Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Fallout 76

Video game themed message board
jffl_commish

Fallout 76

Post by jffl_commish »

Get in my belly!

I can't wait for this one. I didn't get RDR2 just because I'm going hardcore on this one when it comes. We'll circle the wagons on RDR2 after.
bubu dubu.

Re: Fallout 76

Post by bubu dubu. »

Every time I'm finally about to 100% an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game, another damn one comes out. :swear:
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:49 pm Get in my belly!

I can't wait for this one. I didn't get RDR2 just because I'm going hardcore on this one when it comes. We'll circle the wagons on RDR2 after.
No offense but you're about the only person I've heard say something like this. I'm as original a Bethesda fan boy as it get but I am not interested in this game at all. I think it's an abomination and I will not be buying it. It's a shameless fucking cash grab. Get back to me when Fallout 5 is announced.

This sounds really snarky and I don't mean it that way but I feel bad for you for missing out on it willingly. RDR2 is legitimately the greatest video game ever made.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Herky

Post by Herky »

I'm going to pass until they patch the hell out of it and it's cheap and then MAYBE I will get it.

Online seems so stupid for this game.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I played the B.E.T.A. this last weekend. The landscape is superior in every way. The did a great job there. Also, if that's how they're going to do the V.A.T.S. system now, I think I like it but I couldn't quite figure it out. (I didn't try very hard) It seems like it will no longer pause play when you go into V.A.T.S. now.

This is the first time I've ever played Fallout and not heavily relied on the V.A.T.S. system. It seems more like a tool instead of THE GAMEPLAY now. That's just how it came off to me. Who knows when I really get into the game.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

salamander wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:18 pm I played the B.E.T.A. this last weekend. The landscape is superior in every way. The did a great job there. Also, if that's how they're going to do the V.A.T.S. system now, I think I like it but I couldn't quite figure it out. (I didn't try very hard) It seems like it will no longer pause play when you go into V.A.T.S. now.

This is the first time I've ever played Fallout and not heavily relied on the V.A.T.S. system. It seems more like a tool instead of THE GAMEPLAY now. That's just how it came off to me. Who knows when I really get into the game.
I'm still pretty sure a lot of us dont even know what this game is and what they're trying to accomplish here. What is the loop? What's the goal here?
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

salamander wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:18 pm I played the B.E.T.A. this last weekend. The landscape is superior in every way. The did a great job there. Also, if that's how they're going to do the V.A.T.S. system now, I think I like it but I couldn't quite figure it out. (I didn't try very hard) It seems like it will no longer pause play when you go into V.A.T.S. now.

Was it just a bunch of random rubes running around trying to kill each other? Or could you still play it on your own, similar to what we're used to?
Herky

Post by Herky »

V.A.T.S was a great part of Fallout. Removing it seems stupid IMO.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:04 pm
Herky wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:00 pm V.A.T.S was a great part of Fallout. Removing it seems stupid IMO.
A lot about this game seems stupid to me. Sort of like elder scrolls online... I realize they want to cash in on the franchise, but I wish they didn't. Keep the games with these names to a certain standard. Use their other franchises to play around with shit like this. TES online was actually kinda fun, but it felt nothing like a TES game to me. It felt like a different game with some TES shit slapped over it. I hate that.
I think they are trying to cash in on the online crazy. The good thing is they said they still will make another Fallout that is like the others, but this seems like wasted recourses.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

They keep claiming these are all mechanics from Fallout 4 that were cut... so it's not a cash grab. I say bullshit.

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

YBBR wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:42 pm I'm still pretty sure a lot of us dont even know what this game is and what they're trying to accomplish here. What is the loop? What's the goal here?
jffl_commish wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:59 pm Was it just a bunch of random rubes running around trying to kill each other? Or could you still play it on your own, similar to what we're used to?
I'll try to answer both with one long answer. It was pretty similar to past games outside a few minor adjustments and upgrades. It was really weird because you'd be running around minding your own business and you'd all of the sudden hear someone people talking over their microphones to each other. This happens when you get close to other players in the game.

For the most part you can just go ahead and mind your own business and play like old games. There are some live events you can do (if you want) where anyone close can just come running and jump in on together. These seemed kind of small like "defeat 5 waves of ghouls", etc. In the wilderness I almost never ran into anyone other than one guy who I ended up helping kill some super mutants with and then he was like thanks and I was like you're welcome and we went our separate ways. When you get closer to mission hubs is where more people start popping up (you'll see them on your map as well). You can trade or join up and do missions together if you want.

I only played for about 3-4 hours so I only got the jist of it, nothing too in depth. Nobody really tried to kill each other but I did see that when I got to a certain level I was allowed to challenge other players so I think you need to accept a challenge in order to be damaged by another player.

In the early area I was a little annoyed by the shear number of players but as I got out of the first little town it was much better.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Is looting kind of gone? Meaning when you killed the super mutants with that other guy, were you able to get anything off of them? Or is it first come first served?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Are there NPCs? I thought I heard there weren't any. Although that seems kinda nuts.

I burned out on these games. All the Bethesda RPGs. I just am kinda sick of that engine. I wish they would work on something different instead of a 4th rehash of Oblivion for the most part.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:56 pm
YBBR wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:06 pm Are there NPCs? I thought I heard there weren't any. Although that seems kinda nuts.

I burned out on these games. All the Bethesda RPGs. I just am kinda sick of that engine. I wish they would work on something different instead of a 4th rehash of Oblivion for the most part.
I don't honestly think there are. I know I heard the same thing as you about there not being any, and if both of us remember the same thing it's probably got some truth to it...
This is correct, they've said there are no NPCs.

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:15 pm Is looting kind of gone? Meaning when you killed the super mutants with that other guy, were you able to get anything off of them? Or is it first come first served?
I wasn't 100% sure on this one. There was a time when someone killed a Brahmin and I'd go snag the meat before the other guy got there. That guy still went up to the Brahmin and was there for longer than I'd think someone would be there if it said there was nothing to loot from said Brahmin. Then I was fighting these eyebots and looting mid battle but it was really chaotic with like 10 people fighting with me so I wasn't sure if some stuff was looted by them or I had already looted it. It was hard to tell.

One thing I'm very worried about is when you die you leave a paper doggy bag behind with a bunch of your stuff. I always got my stuff back (and your last death is marked on the map) but I'm unsure if other people can get that too. I died one time right by like 3 other people and they never grabbed it. Not sure if they were just nice or couldn't get it.
salamander

Post by salamander »

YBBR wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:06 pm Are there NPCs? I thought I heard there weren't any. Although that seems kinda nuts.

Now that I think about it, I didn't see one NPC that wasn't a robot. There were terminals though that kind of acted like NPC's and I remember at least one robot that I'd call an NPC. There are also friendly robots that are patrolling some of the roads you see from time to time.

Maybe these aren't "technically" NPC's I'd still use the term to describe them. Otherwise I guess you could say they're just enemies that don't fight you unless you fight them first? Seems like saying "there are no NPC's" is an issue of semantics to me. There weren't a bunch of shop owners and quest givers hanging around though. That kind of stuff either came form terminals or holotapes you'd get after a quest. Or a quest would just pop up when you did or found something. You'd find holotapes throughout the quest that would serve as the "now that you did this, go do that for the next step of the quest" kind of thing.

They're definitely going heavy on the crafting for this game. Never saw 1 shop.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

salamander wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:11 am
jffl_commish wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:15 pm Is looting kind of gone? Meaning when you killed the super mutants with that other guy, were you able to get anything off of them? Or is it first come first served?
I wasn't 100% sure on this one. There was a time when someone killed a Brahmin and I'd go snag the meat before the other guy got there. That guy still went up to the Brahmin and was there for longer than I'd think someone would be there if it said there was nothing to loot from said Brahmin. Then I was fighting these eyebots and looting mid battle but it was really chaotic with like 10 people fighting with me so I wasn't sure if some stuff was looted by them or I had already looted it. It was hard to tell.

One thing I'm very worried about is when you die you leave a paper doggy bag behind with a bunch of your stuff. I always got my stuff back (and your last death is marked on the map) but I'm unsure if other people can get that too. I died one time right by like 3 other people and they never grabbed it. Not sure if they were just nice or couldn't get it.
You'd almost have to play with a friend to really find out on some of that stuff I guess.

Do you need the PSN or the Xbox version to be able to play it? Or just the game?
salamander

Post by salamander »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:35 am
salamander wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:11 am

You'd almost have to play with a friend to really find out on some of that stuff I guess.

