Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

New Sony Playstation specs

Video game themed message board
LordNu

Re: New Sony Playstation specs

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 pm
YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:13 pm There will be some surprises e.g. indie hits. I'm looking forward to Suckerpunch's Ghost of Tsushima for a major title.

It's been a slow year thus far though.
I really want to play Shenmue 3.
That saddens me to.no end.
Ohh snap! He got you good there!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:55 pm
YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:00 pm Some of you should mix in some indies along with the major titles. Cheap, tons of.innovation and fun. These big publishers are becoming less and less risk averse so they want less new IPs and more and more sequels.

How many fucking Assassins Creeds can you possibly make Ubisoft?
I always wear Indies. Sometimes backwards though...
I wear Indies on my sleeve.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:51 am
YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 pm

I really want to play Shenmue 3.
That saddens me to.no end.
Word, son!
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:13 pm There will be some surprises e.g. indie hits. I'm looking forward to Suckerpunch's Ghost of Tsushima for a major title.

Looked up the demo video, looks gorgeous.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

LordNu wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:36 am

Looked up the demo video, looks gorgeous.
Yeah. Love the style. Samurai Witcher based on the Mongolian invasion? Sign me up.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:03 pm
YBBR wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:27 am
LordNu wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:51 am

Word, son!
Are you guys... sailors?
Oh no, here we go again.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Underwhelmed.. 8k even though no 8k TVs and an ssd.. I wonder if the backwards compatible works for games that I've already bought and downloaded. I couldn't tell you the last disk I've bought.. they better not make me pay for the game again, although I have a feeling they will..
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm Underwhelmed.. 8k even though no 8k TVs and an ssd.. I wonder if the backwards compatible works for games that I've already bought and downloaded. I couldn't tell you the last disk I've bought.. they better not make me pay for the game again, although I have a feeling they will..
Your games should just work. They do now on Xbox One so I can't see Sony be able to get away with that.

I agree, it's turned into chasing resolution at this point. Who cares?

These systems will run 8K so half assed anyway. I would rather have bigger and better games, AI, new game mechanics etc.. Instead we will get the same shit we have been playing for the last decade with another coat of paint.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:23 pm
Rusty Kuntz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm Underwhelmed.. 8k even though no 8k TVs and an ssd.. I wonder if the backwards compatible works for games that I've already bought and downloaded. I couldn't tell you the last disk I've bought.. they better not make me pay for the game again, although I have a feeling they will..
Your games should just work. They do now on Xbox One so I can't see Sony be able to get away with that.

I agree, it's turned into chasing resolution at this point. Who cares?

These systems will run 8K so half assed anyway. I would rather have bigger and better games, AI, new game mechanics etc.. Instead we will get the same shit we have been playing for the last decade with another coat of paint.
True. Chrono Trigger on SNES should still not be a better story/game then stuff that comes out now.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:18 pm This will be the last hardware that comes out. The future is like Netflix subscription services.

Gaming becomes more of a joke as time goes on. I won't be buying this time around.

They can shove their unfinished games, patches, pay to play online, micro transactions, same game franchises over and over and over again, up their ass.

I like how they make backwards compatibility something to get hyped for. They took it away from consumers and now we are supposed to get excited?!?

Can't wait for a higher resolution Assassins Creed. :zzz:
Lots of the better games, imo, are ones that are primarily meant to be single player ones. Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption, GTA 5 (the single player was still great), God Of War and soon to be Cyberpunk. There's more that I'm missing but great games still are being made that don't have all that shit.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:37 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:18 pm This will be the last hardware that comes out. The future is like Netflix subscription services.

Gaming becomes more of a joke as time goes on. I won't be buying this time around.

They can shove their unfinished games, patches, pay to play online, micro transactions, same game franchises over and over and over again, up their ass.

I like how they make backwards compatibility something to get hyped for. They took it away from consumers and now we are supposed to get excited?!?

Can't wait for a higher resolution Assassins Creed. :zzz:
Lots of the better games, imo, are ones that are primarily meant to be single player ones. Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption, GTA 5 (the single player was still great), God Of War and soon to be Cyberpunk. There's more that I'm missing but great games still are being made that don't have all that shit.
I agree but you just named 4 games this whole gen. GTA 5 is from last gen and Cyberpunk isn't out yet.

There used to be twice that list you just named in just one year on PS2.

Every gen it's fewer and fewer games like you listed above.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

I'm really disappointed in the current gen systems, or maybe the lack of AAA game support. The last gen, we had multiple GTA games, Red Dead, Bioshock trilogy, Mass Effect trilogy, 2 Fallout games, 2 Elder Scrolls games, lots of great one offs.

This generation, the quality of the finished products have been markedly worse, and they've been fewer and further between. For the first time, I feel like this console generation hasn't provided fair value. I probably won't buy into the next gen.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
salamander

Post by salamander »

You guys gearing up for the fanboy war? I'm getting my meme's ready now.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The major problem with VR is they're in a phase where every game is teaching you how to use VR or what "could be" if VR got better.

There really are not many games that are just pure games. Nobody has figured out how to use it properly.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

B-Town wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:39 am I'm really disappointed in the current gen systems, or maybe the lack of AAA game support. The last gen, we had multiple GTA games, Red Dead, Bioshock trilogy, Mass Effect trilogy, 2 Fallout games, 2 Elder Scrolls games, lots of great one offs.

