Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Abe's annual help me buy a PC thread!

Video game themed message board
YBBR

Re: Abe's annual help me buy a PC thread!

Post by YBBR »

Building is the way to go. You get way more bang for your buck. Plus you can decide what components are.important to you. Building a PC is kinda like putting together a few legos.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Also if you're looking for something more middle tier I would not rule out the 580 or 590. More bang for your buck than stuff like 1050
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe's anal to help him buy a PC?

Is he giving our receiving?
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:50 am So, I've done this before, but I've never followed through with getting a gaming PC. Something else ALWAYS comes up, and I end up having to spend the money on something more pressing. Well, NO MORE! I got myself a credit card for the first time in 5 years. ( After I paid off the last one, I decided to see how far I could go without one. Turns out, I can go pretty far, but after the water heater took a shit, it made me realize with home ownership having a card just in case the "oh shit" fund isn't quite enough would be pretty nice.)

So, I'm going to finance what I can't pay for, and I'm going to get one, dammit!

I'm buying, not building. I just want to get something that works out of the box with minimal set up.

Your mission: Find the best PC you can find ON AMAZON for under $750 total.

Also: Find the best laptop you can find ON AMAZON for under $750.

I'm trying to decide between laptop or PC. I I really would like the ability to take my shit on the go with me, but getting a tower would be real nice for the future.

Here are a few I've been considering.

Towers:

https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-Deskto ... way&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Gaming-C ... Q6HES85S67

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077QDM2DP/re ... B07CH38T1S

Laptops:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-15-6-inch-Ant ... ics&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9ZXKXS/re ... 96b6b7be1a

That's it so far.

All of these light up with flashy lights and shit like that. While that is neat, I don't really care if the computer has it or not. The backlit keyboard is nice though.
Man you should of bought on black friday. The deals were amazing. I build and have bought pre built.

I am on the internet 24-7 finding deals, glitches etc.. It's what I do.

Give Teh Tube a bit to see what he can come up with.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:11 pm
YBBR wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:14 pm Building is the way to go. You get way more bang for your buck. Plus you can decide what components are.important to you. Building a PC is kinda like putting together a few legos.
It really shouldn't be that hard. It really shouldn't, but that is just one of those things that I seem to have an uncanny ability to fuck up. Usually it seriously isn't my fault. For example, I'll get a parts list with everything I would need to build the PC I want on it. All the model numbers, literally unfuckable. But, I guarantee something stupid would happen. Something dumb like I would just happen to get the rare motherboard that they only made 12 of in which the manufacturer decided to put a port or something in a different spot causing a spacing issue for 5 other parts I intend to add because the world hates me.
Also, I would never go with a laptop. You are not going to find shit either at those price for a laptop.

Desktop is the way to go.

Also, I disagree with YBBR. If you can find a AMD system for cheap enough, sure. Nvidia+Intel combo is the way to go.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe, how close to you from Jamestown ND?

They have two left in stock. Laptop

i5 with a gtx 1050ti for 479.00

That's a great price. I found it on a stock checker site. You never want to call and ask as employees will usually snatch them up.

The GPU is by no means a beast but it will play modern games and it's a lit better than what you linked for the prices.

New gpus have dropped is the problem. You can buy a 1660 for under 300.00 and it gives you gtx 1070ti performance.

Nvidia ended the competition with that card.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Here you go Abe. I would buy this.

More powerful than anything you listed, comes with all you need. Even a 500gb SSD. 599.99

And you don't even have to leave your house. You better hurry and order it though. These deals don't last long. Here's the link.

You can't even build this for the price.

https://m.newegg.com/products/1VK-005B- ... gnorebbr=1
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Sorry it went oos yesterday. There isn't anything else anywhere that's a good deal. Hang tight for a few days and check here regularly.

Those ones you have linked on Amazon are not worth the money and are already behind the 8 ball in power.

Amazon isn't really a good place for a purchase like this imo.

If you are by Jamestown, that laptop is still available. That desktop I had linked was a very nice setup for 600.00 though.

I'll keep watching it. Sometimes they come back in stock.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:59 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:23 pm Abe, how close to you from Jamestown ND?

They have two left in stock. Laptop

i5 with a gtx 1050ti for 479.00

That's a great price. I found it on a stock checker site. You never want to call and ask as employees will usually snatch them up.

The GPU is by no means a beast but it will play modern games and it's a lit better than what you linked for the prices.

New gpus have dropped is the problem. You can buy a 1660 for under 300.00 and it gives you gtx 1070ti performance.

Nvidia ended the competition with that card.
Hour and a half.
Ya. F that. I would get a desktop anyway.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:05 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:32 pm Here you go Abe. I would buy this.

More powerful than anything you listed, comes with all you need. Even a 500gb SSD. 599.99

And you don't even have to leave your house. You better hurry and order it though. These deals don't last long. Here's the link.

You can't even build this for the price.

https://m.newegg.com/products/1VK-005B- ... gnorebbr=1
They have that on Amazon, but the price looks better there. :thumbsup:
Hopefully they get some more. That's really the deal to hit.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Still watching. No good deals over the weekend. I will keep looking. That posted link has still been oos.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:51 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:51 pm Still watching. No good deals over the weekend. I will keep looking. That posted link has still been oos.
Thanks for looking. I found this one on Amazon. It's not a great deal, but I really like the case.

https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Version- ... =8-1-fkmr3

I haven't bought it, but it's in contention. I really like that case. The specs are similar to the one you found, but it doesn't have as good of a processor. Ryzen 1200 instead... The rest is pretty much the same from what I can tell.
:thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:51 pm Still watching. No good deals over the weekend. I will keep looking. That posted link has still been oos.
Thanks for looking. I found this one on Amazon. It's not a great deal, but I really like the case.

I haven't bought it, but it's in contention. I really like that case. The specs are similar to the one you found, but it doesn't have as good of a processor. Ryzen 1200 instead... The rest is pretty much the same from what I can tell. They are asking $699, so it's probably a fair deal if that.
Doesn't have a SSD either which I recommend. You can buy those and put one in yourself though.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:57 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:54 am

I haven't bought it, but it's in contention. I really like that case. The specs are similar to the one you found, but it doesn't have as good of a processor. Ryzen 1200 instead... The rest is pretty much the same from what I can tell. They are asking $699, so it's probably a fair deal if that.
Doesn't have a SSD either which I recommend. You can buy those and put one in yourself though.
How tough is it to swap out a processor? I'm thinking in a year or two I'll probably be looking into it with that one.
Not positive. A lot with have to do with the motherboard etc.. Hard to know until you crack it open.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:44 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:41 am
Abe Froman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:57 am

How tough is it to swap out a processor? I'm thinking in a year or two I'll probably be looking into it with that one.
Not positive. A lot with have to do with the motherboard etc.. Hard to know until you crack it open.
You know... The more I'm looking into this, the more I'm just starting to think I should hold off a month or two, and put away a few hundred each month. I could buy a $750 PC now, and it would work fine. I'd probably even like it, but... I could buy a $1300 PC and get something a LOT better that would last a LOT longer before I'd need to upgrade, and I'm pretty sure I'd be a LOT happier.

For example.

https://www.amazon.com/Flagship-HP-Pavi ... XJ1HAJ7WNV

I just chose the top of the line everything for all options. It comes to just under $1300. I mean, that just seems better to me. I could get it now, but I don't want to pay interest on my credit card, so I think I'll wait a month or two. Let me know if you find something good in the mean time though!
Ya. Plus new gpus are just starting to roll out. Wait until the new rigs are built with them.

That's the one thing that will become addicting is buying new gpus.

I was constantly upgrading my rig even when I didn't need to.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:25 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:44 pm

You know... The more I'm looking into this, the more I'm just starting to think I should hold off a month or two, and put away a few hundred each month. I could buy a $750 PC now, and it would work fine. I'd probably even like it, but... I could buy a $1300 PC and get something a LOT better that would last a LOT longer before I'd need to upgrade, and I'm pretty sure I'd be a LOT happier.

For example.

https://www.amazon.com/Flagship-HP-Pavi ... XJ1HAJ7WNV

I just chose the top of the line everything for all options. It comes to just under $1300. I mean, that just seems better to me. I could get it now, but I don't want to pay interest on my credit card, so I think I'll wait a month or two. Let me know if you find something good in the mean time though!
Ya. Plus new gpus are just starting to roll out. Wait until the new rigs are built with them.

That's the one thing that will become addicting is buying new gpus.

