Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Will Anthem be a flop?

Video game themed message board
YBBR

Will Anthem be a flop?

Post by YBBR »

Bioware needs a hit. Badly. Early impressions are.mixed at best. Will Anthem be a flop?
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Tommy_Hawk

Re: Will Anthem be a flop?

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

It looked okay when I watched the Dev trailer, or whatever.

Seems the flops anymore are the games that lack a compelling stoeyline. Idk if Im compelled enough to try to find out the secret tech of the ancestral "Sacred" or whatever their name is. Will wait to see.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:27 pm It looked okay when I watched the Dev trailer, or whatever.

Seems the flops anymore are the games that lack a compelling stoeyline. Idk if Im compelled enough to try to find out the secret tech of the ancestral "Sacred" or whatever their name is. Will wait to see.
Storytelling and world building used to be the best strengths of Bioware too. They were originally an RPG studio. Just seems like EA has maybe pushed them further and further away from the development team they used to be.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

YBBR wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm Bioware needs a hit. Badly. Early impressions are.mixed at best. Will Anthem be a flop?
Yes. It's already getting hated on. I thought it looked generic from the first time they showed it.

I don't touch anything with a EA logo on it.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

YBBR wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:12 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:27 pm It looked okay when I watched the Dev trailer, or whatever.

Storytelling and world building used to be the best strengths of Bioware too. They were originally an RPG studio. Just seems like EA has maybe pushed them further and further away from the development team they used to be.
Yup. Baldur's Gate, and its sequel, Baldur's Gate 2 is one of my all time favorite games. Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights were pretty solid too. KOTOR looked fun, although I never had an Xbox, so I would just play it occasionally at my buddy's house. Yep, Bioware had some BANGERS back in the day.

Like Teh Tube says, anything EA these days feels gutted.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

I don't trust Bioware at all after Andromeda, maybe even as far back as ME3 (which was a good overall game with an ending that was exactly what they said it wouldn't be). I have zero interest in Anthem - maybe will look to pick it up later if it gets fixed after release (aka user paid beta).
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Herky

Post by Herky »

They should have never pulled resources from Andromeda to work on this game IMO. Andromeda wasn't a terrible game, but it wasn't really Mass Effect either and you could tell since the main team that did those was put in Anthem. BioWare outsourced a lot of Andromeda and it wasn't what it should have been.

I don't know if Anthem was a smart move. I hope the next Dragon Age game happens and is good.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 am
YBBR wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm Bioware needs a hit. Badly. Early impressions are.mixed at best. Will Anthem be a flop?
Yes. It's already getting hated on. I thought it looked generic from the first time they showed it.

I'm with you here. I avoid anything EA. Don't even play Madden anymore because they've ruined it.
I can't wait until the NFL license is pulled from EA.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Herky

Post by Herky »

salamander wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 pm

I'm with you here. I avoid anything EA. Don't even play Madden anymore because they've ruined it.
They need competition like when 2K was able to make an NFL game. Exclusive rights ruins sports games. They have nobody to push them to be better.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

salamander wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Why do you think that'll happen? The Madden franchise is horrendous but an absolute cash cow. Doubt the NFL cares about the quality of it and probably will keep giving the license to EA as long as it keeps bringing in the money it does.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Back to Anthem... Has anyone picked it up? Impressions? The reviews seem pretty brutal.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

I wanted to want this.. especially after all the hype. But the streams and articles I've read about it just sound awful.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I also wanted a Destiny with perhaps a better story like with people from Bioware.

We've have come to the realization these are not the Baldur's Gate people, or the people who made KOTOR, or our beloved Mass Effect. They've just been too gutted by EA.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

They're all trying to cash in on loot or battle royale games.. which is so stupid and one of the reasons I think Fortnite is the worst thing to ever happen to gaming.

#BaltimoreStrong
Herky

Post by Herky »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:16 pm This feels like a strange time to be a gamer. Look at all these big companies that really just need to not make any stupid changes to their formulas piss success down their legs. Blizzard, Bethesda, Bioware... Could someone go see if Bungie is still okay? This could be a "B" thing.
Matt Helgeson left Game Informer mainly for these same reasons. He still likes video games, just doesn't like the direction they are going now.

