Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Assasin's Creed Odyssey

Video game themed message board
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Assasin's Creed Odyssey

Post by Mandatory »

Anyone else picking this up? I preordered the digital Gold Edition which means it released at midnight. I started downloading it a little late last night so it should be set when I get home. I really enjoyed Origins so I'm excited to see how they play Ancient Greece which is a perfect location IMO. They've also integrated Naval Combat again ala Black Flag.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Re: Assasin's Creed Odyssey

Post by salamander »

I usually wait for about 3 iterations of assassins creed to come out then get them super cheap and play a ton of assassin's creed.

Still need to play origins before I play this one.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

On a side note, I've always thought it was really weird that they pitted the Hashahin against the Templar in these games.

The Hashashin were a pretty cool group (prior to their downfall and eventual turn to being some of the first terrorists). In their hey-day they were everything the games portray them to be (again, prior to the terrorist stuff).

Not only that the Hashashin and the Templar were never truly enemies and worked together quite often. I wouldn't call them allies as much as they just had interests that aligned at times.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:45 pm I think I still need to play more than 5 minutes of every AC game since Black Flag so... I don't really know why I would buy this one. I guess I did put a few hours into Origins. That one seemed alright. Idk why but these games just never really grab my attention enough to continue playing after the first or second play... Idk why I keep buying them...
Ya I have never been a fan. They have milked this series like a COD. I don't touch anything with Ubisoft, EA or Activision name on it. To each their own though and I hope people who bought it, enjoy it.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:45 pm I think I still need to play more than 5 minutes of every AC game since Black Flag so... I don't really know why I would buy this one. I guess I did put a few hours into Origins. That one seemed alright. Idk why but these games just never really grab my attention enough to continue playing after the first or second play... Idk why I keep buying them...
Skip the one in Paris.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:05 pm
Ya I have never been a fan. They have milked this series like a COD. I don't touch anything with Ubisoft, EA or Activision name on it. To each their own though and I hope people who bought it, enjoy it.
They're getting stale that's for sure
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

The last two games have been nothing like the others. You guys should try it.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Couple notes.. I'm still on the "tutorial" island so it's early but..

I picked the female character Kassandra. She's cute, fun and shredded as hell.

The Greece locale is bright and vibrant.

They've updated the dialogue system and it's great. You can have different dialogue options that affect the game long term.

There is also a "nemesis" like system involving mercenaries that hunt you when you have a bounty. Looks promising.

You wouldn't be wrong suggesting that this doesn't even really feel like an AC game outside of the parkour elements. Please don't assume this game is just more of the same old AC.

#BaltimoreStrong
salamander

Post by salamander »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 am Couple notes.. I'm still on the "tutorial" island so it's early but..

I picked the female character Kassandra. She's cute, fun and shredded as hell.

The Greece locale is bright and vibrant.

They've updated the dialogue system and it's great. You can have different dialogue options that affect the game long term.

There is also a "nemesis" like system involving mercenaries that hunt you when you have a bounty. Looks promising.

You wouldn't be wrong suggesting that this doesn't even really feel like an AC game outside of the parkour elements. Please don't assume this game is just more of the same old AC.
Holy crap, that actually interests the hell outa me (not the dialogue option thing, I could care less about that). I absolutely love the nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor/War so to hear that AC implemented it is huge for me.

I actually, really don't like hearing about the dialogue options thing though. Some games do it well and it's just fluff that doesn't matter and I don't care about but some games it fucking blows. I'm looking at you Dues Ex.

I thought more games would be using the nemesis system or some version of it by now and have been very disappointed that's not the case.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Purchased this game the other day and just started playing last night.

Not what I expected, in a good way.

You’re right in that it doesn’t feel like the typical AC game. Fun so far!
Herky

Post by Herky »

I started this the other day. Picked the female since I heard her voice acting is the best. Currently a level 5 and just took down the first Mercenary. Playing as an assassin for my skill tree right now. Liking the game and world a lot.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

It was my GOTY of 2018, very worthwhile experience!
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:58 am
zeitgeist wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:39 am It was my GOTY of 2018, very worthwhile experience!
I liked the black flag one, and I thought Origins was decent but I never played much of it. I own pretty much all of them, other than Odyssey. Usually I pick them up super cheap when I can't find something else I want in the summer. I don't know why, but I just can't get into AC games. I struggle with Far Cry ones too. Maybe it's an Ubisoft thing.
I usually buy Assassins Creed games and don't really like them. This game is different, it's the best AC game IMO, even better than AC 2.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Just got it for $20.. Black Flag was good, Orgins I barely played.. for $20 I thought I'd give this one a try :beer:
Herky

Post by Herky »

Getting into the story more and more. Fun game and even the side quests are enjoyable. Currently a level 22.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Hit level 39 last night. This game is damn fun! My female character is a badass assassin.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Just started. I'll go with the chick like you guys did
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 pm Just started. I'll go with the chick like you guys did
Beat Outer Worlds already? :D
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:35 pm
jffl_commish wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 pm Just started. I'll go with the chick like you guys did
No, just not really getting into that one yet for some reason.
Let's get Tropical
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

I really really need to get back into this game. Red Dead Redemption 2 came out about month after launch and I never got back to it. It's excellent though.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:15 am
I saw your post about that right after I posted this. Haha
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:39 am
jffl_commish wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:15 am

I saw your post about that right after I posted this. Haha
I haven't touched FO76 for a long time either.
Let's get Tropical
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I am in the last episode of the second DLC story (I quit the first DLC after... actively tried not to let the thing happen t, but got forced into it, so reloaded a game and wen ton my merry way.) I am starting to burn out though. 130hrs or so.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I finished the first island this morning and am off sailing a bit. The ship combat is a little different. There doesn't seem to be much to win from ships either, but I've had 3 taken down so far.

This is very different than other AC games, so far anyway. Ancient Greece makes for a beautiful setting.
Let's get Tropical
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:29 am I finished the first island this morning and am off sailing a bit. The ship combat is a little different. There doesn't seem to be much to win from ships either, but I've had 3 taken down so far.

This is very different than other AC games, so far anyway. Ancient Greece makes for a beautiful setting.
One of the coolest bits of ship combat is you have to run and loot the chest before the ship sinks.. and if you don't get there in time you can dive after it.

#BaltimoreStrong
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Mandatory wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:36 am
jffl_commish wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:29 am I finished the first island this morning and am off sailing a bit. The ship combat is a little different. There doesn't seem to be much to win from ships either, but I've had 3 taken down so far.

One of the coolest bits of ship combat is you have to run and loot the chest before the ship sinks.. and if you don't get there in time you can dive after it.
It's just the chest by the mast, right? I think I missed that on the first ship I had to do, then had 2 others attack me right away so I'm not sure where the first went down. I did get the last two for sure though.

I love that you can climb pretty much everything, and she has a sense to pickup on the treasures nearby.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Oh, and the Eagle thing is pretty handy marking the enemies and treasure chests that need to be looted.
Let's get Tropical
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:42 am
Mandatory wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:36 am

It's just the chest by the mast, right? I think I missed that on the first ship I had to do, then had 2 others attack me right away so I'm not sure where the first went down. I did get the last two for sure though.

I love that you can climb pretty much everything, and she has a sense to pickup on the treasures nearby.
Yes sir, the mast.

#BaltimoreStrong
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

You're right, Greece is is a top setting for the game. Really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, one of my favourite islands - Ios - didn't make the cut :(
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

This is like nothing else I've ever played on AC. It's been great so far.
Let's get Tropical