I was constantly upgrading my rig even when I didn't need to.
I better stay off of Amazon when I'm drinking. That's how I buy TV's and Guitars... My cart currently has a $600 Pavilion in it with decent specs, though only a RX550 4gb Graphics Card... I almost had myself talked into getting it thinking I could just upgrade the graphics card in a year or two, but honestly, in a couple years I could see myself starting to feel unhappy with only 16 gb ddr4 and i7 instead of i9 or they equivalent Ryzen processor. Since it's a Pavilion, I'm not even real sure what parts can be upgraded. I'd assume the graphics card can be, but as far as the rest of it goes, who knows.
An i5 is really all you need for gaming. A i7 is exactly the same but with hyper threading. Those i9s etc are for people who do video editing and such.

Who knows what you will need with next gen consoles. The time to wait is when the next console run comes out. Rarely anyone develops big AAA games anymore soley for PC. It's just too much of a niche market.

The next gen console specs look to be all using Navi from AMD. A 1,000 rig right now will have better specs than a PS5 will in 2020

I would go with a i5 or i7 and spend the rest on GPU.

I will say you will want 16 gb ram. New consoles are rumored to have that.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:57 pm What are your thoughts on the threadripper processor? It's pretty spendy, but it has a funny name, and I mean, I like funny names.
It's pretty crazy.

Here's the thing, if you are looking to spend a bigger amount, buy a Nvidia and intel setup. I personally don't prefer AMD. It's second tier imo. I know some will disagree and I hate to be one of those PC fan boys but they really are superior.

If I was buying a AMD, I would need a cheap good deal like that one I linked but it isn't in stock.

If you are going to spend the dough, skip the AMD headache. Also, go to a boutique shop like

Digital Storm

Origin

Alienware

Falcon Northwest

Those ibuypower etc are pretty junky

Go check out Falcon Northwest, they even do a PC in granite lol. High end stuff.

You can pick the exact motherboard, foam padding for sound proofing etc...

Go check the pages to what I mentioned above. You can make different builds and see what they cost. You can pick all your own parts and they build them for you. :thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:20 pm I went crazy, and now I don't know how to hide this from my wife...

My PC will be here on Wednesday... I though, "hey, what am I going to set it on?", So I bought a new desk, I though"what will I see it with" so I bought two new monitors (a curved 30" ultra wide and a curved 24" regular width screen". I thought how will I interface with it from the couch? So, I bought a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. I thought how will I connect to my tv from where the desk is going to be? So I bought a couple 25' HDMI cables, a few 10' HDMI cables, and an HDMI splitter so I can send a signal to any of my three TV's I have in my mancave. The 65", the 50", or the 100" projector. I thought where will I sit at my new L shaped desk? So I bought a chair... I thought, how will I plug all of this in and protect it so I bought a neat little plug in tower thing.

And I bought a mouse pad because... At this point why the hell not...
I thought your wife isn't working? Why would you have to hide shit you worked and payed for.

She should feel lucky she has a roof over her head and something to eat at this juncture.

— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:32 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:26 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:20 pm I went crazy, and now I don't know how to hide this from my wife...

My PC will be here on Wednesday... I though, "hey, what am I going to set it on?", So I bought a new desk, I though"what will I see it with" so I bought two new monitors (a curved 30" ultra wide and a curved 24" regular width screen". I thought how will I interface with it from the couch? So, I bought a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. I thought how will I connect to my tv from where the desk is going to be? So I bought a couple 25' HDMI cables, a few 10' HDMI cables, and an HDMI splitter so I can send a signal to any of my three TV's I have in my mancave. The 65", the 50", or the 100" projector. I thought where will I sit at my new L shaped desk? So I bought a chair... I thought, how will I plug all of this in and protect it so I bought a neat little plug in tower thing.

And I bought a mouse pad because... At this point why the hell not...
I thought your wife isn't working? Why would you have to hide shit you worked and payed for.

She should feel lucky she has a roof over her head and something to eat at this juncture.

She started half days last week and goes back to full speed this week. Her doctors finally got wise to her shit and stopped signing off on her sabbatical from work. She's been in super bitch mode since then... She's going to be pissed because due to her month off, she isn't getting paid for a month. So, while this will be fine and I can pay it since she is working now, she will be pissed because the timing of this was stupid. Which... It was stupid, I have no defense other than to say, fuck it, I wanted it, now I've got to tighten the belt for a little while, but I got what I wanted.
:thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master