This generation, the quality of the finished products have been markedly worse, and they've been fewer and further between. For the first time, I feel like this console generation hasn't provided fair value. I probably won't buy into the next gen.
Exactly this. Every gen we get fewer and fewer great games.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:13 pm
B-Town wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:39 am I'm really disappointed in the current gen systems, or maybe the lack of AAA game support. The last gen, we had multiple GTA games, Red Dead, Bioshock trilogy, Mass Effect trilogy, 2 Fallout games, 2 Elder Scrolls games, lots of great one offs.

I think that's an unequivocally false statement. 2017 had an enormous breadth of fantastic games. it was one of the best years I can remember ever for gaming. i also really enjoyed a slew of games I played in 2018. It's been slow this year, but there is a wider variety of games that cater to more tastes than ever before.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

YBBR wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:16 pm

I think that's an unequivocally false statement. 2017 had an enormous breadth of fantastic games. it was one of the best years I can remember ever for gaming. i also really enjoyed a slew of games I played in 2018. It's been slow this year, but there is a wider variety of games that cater to more tastes than ever before.
Not AAA games though. That's what we are talking.

It's definitely subjective. I respect yours and others opinions. I just don't find it appealing.

I mean look at even sports titles. A gen or two back we had.

All star baseball, MVP baseball, High Heat Baseball, MLB 2K, The Show, inside pitch etc.. All in one year.

Now we have The Show.

We had Madden, Game day, Blitz, NFL 2K, QB Club, NFL Fever etc..

Now we have Madden.

We had NBA Showtime, inside drive, NBA 2K, NBA Live

We basically just have 2K.

That's just the sports genre.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:33 pm

It's definitely subjective. I respect yours and others opinions. I just don't find it appealing.

All star baseball, MVP baseball, High Heat Baseball, MLB 2K, The Show, inside pitch etc.. All in one year.

Now we have The Show.

Now we have Madden.

i agree that AAA is in a rut as far as variety and sequels. Feels like too many business people are running everything and just looking at just the bottom line.There are a few new IP's moving the needle, but I agree the big publishers need to wake up, invest in some new games and open their eyes.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

YBBR wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:40 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Now we have The Show.

Now we have Madden.

i agree that AAA is in a rut as far as variety and sequels. Feels like too many business people are running everything and just looking at just the bottom line.There are a few new IP's moving the needle, but I agree the big publishers need to wake up, invest in some new games and open their eyes.
My issue is that this generation boasts a fraction of the AAA titles that have been out there for each other console generation. And many of the games are coming out in an unfinished beta state.

I don't buy consoles for the indie titles. Maybe I need to get into them more, but my experience with them overall has been mixed. I've spent $20 on the wrong title multiple times, and that just feels bad.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
salamander

Post by salamander »

B-Town wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:16 am My issue is that this generation boasts a fraction of the AAA titles that have been out there for each other console generation. And many of the games are coming out in an unfinished beta state.

I don't buy consoles for the indie titles. Maybe I need to get into them more, but my experience with them overall has been mixed. I've spent $20 on the wrong title multiple times, and that just feels bad.
This. I don't buy consoles for Indie titles. I do play them too but the Indie scene is like a claw game with 75% shitty games. Hopefully you purchase a good one! And you can't even trust the video game reviewers anymore because of all the behind the scene shady stuff going on right now.

I want AAA titles and I want new ideas. We're short on these big time.
I'm looking at you Naughtey Dog, what's after Last of Us 2, I hope it's not Last of Us 3.

Seriously, Last of Us was a PS3 game and we haven't really seen anything fresh at all on PS4 from the best developer in the business? We got some remakes and branches off of Uncharted but that's a PS3 series too. Can we stop going to that well? I'm bored with it and it really hasn't been "great" since the 3rd game (even that was a step back for Uncharted 2).
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

So, it's basically a PC at this point.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:26 am So, it's basically a PC at this point.
I can't wait to play Office 365 on my Playputer!!!
My whole thing at this point is I refuse to support exclusives. I borrowed my buddies PS4 to play Bloodborne, ain't giving those jackasses any of my money.

Kick-ass PC, Steam and Steamlink, good enough for most titles.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

I like my PSVR. They do need a "Have to Buy" game, but it is truly spectacular how immersive it is. The PC versions will be able to support 4K soon (which will be a game changer).
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:21 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 am

I can't wait to play Office 365 on my Playputer!!!
My whole thing at this point is I refuse to support exclusives. I borrowed my buddies PS4 to play Bloodborne, ain't giving those jackasses any of my money.

Kick-ass PC, Steam and Steamlink, good enough for most titles.
Yeah, I haven't actually played a game on my consoles since I bought my PC. I'm sure I will sometime soon, but I'm just still going through my honeymoon phase with my PC and my Surface Pro. It really just sort of blows me away how good old games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas look on the PC versus the console. It's made some of my favorite old games feel new again.

The only thing I'm struggling to get used to is the mouse and keyboard controls versus the controller. Some use the controller just fine, but others... not so much... Morrowind and Oblivion sort of work through the key mapping thing on steam, but it doesn't really work well...
Confused. Games that always supported controllers should work fine. Are you saying you could use a controller on Morrowind in the past on a different system? I thought those types of games always required keyboard and mouse.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:30 pm

No, Morrowind and Oblivion where released on consoles, but they don't have full controller support on PC like the Fallout games or Skyrim. Idk why. Steam has a feature that allows you to map keyboard and mouse controls to the Steam controller or a 3rd party controller like my Xbox 1 controller. Unfortunately you can't, or I haven't figured out how to, reuse controller buttons for different actions. For example, using the "A" button on the Xbox controller as an action button while traveling around the map to do things like open chests or talk to npc's, and then using it in the menu screen to select items or to save. In the menu screen you have to use the right trigger to select and there are buttons that just don't exist because you can't reuse them like they have with the consoles.
Gotcha.