Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Tech Talk

Video game themed message board
Moses Scurry

***Official Tech Chat and Advice***

Post by Moses Scurry »

Between me and SRT, I think we can handle this bitch.

I'll start:
Hi Moses, first time, long time. I have a AMD Ryzen 1600. Amd just brought out the third generation Ryzens. Should I upgrade?

Excellent question Moses. In short, yes. The 3700X (best performance/value) with included heatsink and fan runs $329 currently. This would be all the processor you would need for a number of years. Any bottleneck gaming wise would be your GPU or memory clock.
YBBR

Re: ***Official Tech Chat and Advice***

Post by YBBR »

I can't take any of your tech advice until you beat Sekiro. Them's the rules.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 pm Between me and SRT, I think we can handle this bitch.

I'll start:
Hi Moses, first time, long time. I have a AMD Ryzen 1600. Amd just brought out the third generation Ryzens. Should I upgrade?

Excellent question Moses. In short, yes. The 3700X (best performance/value) with included heatsink and fan runs $329 currently. This would be all the processor you would need for a number of years. Any bottleneck gaming wise would be your GPU or memory clock.
The i7 9700K outperforms it and is about the same price. Does your motherboard not support it?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:24 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 pm Between me and SRT, I think we can handle this bitch.

I'll start:

The i7 9700K outperforms it and is about the same price. Does your motherboard not support it?
About the same performance but...Ryzen comes with 16 threads vs. 8 threads and PCI 4.0 with X570 MB's, but is also backwards compatible with most AM4 motherboards. If you upgrade Intel chips, you most likely need to upgrade the MB. Plus performance should increase some with driver and game optimization. Plus you're not supporting Intel.

Obviously my motherboard would not support an Intel chip as they are different sockets.

YBBR, get me some time away from work, GF, the dog, yard work and house maintenance and I'll get on beating Sekiro asap! :cry:
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Hi Moses Scurry.. my name is Mandatory and I have an old N64, Super Nintendo, original Gameboy and assorted games for each that I recently pulled out of storage. Do you think that I could get any value out of these at sale? Any advice on where/how I could offload them?
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:04 am Hi Moses Scurry.. my name is Mandatory and I have an old N64, Super Nintendo, original Gameboy and assorted games for each that I recently pulled out of storage. Do you think that I could get any value out of these at sale? Any advice on where/how I could offload them?
Thanks for taking the time and visiting our meager thread.

The obvious answer is to peruse ebay and look at going rates based on condition. But with ebay comes seller fee's, shipping, and dealing with ebay in general. Another similar option is https://www.decluttr.com/how-it-works/. A final option is to use the following site, though it's run by a schetchy degenerate: http://forum.mnrubecentral.com/viewforum.php?f=53

The real question is: Would you ever play them again? If they are not taking up too much room, why not keep them in storage and pull them out when friends, family, kids come over? I know it's a big hit at my house when I pull out the Sega Genesis.

As far as pricing, they look to have taken a hit since the re-issues of the Genesis, SNES, etc. I don't think it would even be worth the time to sell them unless you have a very unique game or they are in mint condition.

Maybe SRT has some thoughts.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:04 am Hi Moses Scurry.. my name is Mandatory and I have an old N64, Super Nintendo, original Gameboy and assorted games for each that I recently pulled out of storage. Do you think that I could get any value out of these at sale? Any advice on where/how I could offload them?
Go to ebay and see what they go for. It depends on the condition, if they are c o complete etc..

You should be able to pull at least a hundred dollars or so.

Like Moses said, Games depend on the ones you have, if they are complete in box etc.

Give them a lookup.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

The only game I remember owning that was worth any money was Final Fantasy Tactics. It was a short print I believe and gained popularity after its release. A used copy was worth 150 bucks at one point. Then they put it out on PlayStation hits and it was probably worth a lot less after that.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

YBBR wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:28 pm The only game I remember owning that was worth any money was Final Fantasy Tactics. It was a short print I believe and gained popularity after its release. A used copy was worth 150 bucks at one point. Then they put it out on PlayStation hits and it was probably worth a lot less after that.
I bought a Chrono Trigger SNES cartridge for $97 in 2013. I still play that fucker. I lucked out and bought the original Breath of Fire SNES cartridge I rented years prior when the video game store was selling their Genesis and SNES stock after N64 and Playstation dominated the market.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:24 pm I picked up a mint version of Panzer Dragoon Saga along with Shining Force 3D and another US version Saturn game for $249 way back in like 2004 or 05. It was a little less than what Panzer Dragoon Saga was going for alone on eBay, so getting the 3 games together was a steal.

Anyway, I've seen similar quality versions of PDS go for over $1000 since then. Shining Force 3d for as much as $500.

I honestly didn't buy them as an investment or anything. I just wanted to play what was regarded as one of the best jrpg's ever made. Unfortunately, while I can get why it was so good back in the day, it just didn't age well enough to grip me. I think I could get into if I for some reason we're trapped somewhere with nothing more than a Saturn and these games to occupy my time. Outside of that... I'm probably just going to o have to watch a speed run and story summary on YouTube if I ever care enough.
Ditto. I would never sell it. I just like the idea of knowing I have a real physical copy . Plus, when it first came out, I remember seeing it (CT) new at the GameStop in Rapid in the mall at a similar price which was weird to me. A $95 video game in 1996 or whatever. Wow.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Whachu got with that N64?

Interested froob here.
Lampin'
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:16 pm

Interested froob here.
Take it to Classifieds Chat, Spaz

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

EnLiteEndOne wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:16 pm

Interested froob here.
I don't have any of the original game boxes but I've got Madden 64, Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Tony Hawk Pro Skater.. and I can't really remember anything else. I think the system needs a little work though, the controller one port needs cleaning or a replacement. Everything runs fine otherwise.

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I just wanted to say fuck the N64 controller. Nintendo was high on Japanese crack when they came up with that one.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I need help!!!!

I have never owned a bluray player. I bought the Twin Peaks ultimate box set on bluray.

Now is it worth getting a dedicated high end blu ray player? Or as my co-worker suggested, just get a playstation 4.

PS4 blu ray just as good as any dedicated blu ray player?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:43 am I need help!!!!

I have never owned a bluray player. I bought the Twin Peaks ultimate box set on bluray.

Now is it worth getting a dedicated high end blu ray player? Or as my co-worker suggested, just get a playstation 4.

You can buy decent blu ray players like the cheap Sony models for 40 bucks. Why buy a PS4?

Are you talking 4K or a standard blu ray player?

If 4K, only Xbox offers that and it's probably the best deal.

Normal blu ray players are dirt cheap like dvd players. If you don't need a PS4, it's costing you a lot more.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:03 pm

You can buy decent blu ray players like the cheap Sony models for 40 bucks. Why buy a PS4?

Normal blu ray players are dirt cheap like dvd players. If you don't need a PS4, it's costing you a lot more.
Ok, so standard blu ray isn't 4k? I've been streaming for 10 years, haven't paid much attention to this stuff.

Internets to the rescue: https://www.videosolo.com/tutorials/dvd ... vs-4k.html
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:30 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:03 pm

Ok, so standard blu ray isn't 4k? I've been streaming for 10 years, haven't paid much attention to this stuff.

Internets to the rescue: https://www.videosolo.com/tutorials/dvd ... vs-4k.html
No. The discs are completely different as well. Is your Twin Peaks a regular blu ray or a 4K blu ray?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

A 4K Blu ray player can play both types of discs. Standard 1080p blu ray player can not.

I don't own either. Discs are on the way out. Even Sony who owns Blu Ray, didn't include a 4K player in their console. They see the writing on the wall.

Standard blu rays can be had for dirt cheap and almost every movie possible in on the format. It's the standard now like Dvds were. Cheap bins at Wal mart etc..

