Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Digital Downloads on Console

Video game themed message board
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Digital Downloads on Console

Post by Mandatory »

How many froobs do this? I've always been kinda into having physical copies but I'm about to buy my second game in a week through PS Store and I'm not sure why I didn't bother earlier. Unless it's a special game like RDR2 I guess there really isn't a difference. Like does the digital copy take more space on my HDD?
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Re: Digital Downloads on Console

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I have no clue.

I just know that for music, you dont own the rights to any music you purchase from iTunes. If you forget your password or some other catastrophe happens, and you cant access your account, then you are SOL. However, if you buy the cd or vinyl, you own that hard copy and can make as many copies as you want.

I almost assume video games are the same way?
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Mandatory wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:13 pm How many froobs do this? I've always been kinda into having physical copies but I'm about to buy my second game in a week through PS Store and I'm not sure why I didn't bother earlier. Unless it's a special game like RDR2 I guess there really isn't a difference. Like does the digital copy take more space on my HDD?
Almost all my games are digital. I honestly just got really into the convience of just installing it on my hard drive and not having to fiddle with discs. Hooking up a hard drive and having all your games launchable from your desktop is just nice.

The physical and digital copies are the exact same size wise. You have to install physical copies to the hard drive anyway right? Might as well cut out the disc.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

If you ha e kids, or if you play on more than one console, you'll want hard copies.

It's difficult to play a game on different consoles without a hard copy.

If it's a game that just I play, I download it. Same as above, it's nice to not get off the couch to switch games.
My body, my choice.
Herky

Post by Herky »

I do the download thing. Have a 1TB external HD that I use for extra space. Games like Madden I will by the physical copy so I can trade it in however.

Plus I have my Xbox set up with a friend so we can share digital games. We both have access to anything digital that the other one has. I still have my account but ours are linked together. You can look it up online on how to do it. Works like a charm.

Only problem is I don't think DLC will share. For some reason I could never play the extra stuff for Destiny or Destiny 2.

We usually each buy a game a month so it evens out for sharing.
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Mandatory »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:11 pm
Herky wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:05 am I do the download thing. Have a 1TB external HD that I use for extra space. Games like Madden I will by the physical copy so I can trade it in however.

Plus I have my Xbox set up with a friend so we can share digital games. We both have access to anything digital that the other one has. I still have my account but ours are linked together. You can look it up online on how to do it. Works like a charm.

Only problem is I don't think DLC will share. For some reason I could never play the extra stuff for Destiny or Destiny 2.

Yeah, the external hard drive is the only way to go if you have a lot of games or if you primarily download games. I have a 3 TB on my PS4 Pro and a 2 TB on my Xbox One X. It's a must.
Do either of you have a product you suggest? I've never bought an external HD but I would consider it.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
Herky

Post by Herky »

Mandatory wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:39 pm
Herky wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:05 am I do the download thing. Have a 1TB external HD that I use for extra space. Games like Madden I will by the physical copy so I can trade it in however.

Yeah, the external hard drive is the only way to go if you have a lot of games or if you primarily download games. I have a 3 TB on my PS4 Pro and a 2 TB on my Xbox One X. It's a must.
Do either of you have a product you suggest? I've never bought an external HD but I would consider it.
I have a Seagate one that was formatted for video games. Western Digital is good as well.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

TrueBlue wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:11 pm I only download. refuse to buy discs anymore... just a waste of space.
How much space are you saving and more importantly what are you using the space for now?

Very serious replies only.
Lampin'
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

TrueBlue wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:17 am
EnLiteEndOne wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:11 am
Sally wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:11 pm I only download. refuse to buy discs anymore... just a waste of space.
How much space are you saving and more importantly what are you using the space for now?

Very serious replies only.
I live in a condo downtown so space is hard to come by. In fact, you pay a premium for it. Since I gave up discs I now have the ability to fulfil my lifelong dream of having an indoor usb farm. Needless to say I am now happier than I have ever been.
Congrates?
Lampin'
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Agree with the external hard drive. I have an original ps4 with 500gb. I was constantly deleting shit to download new games. About 3 months ago I got a 2tb western digital hard drive and it's fantastic. I should have done this a long time ago :beer: