Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Good effort Nioh, but this is how it's done.

Video game themed message board
Moses Scurry

Good effort Nioh, but this is how it's done.

Post by Moses Scurry »

Last edited by Moses Scurry on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
zeitgeist

Re: Good effort Nioh, but this is how it's done.

Post by zeitgeist »

The game looks quite good, I like the verticality in movement, but the combat in Nioh is better than any From Software game.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

zeitgeist wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:06 am The game looks quite good, I like the verticality in movement, but the combat in Nioh is better than any From Software game.
Lies. :mrgreen:

They have picked up the tempo for this game obviously and you can see the quality of the game is about 100 times better.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:11 am
zeitgeist wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:06 am The game looks quite good, I like the verticality in movement, but the combat in Nioh is better than any From Software game.
Lies. :mrgreen:

They have picked up the tempo for this game obviously and you can see the quality of the game is about 100 times better.
I do like the way the grappling hook is used and it definitely looks more action oriented than the Souls/Bloodborne game(s) but I would still be surprised if it has better combat than Nioh, it might do other things better. Nioh was revolutionary with its stance system and the ki/stamina system and how the two integrated with each other.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Bloodborne had the Ki mechanic, but for health.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Oh Moses, always bashing poor Nioh. Which is an excellent game! The only thing I want in Nioh 2 as an improvement is really completely customizeable combos with each stance. They got close to this level of detail. But if I can order and reorder each individual stroke of high, medium, and low stance and how those chain off one another, that's all they need.

BTW this game looks rad.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I just like being difficult :)
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Nioh was also super offensive focused and rewarded precision and timing as you got better. Making you more daring and wild as you went. But you got punished if you were sloppy. I feel like From's games try to strike a more healthy balance of offense and defense.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:53 pm I just like being difficult :)
Yeah, this looks good though. This is an atmosphere that speaks more to me than the Dark Souls or Bloodbourne atheistic. I like what I've seen here.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

P.S.

Nioh rules.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Bloodborne was better than Nioh.

Both are great games.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Two days. Support a great gaming company and buy this.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/22/17760 ... ons-combat
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

90 on metacritic. 9.5 on ign. FromSoftware does it again.
salamander

Post by salamander »

YBBR wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:54 pm Nioh was also super offensive focused and rewarded precision and timing as you got better. Making you more daring and wild as you went. But you got punished if you were sloppy. I feel like From's games try to strike a more healthy balance of offense and defense.
Bloodborne rewarded you for being offensive. (Even though you could play both ways)
You should always be moving side to side or forward in a fight in Bloodborne, always.

I liked Nioh but it was just an OK game. I will definitely be getting this one in the OP though. Looks stellar.
Last edited by salamander on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Haha, this game is hard as balls.

It is f-ing beautiful.

The story telling got me pretty quick and i couldn't care less about japanese feudal lore.

My advice, keep the japanese dialog and read the subtitles.

It's basically half-stealth and half-parry/deathblow game.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:14 pm Haha, this game is hard as balls.

It is f-ing beautiful.

The story telling got me pretty quick and i couldn't care less about japanese feudal lore.

I don't want to even try this game if it is that hard. But I am the opposite with Japanese history, I think I'd be enthralled with the story and the scenery.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

LordNu wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:12 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:14 pm Haha, this game is hard as balls.

It is f-ing beautiful.

I don't want to even try this game if it is that hard. But I am the opposite with Japanese history, I think I'd be enthralled with the story and the scenery.
I think once you get going and really use stealth kills to your advantage along with the other strategies, it's manageable but at some point you do need to git gud and use the system as intended. It's definitely not a "level, get OP and overpower everyone" game.

Level design and the overall aesthetics make Nioh look like Steamboat Willy. :mrgreen:
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Nioh was better. I heard this thing runs pretty poorly on console as well.