Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fallout 76

Video game themed message board
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Re: Fallout 76

Post by Mandatory »

I've never played this game and I don't have any intention to even though I own it. I do think this was a massive mistake by Bethesda in the name of a cash grab.

That being said, this was cobbled together with assets from FO4 and is really a standalone game. I do think its partly our fault as fans for thinking this was FO5 or indicative of where the series is going. They've said they're still making FO5 which will not be online. But at the same time, what did they expect?!
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Their internal studios are currently working on Starfield which won't be out for it seems like a couple more years and then they are going to turn their attention towards Elder Scrolls VI. I would be pretty shocked if we saw a new fallout for like at least 6-7 more years.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Also I'm not touching a game with that shitty tech they are using. Starfield better have new shit.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
salamander

Post by salamander »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:13 pm Oh great! Bethesda just announced a 100.00 a year subscription with features locked behind a pay wall for this shitty game! Hooray!!

Not only did they release a half baked turd of a game that you need a online sub to play from either Sony or Microsoft but now they add this!

Boy, gaming is great nowadays!
I sure love where gaming is going. You need to pay for internet. Then you need to pay to use your internet on your console that you paid for.
Now, you have to pay again to play your game you paid for, on your console that you bought and pay a fee on to use internet that you pay for.

I'm done with Bethesda and any other developers that even attempt to go this route. Paying twice (internet and to use said paid for internet on a console you paid for) is almost enough drive me up a wall. Thanks Microsuck.

I will never buy another Bethesda game again.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

salamander wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:15 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:13 pm Oh great! Bethesda just announced a 100.00 a year subscription with features locked behind a pay wall for this shitty game! Hooray!!

Not only did they release a half baked turd of a game that you need a online sub to play from either Sony or Microsoft but now they add this!

Boy, gaming is great nowadays!
I sure love where gaming is going. You need to pay for internet. Then you need to pay to use your internet on your console that you paid for.
Now, you have to pay again to play your game you paid for, on your console that you bought and pay a fee on to use internet that you pay for.

I'm done with Bethesda and any other developers that even attempt to go this route. Paying twice (internet and to use said paid for internet on a console you paid for) is almost enough drive me up a wall. Thanks Microsuck.

I will never buy another Bethesda game again.
It's kind of how we get taxed on everything. Taxed for making money, taxed for spending that money that we were already taxed on............
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Hell yeah! :thumbsup:

Fallout 76: Inside the Vault – New Arrivals Coming to Appalachia in Wastelanders

Welcome back to Inside the Vault! This week, we’re sharing introductions to the Settlers and Raiders, two new factions you will meet when our Wastelanders update arrives. We’ve also got a brief update on the Wastelanders PTS, as well as a reminder about limited-time cosmetic rewards you can claim if you’re a Twitch Prime member.
Meet the Major Wastelanders Factions

Humans are on their way back to Appalachia in our upcoming Wastelanders update but, of course, not everyone was prepared with the same exceptional training that you received inside Vault 76. Banding together with other like-minded folks and working toward common goals has given these groups a means of survival and purpose as they find new homes in the Wasteland.

The Settlers and the Raiders are two major factions you will encounter as you quest around Appalachia after the Wastelanders update, and we’d like to give you a bit of spoiler-free background on each.
The Settlers

Led by Paige, the former head of a Construction Workers Union in Washington D.C., the Settlers are a hard-working and industrious crew, primarily made up of people who are well-versed in how to construct and run a city. After hearing that Appalachia might offer some refuge from the trials of the Wasteland, they made their way into the area in hopes of finding a safe place to begin rebuilding. They broke ground at Spruce Knob, began repurposing its existing buildings, cleared the surrounding trees, and a fledgling city has begun taking shape, which they’ve dubbed “Foundation”. These Settlers may know their way around construction equipment, but they have no idea what challenges you and others have faced in Appalachia during the past year. It may be mutually beneficial to seek them out to share your experiences and lend a helping hand toward their efforts.

The Raiders are no strangers to Appalachia. At one time they even called it home. After they caught wind that people were returning to the land they once claimed for themselves, the Raiders and their leader Meg decided to come back and put a stop to anyone who would dare snatch up their rightful territory. They’ve set up a rather formidable base of operations at the Crashed Space Station that they call “Crater” and outsiders who drop by unannounced aren’t going to get a warm welcome. If you’re looking to arrange an introduction to Meg and her gang, you will need to be crafty.

At both Foundation and Crater, you will find completely revamped locations to explore, new vendors to trade with, crafting areas, and plenty of people to talk to. However, your interactions with those people will depend on your reputation with them and how they view you. Join us again next week for a look at the new Reputation system coming for Factions in Wastelanders.
The Wastelanders PTS is Under Way!

Earlier this week, we invited over 500 current Fallout 76 players to join us in a Private Test Server (PTS) to play test new content and hunt for bugs in our upcoming Wastelanders update. In the few short days that the PTS has been live, we’ve already begun receiving fantastic and in-depth feedback, as well as new bug reports to investigate.

As we’ve mentioned before, our testing needs will likely grow, and we are looking to expand on the current pool of play testers. We are planning to send an additional round of invites to the Wastelanders PTS within the next couple of weeks, and we will let you know as soon as we have more details to share.
https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/arti ... chia-in
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I might give this another shot sometime. I think I'll maybe start over though. Not sure
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:26 am I might give this another shot sometime. I think I'll maybe start over though. Not sure
Fuck Raiders!

I bought an Xbox so I can play with my brother, and I ended up starting over. It's really fun actually. I know the story already, so I can kind of just run through and do the stuff. I decided on a different build, I'm a scavenger so I have the junk to make/repair everything I need, and I have the perfect CAMP in an awesome spot. I can't wait for Wastelanders.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:16 am
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:26 am I might give this another shot sometime. I think I'll maybe start over though. Not sure
Fuck Raiders!

I bought an Xbox so I can play with my brother, and I ended up starting over. It's really fun actually. I know the story already, so I can kind of just run through and do the stuff. I decided on a different build, I'm a scavenger so I have the junk to make/repair everything I need, and I have the perfect CAMP in an awesome spot. I can't wait for Wastelanders.
Is your spot over by Deathclaw Island?
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:18 am
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:16 am
Fuck Raiders!

Is your spot over by Deathclaw Island?
Haha, no. That's where your spot is! Mine is up the hill on the defunct radio tower by Point Pleasant where the Moth man Museum is. If you look at your map, its right on the corner of the southernmost brown building that shows up for the town. It has a junk pile. Its bad ass.

Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

:humper: Two more months! Trailer is a little light, but with everything else going on, should be pretty kick ass.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Herky

Post by Herky »

I still have not purchased this....
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Herky wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:34 pm I still have not purchased this....
Pull the trigger. If you want to play sometime, I have it on both XBox and PS4.

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I popped this in to give it a go, massive update needed, can't play. Oh well.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:12 pm I popped this in to give it a go, massive update needed, can't play. Oh well.
:shrug:

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:12 pm I popped this in to give it a go, massive update needed, can't play. Oh well.
Up and running. I'm going to make a new character and start all over. It's been so long since I've played that I might as well.

Deathclaw Island here I come!
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:50 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm
Up and running. I'm going to make a new character and start all over. It's been so long since I've played that I might as well.

Deathclaw Island here I come!
I did that on XBox and its really fun. I know the story up to the point Im at on PS4, so I just run through the game with my new character. I'm pretty happy with my current setup for when Wastelanders comes out with NPC's. Plus, all the users have Vending machines you can fast travel to, so if you need plans or stuff you can get them. The bad thing, is most weapons and armor are for level 40-50 so its tough finding a suitable upgrade while you're in the infancy stages, but look for camps by Vault 76.

Man, I'm getting excited for you, and it makes me want to play when I get home.

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Did a little wandering around, built a little camp, nothing too major. Sucks being so weak with limited weapons again, but oh well.
Let's get Tropical
Herky

Post by Herky »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:36 pm
I just did! Bought it on Amazon for $13.20 after some Amazon Store Card Credits were used.

Should be here Saturday! Anything I need to do to start out and build my character?
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Herky wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:37 pm
I just did! Bought it on Amazon for $13.20 after some Amazon Store Card Credits were used.

Should be here Saturday! Anything I need to do to start out and build my character?
I just started again as it's been quite a while. Mostly exploring a bit, although I think you should probably do at least the first mission to get some things to get you going, etc.... Tommy may have a better answer than I.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Yeah, I mean when I first got it last year I just built my character however. I'd level up and however I felt at the time is what perk I'd pick. As you get along in the game, and you fuck up Legendary enemies, they drop legendary items. There are certain classes of these legendaries that fit together well depending on the 'build' of your character or how you like to play.

They've made a lot of changes since then. Before, you could only trade with other players you ran into or fast traveled to. Lots of people would post classifieds for stuff on like Reddit, then meet up on a server and trade, but it was semi-sketch. Now, you can build vending machines at your CAMP, put stuff in there you want to sell, and anyone walking by or shopping can fast travel to your place and check out your stuff. There are robot vendors around the map too, but they don't give great prices and their stuff is more pricier than what you can find other places, but they are a good place to unload some of your stuff you have for money, because you only get 800lbs storage in your box, and it varies how much your person can carry.

So anyway, maybe look online and see what kind of 'build' you want your character to be and follow the perk guidelines pretty close. My first guy on PS4 is a mutt, but he worked good for me mostly playing the story by myself unless I was helping out Abe and jffl_commish, lol. My guy on XBox is a 'Scavenger' build, meaning i always grab ALL the stuff laying about the place, and then a scrap it and have materials to build stuff, craft stuff, and repair stuff. Plus I can sell 'bulk junk' like bulk copper, bulk steel, bulk plastic, bulk cloth, ect. Before, that was the only way to sell junk to vendors. Now, as of like last week, i think you can just sell loose junk.

My CAMP (for my XBox guy) is where a 'junk pile' is. There are different "piles" throughout the map where you can place your CAMP and put an extractor on. For example, my CAMP with the junk pile extracts well..junk. Loose gears, springs, steel, cloth, ect. This works well for my character build. My PS4 CAMP is at a place with a Acid pile. Acid for example allows you to make ammo, so if you can extract it at your CAMP people who have heavy machine gun builds go through Ammo like crazy and will buy Ammo from your vending machine that you can make.

As far as playing, people aren't assholes at all on this game. In fact, if they see you on the map by Vault 76, and see you are low level, they might swing over and just give you good stuff to help you get started. People put good stuff at the OverSeer Camp (you'll find out about that right away when you play) or right outside the vault in the garage cans you see. The stuff stays in there for as long as there is one person on that server until someone snags it. You don't have to rely on other players at all. It's just cool to see people show up at your camp, dressed in cool or goofy outfits and buy stuff. People talk to you more on the mic on PS4, but people send you more messages on XBox.

I'd build a camp fairly early in the game, just to have a place to store your goods and repair stuff. You can fast travel for free to your camp, annnnd Vault 76 (if you happen to be halfway across the map and want to go somewhere close to the Vault but not pay 25 Caps, FT to the vault then FT to the place from there for like 4 Caps).

The story is pretty good. As long as you follow it for awhile, you will level-up accordingly and eventually be able to travel kind of anywhere. If you have to do something and all the bad guys are like level 50 and you are like level 13, it probably means there is a high level player around who spawned those high level enemies. Maybe switch servers or come back. If you kinda play with a high level person who does spawn high level enemies, all you have to do is hit the enemy once, and you get full experience and the loot from killing them. This happens when you join little events for loot. If you see easy-level events early and you aren't busy, do them. They usually have legendary enemies that drop stuff, plus you get good experience and good loot.

Other than that, I think you should be good Herk. You've played other FO games before. In two months NPC's are BACK! Game should feel a little more traditional then, along with the added function of other players wandering around.

Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:02 pm

I just started again as it's been quite a while. Mostly exploring a bit, although I think you should probably do at least the first mission to get some things to get you going, etc.... Tommy may have a better answer than I.
I only know so much because my brother is into this game way more then me. He's like level 250. We talk about the game on the phone and while playing so I get a better understanding how stuff works.

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Herky, what system do you have?
Let's get Tropical
Herky

Post by Herky »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:53 pm Herky, what system do you have?
Xbox One is what I bought it for.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Setup my first junkyard place, got trucked immediately by a level 95 dude. Re-spawned to get my stuff, dude killed me again. A-hole.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Herky wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:26 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:53 pm Herky, what system do you have?
Xbox One is what I bought it for.
Too bad, I have a PS4. It'd be fun to get a few of us together to take down some stuff, higher level dude help the newbs, that sort of thing.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:16 pm Setup my first junkyard place, got trucked immediately by a level 95 dude. Re-spawned to get my stuff, dude killed me again. A-hole.
Hahaha! What a dick. There's lesson here for Herky. If you take over a "workshop", players can steal it and activate PvP.

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:31 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:16 pm Setup my first junkyard place, got trucked immediately by a level 95 dude. Re-spawned to get my stuff, dude killed me again. A-hole.
Hahaha! What a dick. There's lesson here for Herky. If you take over a "workshop", players can steal it and activate PvP.
Yeah, there was no need to kill me the second time. I wasn't going to be able to take it back over from him.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Some of the houses people make are really incredible. I went around to a bunch today just checking them out. Found one vendor one that was selling everything for $1, so I loaded up on the plans and recipes he had.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:55 pm Some of the houses people make are really incredible. I went around to a bunch today just checking them out. Found one vendor one that was selling everything for $1, so I loaded up on the plans and recipes he had.
Nice! Some people are way over priced on their wares. Its almost like they hope one sucker overpays, and it will cover them for awhile.

If I was starting out again, I'd build a CAMP and put down a bunch of water purifiers. Then I would go to the vendor in Flatwoods, or any train station (they all have vendors) and theb sellthe purified water for $4 a piece along with all the pipe pistols and hunting rifles you get.

If you're on for a couple hours, keep going back to your camp and accumulate the max purified water every hour so they refill and before you log off go sell them. Sell your drugs too. They are mostly unnecessary early on. Then in a few days you should have some caps to work with, to buy a bunch more cheap plans and loot to help you out along your travels through the Wastelands.