4K discs are kind of just getting going and truthfully, I think it will be dead before gets even near where regular blu rays are today.

If you really don't care, I would just buy a cheap standard Blu Ray player and not invest in a 4K unit.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Abe is not nice.
Moses Scurry

Re: Tech Talk

Post by Moses Scurry »

I will not be answering this here.

Maybe here...http://forum.mnrubecentral.com/viewtopi ... =7&t=26167
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:39 pm I'm just making a sticky thread here for now because I don't really think this needs it's own forum. Gamers seem to be more tech savvy than a lot of other groups of people, so this might be a good thread to get some tech questions answered from the tech conscious rube collective. If it works out, I'll make a forum. :thumbsup:
Like Scurvy said.. We already have this thread.

Also, yes you can use a RT Surface for a second monitor.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:01 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:20 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:39 pm I'm just making a sticky thread here for now because I don't really think this needs it's own forum. Gamers seem to be more tech savvy than a lot of other groups of people, so this might be a good thread to get some tech questions answered from the tech conscious rube collective. If it works out, I'll make a forum. :thumbsup:
Like Scurvy said.. We already have this thread.

Also, yes you can use a RT Surface for a second monitor.
Any of you have a short version on how? I don't want to be a pain in the ass about it, but everything I've found so far is for the Surface pro models and it's a wireless method. That just doesn't work worth a shit on this in my experience.
Download the app on your windows rt called "SplashTop"

Download same app on PC you are using it with also.

When both systems have it installed it will be mirrored. To make it extended press tye windows button with P and mark the extension option.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:19 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:11 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:01 pm
Any of you have a short version on how? I don't want to be a pain in the ass about it, but everything I've found so far is for the Surface pro models and it's a wireless method. That just doesn't work worth a shit on this in my experience.
Download the app on your windows rt called "SplashTop"

Download same app on PC you are using it with also.

When both systems have it installed it will be mirrored. To make it extended press tye windows button with P and mark the extension option.
Too much lag. I tried that method. At least I'm pretty sure it was the splash top thing. I'm hoping to find a method of doing this that uses the USB.
What are you trying to do with it?

I don't think there is any other way.

If you are trying to game with it than I can see why that wouldn't be good but why are you trying to game on such a small screen?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

No, you can't do it. As RT said, screen mirroring or nothing else. Easier just to buy a cheap monitor though i know that's not what you want to do.

Abe, stop hoarding, get rid of some shit. Donate the thing to some poor people or a kid that could use it for school.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

So I could not get Dolby Digital running from my Roku Ultra through my TV to my receiver. Weeks f-ing with everything, nothing works.

The sound leveling option disables Dolby.

son of a @#$%^&*()_(*&^%$##$%^&*!@#$%^&!
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

RT probably has a solid answer:

Looking at a better monitor, current is Asus IPS 27". Was looking for a 32" but then you get into refresh rates above 60 hz, 2k, 4k, etc.

Is it noticeable going from say 1080p at 60hz to 1440p at 144hz?

Side note: Not many wall mountable monitors available.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Just got a 32" 2k IPS monitor for $229. Quit a bit more real estate than my 27" monitor. Wall mounted too. So much desk real estate now...

Looked at 4k but that resolution might be too damn small.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I have a Sony Bravia Android TV in my living room. It was Bluetooth Capability. For some reason I can't get it to connect or even "detect" another bluetooh device other than my phone. I want to hook headphones up to it.. but nothing seems to work.

Advice?

#BaltimoreStrong
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:28 pm I have a Sony Bravia Android TV in my living room. It was Bluetooth Capability. For some reason I can't get it to connect or even "detect" another bluetooh device other than my phone. I want to hook headphones up to it.. but nothing seems to work.

Advice?
I know on my phone for example, I have to click something like, "Make this device discoverable". Maybe look for that on either the TV or other devices you are trying to sync.

Also, maybe your TV can only have one Bluetooth connection. Be sure to disconnect your phone then try to sync another device.