Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Thinking about caving and joining you nerds

Video game themed message board
Cobey
Trouble

Thinking about caving and joining you nerds

Post by Cobey »

My last gaming console was a Nintendo Wii. Never really got super into it, but I'd maybe like to get one now. I'd probably like to get into it on the cheap.

For games, I'd probably really only be interested in sports games, maybe a few shooters, Forza looks bad ass

What console would you recommend and where would you recommend I look for it?
Cobey
Trouble

Re: Thinking about caving and joining you nerds

Post by Cobey »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:43 pm
Cobey wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:05 pm My last gaming console was a Nintendo Wii. Never really got super into it, but I'd maybe like to get one now. I'd probably like to get into it on the cheap.

For games, I'd probably really only be interested in sports games, maybe a few shooters, Forza looks bad ass

What console would you recommend and where would you recommend I look for it?
Wait and see what deals they have on consoles for black friday and cyber monday. There's usually something good. Madden and NBA 2k usually are about half price, along with a few recently released popular games at Best Buy. For getting in on the cheap, just get an Xbox One S or a PS4 Slim. Both are pretty good, and won't break the bank. If you are only buying one of them, and don't already have any Xbox 360 or Original Xbox games in your library, the overwhelmingly obvious choice for you is the PS4. Unless you can score a crazy deal on an Xbox. Both share the same 3rd party games for the most part, but PS4 has a huge edge on exclusive games.

Good games that you should be able to find on the cheap:

Horizon Zero Dawn
The Last of Us Remastered
GTA V
Skyrim
Fallout 4
Any of last year's sports titles
Honestly, There are a shit ton of good games for the PS4. Just look here to give yourself and idea.

https://www.gamestop.com/browse/games/p ... c-ffff2418

Just make sure you get Red Dead Redemption 2.

Forza is about the only Xbox exclusive that is worth a damn, so you won't get that for PS4, but they do have Gran Turismo, Need for Speed and several other options that are still pretty decent.

One thing you might want to consider is this. There are pretty trustworthy reports that the next gen systems are likely going to be out within the next 18 months to 2 years. If you want to stay current, and not have to reinvest into another console, it might be worth waiting. I wouldn't though. There is a lot of good shit out for this generation, and you can find some amazing games that are just a couple years old for cheap since you haven't played them yet. Even after the next gen is out, I think they will still make games for this gen for at least the following 2 years. By then you might be ready to upgrade anyway.

Oh, last thing. If you think you'd actually use the thing on the go, take a look at the Switch. It doesn't have as many games out for it as the other two, and is missing Madden and some other sports games, but the Nintendo 1st party games are usually pretty fun, and being able to have a console quality experience on the go is pretty fucking awesome. It's been really nice for long ass shopping trips with my wife for me. I just drop her off at the door, and go find a nice quiet spot in the parking lot. Flip on the amazon prime video or Directv app on the phone, and fire up the Switch for some gaming. It's almost as good as being at home, where I should be... but she made me go with... because she wants me to hate my life.

Good luck!
I'm definitely not fighting a soccer mom on Black Friday for one of these fucking things.

So my question to you after reading this is how good is Forza compared to the other racing games? I hear that it's supposed to be incredible. That, the WWE 2k game, UFC and probably Madden, NBA, an MLB game and probably some games similar to GTA are probably going to be my staples.

I wasn't aware that Forza was Xbox exclusive. Plus I think my brothers may have Xbox's and do the online thing, so that may influence the decision too. I'll watch the deals and probably pull the trigger on an impulse
laX

Post by laX »

get a ps4

xbox controls are for retarded people
i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting
salamander

Post by salamander »

Cobey wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:56 pm So my question to you after reading this is how good is Forza compared to the other racing games? I hear that it's supposed to be incredible. That, the WWE 2k game, UFC and probably Madden, NBA, an MLB game and probably some games similar to GTA are probably going to be my staples.

