Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Days Gone

Video game themed message board
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Days Gone

Post by Mandatory »

Releases tomorrow finally. PS4 exclusive. Looks like a massive open world zombie game. Looks pretty sweet.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Re: Days Gone

Post by YBBR »

Reviews are not very positive on this one. Doesn't sound too appealing. Sony's last 3 exclusives (Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Marvel's Spider-Man) were varying shades of great.

Sounds like this one is a big miss however.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

YBBR wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:49 pm Reviews are not very positive on this one. Doesn't sound too appealing. Sony's last 3 exclusives (Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Marvel's Spider-Man) were varying shades of great.

Sounds like this one is a big miss however.
You are correct, reviews aren't positive. However, the one thing it seems to be getting knocked for is the lack of innovation. As if they've just taken the formula from other successful games and repackaged it into a zombie/survival game in Oregon. I like what works, so i don't mind. I wonder if the reviews are fair to what's fun or if it's being judged purely on it's lack of innovation.

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Wat hed the Giant Bomb quick look and it looked not bad. I guess its getting dinged for being a bit too repetitive overall. Whixh you can see a bit when you watch the footage.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Sony's exclusives go on sale pretty damn quick after launch. I'd wait for then if you're still interested in diving in.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:47 am I'll probably get it after I've seen a few gameplay videos and read some more reviews. Poor review scores don't necessarily turn me off about a game, but I do like to read them just to see why they don't like the game. If it's because the controls suck or the game is glitchy as hell I'll probably hold off. If it's just a matter of the reviewers personal taste in the story or their opinion about the look and feel of the game I'll probably still give it a try. There are the things that are objective and the things that are subjective. Sometimes I don't think the reviewers know the difference.
100%. I see this more and more with game reviews where the reviewers don't seem to have any realistic expectations and anything less is a massive disappointment.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I will be picking this up on way home. On reddit it seems everyone loves it and thinks the reviews are bullshit. Someone described it as a mix of last of us, fallout and rdr.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:09 pm
Mandatory wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:41 am I will be picking this up on way home. On reddit it seems everyone loves it and thinks the reviews are bullshit. Someone described it as a mix of last of us, fallout and rdr.
If that's the case I will definitely be buying it. 3 of my all time favorite games right there! Let us know what you think after you've played it a little.
Will do.. probably going to do digital download so it'll be late tonight or weekend before I get in.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

10 mins in, the game looks great. The main character is growing on me. I feel like I'm playing as Daryl in walking dead.

#BaltimoreStrong
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

I was watching Cohhcarnage play, and his (early) review is that it's like an open world Last of Us, with a lot less story. He was hours in, and the objective seemed to be just "head north", with little explanation. I had trouble caring about the characters much at that point. Maybe the story picks up. Doesn't seem like a whole lot to make you keep playing.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:30 pm I was watching Cohhcarnage play, and his (early) review is that it's like an open world Last of Us, with a lot less story. He was hours in, and the objective seemed to be just "head north", with little explanation. I had trouble caring about the characters much at that point. Maybe the story picks up. Doesn't seem like a whole lot to make you keep playing.
I think thats all very unfair. Plenty of story and interesting characters. This is based on my own experiences playing the game yesterday.

#BaltimoreStrong
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

Mandatory wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:46 am
Joe Bag 'O Donuts wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:30 pm I was watching Cohhcarnage play, and his (early) review is that it's like an open world Last of Us, with a lot less story. He was hours in, and the objective seemed to be just "head north", with little explanation. I had trouble caring about the characters much at that point. Maybe the story picks up. Doesn't seem like a whole lot to make you keep playing.
I think thats all very unfair. Plenty of story and interesting characters. This is based on my own experiences playing the game yesterday.
The update is that, as he got further in today, the story has picked up, it just took half the game for that to happen. Still a very average game, but getting better.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Having played a couple hours I can say that it's worth picking up. It's nothing we haven't seen before, nothing groundbreaking, but it's well done and fun. You can tell they put a lot of time into it.

You play as Deacon St. John(horrific name) as a biker/drifter in post apocalypse high desert of Oregon. He's actually a pretty cool character once you get past the name. You are nothing without your motorcycle, it gets you around and is part of your identity. Feels very Last of Us with the story and constant resource management. You are always low and ammo and supplies. Your motorcycle also has a running gas count so you do have to stop fairly often to find gas cans and fill up. You get used to keeping an eye out and filling up whenever you can. Lots of missions involve you taking out bad guy outposts or clearing zombie nests/infestations. A little repetitive but how many games aren't? It looks very good and feels fairly polished.

Story is basically you "lost" your wife at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. Fast forward 2 years, you and your biker buddy are just tooling around Oregon trying to get by and doing jobs for a couple of the civilized "camps" that are left around. You experience some things that make you think maybe your wife isn't dead as you thought and you need to find her. All the while there is a shady government agency called NERO(basically FEMA) flying around and you need to find out what they're doing. All these story lines seem to intertwine, but I'm only a few hours in so who knows..

I'm having a lot of fun. It's a good game.

#BaltimoreStrong
shatminster fuller

Post by shatminster fuller »

Definitely going to get it.
Salut les Terriens!
La culture domine tout, elle est la condition sine qua non de notre civilisation…
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Old man yelling at cloud...

When the fuck can we be done with zombies? It's like this hipster leftover that has stayed around like herpes. Yes, we get it, zombies are edgy!!!
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:19 pm Old man yelling at cloud...

When the fuck can we be done with zombies? It's like this hipster leftover that has stayed around like herpes. Yes, we get it, zombies are edgy!!!
Not to be pedantic.. but these aren't actually zombies. They're infected humans, very alive.

:beer:

#BaltimoreStrong
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Mandatory wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:53 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:19 pm Old man yelling at cloud...

Not to be pedantic.. but these aren't actually zombies. They're infected humans, very alive.

:beer:
Don't try to confuse me with your facts and gorilla dust.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

This seems like an entirely paint by numbers open world game.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

YBBR wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:00 pm This seems like an entirely paint by numbers open world game.
I think this is very unfair. I think the freakers in this game is a real accomplishment. Their behavior and especially the hordes. Only problem is you don't encounter a lot of them until a bit into the game. Probably didn't work into their favor that decision as a lot of people will make up their minds on a game in the first few hours.

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

I've heard there's a lot of sneaking in the game. This is a mechanic that can get hated on at times I've noticed.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Bump for Lord Nu.

#BaltimoreStrong
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:10 pm Bump for Lord Nu.
Thanks!! I tried searching Days Gone in the search, but it kept finding all these random posts with the words Days and Gone, not even combined.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

A decent game that got panned because it didn't live up to the lofty heights of other exclusives. I enjoy it.