Everything is going online.
ILLogic

Post by ILLogic »

Dont buy
ive spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I got this for like $12. It's installing right now. Apparently they overhauled everything, so it should be decent. I guess the gameplay is fun.

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I got it for $4aud. They are apparently doing a major major update, to the extent it is basically completely rebuilt and turned into Anthem 2, sort of what happened with No Man's Sky.

I won't play until that update occurs.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

LordNu wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:25 pm I got it for $4aud. They are apparently doing a major major update, to the extent it is basically completely rebuilt and turned into Anthem 2, sort of what happened with No Man's Sky.

I won't play until that update occurs.
Yeah, that's what I meant to say. You get to be Iron Man, fly around in a suit and stuff. It seems alright. I played for about an hour.

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

News on the new Anthem update. Re-engineering the whole game: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/02/biowa ... of-anthem/
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

LordNu wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:55 pm News on the new Anthem update. Re-engineering the whole game: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/02/biowa ... of-anthem/
The 'flying around like Iron Man' part of the game is pretty cool, but everything else about the game I find pretty soulless.

Herky

Post by Herky »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:20 am
LordNu wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:55 pm News on the new Anthem update. Re-engineering the whole game: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/02/biowa ... of-anthem/
Let it die.
I don't get Bioware's priorities with this game. They said they are working on a new Dragon Age which is awesome, but why dump money into this game that is all but dead? Not many people I've heard are playing it at all. You'd think they would stick to their bread and butter and keep Mass Effect going. The last one (Andromeda) wasn't a bad game at all despite the fact that they pulled most of the ME team off it to work on this disaster.

Just admit this game was a mistake and focus on the games that made BioWare great. A new Knights Of The Old Republic would be awesome too.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Herky wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:21 am
Abe Froman wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:20 am
Let it die.
I don't get Bioware's priorities with this game. They said they are working on a new Dragon Age which is awesome, but why dump money into this game that is all but dead? Not many people I've heard are playing it at all. You'd think they would stick to their bread and butter and keep Mass Effect going. The last one (Andromeda) wasn't a bad game at all despite the fact that they pulled most of the ME team off it to work on this disaster.

Just admit this game was a mistake and focus on the games that made BioWare great. A new Knights Of The Old Republic would be awesome too.
I skimmed through an article which basically described how EA fucked over Bioware. I think they really wanted to create it, and this is an FU to EA for fucking it up.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

It seems the biggest problem is that they have the resources, just that EA is making them, and every other team, shove games out the door before they are ready to make financial quarters look good.

That's not really how games work anymore. The majority of the people purchasing games are much better informed and knowledgeable and aren't really looking for cookie cutter shit with 1000's of bugs and the game being half baked. That's not a good experience and you get bit one too many times with this scenario and say maybe I'll hold back on this until someone I trust says it's worth a damn.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

They killed the revamp of this game a couple days ago. Servers are still up but this game is functionally extinct. Anthem was a flop and eventually will be no longer playable. However long that takes.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Yeah, it flopped :/ Waste of $4.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

FWIW, it's because of this awful game that EA is allowing Dragon Age to be single player only and not always online.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:22 am
YBBR wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:12 pm They killed the revamp of this game a couple days ago. Servers are still up but this game is functionally extinct. Anthem was a flop and eventually will be no longer playable. However long that takes.
Too bad. The screen shots I saw of the world mad it look kinda cool graphically.
The game sucked, butt the game play was fun–Iron Man-esque, flying around shooting stuff, or landing and doing melee-mechsuit attack stuff.

Hopefully EA puts these resources into improving all their other shitty games. Hopefully a real developer picks up where this game left off, and does an Iron Man game or something, where its open world flying around shooting stuff.

Herky

Post by Herky »

Fuck online. I had fun with Destiny and Destiny 2, and Fallout 76 isn't bad, but single player still sells.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Same. I'll get Madden every 5 years but that's only because it's literally the only football game on the Market.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.