I wasn't aware that Forza was Xbox exclusive. Plus I think my brothers may have Xbox's and do the online thing, so that may influence the decision too. I'll watch the deals and probably pull the trigger on an impulse
I'd recommend the Gran Turismo series all day, every day. It's been the gold standard for racing games since the late 90's. Every other racing game is compared to Gran Turismo for a reason. It's the best racing series of all time. There's tons of customization you can do to your cars and there are an incredible amount of cars to choose from. The shear volume of content means you'll have fresh cars to race with all the time. Many cars vary in how they feel.

Ultimately this means you'll be getting a PS4.

What makes the PS4 the better choice for racing games is also that you can also get DiRT which is the hands down best rally racing series on the market.

Forza is a good racing game but it's super over rated. The racing itself is slick but it gets pretty bland as you play. The game play makes Forza a fine game but the whole package comes no where close to GT. A lot of Forza fans are frustrated with the series right now.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I would go probably Xbox then. IGN gave Forza Horizon 4 a 9.6/10. I think the Xbox One S can be had for pretty cheap, especially if you get it with a holiday deal type thing. PS4 has the only official licensed baseball product in The Show. Not sure how much that'll swing ya.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I agree with YBBR. Go X. Especially if you have someone you can play with also.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Thanks for the tips/advice everybody. I'm waffling between the two...Target has the Spider-Man PS4 bundle (bundaru) for black Friday for $199. Haven't seen anybody doing anything for Xbox yet, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for it. I don't really want to go through the Black Friday mobs, but Mrs Cobey usually goes anyway, so I could probably suck it up...
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Cobey wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:58 am Thanks for the tips/advice everybody. I'm waffling between the two...Target has the Spider-Man PS4 bundle (bundaru) for black Friday for $199. Haven't seen anybody doing anything for Xbox yet, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for it. I don't really want to go through the Black Friday mobs, but Mrs Cobey usually goes anyway, so I could probably suck it up...
That's a good deal. Spider-Man was pretty damn fun too. They're might be some online deals to look out for if you don't want to go to any Black Friday crap.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

YBBR wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:19 am
Cobey wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:58 am Thanks for the tips/advice everybody. I'm waffling between the two...Target has the Spider-Man PS4 bundle (bundaru) for black Friday for $199. Haven't seen anybody doing anything for Xbox yet, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for it. I don't really want to go through the Black Friday mobs, but Mrs Cobey usually goes anyway, so I could probably suck it up...
That's a good deal. Spider-Man was pretty damn fun too. They're might be some online deals to look out for if you don't want to go to any Black Friday crap.
Yeah, that's my hope.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Xbox has the same deal going but with Minecraft instead of Spider man.

You won't have to worry about BF. Most of these deals will go live before and you can buy them online on BF.

Who goes inside a store anymore? :shrug:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

laX wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:05 pm get a ps4

"Controls"? Are you 100?

Hopefully he can find him some paddles for that Atari. :lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
laX

Post by laX »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 am
laX wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:05 pm get a ps4

"Controls"? Are you 100?

Hopefully he can find him some paddles for that Atari. :lol:
ooooh boy, that was a knee slapper!
i was hoping to see some gifs of people shitting
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

My NES stopped working for a lot of my games. I blow on the cartridges but it's not helping. Any technical advice?

Also, I want to shoot the ducks from further away but the gun can only be stretched as long as the wire, any ideas?
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:24 pm
salamander wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:22 pm
Cobey wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:56 pm So my question to you after reading this is how good is Forza compared to the other racing games? I hear that it's supposed to be incredible. That, the WWE 2k game, UFC and probably Madden, NBA, an MLB game and probably some games similar to GTA are probably going to be my staples.

I'd recommend the Gran Turismo series all day, every day. It's been the gold standard for racing games since the late 90's. Every other racing game is compared to Gran Turismo for a reason. It's the best racing series of all time. There's tons of customization you can do to your cars and there are an incredible amount of cars to choose from. The shear volume of content means you'll have fresh cars to race with all the time. Many cars vary in how they feel.

Ultimately this means you'll be getting a PS4.

What makes the PS4 the better choice for racing games is also that you can also get DiRT which is the hands down best rally racing series on the market.

Forza is a good racing game but it's super over rated. The racing itself is slick but it gets pretty bland as you play. The game play makes Forza a fine game but the whole package comes no where close to GT. A lot of Forza fans are frustrated with the series right now.
Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport are pretty similar franchises. Dirt is a fun game, but Forza Horizon 4 allows you to choose from Supercars to classic muscle cars, to hatchbacks, to dirt bikes, to Rally cars, to new muscle cars... Basically it's a hybrid of Forza Motorsport/Gran Turismo and Dirt in and open world. It's different than a lot of games, but in a good way. I'm not for or against any of the consoles, I have all of them and I play each of them often for different reasons. I just don't think Gran Turismo is any better or worse than Forza Motorsport, and Dirt isn't really any better than Forza Horizon other than it might be a little more indepth in the rally car experience.

Also, you can get Dirt for Xbox One

I did not know DiRT 4 was also for Xbox, nice.
Also never played Forza Horizon. Good to know.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:16 pm Target, Best Buy, and Walmart's Black Friday ads have leaked. Just google for them. Looks like PS4 and XB1 bundles are going to be $200. Spiderman comes with the PS4 bundle, I'm not sure what game comes with the XB1 bundle. Also, loads of $60 games for $20-25 this year.
Minecraft with X1
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:50 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:19 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:16 pm Target, Best Buy, and Walmart's Black Friday ads have leaked. Just google for them. Looks like PS4 and XB1 bundles are going to be $200. Spiderman comes with the PS4 bundle, I'm not sure what game comes with the XB1 bundle. Also, loads of $60 games for $20-25 this year.
Minecraft with X1
Seems like the PS4 is a slightly better value then. Hasn't Minecraft been out for a long time? I can't imagine that game costs more than $30 new.
Minecraft was only like 20 bucks the day it came out. It was a indie game. Yes Spiderman is the better value but in a year or so Spiderman won't be worth anything either.

I wouldn't let the free game sway me unless I really wanted it. Cobey no ver mentioned getting Spiderman with the list of games he wanted I don't believe.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:01 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:13 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Seems like the PS4 is a slightly better value then. Hasn't Minecraft been out for a long time? I can't imagine that game costs more than $30 new.
Minecraft was only like 20 bucks the day it came out. It was a indie game. Yes Spiderman is the better value but in a year or so Spiderman won't be worth anything either.

I wouldn't let the free game sway me unless I really wanted it. Cobey no ver mentioned getting Spiderman with the list of games he wanted I don't believe.
I wasn't speaking in terms of what he should get. It sounds like his family and friends have XB1's so that's what I'd get of I were him, and for the record, I love and own both systems.

I was just pointing out how Sony's bundle is the better value. It just surprises me because Microsoft is definitely in 2nd place this gen, and you'd think they'd want to try a little harder to get people to buy their system. :shrug:
Yes I agree with Abe here. You should go with what your family and friends have. They are really close to the same other than a handful of games.

I'm partial to the Xbox because I love the Backwards Compatibility. I spend a lot of my time playing older games but some are not interested in that. You can play a bunch of last gen games if you didn't have the chance before.

PS4 has the better exclusives. Other than that, they are about the same.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:21 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:12 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:01 pm
I wasn't speaking in terms of what he should get. It sounds like his family and friends have XB1's so that's what I'd get of I were him, and for the record, I love and own both systems.

I was just pointing out how Sony's bundle is the better value. It just surprises me because Microsoft is definitely in 2nd place this gen, and you'd think they'd want to try a little harder to get people to buy their system. :shrug:
Yes I agree with Abe here. You should go with what your family and friends have. They are really close to the same other than a handful of games.

I'm partial to the Xbox because I love the Backwards Compatibility. I spend a lot of my time playing older games but some are not interested in that. You can play a bunch of last gen games if you didn't have the chance before.

I can't repeat myself enough when it comes to how awesome the XB1X's enhanced versions of their backwards compatible game catalog is. It totally changed several of the games I've played from being pretty decent to HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME! Red Dead Redemption is fucking mind blowing how much better it looks. The XB1S does something like 4x improved resolution on enhanced games, but the XB1X does 16x. I had that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I walked out with my XB1X due to the price, but after playing through several original xbox, 360, and older XB1 games I already own and seeing the difference, it honestly feels like it was the better purchase for me. My PS4 Pro is great too, but having to pay for that subscription in order to play through older games I already own is just a deal breaker for me. The Pro's enhancements on PS4 games look good, but I guess I'll never be able to see how the enhanced version of the same game compares. From what I've read, the Xbox is doing much better when it comes to backwards compatibility though.
I wonder if the next gen Xbox will have this feature.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

LordNu wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:07 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:21 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:12 pm

I can't repeat myself enough when it comes to how awesome the XB1X's enhanced versions of their backwards compatible game catalog is. It totally changed several of the games I've played from being pretty decent to HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME! Red Dead Redemption is fucking mind blowing how much better it looks. The XB1S does something like 4x improved resolution on enhanced games, but the XB1X does 16x. I had that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I walked out with my XB1X due to the price, but after playing through several original xbox, 360, and older XB1 games I already own and seeing the difference, it honestly feels like it was the better purchase for me. My PS4 Pro is great too, but having to pay for that subscription in order to play through older games I already own is just a deal breaker for me. The Pro's enhancements on PS4 games look good, but I guess I'll never be able to see how the enhanced version of the same game compares. From what I've read, the Xbox is doing much better when it comes to backwards compatibility though.
I wonder if the next gen Xbox will have this feature.
All consoles will have it going foward. PS5 will also play PS4. Everything is on the X86 architecture now. Gone are the days of consoles being unique. They are all just basically underpowered PCs now with off the shelf parts.

That's one of the reasons PS4 doesn't have BC. The Cell on PS3 was a bitch. It's still hardly able to be emulated on top of the line PCs.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

The Xbox One X is the only native 4K machine. The Pro gets there through some back doors but it's not as powerful. Next Gen all this stuff will be standard probably. I can't imagine it not.

I still think next gen is likely holiday 2020. So not for another 2 years or so.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

PlayStation does have better exclusives in God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn etc...

But if you're focusing on more sports games, Microsoft does have Horizon and you can play with your brothers who have that same platform. That does go a long way with sports games. You can talk shit and play together.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

YBBR wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:46 pm The Xbox One X is the only native 4K machine. The Pro gets there through some back doors but it's not as powerful. Next Gen all this stuff will be standard probably. I can't imagine it not.

I still think next gen is likely holiday 2020. So not for another 2 years or so.
Won't be any later than 2020. I suspect then also. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony tries to get theirs out Holiday of 2019 though.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:51 pm
YBBR wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:46 pm The Xbox One X is the only native 4K machine. The Pro gets there through some back doors but it's not as powerful. Next Gen all this stuff will be standard probably. I can't imagine it not.

Won't be any later than 2020. I suspect then also. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony tries to get theirs out Holiday of 2019 though.
I haven't heard that they are that far along...though maybe? If it's a year out you usually here more rumblings than this right? Maybe by next E3 we get a timetable or at least an acknowledgement of how far away.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Still impressed by these machines for the most part. Games like Red Dead and God of War this year makes me go yep they still haven't really hit the cap on these systems yet. The games look GOOD.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

YBBR wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:53 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:51 pm

I haven't heard that they are that far along...though maybe? If it's a year out you usually here more rumblings than this right? Maybe by next E3 we get a timetable or at least an acknowledgement of how far away.
Well development PS5 kits have been out the last couple of year's. They have no exclusives left to show other than the ones coming out that they have announced.

They called off PSX this December. Many think they are going to announce it this spring. They announced PS4 in February. I agre that they probably go 2020 but there are a lot of rumors and talk about 2019.

Either way, this gen is winding down.

