Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Ninja

Video game themed message board
LwnmwrMan222

Ninja

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

I wonder how many other people even get remotely close to this kind of income playing video games?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/31/tech/nin ... index.html
My body, my choice.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Re: Ninja

Post by Mandatory »

It's sickening to me.. not because the amount but because he's boring as hell. At least someone like Dr Disrespect puts on a show, granted warts and all.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:08 pm On one hand, I just want to say a big fuck you to Mrs Peterson my 8th grade English teacher who said playing video games wouldn't help anyone amount to anything. On the other hand, I'm starting to believe we are completely fucked as a society.
FWIW I'm almost certain eSports won't last nor will the twitch boom.. at least not at the level it's at now.

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:40 am I wonder how many other people even get remotely close to this kind of income playing video games?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/31/tech/nin ... index.html
He was on the cover of ESPN magazine a few months back. That dude plays twice a day for 6 hours straight. He said he needs a couple more years at his current pace and he can set up his family for life (including kids). It was a pretty interesting read.

He has become a bit old school in the Fortnite world though. He can no longer compete with the extreme levels of defensive gameplay we're seeing at the top levels of the game anymore.

It's almost like trench warfare but instead it's a path of building while using the Z axis (AKA: in the air as well).

Go look at some of these end games during major tourney's. They're insane and in some respects borish. (I know, weird combo)
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:16 pm It's sickening to me.. not because the amount but because he's boring as hell. At least someone like Dr Disrespect puts on a show, granted warts and all.
I'm with your here. Ninja is pretty boring as far as commentary and what not. He just had some wild gameplay early in the games history. He paved the way to what most players consider basic technique now.

That's why I love Nickmercs. His stories and commentary are hilarious. I watch mostly because of his charisma.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

salamander wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:55 pm
Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:16 pm It's sickening to me.. not because the amount but because he's boring as hell. At least someone like Dr Disrespect puts on a show, granted warts and all.
I'm with your here. Ninja is pretty boring as far as commentary and what not. He just had some wild gameplay early in the games history. He paved the way to what most players consider basic technique now.

That's why I love Nickmercs. His stories and commentary are hilarious. I watch mostly because of his charisma.
I will agree that his gameplay is something else, he is a pioneer in that respect. I still don't understand how they can function like they do when gaming...

I have to admit I never thought I'd be into streaming but I do find myself often watching clips on youtube. I will check out Nickmercs as I'm not familiar.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:38 pm
Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:17 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:08 pm On one hand, I just want to say a big fuck you to Mrs Peterson my 8th grade English teacher who said playing video games wouldn't help anyone amount to anything. On the other hand, I'm starting to believe we are completely fucked as a society.
FWIW I'm almost certain eSports won't last nor will the twitch boom.. at least not at the level it's at now.
I'm surprised it's been going on as long as it has, tbh. I mean, it's kind of like this for me. I like watching NBA basketball games. Every decade or so a transformative player enters the league with unbelievable natural ability that really hasn't been seen before and elevates what we view as possible to a new level.

Michael Jordan's Free throw line dunk was amazing at the time, but how many times have we all seen it since? Quite a few times, and we've seen even more unbelievable shit since then. The level just continues to get pushed up. With e-sports the level is only ever going to be as high as a programmer has programmed it to be in the game. That nba player in the video game is only ever going to be able to jump as high or as far as the programmer predetermined. Never any higher or further. That is the best it ever will be. The guns will only shoot as fast or accurately as has been programmed and the players are only going to be able to move as fast or agile as they are programmed to. This is why I think there is a shelf life on e-sports. I think it will continue to be a thing for a long time, but I'm not convinced it will continue to be a popular as it is. Frankly, it's boring as shit to watch people play these games to me most of the time.

Maybe someday games will be programmed different. Maybe the games will have some ability to self adapt and change the parameters of the game to become more lifelike. :shrug: I'm guessing the AI already exists for that to happen to a degree. It just might not currently be better than what a programmer can do with a patch every so often.
This is what I think the most.. games, the way they play and are played is going to change so much.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:48 pm
Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:03 pm

I will agree that his gameplay is something else, he is a pioneer in that respect. I still don't understand how they can function like they do when gaming...

I have to admit I never thought I'd be into streaming but I do find myself often watching clips on youtube. I will check out Nickmercs as I'm not familiar.
Just think about how many hours every single day a guy has to play that one game to get that good at it? Some people might liken that to a professional athlete, but is it? Or is it just a fucking addiction with a sprinkle of narcissism? And how in the fuck isn't he like 600lbs?!

Do you think he ever just gets sick of Fortnite? Like, he just wakes up and dreads having to crawl into the recliner with a red bull and a cup o'noodles to punch in for another 18 hour session of Fortnite. Not to mention, have it all filmed and posted on YouTube? I bet he hasn't showered in years. His hair is probably brown, but just gradually has turned this color from all the red bull and sub-par hygiene practices...
100 times this. This kid has to hate his fucking life. I get tired/ bored after 45 mins.. I can't imagine 18 hour sessions.

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

He's a huge bro so be prepared.

I also never thought I'd be into streaming... :?
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

salamander wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:57 pm

I find myself not minding the bros on youtubes as much anymore... what's happening to me..

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:00 pm
salamander wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:57 pm

I find myself not minding the bros on youtubes as much anymore... what's happening to me..
You're getting old. We're all getting old. :mute:
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:48 pm Do you think he ever just gets sick of Fortnite? Like, he just wakes up and dreads having to crawl into the recliner with a red bull and a cup o'noodles to punch in for another 18 hour session of Fortnite. Not to mention, have it all filmed and posted on YouTube? I bet he hasn't showered in years. His hair is probably brown, but just gradually has turned this color from all the red bull and sub-par hygiene practices...
Yeah, I quit watching him awhile ago because he used to be excited about wins and is like, "meh" now. There's a whole youtube video that points out how Ninja isn't playing the game to have fun anymore.

He's probably got days that he dreads it. He doesn't take weekends off either.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:41 pm
Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:23 pm
Just think about how many hours every single day a guy has to play that one game to get that good at it? Some people might liken that to a professional athlete, but is it? Or is it just a fucking addiction with a sprinkle of narcissism? And how in the fuck isn't he like 600lbs?!

Do you think he ever just gets sick of Fortnite? Like, he just wakes up and dreads having to crawl into the recliner with a red bull and a cup o'noodles to punch in for another 18 hour session of Fortnite. Not to mention, have it all filmed and posted on YouTube? I bet he hasn't showered in years. His hair is probably brown, but just gradually has turned this color from all the red bull and sub-par hygiene practices...
100 times this. This kid has to hate his fucking life. I get tired/ bored after 45 mins.. I can't imagine 18 hour sessions.
Now imagine how many 14 year olds are out there who just do this all summer and half the school year long. They don't get paid, they just do it. WTF is wrong with them?! I mean, I played games when I was 14, a lot of them, but there's no way I could play that much. I played other things, like basketball, or baseball, or with myself. Those things were equally as fun.
Nothing like a Summer of spanking the monkey and gaming. :thumbsup:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

I have never watched someone else play video games on YouTube. I hope this helps.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:41 pm
Mandatory wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:23 pm

Now imagine how many 14 year olds are out there who just do this all summer and half the school year long. They don't get paid, they just do it. WTF is wrong with them?! I mean, I played games when I was 14, a lot of them, but there's no way I could play that much. I played other things, like basketball, or baseball, or with myself. Those things were equally as fun.
:shock: