Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gamestop going under

Video game themed message board
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Gamestop going under

Post by RubeTube »

Well the days of video game stores, video game mags etc are virtually dead.

Gamestop was the one company that remained. Gamers love to hate this place for their practices but we have all spent time in them.

They have been hanging by a thread for the last 5 year's. If you have noticed, some stores have turned into more toys, shirts, dolls etc than games after they did a merger at some locations.

Just announced today that they lost 700 million dollars last year. They are rumored to not make it to next gen which is Holiday 2020.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Re: Gamestop going under

Post by YBBR »

Barely entered one. I had some nostalgia for EB Games, but not for Gamestop. Won't miss them and won't notice when they're all gone.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

YBBR wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:31 am Barely entered one. I had some nostalgia for EB Games, but not for Gamestop. Won't miss them and won't notice when they're all gone.
Ya fuck gamestop. I do feel for the people in the stores that will lose their jobs. EB Games was nice. Same with Funcoland

“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I haven't bought physical in years, my experience didn't change except for the better. Internet is fast enough where I dont need to leave the house to purchase a game. If I did I might feel different, but everything they tell me about the roll out of 5G is that nobody wont.

We'll see if they're right.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
salamander

Post by salamander »

I've always hated this place. Except for the last 5 years there was one gal at the store I started to shop at for games that always helped the little princess pick out games. It was more just this one girl that I liked. She always picked games the little lady would love and they'd talk about the game the next time we'd go in.

I think her best selection was a project diva game.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Herky

Post by Herky »

I was just there Friday to get MLB The Show 19 and traded in some games. I never minded the place. Staff was usually friendly and knew their stuff and their used game sales were nice if you wanted to get caught up on older games.

We have a local place called Video Game Ect. that has been in business for 15 years. They have 2 locations and I have no idea how they stay open because they are always a few dollars more than everywhere else.

I usually buy my games digitally anymore or on Amazon. Probably the reason why Gamestop and other stores struggle.
Douglas Bubbletrousers
***Official Gibby Award Winner - March 2018, June 2019***

Post by Douglas Bubbletrousers »

There was some joke about when you work at GameStop you just get paid in store credit
I don't give a fig for the simplicity on this side of complexity, but I would die for the simplicity on the other side of complexity.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:18 pm
Herky wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:32 am I was just there Friday to get MLB The Show 19 and traded in some games. I never minded the place. Staff was usually friendly and knew their stuff and their used game sales were nice if you wanted to get caught up on older games.

We have a local place called Video Game Ect. that has been in business for 15 years. They have 2 locations and I have no idea how they stay open because they are always a few dollars more than everywhere else.

I usually buy my games digitally anymore or on Amazon. Probably the reason why Gamestop and other stores struggle.
This made me think of the old Software Etc that I used to basically live in while my mom was at work in the mall. I only lived with her on the weekends and summers, so I'd ride with her to the town she worked in to spend a little extra time with her. While she was working, I'd go to a movie, check out the arcade, play a half hour of Sega Saturn demo games at Target, Play a half hour of Super Mario 64 at Sears, and spend the rest of the day look at games and consoles I couldn't afford at the Software Etc across from the Mastercuts my mom was working at. It was the old school look that was straight out of the early 90's...

I sort of miss that place. I think they got bought out by Gamestop or just became them.
I remember that place. B Dalton bookstore owned them and then sold them and Software Ect. became Gamestop I think. I used to get computer games at Software Ect back in the day.

Kay Bee was my go to for Atari games. I still was buying them near the end of the Atari life cycle and they were super cheap there.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Where else will I be able to sell my games for a quarter in store credit?
Herky

Post by Herky »

Dan33185 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:08 pm Where else will I be able to sell my games for a quarter in store credit?
:lol: They do fuck you on trade-ins but I understand they have to try to make money when they re-sell them. I got $2.50 back for MLB The Show 17 on PS4 and $4.50 back on Far Cry Primal for Xbox One. Basically covered tax when I bought MLB The Show 19.
laX

Post by laX »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:18 pm
Herky wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:32 am I was just there Friday to get MLB The Show 19 and traded in some games. I never minded the place. Staff was usually friendly and knew their stuff and their used game sales were nice if you wanted to get caught up on older games.

This made me think of the old Software Etc that I used to basically live in while my mom was at work in the mall. I only lived with her on the weekends and summers, so I'd ride with her to the town she worked in to spend a little extra time with her. While she was working, I'd go to a movie, check out the arcade, play a half hour of Sega Saturn demo games at Target, Play a half hour of Super Mario 64 at Sears, and spend the rest of the day look at games and consoles I couldn't afford at the Software Etc across from the Mastercuts my mom was working at. It was the old school look that was straight out of the early 90's...

I sort of miss that place. I think they got bought out by Gamestop or just became them.
i think that's the cornerstone store in the "dirt mall" from the film "mallrats"
i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting