Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

RAM question, hopefully someone sees this and can help out

Video game themed message board
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: RAM question, hopefully someone sees this and can help out

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:21 pm Within the next hour or so.

So, I picked up 32 GB ddr4 2666MHz to throw into my PC. It arrived today and I'm probably going to install it in a little bit.

Currently I only have 8GB RAM. I'm pretty sure it's on two sticks. I have 4 RAM slots.

Question 1:. Do I need to get rid of the 8 GB that I currently have? Seems like a waste if I can just use all 4 slots and have 40 GB total.

Question 2: Do I just plug it in and expect it to work or is there something I need to do with the settings, BOIS, or some kind of software I need to worry about. I would imagine there is something in settings.

I'm running Windows 10.

I'm going to continue to peruse the internet while I wait to see what you all have to say.
It depends if you have enough ram slots. If you do, you don't need to take out the 8gb of ram.

Nobody knows if you need a bios update etc... Just put the ram in and see what happens. If you need help once you have it in, let me know.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:58 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:16 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:21 pm Within the next hour or so.

So, I picked up 32 GB ddr4 2666MHz to throw into my PC. It arrived today and I'm probably going to install it in a little bit.

Currently I only have 8GB RAM. I'm pretty sure it's on two sticks. I have 4 RAM slots.

Question 1:. Do I need to get rid of the 8 GB that I currently have? Seems like a waste if I can just use all 4 slots and have 40 GB total.

Question 2: Do I just plug it in and expect it to work or is there something I need to do with the settings, BOIS, or some kind of software I need to worry about. I would imagine there is something in settings.

I'm running Windows 10.

I'm going to continue to peruse the internet while I wait to see what you all have to say.
It depends if you have enough ram slots. If you do, you don't need to take out the 8gb of ram.

Nobody knows if you need a bios update etc... Just put the ram in and see what happens. If you need help once you have it in, let me know.
Cool, thanks. I'm about to embark on this journey in an hour or so.
Make sure to do it with a case of beer in you first. :thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Every time I've upgraded Ram I plugged it in and it works. As long as your board supports the format of it. It's usually good to go.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

:thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Everything I've read, unless you're doing some intensive stuff or running vm's, 32 gb of memory is a waste on a PC. Nothing games wise knows how to use that much.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:40 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:01 pm Everything I've read, unless you're doing some intensive stuff or running vm's, 32 gb of memory is a waste on a PC. Nothing games wise knows how to use that much.
It was unnecessary, but I had a little Amazon credit to use so it didn't cost too much more and who knows maybe it will future proof my system a little.

I will say I'm pretty impressed with how smoothly my system seems to be running now. Before this I just had 8 gb. I added the 32 I got and kept the 8 so now I've got 40 GB. I tried Witcher 3 last night just to compare and I'm able to run everything on ultra with now screen tearing or stuttering. It was totally playable with just 8, but it had some issues. This seemed to fix all of them.

My next investment will be a 1 or 2 TB M.2 SSD. I have 500 GB SATA SSD and a 3 TB external SSD but the external is slow and the internal is full. M.2 would be faster than either of them and 1-2TBs should be pretty of extra space.
Yep, 16 was all you really needed but might as well if you had some cash to burn.

SSD drives are the greatest performance boost in recent memory. I was using an old 2 core AMD Athlon a couple years ago and threw in a solid state drive, gave me a couple more years of decent performance.

Basically anyone that can build a PC with 16 GB, SSD with a 6+ core AMD or Intel processor basically has a super computer.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

The hemispherical engine is mostly a marketing gimmick.

I hope this helps.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Just note:

"Finding an M.2 drive that will fit your motherboard can be a bit difficult if you’re not familiar with computer hardware.

M.2 drives come with so many complications, we thought we'd list them out:

M.2 connectors only support certain ‘keys’, so can only connect to connectors with the same keying.
Not all M.2 drives and connection points will support NVME, the faster data transfer protocol.
You might need to switch your M.2 drive to PICe mode in your computer BIOS.
M.2 drives that use the SATA connection may reduce overall computer performance.
Before you’ll buy, you’ll need to check that your motherboard supports M.2 and explore your connection options and necessary setup steps."
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

My next upgrade will be either a AMD 2600x or 2700x, maybe a m.2 drive and then gonna wait for the new AMD 3080 graphics card to come out. My machine will last me a decade with those upgrades.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:42 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:46 pm My next upgrade will be either a AMD 2600x or 2700x, maybe a m.2 drive and then gonna wait for the new AMD 3080 graphics card to come out. My machine will last me a decade with those upgrades.
Haha, I've already started looking into what sort of GPU's are on the horizon, but the stupid thing about that is that I probably should upgrade my processor around the same time if I'm going to really make use of a better GPU.

Right now I have a Ryzen 5, 2600, and a RX 580 4gb GPU. I know there are better CPU's and GPU's on the market, but seriously what is the point if I'm already able to run everything I've tried on High or Ultra settings? I need to find a game that is going to really work my PC over. I thought Witcher 3 would, but it didn't. I already have pretty much every game that they say will push your PC on PS4 or XB1, so I'm struggling to rebuy anything unless I absolutely love it.
There is no point. The PS4 and Xbox one have the equivalent to a netbook processor and a gtx 750 and 760.

That was shit when those systems were even released. Games are built for consoles since that's where they sell large #'s at.

Moses has the right approach. You should only buy PC parts when you absolutely need them. You are going to do what i did and constantly upgrade shit until you have thousands of dollars buried into that computer. Then a year later, another GPU is going to come out that is twice as powerful for the same price and you will want that and haven't even used the last one fully that you bought.

It's a HUGE waste of money going that route. I did the same though. I fucked with parts more than I actually used it. I had a serious problem with always having to upgrade. :D
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:07 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:03 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Haha, I've already started looking into what sort of GPU's are on the horizon, but the stupid thing about that is that I probably should upgrade my processor around the same time if I'm going to really make use of a better GPU.

Right now I have a Ryzen 5, 2600, and a RX 580 4gb GPU. I know there are better CPU's and GPU's on the market, but seriously what is the point if I'm already able to run everything I've tried on High or Ultra settings? I need to find a game that is going to really work my PC over. I thought Witcher 3 would, but it didn't. I already have pretty much every game that they say will push your PC on PS4 or XB1, so I'm struggling to rebuy anything unless I absolutely love it.
There is no point. The PS4 and Xbox one have the equivalent to a netbook processor and a gtx 750 and 760.

That was shit when those systems were even released. Games are built for consoles since that's where they sell large #'s at.

Moses has the right approach. You should only buy PC parts when you absolutely need them. You are going to do what i did and constantly upgrade shit until you have thousands of dollars buried into that computer. Then a year later, another GPU is going to come out that is twice as powerful for the same price and you will want that and haven't even used the last one fully that you bought.

It's a HUGE waste of money going that route. I did the same though. I fucked with parts more than I actually used it. I had a serious problem with always having to upgrade. :D
Yeah, hopefully I end up following my usual routine with my obsessions. I normally dive head first into shit spend whatever it takes, time... money... effort.... until eventually something frustrates me too much or my attention shifts to something else. Then I basically stop doing the thing I was obsessing over almost completely. An excellent example of this would be this website I built two years ago that hasn't been updated since Jimmy Butler was traded for.... :shocked:
You sound a lot like me. OCD is a bitch. :gun:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I've been making myself sell shit before I buy new gear. Down to 5 guitars. Figure get down to 3 at some point.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Yep, did that for a couple of them in my office.