Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fallout 76

Video game themed message board
salamander

Re: Fallout 76

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:02 pm
salamander wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:20 pm I honestly am not a huge fan of the building in fallout. It was neat in FO4 but when I saw that it was there in 76 my heart sank a bit.
"Oh, great" I thought.
I geek out on that shit.
I tried to and enjoyed it for a bit but got so sick of scavenging to build.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:18 pm
Mandatory wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:54 am Just realized this game out two days ago.. lol.
Since I just finished RDR2, I'm thinking about trying it out.... I wanted to wait for a few weeks just to see what people said about it first... :thinking:
The reviews are really bad and reddit says its soo buggy it's nearly unplayable.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

salamander wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:20 pm So, semi sappy post warning.

I'm a life long Fallout fan, started on 3, fell in love with NV, went back and played the first 2, still enjoy 4 for what it is. And, like the majority on here, I'm enjoying 76. I got to level 20 in the beta, got my friends into it, even some skeptics, and am almost level 50. I have my share of gripes with the game: Stash size, frame rate, vendor cap limit; but none of them have truly detracted from my enjoyment of it.

Now, the way I saw a new side of Fallout was through my girlfriend. The girl, bless her heart, is not good at video games. She loves them, she admits she is bad at them, but she loves them. She bought a PS4 to play the new Spiderman game, the new Spyro trilogy, and sometimes Fortnite (yeah yeah I know) with me and a few friends. Anyway, onto the story.

She has never touched or heard of Fallout until she watched me play it. Tonight, she surprised me with a Snapchat showing she bought the game today and had downloaded it while waiting for me to get off work, saying how she wanted to learn to play it. I showed her how to make a character and then booted up my game to join her world, explaining some good beginner stuff while I did. I met her outside the Vault, got her a gun and machete and told her "You pick a direction." So she did, and we ended up at the lighthouse near the vault. We killed a few enemies, did the Mothman event, and she learned about healing, looting, and crafting. She asked me if we could build a cabin in the woods, and when I told her yes she was super happy. So we built a two story cabin with a kitchen and garden (her two favorite things in life, aside from being a nurse) and... That's it. We spent the rest of the night with her cooking, crafting what she could, adding decorations to the house, and tending her garden. Only occasionally fending off attackers. We even helped another new player by giving him food and water as he passed by. She asked me if she could always do this if she didn't feel like killing, and was so happy I told her she theoretically could.

I spend so much time in this game looting, killing, grinding, and crafting that I forget it can be very relaxing and a (borderline) Sims like game. That being said... I'm gonna do my best to give her a little taste of the bloodlust tomorrow. See if my post apocalyptic housewife can become my raider queen.

War, war never changes
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:51 pm

I'm a life long Fallout fan, started on 3, fell in love with NV, went back and played the first 2, still enjoy 4 for what it is. And, like the majority on here, I'm enjoying 76. I got to level 20 in the beta, got my friends into it, even some skeptics, and am almost level 50. I have my share of gripes with the game: Stash size, frame rate, vendor cap limit; but none of them have truly detracted from my enjoyment of it.

Now, the way I saw a new side of Fallout was through my girlfriend. The girl, bless her heart, is not good at video games. She loves them, she admits she is bad at them, but she loves them. She bought a PS4 to play the new Spiderman game, the new Spyro trilogy, and sometimes Fortnite (yeah yeah I know) with me and a few friends. Anyway, onto the story.

She has never touched or heard of Fallout until she watched me play it. Tonight, she surprised me with a Snapchat showing she bought the game today and had downloaded it while waiting for me to get off work, saying how she wanted to learn to play it. I showed her how to make a character and then booted up my game to join her world, explaining some good beginner stuff while I did. I met her outside the Vault, got her a gun and machete and told her "You pick a direction." So she did, and we ended up at the lighthouse near the vault. We killed a few enemies, did the Mothman event, and she learned about healing, looting, and crafting. She asked me if we could build a cabin in the woods, and when I told her yes she was super happy. So we built a two story cabin with a kitchen and garden (her two favorite things in life, aside from being a nurse) and... That's it. We spent the rest of the night with her cooking, crafting what she could, adding decorations to the house, and tending her garden. Only occasionally fending off attackers. We even helped another new player by giving him food and water as he passed by. She asked me if she could always do this if she didn't feel like killing, and was so happy I told her she theoretically could.

I spend so much time in this game looting, killing, grinding, and crafting that I forget it can be very relaxing and a (borderline) Sims like game. That being said... I'm gonna do my best to give her a little taste of the bloodlust tomorrow. See if my post apocalyptic housewife can become my raider queen.

War, war never changes
salamander didn't post that in here. Where did this come from?

#BaltimoreStrong
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

This is up for $40 from Playstation today. Worth it? Or nah?
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:17 am This is up for $40 from Playstation today. Worth it? Or nah?
Black Friday deal? Check your notifications, I also got a 15 dollar credit from them yesterday for some reason.

If you can get it for 25 then why not.

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Fuck this trash game. Go spend your 25 bucks on Dead Cells. Now that's a purchase worth making.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:13 pm
Mandatory wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:45 am
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:17 am This is up for $40 from Playstation today. Worth it? Or nah?
Black Friday deal? Check your notifications, I also got a 15 dollar credit from them yesterday for some reason.

If you can get it for 25 then why not.
I'm waiting. I managed to drop about $2000 this weekend on games, a car, a couch, and a TV... So... I'm waiting... But even if I wasn't broke as shit right now I'd still wait. Broken games arent even worth $25. Bethesda needs to hear this message loud and clear.
I wont be buying it ever. They dropped the price again, now to $35. Not a good sign. They shit on their true fans as far as I'm concerned.

I know OP was really pumped so hope he gets a deal.

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

It's a Fallout game they gutted all the content from but still left all the bugs.

Maybe they will support it well and then it around with time, but from the outset this thing is not worth your money. Bottom line.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
salamander

Post by salamander »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:34 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:51 pm

War, war never changes
salamander didn't post that in here. Where did this come from?
I'm wondering the same thing. This is not my post.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Game sounds like a damn mess.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I talked to my Bro last night, and he talked me into buying this game today.

He says it got a bad rap online, he doesn't get kicked off the server nearly as much as in RDR2, and people aren't assholes, like in RDR2.

Plus, RDR2O Beta is boring as shit right now. Im tired of hunting amd playing PVP. So hopefully this game pans out for me. I'll give my synopsis in a few days.

Disclaimer- I'm not a diehard FO guy. I've only played FO NV and loved it. Oblivion and Skyrim are great. I hope this game has the essence of all those games, even though everyone is shitting on it.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:20 pm I talked to my Bro last night, and he talked me into buying this game today.

He says it got a bad rap online, he doesn't get kicked off the server nearly as much as in RDR2, and people aren't assholes, like in RDR2.

Plus, RDR2O Beta is boring as shit right now. Im tired of hunting amd playing PVP. So hopefully this game pans out for me. I'll give my synopsis in a few days.

Disclaimer- I'm not a diehard FO guy. I've only played FO NV and loved it. Oblivion and Skyrim are great. I hope this game has the essence of all those games, even though everyone is shitting on it.
I think it got a little too much heat but some of it is much deserved. I haven't "loved" a FO game since New Vegas. I liked 3 and 4 and the beta for 76 just didn't really do it for me so I ended up not even getting it.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I bought the XBOXONE S bundle last month and still haven't booted this up. Of course my internet issues are part of that.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

FO 76 is a 50G Download, which by now, I only have to wait another 42 Hours. Then I get to download all the patches and updates. I hope tbis is the greatest game I've ever played.

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:28 am FO 76 is a 50G Download, which by now, I only have to wait another 42 Hours. Then I get to download all the patches and updates. I hope tbis is the greatest game I've ever played.
its terrible
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:22 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:28 am FO 76 is a 50G Download, which by now, I only have to wait another 42 Hours. Then I get to download all the patches and updates. I hope tbis is the greatest game I've ever played.
its terrible
C'mon man, you're killing my spirit here...I appreciate your honesty though.

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:18 pm
its terrible
its unbelievable terrible. Did you not check out the reviews, or ask anyone before you decided to get it?
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:29 pm

its terrible
its unbelievable terrible. Did you not check out the reviews, or ask anyone before you decided to get it?
Yeah man, I've heard. Im not a diehard Fallout guy, though so I'm just hoping it's fun, and will kill a few hours this winter.

I really enjoyed Skyrim and Oblivion. New Vegas was awesome, and the fact they will keep updating 76 leads me to believe it will have longevity and just keep getting better. Plus, my bro has it and says its fun so here I am. Besides...

Bethesda has a plan. You just have to have some God damned FAITH!

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:29 pm

Yeah man, I've heard. Im not a diehard Fallout guy, though so I'm just hoping it's fun, and will kill a few hours this winter.

I really enjoyed Skyrim and Oblivion. New Vegas was awesome, and the fact they will keep updating 76 leads me to believe it will have longevity and just keep getting better. Plus, my bro has it and says its fun so here I am. Besides...

Bethesda has a plan. You just have to have some God damned FAITH!
Theres potential for a giant sandbox game for that, but I doubt Bethesda pays too much attention to it, as they are working on the next TES game. Fallout 76's chance to turn into a big game is to have the community take it over, and basically create a new game through mods...similar to how Arma turned into DayZ like a decade or so ago.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I'm watching a video on Fallout 76. It's a one month later review. The guy didn't like someone's name.

It was "Cocktimus Prime" :lol:
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

So far so good my dudes. The main storyline is fragile, at best, which would seem like a negative but in fact it's the opposite. The entire map is open, so while Im heading towards my storyline objective, I easily get sidetracked, and from there I get side tracked again, and so on and so fourth. So much awesome shit to explore and find. The overall situation of the story makes it pretty sweet.

So far, there's fun stuff to do; daily events, events that pop up every so often that gives you good loot.

Unlike the horror stories online, and RDR2O, nobody really fucks with you. There's no reason to, plus there's so much stuff to do, its kind of a waste of time. Really, It's fun to team up with rando's and help them with stuff, or a lot of the time they'll help me do stuff, then we both go our own way for awhile, but on the same server, so if something else comes up you can fast travel and help out.

Im not super far into it yet, but I'm planning on playinh alot this weekend. I Do miss seeing NPC's, but the story gives an obvious reason why there aren't any there..yet.

salamander

Post by salamander »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 am Unlike the horror stories online, and RDR2O, nobody really fucks with you. There's no reason to, plus there's so much stuff to do, its kind of a waste of time. Really, It's fun to team up with rando's and help them with stuff, or a lot of the time they'll help me do stuff, then we both go our own way for awhile, but on the same server, so if something else comes up you can fast travel and help out.

Im not super far into it yet, but I'm planning on playinh alot this weekend. I Do miss seeing NPC's, but the story gives an obvious reason why there aren't any there..yet.
They can't fuck with you on FO 76, you need to attack them back before anyone can do serious damage to you.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Is this game fixed yet? I see it's $39.99 at Target which is still too much IMO but are they actively fixing issues? When he gets to $19.99 I might get it.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Herky wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:21 am Is this game fixed yet? I see it's $39.99 at Target which is still too much IMO but are they actively fixing issues? When he gets to $19.99 I might get it.
Yep. Game is solid. There was another update last Thursday. It was mostly to adjust weapon power, or at least that's what I've noticed. I think you guys are missing out. It's really fun to play with friends. They join your server when they log on and you can do your own thing, then fast travel if you find a specialty item they could use and vice versa.

Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:01 pm
Herky wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:21 am Is this game fixed yet? I see it's $39.99 at Target which is still too much IMO but are they actively fixing issues? When he gets to $19.99 I might get it.
Yep. Game is solid. There was another update last Thursday. It was mostly to adjust weapon power, or at least that's what I've noticed. I think you guys are missing out. It's really fun to play with friends. They join your server when they log on and you can do your own thing, then fast travel if you find a specialty item they could use and vice versa.
What about solo? I thought about firing it up over the weekend but didn't get around to it. I only just bought the XBOX so i don't have any "friends" and I've never really been into that whole deal with online games anyways.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:22 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:01 pm
What about solo? I thought about firing it up over the weekend but didn't get around to it. I only just bought the XBOX so i don't have any "friends" and I've never really been into that whole deal with online games anyways.
Yeah, it's fun. Tons and tons of stuff to explore. There's a storyline, but it's pretty loose. I do wish there were NPC's, feels kind of empty other than the other players, but it's part of the story. The game takes a long time to download, so if you want to play, fire it up before work and start downloading. It might be done after you get off work.

