Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Tech Talk

Video game themed message board
EnLiteEndOne

Re: Tech Talk

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

New BT technology on the way allowing multiple devices paired to the same source.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired. ... -audio/amp
Lampin'
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Who has built a budget Plex/media server? Thinking about building one this year.
Lampin'
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:25 pm RT probably has a solid answer:

Looking at a better monitor, current is Asus IPS 27". Was looking for a 32" but then you get into refresh rates above 60 hz, 2k, 4k, etc.

Is it noticeable going from say 1080p at 60hz to 1440p at 144hz?

Side note: Not many wall mountable monitors available.
Just saw this. Looks like you already bought one.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:10 pm Who has built a budget Plex/media server? Thinking about building one this year.
I forgo a media "server" and go with a NAS to hold my ripped media. DNLA is built into most. The biggest issue is the format you rip your media to. I prefer .vob which is the full DVD with menus but that is not supported on many streamers.

The best media streamer ever made was the WD Live TV device. It can stream basically ever single format though support was stopped and it doesn't have all the apps like an apple tv or roku at this point.

NAS -> streamer. No server to mess with, no OS, etc.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:18 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:25 pm RT probably has a solid answer:

Looking at a better monitor, current is Asus IPS 27". Was looking for a 32" but then you get into refresh rates above 60 hz, 2k, 4k, etc.

Is it noticeable going from say 1080p at 60hz to 1440p at 144hz?

Side note: Not many wall mountable monitors available.
Just saw this. Looks like you already bought one.
Yep, loving the 32". It's a cheaper Acer but I think they are all made by LG, Samsung and just rebadged. It has Freesync, and all the goodies so I'm happy.
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

Bought my son a scuf controller. Am I a dummy? He seems to think it will work with his Trump hands better.
-

Got Root?
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:07 pm
Dr. Linux wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:03 pm Bought my son a scuf controller. Am I a dummy? He seems to think it will work with his Trump hands better.
Idk, I dropped $139 or something on an Xbox elite controller last year. It's definitely a nice controller compared to my regular xb1 controllers, but I can't really say it's worth the extra 90-100 bucks for the kinda gaming I do. Not sure on the scuf controllers.
apparently bottom paddles are the shizzle.
-

Got Root?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I spent the last two days doing a SSD install. What a total nightmare. Yes, I have done them before and to the same exact model of machine just a different one. This one wouldn't take. Wouldn't show in bios or achi mode.

Had to mess with registry etc to finally get the fucker recognized. Thought I was finally done and realized the secondary HDD was not picking up now but the SSD was. Fucked around for some more hours and realized I never plugged in the molex cable. :pissed:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:45 pm I spent the last two days doing a SSD install. What a total nightmare. Yes, I have done them before and to the same exact model of machine just a different one. This one wouldn't take. Wouldn't show in bios or achi mode.

Had to mess with registry etc to finally get the fucker recognized. Thought I was finally done and realized the secondary HDD was not picking up now but the SSD was. Fucked around for some more hours and realized I never plugged in the molex cable. :pissed:
Reminds me of the days of having to jumper your stupid drives, master, slave, ide 1 or 2 or 3, CD drive couldn't/shouldn't be on same as master drive, etc, etc.

Simplest shit always gets me too. Forgot to plug in my power cable to my video card last time...WTF WON'T THIS BOOT....oh, nm.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:22 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:45 pm I spent the last two days doing a SSD install. What a total nightmare. Yes, I have done them before and to the same exact model of machine just a different one. This one wouldn't take. Wouldn't show in bios or achi mode.

Reminds me of the days of having to jumper your stupid drives, master, slave, ide 1 or 2 or 3, CD drive couldn't/shouldn't be on same as master drive, etc, etc.

Simplest shit always gets me too. Forgot to plug in my power cable to my video card last time...WTF WON'T THIS BOOT....oh, nm.
I was just going to say fuck a SSD, I don't use this PC much anyway. But when you have a i7 and 16gb of ram and everything is bottlenecked by a slow ass HDD, you almost have to do it.

I slapped in a Samsung 860 Evo and the thing is lighting quick. It really is pointless having a computer with good specs without a SSD.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:23 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:22 pm

I was just going to say fuck a SSD, I don't use this PC much anyway. But when you have a i7 and 16gb of ram and everything is bottlenecked by a slow ass HDD, you almost have to do it.

I slapped in a Samsung 860 Evo and the thing is lighting quick. It really is pointless having a computer with good specs without a SSD.
Yep, spinning disks are painful now.
Herky

Post by Herky »

I need to upgrade my 6 year old gaming computer I built but I work in IT and the last thing I want to do when I get home is mess with a computer. My wife games in it and plays stuff like Civilization, Banished, Minecraft, and Planet Zoo so the need for a better graphics are isn't essential yet. It was a pretty good PC when I built it so it will still play most games on high settings. Ultra is touch and go especially with new games.

I have 30 mods running with the Skyrim Remastered PC edition and my computer sounds like it's going to take off and will crash on occasion if the settings are too high. For now I'll just let my wife game on it and keep things as is. I did buy her a really nice Asus gaming monitor for Christmas.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Herky wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:27 am I need to upgrade my 6 year old gaming computer I built but I work in IT and the last thing I want to do when I get home is mess with a computer. My wife games in it and plays stuff like Civilization, Banished, Minecraft, and Planet Zoo so the need for a better graphics are isn't essential yet. It was a pretty good PC when I built it so it will still play most games on high settings. Ultra is touch and go especially with new games.

I have 30 mods running with the Skyrim Remastered PC edition and my computer sounds like it's going to take off and will crash on occasion if the settings are too high. For now I'll just let my wife game on it and keep things as is. I did buy her a really nice Asus gaming monitor for Christmas.
Yep, it's putting the OS back together that is the hard part, reloading all my games, programs, game add-ins, downloads. Bleh.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:31 pm
Herky wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:27 am I need to upgrade my 6 year old gaming computer I built but I work in IT and the last thing I want to do when I get home is mess with a computer. My wife games in it and plays stuff like Civilization, Banished, Minecraft, and Planet Zoo so the need for a better graphics are isn't essential yet. It was a pretty good PC when I built it so it will still play most games on high settings. Ultra is touch and go especially with new games.

Yep, it's putting the OS back together that is the hard part, reloading all my games, programs, game add-ins, downloads. Bleh.
Still haven't felt the urge to reload all my total war mods on my new system. SUCKS.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

So for various reasons and curiosity, I built a AMD system with their Ryzen 3400G chip which has on-board video. Normally on-board video is ass across the board. This thing is actually quite nice and great for 1080p gaming. Got the chip, motherboard for $190. I'm guessing this thing is basically the same specs as an Xbox or PS4 with more flexibility obviously. Plus if you load up Steam and use big picture mode, it is basically a console without the BS of consoles.

Plus if you run into a game that is just too much for it, you can always slap a video card in it down the road.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:21 am So for various reasons and curiosity, I built a AMD system with their Ryzen 3400G chip which has on-board video. Normally on-board video is ass across the board. This thing is actually quite nice and great for 1080p gaming. Got the chip, motherboard for $190. I'm guessing this thing is basically the same specs as an Xbox or PS4 with more flexibility obviously. Plus if you load up Steam and use big picture mode, it is basically a console without the BS of consoles.

Plus if you run into a game that is just too much for it, you can always slap a video card in it down the road.
Not too bad. It clocks in around a 550 and for Nvidia guys like myself, that's roughly a bit slower than a gtx 1050.

Not shabby at all.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:27 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:21 am So for various reasons and curiosity, I built a AMD system with their Ryzen 3400G chip which has on-board video. Normally on-board video is ass across the board. This thing is actually quite nice and great for 1080p gaming. Got the chip, motherboard for $190. I'm guessing this thing is basically the same specs as an Xbox or PS4 with more flexibility obviously. Plus if you load up Steam and use big picture mode, it is basically a console without the BS of consoles.

Not too bad. It clocks in around a 550 and for Nvidia guys like myself, that's roughly a bit slower than a gtx 1050.

Not shabby at all.
Yep, it works pretty decent. Not going to play some FPS on 4k ultra settings but I don't nor the kid I'm giving it to either.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Anyone have a HD projector that they've used outside? Any tips or recommendations?

I have a large projector screen I scavenged from grandma's house, was thinking backyard, summer, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

TIA.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Audio on my PC bit the dust. I think it happened when I was trying to throw a GTX 1050 TI in there and it was so heavy it must've severed a connection.

So I am saving the box, power supply and throwing in an all new system.

Ryzen 5 3600X, high end m.2 SSD and 3733mHz ram to go on a mid range x470 motherboard along with the grpahics card I mentioned. I see some mention of the onboard graphics being really good but oh well, I already had the card.

Last PC build was an I5 in 2010 and cant even run alot of games on it today without dx12, lol, so this should kick some serious ass as an upgrade for me. Wish me luck - it all comes this weekend. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

minnemike wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 pm Audio on my PC bit the dust. I think it happened when I was trying to throw a GTX 1050 TI in there and it was so heavy it must've severed a connection.

Ryzen 5 3600X, high end m.2 SSD and 3733mHz ram to go on a mid range x470 motherboard along with the grpahics card I mentioned. I see some mention of the onboard graphics being really good but oh well, I already had the card.

Last PC build was an I5 in 2010 and cant even run alot of games on it today without dx12, lol, so this should kick some serious ass as an upgrade for me. Wish me luck - it all comes this weekend. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Get this baby built?

The onboard I was mentioning was very good considering past onboard performance, your card would probably wipe it out.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:09 am
minnemike wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 pm Audio on my PC bit the dust. I think it happened when I was trying to throw a GTX 1050 TI in there and it was so heavy it must've severed a connection.

Get this baby built?

The onboard I was mentioning was very good considering past onboard performance, your card would probably wipe it out.
I read something on that. My card turns out is just a little bit better than the onboard. Apparently the onboard with these processors kicks some serious ass.

I thought my existing box would fit a reg ATX, but it doesnt! So I'm waiting for a new box to come now. :(
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

minnemike wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:31 am

Get this baby built?

I read something on that. My card turns out is just a little bit better than the onboard. Apparently the onboard with these processors kicks some serious ass.

I thought my existing box would fit a reg ATX, but it doesnt! So I'm waiting for a new box to come now. :(
Ha, sounds like me. I always forget something stupid like power supplies 6-7 years ago didn't have the proper 8-pin power rail for the board, just 4-pin. Just ran into that when building this last one trying to re-use parts. :gun:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

How was a gtx 1050 ti heavy? It's a small card.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:44 pm

How was a gtx 1050 ti heavy? It's a small card.
It's a dual fan version with a large heatsink - MSI GeForce 4GB GTX 1050 TI GAMING X 4G. Those fans rarely come on unless really pushing it due to the monster heatsink. Old motherboard in a vertical orientation couldnt handle it (plastic pci slot too). That's why newer gaming MBs are built with metal slots. They have post braces for cards sitting sideways like that which I might want to use in my new build
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Those m.2 SSD's are pretty amazing. Not sure of the longevity but size, heat and performance is insane. Not really better in the real world for our uses than a normal SSD but cool none the less.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Moses Scurry wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:44 am

Get this baby built?

Ha, sounds like me. I always forget something stupid like power supplies 6-7 years ago didn't have the proper 8-pin power rail for the board, just 4-pin. Just ran into that when building this last one trying to re-use parts. :gun:
Finally have a good working system now after a few weeks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, finally got a full size atx box but then my card would not work on this MB. I took the card to a friends to see and it worked fine. CPU has no onboard graphics (3600X) :punch: :gun: :doublefinger: , so I jsut had too much of AMD and swapped out CPU and MB for Intel i5-8600K which is a good overclocking CPU, for intel. Also added a really nice Noctua air cooler. Purs like a kitten now. Just starting to install some games and we'll see about frame rates to go along with my 4K monitor. Not expecting much with this GPU, but everything else should help.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

minnemike wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:55 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:44 am

Finally have a good working system now after a few weeks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, finally got a full size atx box but then my card would not work on this MB. I took the card to a friends to see and it worked fine. CPU has no onboard graphics (3600X) :punch: :gun: :doublefinger: , so I jsut had too much of AMD and swapped out CPU and MB for Intel i5-8600K which is a good overclocking CPU, for intel. Also added a really nice Noctua air cooler. Purs like a kitten now. Just starting to install some games and we'll see about frame rates to go along with my 4K monitor. Not expecting much with this GPU, but everything else should help.
Intel and Nvidia FTW!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

Anyone else have an Oculus Rift S? I'm at my wits end trying to get this thing setup.

I get to the Setup in VR screen and then it's just a black screen. I've done every single trick people online have suggested. Plug, unplug all wires from all ports, run the repair, uninstall/reinstall, etc. etc. etc. I know for a fact my PC has all the hard components needed. The PC I'm installing this on is less than 6 months old and is so far above and beyond what Oculus needs to work (because of other programs I need, this PC is extremely powerful).

I'm pretty fucking pissed off at the run around I'm getting from oculus support right now. To tell you the truth, buy a different product. I do NOT recommend Oculus brand anything at this point.

EDIT: Figured it out.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Just built a Raspberry pi and built a Steam link for those who would like trying streaming games from your PC to your big ass TV (1080p, I think you can up that but not sure)

Required:
- Raspberry pi 3/4 $30-70 depending on model and memory.
- Case with fan, Micro Connectors Aluminum Raspberry Pi Case with Fan - Black - 24.99
- Micro SD card 32 GB - $9
- USB to SD card adapter (so you can load OS and software) - $10
- https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/op ... -os-32-bit

Wireless probably won't work for most unless it's sitting really close and you get a really good signal.

I refuse to ever buy a console so this is the alternative.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:36 am Anyone have a HD projector that they've used outside? Any tips or recommendations?

I have a large projector screen I scavenged from grandma's house, was thinking backyard, summer, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

TIA.
Not sure what your looking to spend, but I'm on my 2nd Optoma projector and loved them both. My first one, got it maybe 7 years ago, was a hd projector that would have been great outside. The one I'm on now is a 4k hdr projector that I absolutely love. Really good mid range projector