Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Are there any other Western themed games that are any good?

Video game themed message board
Cobey
Trouble

Re: Are there any other Western themed games that are any good?

Post by Cobey »

Gun was fun at the time, but you're right. It wouldn't hold up.

May I suggest Oregon Trail?
Den Den

Post by Den Den »

Custer's Revenge
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I played Gun AFTER Red Dead Revolver ( which is the superior game out of all four RDR titles). Gun was alright. I enjoyed it on PS2. I certainly wouldn't go back and play it now.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Vulcan Vidiot

Post by Vulcan Vidiot »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:00 pm I played Gun AFTER Red Dead Revolver ( which is the superior game out of all four RDR titles). Gun was alright. I enjoyed it on PS2. I certainly wouldn't go back and play it now.
Agree and disagree about Red Dead Revolver.

I thought the game was really fun, but the scope of it was tiny in comparison. The quick draw matches were awesome, but the story was too linear and too short when comparing the last two games.

Overall, I thought Revolver was a really fun game. It didn't take it's self as seriously as the last two. The Redemption games are basically Revolver meets GTA, and I like that set up much more.
I have the unique privilege of having my avatar bestowed upon me by The Great and Powerful Abe.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:13 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:00 pm I played Gun AFTER Red Dead Revolver ( which is the superior game out of all four RDR titles). Gun was alright. I enjoyed it on PS2. I certainly wouldn't go back and play it now.
When you say 4...

Revolver
?
Undead. Isn't that it's own game? I never bought it, but I played it or rather my buddy was playing it around the time of the COD Zombies thing was big. I thought you had to find the antidote for the zombie thing. Idk, anyway that's the 4th I was referencing.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Vulcan Vidiot wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:46 pm
Agree and disagree about Red Dead Revolver.

I thought the game was really fun, but the scope of it was tiny in comparison. The quick draw matches were awesome, but the story was too linear and too short when comparing the last two games.

Overall, I thought Revolver was a really fun game. It didn't take it's self as seriously as the last two. The Redemption games are basically Revolver meets GTA, and I like that set up much more.
Yeah, There's more replayability with the Redemptions.

I grew up on NES and SNES so I like games with a good boss battle. Revolver had cool bosses, cool missions that felt more like "beating a level", and you played as different people in the story. It was harder to beat.

Redemptions you just buy more ammo, ride your horse to wherever and it might take two tries to get the bad guys. Even if it's a "boss", there's nothing special about them. They just have a bigger gang with better weapons.

I like the aspect of the Redemptions where the story is only part of the fun of playing. But often, I feel like its a chore to beat them. Ride here, ride there, watch cut screen, chase somebody, hogtie them, mission over.

Revolver felt like it was a singular, linear story, and that was it.

I've always liked reading books, especially as a kid before the internet, so looking back now, I felt like a lot of games were books you got to play out. Now it feels like the player is the one writing the book and I dont find that as entertaining. $.02

Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:16 am
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:39 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:13 pm

When you say 4...

Revolver
?
Undead. Isn't that it's own game? I never bought it, but I played it or rather my buddy was playing it around the time of the COD Zombies thing was big. I thought you had to find the antidote for the zombie thing. Idk, anyway that's the 4th I was referencing.
Idk if you could buy it on it's own or not but it's a dlc.
I saw the disc at Gamestop when I bought my 360. This was in the twilight years of the 360, just before the next gens came out, so Idk.

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I like Compass Point West on my phone, but the devs quit on that game a long time ago.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:48 am
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:49 am

I saw the disc at Gamestop when I bought my 360. This was in the twilight years of the 360, just before the next gens came out, so Idk.
Could be. Didn't they release dlc on discs for a while in the 360 years for some of the bigger ones. Seems to me knights of the nine and shivering isles could be gotten on disc for like $20 a piece for TES Oblivion.
Yeah, maybe. I dont know for sure. I just said I got a 360 in the twilight years, years after RDR1 and Undead had already been out. Then I just splurged on a PS4 this summer in August. I made a whole thread about it. You commented in it. So maybe there's only three RDR titles. I personally liked Revolver the most, and in my reply to VV I stated why I liked that one the most.

Herky

Post by Herky »

Not a total Western game but Fallout: New Vegas had a Western feel to it.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:48 am
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:49 am

Could be. Didn't they release dlc on discs for a while in the 360 years for some of the bigger ones. Seems to me knights of the nine and shivering isles could be gotten on disc for like $20 a piece for TES Oblivion.
I know Shivering Isles could be bought on disc.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Herky wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:36 pm Not a total Western game but Fallout: New Vegas had a Western feel to it.
Ah, the best of all the Fallouts.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.