I like finding loot, and trading stuff. I like to trade with other people. There's events you can play, where you get good stuff. They have a quite a few at a time, and those are fun to play with people, even Rando's.

Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I'm having lots of fun playing this game right now. Im a high enough level where its not such a grind to explore, but there are plenty of places that will humble me. I've been finding some pretty good loot for my character lately, so that's made it fun.

The vendor bots dont give you anything for your stuff, so I usually find some lower-level guy on the map, fast-travel, and see if they have anything I want. Usually they don't, so I just gift them lower level weapons I dont use much anymore for free and go about my way.

Online has given this game a bad rap. "I played this game for over 500 hours and I think it SUCKS" I think its fun, and is a great time killer. Nobody else playing has ever tried to destroy my camp. There aren't any bugs I can thimk og. I hardly if ever, get kicked off the server. And if you get sick of your current character's setup, you can make another player, and play as them, while still keeping your other character.

Give it a try, Froobs

Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Bethesda announced some nice updates coming down the pipeline, starting next week. Their server update yesterday eliminated almost all of the dupes people had, and banned the players who had them. This is good news, because the game economy us back on track.

In game content will expand as well as stash size in a couple weeks. This game keeps getting more and more fun. Contrary to the online narrative, this game kicks ass.

Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:36 am
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 am I'm having lots of fun playing this game right now. Im a high enough level where its not such a grind to explore, but there are plenty of places that will humble me. I've been finding some pretty good loot for my character lately, so that's made it fun.

The vendor bots dont give you anything for your stuff, so I usually find some lower-level guy on the map, fast-travel, and see if they have anything I want. Usually they don't, so I just gift them lower level weapons I dont use much anymore for free and go about my way.

Online has given this game a bad rap. "I played this game for over 500 hours and I think it SUCKS" I think its fun, and is a great time killer. Nobody else playing has ever tried to destroy my camp. There aren't any bugs I can thimk og. I hardly if ever, get kicked off the server. And if you get sick of your current character's setup, you can make another player, and play as them, while still keeping your other character.

Give it a try, Froobs
I'm not spending more than $25 on it. Even if the game we're I. Perfect working condition from day 1, I just don't like playing online that much, and I especially don't see myself wanting to play cooperatively with a bunch of 12 year old shitheads who take the game WAY WAY too seriously for it to even have a chance at big any fun.
Its not like that at all. The map is so enormous you dont really run in to people unless you want to. If you DO have real life friends that play, you can join each other on the same server. Once you join on a team with said friends, or anyone you want, you get bonuses, which you can "Perk-Up" by adding points to your Charisma Perk. While on this team, you dont have to be doing the same stuff to keep these bonus points. I could be way down in the Ash Heap, and you could be up in the Forest region. If you were like "Hey, come help me for a sec", then I can fast travel for free to you and I can help you with whatever you're doing then afterwards go about my business.

Seriously, most people are at different places in the story, or they are farming 'Junk', or fighting legendaries for good weapons and armor.

They have various events throughout the map. If you see people playing, you can join and fast travel there. You both get your own loot and reward when completed. If you see a bunch of high level people playing somewhere, you can fast travel to their spot. Because they are high level players, high level Scorched or Mutants(on a scale) spawn. Yeah, they are gonna be bullet sponges for you, but all you need to do is hit them once with a weak weapon, and let the other people finish them off, and you get experience and great loot. Its pretty awesome, but again, not everyone does this. Theres only like 10-15 people on a server and its a HUGE map.

I'm telling you guys, its awesome, and there's zero obligation to ever play with anyone else. Unlike RDRO, there's stuff to do, you dont hear everyone's Mic the whole time, (only if you are at close proximity), people are cool and play solo, the story is pretty good, and they constantly make updates, bug fixea, and online content. For $30 its a steal.