Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Assasin's Creed Odyssey

Video game themed message board
jffl_commish

Re: Assasin's Creed Odyssey

Post by jffl_commish »

I'm down to one of the four Mythological creatures to beat. I think there are four? Those battles are rough. Lots of running and dodging.

Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Fuck Medussa and her 8 million snakes.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I finally picked this up today. I have to wait for my Xbox to come before I can play it though.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:53 pm I finally picked this up today. I have to wait for my Xbox to come before I can play it though.
Enjoy!
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

So, IRL I'm afraid of snakes. This game creeps me out on those assholes too. Especially considering the places you find them in all the time. And Medussa's lair, fuck her. So many of those bastards.
Spoiler:
At least they aren't in the battle with her
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I decided to get the max bounty on my head last night for fun. I did it naval style though, just so I didn't screw up any quests or anything on land. That, and having 4 or 5 mercs come at me at the same time on land sounds like a good way to die fast. My ship is pretty pimped out though, so I wasn't worried about losing a naval battle. I sure eliminated a lot of mercs, although it took a while.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I just started the game save + thing, so there's that.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Downloading and installing right now. How excited should I really be, realistically?

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:24 pm Downloading and installing right now. How excited should I really be, realistically?
It takes a few hours to really get into it. I think I ended up with 130+ hours played. It's a damn fine game, except for the first DLC set which was fucked. The Atlantis one is good though.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I played for a couple hours last night. It was pretty fun. I set the gameplay on 'Hard' and am playing as the male character even though I was told to play as the female. Without spoilers, why? I have a hard time playing as females in games if I have the choice.

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:45 am I played for a couple hours last night. It was pretty fun. I set the gameplay on 'Hard' and am playing as the male character even though I was told to play as the female. Without spoilers, why? I have a hard time playing as females in games if I have the choice.
Same exact story, from what I understand.
Let's get Tropical
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:45 am I played for a couple hours last night. It was pretty fun. I set the gameplay on 'Hard' and am playing as the male character even though I was told to play as the female. Without spoilers, why? I have a hard time playing as females in games if I have the choice.
The female actor is far better, the male actor is goofy.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

zeitgeist wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:05 pm
Ha, yeah. He kind of reminds me of 'Thor' of the Marvel Universe. I just didn't know if they had separate skill trees, or the story altered. The Bounty Hunter is tough. He whooped my ass 5 times before I finally called it a night. He's two levels ahead of me, but I dont like the idea of him creeping around looking for me. Cool feature.

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:48 pm
Ha, yeah. He kind of reminds me of 'Thor' of the Marvel Universe. I just didn't know if they had separate skill trees, or the story altered. The Bounty Hunter is tough. He whooped my ass 5 times before I finally called it a night. He's two levels ahead of me, but I dont like the idea of him creeping around looking for me. Cool feature.
I've attacked stronger ones kind of jousting style. I get on my horse and just attack as my horse runs by. Turn around and repeat. I can usually wipe them out without taking any damage. Just have to do it in the country side so your horse will actually run instead of trot like he does in town.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:28 pm

I've attacked stronger ones kind of jousting style. I get on my horse and just attack as my horse runs by. Turn around and repeat. I can usually wipe them out without taking any damage. Just have to do it in the country side so your horse will actually run instead of trot like he does in town.
:lol:

That's really funny. I may try that out instead of lowering the difficulty. I love the idea of a boss, or bosses in games and these dudes feel like one. In Baldur's Gate or even Skyrim, you could make tough guys follow you into town, and their guards/soldiers would help you out and reduce antagonist's focus on you. I'm looking forward to playing this some more. :thumbsup:

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:48 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:28 pm

That's really funny. I may try that out instead of lowering the difficulty. I love the idea of a boss, or bosses in games and these dudes feel like one. In Baldur's Gate or even Skyrim, you could make tough guys follow you into town, and their guards/soldiers would help you out and reduce antagonist's focus on you. I'm looking forward to playing this some more. :thumbsup:
Just wait until you get to the mythical creatures. Those are hard as hell.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:30 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:12 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:48 pm

Just wait until you get to the mythical creatures. Those are hard as hell.
I must be getting close to that part of the game. I just finished a mission that had me go to some ruins that had a giant snake skeleton on them. Pretty sure it's eluding to something there. Also a while ago I went exploring for a while and stumble across an island with a tunnel. In the tunnel there was a door that I couldn't get through "yet". Sounded like some big footsteps on the other side of the door. Minotaur? I think the island is called "the forgotten isle"... How original...
For the mythical creatures:
Spoiler:
That one is the Cyclops of I recall correctly. You end up fighting 3 of them in different areas. That one is the toughest though. There's also the Minotaur, Medussa (she is really hard), Sphinx. I think that's it?
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:27 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:48 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:30 pm

I must be getting close to that part of the game. I just finished a mission that had me go to some ruins that had a giant snake skeleton on them. Pretty sure it's eluding to something there. Also a while ago I went exploring for a while and stumble across an island with a tunnel. In the tunnel there was a door that I couldn't get through "yet". Sounded like some big footsteps on the other side of the door. Minotaur? I think the island is called "the forgotten isle"... How original...
Spoiler:
That one is the Cyclops of I recall correctly. You end up fighting 3 of them in different areas. That one is the toughest though. There's also the Minotaur, Medussa (she is really hard), Sphinx. I think that's it?
Spoiler:
Hmm, feels like they could have had a few more. Do you know if the doc's add some in?
Not sure. I don't have any of he DLC's. Seems like I'm missing some, but can't remember what?
Let's get Tropical
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:06 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:27 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:48 pm

