Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Raspberry Pi 4 just launched

Video game themed message board
YBBR

Raspberry Pi 4 just launched

Post by YBBR »

I've got a Pi 3 B+ but I've heard the Pi 4 is really quite a step up. Approx. 3 times faster for the same low price of $35.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 just launched

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:39 pm I've got a Pi 3 B+ but I've heard the Pi 4 is really quite a step up. Approx. 3 times faster for the same low price of $35.
Bloody hell!

You thinking of upgrading?
shatminster fuller

Post by shatminster fuller »

Faster, but to do what? I've got a very old model (can't remember which exactly), which I only use for games (RetroPi). Works great for that, but would have problems with anything video. I have a 3B+ also, which I was using for Kodi, but now I've put that on my Amazon Fire, so it's in mothballs. I do have an always-on home server, used for file server, personal web server (just for myself), zoneminder and mythtv. I've sometimes thought about moving that to my 3B+. I think it would run those fine. Only real reason would be the energy savings, and I don't think it would be much (although I really don't know how much power the current server consumes). If that dies, I'll get whatever the current Pi is and replace it with that.
Salut les Terriens!
La culture domine tout, elle est la condition sine qua non de notre civilisation…
shatminster fuller

Post by shatminster fuller »

Was curious, so I checked out the power consumption on my current server vs. the raspberry pi. Looks like I'd save about $15-20 per year by migrating to the Pi. Didn't dig tooooo much into it, but I'll go with that. I don't turn up my nose at $20/yr. Would actually be interested in doing this, if I had more time. Would pay itself back in a few years, but I'll probably just stick with what I have for now. If I get fired, I might switch.
Salut les Terriens!
La culture domine tout, elle est la condition sine qua non de notre civilisation…