Do you need the PSN or the Xbox version to be able to play it? Or just the game?
Also not sure about that. I just got a code from a gal I play Fortnite online with and downloaded it from PSN.
It was a pretty massive install just for the B.E.T.A.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:58 pm If you are someone who just LOVES to collect junk, Best Buy is giving away a Vault Boy Key chain with it on Black Friday
Dammit. I'm gunna have to get that.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I'm watching Giant Bomb play some of this now. I want NO part of this game.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

They abandoned what a fallout game is. The looting and exploration are still there, but where is NPC interaction, or stories?

Like, shit Bethesda. Give me a game that I can immerse myself into like you did with all TES games, or the Fallout 3-4 games.

I think I'm gonna revisit Fo4 which I was initially disappointed in, rather than buy this game.
Herky

Post by Herky »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:53 am They abandoned what a fallout game is. The looting and exploration are still there, but where is NPC interaction, or stories?

Like, shit Bethesda. Give me a game that I can immerse myself into like you did with all TES games, or the Fallout 3-4 games.

I think I'm gonna revisit Fo4 which I was initially disappointed in, rather than buy this game.
I love that game. Especially with all the mods that are out there now.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Herky wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:28 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:53 am They abandoned what a fallout game is. The looting and exploration are still there, but where is NPC interaction, or stories?

I didn't like it, and haven't played it much. It's been suggested to try it again, so I'll give it a go
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Every time I hear about this game I'm just so disappointed.

#BaltimoreStrong
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:39 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:04 am
Herky wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:28 am

I didn't like it, and haven't played it much. It's been suggested to try it again, so I'll give it a go
The mods are fun, and I love building the settlements, but after having replayed through Fallout New Vegas, it's far from the best Fallout game out there. I think NV is my personal favorite. Fo4 is still really good, but NV and 3 are a little better. Bethesda seems to be slowly dumbing down Fallout and TES games probably to appeal to wider audiences. It sucks, imo. I hope they release something more like NV after 76.
You're spot on with the games gradually getting dumber. The difference between Oblivion and Skyrim is crazy. Oblivion quests you actually had to think of ways to get through or by enemies. Skyrim is just a slug fest. Brute your way through the game...mods helped a bit with this, but the vanilla game was so dull.

FONV and FO3 are interchangeable to me. Both are great. FO4 did get boring quick, but I did find the coolest Easter egg in that game out of all of them, which was the vault from LOST, full on with the 4-8-15-16-23-42 engraved on it.
Herky

Post by Herky »

My problem was the spawning quests that happened all the time. The developers said when the game was released that it was a game you could continue to play for years and years after you beat it. I learned the hard was not to talk to random people in taverns or on the street because the same "fetch" or "revenge" quest would pop up with a slightly different backstory. I like open world games but pointless quests suck, especially when you are a level 60, have everything, and some dope wants to pay you 250 gold to travel to some remote cave to find his son.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Herky wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:12 am My problem was the spawning quests that happened all the time. The developers said when the game was released that it was a game you could continue to play for years and years after you beat it. I learned the hard was not to talk to random people in taverns or on the street because the same "fetch" or "revenge" quest would pop up with a slightly different backstory. I like open world games but pointless quests suck, especially when you are a level 60, have everything, and some dope wants to pay you 250 gold to travel to some remote cave to find his son.
This is why I could never get into the Assassin's Creed games. Literally the same 2 or 3 quests hundreds of times...I've never gotten that feeling from these kind of Bethesda games though.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:41 am
Herky wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:12 am My problem was the spawning quests that happened all the time. The developers said when the game was released that it was a game you could continue to play for years and years after you beat it. I learned the hard was not to talk to random people in taverns or on the street because the same "fetch" or "revenge" quest would pop up with a slightly different backstory. I like open world games but pointless quests suck, especially when you are a level 60, have everything, and some dope wants to pay you 250 gold to travel to some remote cave to find his son.
This is why I could never get into the Assassin's Creed games. Literally the same 2 or 3 quests hundreds of times...I've never gotten that feeling from these kind of Bethesda games though.
The latest AC game has totally revamped their quest structure. You should check it out.

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

I honestly am not a huge fan of the building in fallout. It was neat in FO4 but when I saw that it was there in 76 my heart sank a bit.
"Oh, great" I thought.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Just realized this game out two days ago.. lol.

#BaltimoreStrong