Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Raspberry Pi users?

Video game themed message board
Moses Scurry

Raspberry Pi users?

Post by Moses Scurry »

So here's my thing:

I use Steam and bought a Steamlink which streams directly from your PC to Steamlink so you don't need a console to play on your TV. It works amazing and performance is really just dictated by your host machine (I use a wired connection for the best latency.)

Steam no longer makes the Link hardware so I'm preparing for the day it dies. Fortunately, Steamlink is now an app which can be used on your phone (apple/android) but it is also available for the Pi. From the specs, I think the Pi might be better than the Steamlink hardware which can't hurt.

So who has setup a Pi? I'm highly technical so I'm not afraid of getting it setup, just wondering if it's worth the trouble and any pointers? How long has your Pi lasted? Is it gonna flake out on me in a year?

TIA.
Moses Scurry

Re: Raspberry Pi users?

Post by Moses Scurry »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:37 pm Actually I had a bid going on a steam controller/link combo on eBay, but I didn't bid it up because I started to feel like I already spent way to fucking much on computer shit. I think I'm glad I didn't get the steam controller, my xbox controller works just fine and I'm actually used to it, but the steam link thing might be worth looking into if it streams any better than the link between my PC and tablet does? I could see putting the steam link upstairs connected to the living room TV so I don't always have to hunker down in the dungeon to game.

Assuming we are talking about the same thing, why not just buy another steam link or two now versus waiting until it dies and trying to build one with a raspberry pi? I mean, it's kinda cool that you can do it, but it didn't seem like the actual steamlink was very expensive on eBay?
I like to tinker and the Link has been discontinued. They moved to software on peoples own hardware. I don't want to deal with peoples second hand electronics.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

YBBR is big into the raspberry pi.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

It's worth it as a cheap emulation station with Hdmi outputs. That's what I have used it for.

Although an FPGA solution like the mister is really fucking awesome. It may be more than I am willing to pay for my limited emulation needs.

It's been solid for me, I've had the 3rd version for about a year maybe a touch longer. It sets up pretty easily.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."