Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Square is hitting me in the feels...and it feels bad.

Video game themed message board
YBBR

Square is hitting me in the feels...and it feels bad.

Post by YBBR »

I really enjoy FF7. It was a great game at the time and very ambitious. Seeing the remake...the feels come creeping back. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Hello nostalgia, my old friend.

The bad part is that they are breaking it up in multiple games and still charging 60 bucks a pop. That makes me feel bad. Especially with them scrapping whoever was doing the second part...blah.

I know they have expanded on the Midgard segment a ton, which is actually pretty great because it was such an interesting part of the story and a great setting.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Moses Scurry

Re: Square is hitting me in the feels...and it feels bad.

Post by Moses Scurry »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 pm I really enjoy FF7. It was a great game at the time and very ambitious. Seeing the remake...the feels come creeping back. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Hello nostalgia, my old friend.

The bad part is that they are breaking it up in multiple games and still charging 60 bucks a pop. That makes me feel bad. Especially with them scrapping whoever was doing the second part...blah.

I know they have expanded on the Midgard segment a ton, which is actually pretty great because it was such an interesting part of the story and a great setting.
Their last comment I read some place makes it sound like they may never complete this and we could be stuck with just the Midgar section.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:43 am
YBBR wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 pm I really enjoy FF7. It was a great game at the time and very ambitious. Seeing the remake...the feels come creeping back. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Hello nostalgia, my old friend.

Their last comment I read some place makes it sound like they may never complete this and we could be stuck with just the Midgar section.
I fear that too. You think Midgar would be the hardest part because of the design of the city. How many studios did they break this game out in? 3? 4? What if part 3 is done before part 2? Do you just sit on it?

It's very strange. Especially to charge people on this unfinished game.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Fuck it, I'm going to install it today. Been 3-4 years since I last played it. Where's my CD's!!!!!!!!
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Only ever played FFVIII. Get back to me when they remake that.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 pm Only ever played FFVIII. Get back to me when they remake that.
They are remastering VIiI. Announced that at their conference. I just find that batch of characters not very likeable or relatable. There were a few...Rinoa.....uhhh.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

YBBR wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:36 pm
Mandatory wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 pm Only ever played FFVIII. Get back to me when they remake that.
They are remastering VIiI. Announced that at their conference. I just find that batch of characters not very likeable or relatable. There were a few...Rinoa.....uhhh.
WHAT?! NOW YOU'VE GOT MY ATTENTION.

I understand that it might not be the best, it's just the only real exposure I ever had with the series.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 pm
YBBR wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:36 pm
WHAT?! NOW YOU'VE GOT MY ATTENTION.

I understand that it might not be the best, it's just the only real exposure I ever had with the series.
6 and 7 are excellent. I ended up liking 8 in the long run. 9 I only played once and I remember really liking the early stuff but thought it went off the rails a bit towards the end. 10 is really good aside from the twist which sucks.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

11 was online. 12 was a super late PS2 game, I passed. 13 has like 3 games, passed. 14 is online, but I hear is actually really good. Dont have time to play an MMO though. 15 had missing parts right out the gate, passed.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

They aren't releasing a full FF7??? What??

Chrono Trigger still better in my opinion.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 pm They aren't releasing a full FF7??? What??

No, it's episodic. But there is zero update on the other parts other than they scrapped who was working on the second part like 6 months ago. So what're you looking at 18 months out for part 2? And that's generous. They got the engine and all that stuff but they need to render assets from scratch.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:03 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 pm They aren't releasing a full FF7??? What??

No, it's episodic. But there is zero update on the other parts other than they scrapped who was working on the second part like 6 months ago. So what're you looking at 18 months out for part 2? And that's generous. They got the engine and all that stuff but they need to render assets from scratch.
That's pretty poor form. I didn't realise this was the case. I am astounded they are doing it like that, because it seems like you aren't even getting a game.

All these other remasters or remakes are fulls game (Ni no kuni, Trials of Mana etc.)
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:42 pm
YBBR wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:03 pm

That's pretty poor form. I didn't realise this was the case. I am astounded they are doing it like that, because it seems like you aren't even getting a game.

All these other remasters or remakes are fulls game (Ni no kuni, Trials of Mana etc.)
I mean the business side knows how well regarded this game still is. They ain't leaving ANY money on the table. Especially with how long this has been in development and for how long they've been kicking this around.

This edition right here: Deluxe Version Game, Steel Case, 3 Summon Materia, Art Book, Soundtrack, Cloud and Motorcycle...$330.

Fuck that shit. That is obscene.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

You think this is any different?

YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Probably price point. $330 is crazy talk. I don't get all these special deluxe editions for anything. I'd would rather pay a bump up to $70 than publishers trying to trick me with 5 different editions. Or to nickel and dime me with microtransactions to no end.
Tommy_Hawk 2.0

Post by Tommy_Hawk 2.0 »

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised all those "Sephiroth" handles of the early 00's you'd see all over the internet all kind of went away eventually.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Tommy_Hawk 2.0 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:51 am Honestly, I'm kind of surprised all those "Sephiroth" handles of the early 00's you'd see all over the internet all kind of went away eventually.
Haha, I lol'd.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Installed the original Saturday. I honestly hate how long I have to be in Midgar. The game doesn't get good until you leave.

Gotta go and install some of those mod that can make the original HD. Hope it's not too much of a pain.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

This is great.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 pm
This is great.
From a Netflix sketch show called "I think you should leave". Some is very funny, some is a bit tedious. Worth trying out.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:48 am
Why do they all talk like The Alaskan Bush People?
Write them a fan mail and find out!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:15 pm Fan.... Mail?
Lel :shrug:
salamander

Post by salamander »

It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.