists I referenced above. Some animals need more powerful rifles or a more powerful ammo. Springfield rifle I think is best. If it takes more than one shot you're not getting a perfect pelt.
I get lots of "good" ones but makes sense.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Bow with small game arrows - Bat, Bullfrog, Chipmunk, Snake, Squirrel, Rat and Toad

Varmint Rifle - Armadillo, Badger, Gila Monster, Iguana, Muskrat, Possum, Rabbit, Raccoon, Skunk

Repeater, Bow with normal arrow - Beaver, Coyote, Fox, Pig

Rifle, Bow with poison arrow - Alligator (Small), Big Horn Ram, Boar, Buck, Cougar, Deer, Goat, Panther, Peccary, Pronghorn, Sheep, Wolf, Turtle

Scoped Rifle (sniper), Bow with improved arrow - Alligator, Bear, Bison, Bull, Cow, Elk, Moose, Ox

And they definitely need to be head or neck shots. I find dead eye works best.

#BaltimoreStrong
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

I do about 95% of my hunting in this game on horseback and with the "spray and pray" method of shooting.

I typically get "poor" quality hides.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Go get the legendary buck, then head to a fence and he'll craft you the buck trinket. That greatly improves your odds of a perfect pelt. Granted, you still need to start with an animal that has a perfect pelt.
Let's get Tropical
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Go get the legendary buck, then head to a fence and he'll craft you the buck trinket. That greatly improves your odds of a perfect pelt. Granted, you still need to start with an animal that has a perfect pelt.
I think it makes your odds 100% as I believe it makes headshots unnecessary.

#BaltimoreStrong
Herky

Post by Herky »

:thumbsup: I need to take a break from the story and hunt. I've got all the good guns you can purchase and upgraded them all and have a lot of money from missions so I can afford to just hunt for awhile.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I just got the "3 perfect rabbit pelts" challenge. That was terrible and not fun at all. I had SO MANY "good" pelts.
(Yeah, I have the buck trinket)
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Also, did anyone else find that house that had a meteor crash through the roof and kill everyone inside?
You can get a meteorite inside the house. I just happened upon it and was like, WTF? Blood and gore everywhere.

It's up north of Annesburg across the river.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

salamander wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:01 pm Also, did anyone else find that house that had a meteor crash through the roof and kill everyone inside?
You can get a meteorite inside the house. I just happened upon it and was like, WTF? Blood and gore everywhere.

I think you can get two meteorites, the other not too far from that house. What to do with them, I have no idea.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:12 pm

I think it makes your odds 100% as I believe it makes headshots unnecessary.
Well, that depends. You still have to 1 shot kill the animal, and use proper weapons. No shotguns on squirrels, that sort of thing.
Let's get Tropical
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:22 pm
salamander wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:01 pm Also, did anyone else find that house that had a meteor crash through the roof and kill everyone inside?

I think you can get two meteorites, the other not too far from that house. What to do with them, I have no idea.
When you look in your inventory it says 2/3 meteorites found but I don't think ANYONE has found #3 yet.
Lampin'
salamander

Post by salamander »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Dam it! Now I have to go back and get that other meteorite.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

I came across a giant crater somewhere with a meteorite. I couldn't tell you where it was...I more or less just stumbled across it randomly.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Cobey wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 am I came across a giant crater somewhere with a meteorite. I couldn't tell you where it was...I more or less just stumbled across it randomly.
That one is kinda in the middle of the map and all the way north IIRC.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I think it's NW of the meteor house a little bit, if I recall correctly.
Let's get Tropical
salamander

Post by salamander »

OK... I hate saying this because I'll probably get jumped on but...

...I feel like this game is preaching to me (not in a religious sense). I didn't think much of it for awhile. Then when I first started to notice it I brushed it off like, "No that's probably nothing, just me being weird." But now it's becoming a lot of circumstantial stuff that's coming off fairly condescending to me. Feels like I'm starting to get hit over the head over and over again by Rockstar preaching to me.

Is it just me?
salamander

Post by salamander »

I've also overlooked the extremely clunky controls but it's starting to grate on my nerves.
They're not realistic. If they're not going to be realistic at least make the game worthy.

I don't buy Bethesda games until at least a year after they've been out anymore and Rockstar just put itself in the same boat.
Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun and it's a good game but I can find great games to play instead.
GTA4, GTA5 and now RDR2. That's three average at best games in a row Rockstar. (They all looked pretty though)