Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

i want to get into this gaming thing

Video game themed message board
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: i want to get into this gaming thing

Post by RubeTube »

PH81 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:14 am i hear people talking about these games like fortnite and i want to play too. i do not have a pc, i was looking at an xbox on ebay for 299.00, is this what i should get?
That's too much. Just wait until black Friday now. Xbox one can be had for 175-150 bucks.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

PH81 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:32 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:49 pm
PH81 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:14 am i hear people talking about these games like fortnite and i want to play too. i do not have a pc, i was looking at an xbox on ebay for 299.00, is this what i should get?
That's too much. Just wait until black Friday now. Xbox one can be had for 175-150 bucks.
but is the xbox the one i should buy? what about ps4?
Whichever is fine. Look up what games you would like and make your choice.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

PH81 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:32 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:49 pm
but is the xbox the one i should buy? what about ps4?
I reckon ask Abe, he has both.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Ask your kids if they want to play, and if their friends have either one. Although the technology is becoming better to have cross platform gaming, so you'll see less people care about that.
My body, my choice.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:05 pm Xbox One X - Great for playing old and new games with. It's backwards compatible with a lot of 360 games, and some original Xbox games, AND it enhances those games to 16x their original resolutions plus whatever manufacture updates are thrown in making an old game look fucking fantastic. It's a good system if you want to buy some older games to build your library and it plays pretty much all of the 3rd party games out there. Does True 4k with HDR with some games. Only system capable of doing so. At least 1TB of memory. It's got a lot of fancy shit in it. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one-x?& ... M_QfJ9TIgZ For more details. I love mine, but I have an enormous library of xbox 360 and original xbox games at home.

Xbox One S - Same as Xb1x, but doesn't enhance older or new games as well. Only capable of enhancements to 4x resolution, and doesn't show many manufacturer updates to older games. Still well worth the money though. It's a lot cheaper than the Xbox One X. Simulated 4k hdr. 1 TB memory

Xbox One - You'll probably have to buy it used, but it plays all of the games of the other two, only does 1080p, but looks good regardless. Only 500gb Hard drive. Good if you want to get in on the cheap.

PS4 Pro - Second most powerful system on the market to the Xbox One X. More affordable than the XB1x but only enhances to 8x resolution. Simulates 4k HDR, and does it extremely well. You will have a hell of a time telling apart the simulated 4k on the PS4 Pro from the true 4k on the XB1x. Playstation has the best 1st party games, and plays almost all 3rd party games. Not backwards compatible. PS4 forces you to rebuy your old games which it then emulates.

PS4 Slim - Just a step down from the PS4 Pro. 500 Gb memory. I think it can do simulated 4k, but I'm not sure on that. Small footprint in your entertainment center. Plays all the same games as ps4 pro just doesn't look quite as good.

PS4 - You will probably have to buy used. 500 Gb memory, plays all the same games as the other ps4's but only can do 1080p which again, looks just fine. Cheapest.

Switch - Portable, Memory uses microSDXC cards, which could be better and could be worse. It's an added cost you will eventually need though. 1080p system when docked, 720p when portable. The portable screen is small though so 720p looks just fine. The 1st party games are awesome. 3rd party is better than Nintendo has had in a while, but still needs improvement. The e-store is alright... They are just getting their online play figured out... finally. Definitely a great system if you are on the go a lot.

Overall, I honestly like my Xbox One X the best. It's just so cool to throw in Fallout New Vegas or Red Dead Redemption from the 360 and have it look like a brand new game. Even Xbox One games look better. GTAV looks awesome. It's expensive though. I probably could have just kept my original Xbox One and PS4 and used the money I spent on the upgrades to get a decent gaming PC.

The Switch and PS4 pro are a close second for me. The portability of the Switch is nice, and the PS4's 1st party exclusives are great.
:thumbsup:

That's a great run down on them, even for me!