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Hmm, feels like they could have had a few more. Do you know if the doc's add some in?
Not sure. I don't have any of he DLC's. Seems like I'm missing some, but can't remember what?
They do.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:36 pm I went exploring again... I mean, it's more fun now that the map has opened up, but dammit... I really wish enemies leveled up with you instead of basically locking you into a region because you have absolutely no chance to defeat any of the enemies in locations you aren't supposed to be in. I sort of feel like just grinding the shit out of this until I'm at like level 50 or some shit just so I can travel and have a shot to kill whatever person or do whatever side mission I want... Like I get not wanting to spoil the main game, but why not just make those missions unavailable until you've gotten there in the story? I just like exploring and checking out the land. For now, I'm just going to keep running around the world unloking fast travel points for a while. At least it will make getting through the story go a little more quickly... or I'll just take a break from this one again and try out one of the other 70 games I bought over the holidays...
It's not that bad, I think the max levels are only on some islands like Lesbos, and they are 40 or something.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:07 pm
LordNu wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:58 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:36 pm I went exploring again... I mean, it's more fun now that the map has opened up, but dammit... I really wish enemies leveled up with you instead of basically locking you into a region because you have absolutely no chance to defeat any of the enemies in locations you aren't supposed to be in. I sort of feel like just grinding the shit out of this until I'm at like level 50 or some shit just so I can travel and have a shot to kill whatever person or do whatever side mission I want... Like I get not wanting to spoil the main game, but why not just make those missions unavailable until you've gotten there in the story? I just like exploring and checking out the land. For now, I'm just going to keep running around the world unloking fast travel points for a while. At least it will make getting through the story go a little more quickly... or I'll just take a break from this one again and try out one of the other 70 games I bought over the holidays...
It's not that bad, I think the max levels are only on some islands like Lesbos, and they are 40 or something.
God damn 40 something lesbos always ruining all my fun...
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I don't recall having a tough time with leveled up NPC's other than bosses, arena fights, etc. For the most part, they should be around your level?
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:38 pm I've basically been trying to lure bad guys near cliff edges and then sneaking up behind them and pushing them off... Which is strangely satisfying. It's about the only way I've had any shot at taking out the higher ranking ones. My build has been Hunter and assassin heavy with a few select warrior options mixed in. So that might have something to do with it.
Get them out in the country, get on your horse and do a drive-by style sword swing at them. Turn around and repeat. Works pretty good.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Yeah. Im level 10 and its a grind for me right now on 'Hard' difficulty. I can get the Odyssey Quest things done fairly easily but its hard to level up before I move ahead doing side quests and stuff. Maybe Im just not very good at the fighting mechanics yet. I mean I do alright but a quarter of the time I feel like Im on the load screen after getting my ass whooped. Fun game though.

Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:58 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:21 am Yeah. Im level 10 and its a grind for me right now on 'Hard' difficulty. I can get the Odyssey Quest things done fairly easily but its hard to level up before I move ahead doing side quests and stuff. Maybe Im just not very good at the fighting mechanics yet. I mean I do alright but a quarter of the time I feel like Im on the load screen after getting my ass whooped. Fun game though.
I do pretty well until I start getting ganged up on by 5 or more bad guys. Feels like a lot of running and re-engaging then running again. I'm back to doing the missions again after I opened the bottom right quarter + of the map and synced at least one fast travel spot on each island that I could. I gotta say I do like the different environment some of islands have. Just wondered through some volcanic regions which were kinda neat for a change of pace. I'm a little excited to see what other environments there are. Also, I kinda want to start exploring what's under the ocean a little more, but I feel like I probably should level up a bit more first. Every time I'm in the water I'm expecting some fuck'n jump scare from a sea monster... I do the same thing when I take baths.
Jump-scare sea monsters in the bath are the worst :shock:

I accidentally wander to high level areas, and I too enjoy the different environments. The topography is great in this game. The shields the soldiers have remain a thorn in my side though. I have the shield breaker, but after I use it i feel like I just run around until my adrenaline meter refills then go back to the conflict. I feel cheap doing that, but its better than the reload screen.

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I haven't bothered with the shield break thing. Either block their attack (L1 + R1 on the PS4), or time the dodge just right and time slows down. Light their ass up then.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Do yourself a favor and get Poseidon's trident/spear as soon as you're strong enough. It makes underwater adventures soooooooooo much easier.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:28 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:49 pm Do yourself a favor and get Poseidon's trident/spear as soon as you're strong enough. It makes underwater adventures soooooooooo much easier.
I literally just got it last night. It was a distract and run like hell sort of deal. At the lightning rate that I'm leveling I might get to use it sometime in April.
I had a hell of a time killing the Legendary Boar. Took me 25+ tries. This game is challenging on Hard, and I like it. Things really opened up last night, sooo we'll see what happens.

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:43 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:49 pm Do yourself a favor and get Poseidon's trident/spear as soon as you're strong enough. It makes underwater adventures soooooooooo much easier.
I literally just got it last night. It was a distract and run like hell sort of deal. At the lightning rate that I'm leveling I might get to use it sometime in April.
I had a hell of a time killing the Legendary Boar. Took me 25+ tries. This game is challenging on Hard, and I like it. Things really opened up last night, sooo we'll see what happens.
That is one of the top 2 bosses to beat, at least for me. That damn thing and Medussa.

Wait, which boar? There are two on that hunting track. The first one is easy. The one you find later is a bitch.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:55 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:43 pm

That is one of the top 2 bosses to beat, at least for me. That damn thing and Medussa.

Wait, which boar? There are two on that hunting track. The first one is easy. The one you find later is a bitch.
The first one. I tried, and couldn't do it, so after I leveled up a couple times I went back and beat it finally but it took me awhile. I finally employed the strategy of keeping up the pressure on the big one, and ignoring the others because they would nickle and dime my health. Good battle for me.