They might just stick it to MS. MS pretty much said they are releasing in 2020. If Sony gets a year jump, it will be over before it gets started for MS.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:05 pm I don't think this gen is capped out but I think it's going to end before it really does. What I heard is that all of Microsoft's new 1st party developers are focusing entierly on next gen. So, thats like 8 studios who aren't making current gen games. Microsoft realizes there isn't enough time to catch PlayStation, so they are trying to make the most of their early lineup games coming out of the gates with the next gen. Fortunately, 3rd party games are still going to get made, and whatever games that were already in development for current gen are still slated to come out. I think 18 months to 2 years is realistic.
Bethesda has already shown that they are working on new Elder Scrolls etc and said it was all for next gen.

This generation will already be 6 year's old in 2019. That's the second longest gen other than last gen which was only a year longer.

The reason it feels so short is hardly any games come out except from the yearly shit that comes out.

Look at Rockstar, they have ONE game out right now and the gen is 5 year's old! They put a game out every year last gen.

Games are taking longer and longer to make and are costing more and more money.

This is the last gen for me. I'm hanging it up after this. Only a handful of games come out that interest me anymore.

Rumor is Rockstar is going to get Bully 2 out also. I would love that. It's really sad if we don't get a GTA at all this gen. That could be the case.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:21 pm I can't repeat myself enough when it comes to how awesome the XB1X's enhanced versions of their backwards compatible game catalog is.
I've always thought that backwards compatibility is super under rated.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:05 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:05 pm I don't think this gen is capped out but I think it's going to end before it really does. What I heard is that all of Microsoft's new 1st party developers are focusing entierly on next gen. So, thats like 8 studios who aren't making current gen games. Microsoft realizes there isn't enough time to catch PlayStation, so they are trying to make the most of their early lineup games coming out of the gates with the next gen. Fortunately, 3rd party games are still going to get made, and whatever games that were already in development for current gen are still slated to come out. I think 18 months to 2 years is realistic.
Bethesda has already shown that they are working on new Elder Scrolls etc and said it was all for next gen.

This generation will already be 6 year's old in 2019. That's the second longest gen other than last gen which was only a year longer.

The reason it feels so short is hardly any games come out except from the yearly shit that comes out.

Look at Rockstar, they have ONE game out right now and the gen is 5 year's old! They put a game out every year last gen.

Games are taking longer and longer to make and are costing more and more money.

This is the last gen for me. I'm hanging it up after this. Only a handful of games come out that interest me anymore.

Rumor is Rockstar is going to get Bully 2 out also. I would love that. It's really sad if we don't get a GTA at all this gen. That could be the case.
I'll probably still get a Playstation and Nintendo after this gen, but it's going to take something compelling for me to reinvest in Xbox. The reason being, Xbox has been pushing their Xbox play Anywhere thing. I've wanted to invest in a gaming PC for years now, but I haven't really needed a new PC, and I and already had all of the consoles so it just didn't make a lot of sense. By the time the next gen comes out, I'll be about due for a new PC, and since Microsoft 1st party games can be played on the PC I think it would be better to just buy a good PC. Pretty much any 3rd party game should be able to be gotten for PS4 if I can't get it on PC, or want the console experience. I guess I just think Microsoft is basically trying to get rid of the hardware and just move through the PC market with an app or something like that. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Xbox is the last one they make before going full into the PC side.
I think this next gen will be the last console cycle for both Sony and Microsoft. Games are moving to a service model like Netflix etc..
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:55 am
salamander wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:52 am
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:21 pm I can't repeat myself enough when it comes to how awesome the XB1X's enhanced versions of their backwards compatible game catalog is.
I've always thought that backwards compatibility is super under rated.
Normally, once a new console comes out, I truly believe I'm going to still play my old games, but I never do. It's different with the enhanced versions though. It just breathes life back into them. I hope it's something they continue to do with the next gen consoles and beyond.
For sure. I tend not to play older games a ton but there are a few I'll pick up.
Especially when they're about 20 years old.
Cobey
Trouble

Post by Cobey »

Well...Target started some of their BF shit early. Sooo....as of yesterday afternoon, I am now the proud owner of.....
Spoiler:
a PlayStation 4 Spider-Man Bundaru