Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

RIP Coach Woog

Home for Gopher Hockey
mlhouse

RIP Coach Woog

Post by mlhouse »

Sad day for Gopher hockey with Coach Woog passing away at 75.
Jimtown guy

Re: RIP Coach Woog

Post by Jimtown guy »

Woogisms

https://www.gopherpucklive.com/woogisms/

He truly was one of the greats
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Glen, Herbie and now Wooger are gone.

This is hitting me harder than I'd have thought. Really sad day. My fandom predates his time at the U, but he absolutely had my attention the whole time he was there and then when he was in the booth it was always such a treat. He put some tremendous teams on the ice (that never took shit from anyone) but luck unfortunately wasn't on their side. Skarda, Legg...ugh.

The man oozed love for the game but more importantly for people. He deserved a title but even without it he goes down as a legend.

RIP The Wooger :(
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

Sad to hear. Although I am a Bulldogs fan now due to me attending and graduating from said University I grew up a Gopher fan and still root for them when it doesn't have negative ramifications for the Dogs. Had season tickets as a young teenager back in the Woog glory days 1994-99 or so approximately. Had some damn good teams and the building was electric every night. For whatever reason though, he couldn't lead them to the big one.

RIP Doug Woog
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Rest In Peace Doug Woog. Always enjoyed listening to you and it was my pleasure meeting you at one your camps. Class act for sure
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:52 pm Rest In Peace Doug Woog. Always enjoyed listening to you and it was my pleasure meeting you at one your camps. Class act for sure
I never attended one of his camps, but my brother did. Had a blast, said Woog was a genuine good guy. Ironically, we had a family golf outing up there this fall and it was his first time up there since the camp so I actually talked to him about this not that long ago.
Jimtown guy

Post by Jimtown guy »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:56 pm
Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:52 pm Rest In Peace Doug Woog. Always enjoyed listening to you and it was my pleasure meeting you at one your camps. Class act for sure
I never attended one of his camps, but my brother did. Had a blast, said Woog was a genuine good guy. Ironically, we had a family golf outing up there this fall and it was his first time up there since the camp so I actually talked to him about this not that long ago.
We were at a family reunion and staying at Breezy Point Resort. He had a camp not far from there and one day my daughter and I decided to check it out. Low and behold the first guy we see when we entered the rink was Wooger. Could not of been nicer. To bad he never one a National Championship because he deserved one
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:06 pm
Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:56 pm
We were at a family reunion and staying at Breezy Point Resort. He had a camp not far from there and one day my daughter and I decided to check it out. Low and behold the first guy we see when we entered the rink was Wooger. Could not of been nicer. To bad he never one a National Championship because he deserved one
He really did. Hopefully, it was a small consolation to him that the teams that won back to back with Lucia were still constructed with a lot of players he recruited. Not sure when he was doing the camps at Breezy Point, but the one my brother attended was at Giant's Ridge up in Biwabik and was probably the summer of 1996 (if not then for sure 95 or 97).
Chet Manly

Post by Chet Manly »

If you’re between the ages of 20 and 50, Doug Woog is arguably the face of Gopher hockey to you. That’s not to knock Lucia after him, and his championships were obviously great, but the team hasn’t been the same since the good of’ days.

RIP Doug. He was already missed, but this one certainly sucks.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

Some great tales in the books by goldy gopher! Great coach and great promoter of the game.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:45 pm Sad to hear. Although I am a Bulldogs fan now due to me attending and graduating from said University I grew up a Gopher fan and still root for them when it doesn't have negative ramifications for the Dogs. Had season tickets as a young teenager back in the Woog glory days 1994-99 or so approximately. Had some damn good teams and the building was electric every night. For whatever reason though, he couldn't lead them to the big one.

RIP Doug Woog
a son of south saint paul-that HS has never won a state hockey title either. one of those things. he certainly had some great gopher teams and was a very successful coach if you certainly measured it by consistency, wins and filling the stands and eyes on the television watching the games.

In his first twelve seasons the Golden Gophers reached the NCAA tournament each year (a record for the start of a career) posting six 30+ win seasons, winning five WCHA titles, three conference tournament titles and made the 1989 NCAA Tournament Final. While the ultimate prize eluded him Woog was one of the most successful coaches in the history of the NCAA when he retired in 1999. In 2015, in his honor they named formerly known, Wakota Arena, to Doug Woog Arena in his home town of South St. Paul.

RIP wooger
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

it is guys like woog that made the game. It is the lack of guys like woog calling the games that might hurt the most.
When past legends call the games, either tv or radio, you learn about the programs, the details. Today's announcers do not have that.
Some of Woogs best stories in the booth were about the Lamoureux kids from North Dakota grandmas. Grandma Lamoureux and Grandma Soli. No matter if they were playing in Grand Forks or Mpls, The grandma's were at many games and Woog would always talk with them and then about them during the games.
I grew up on the same block as the Soli's and spend many a day in that house, Lammy's Mom is the older sister of one of my very good friends.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

legend
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Nice conversation between Burrito and Pat The Rat about The Wooger. About 15 in: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/462-kfan ... -28275970/
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:45 pm Nice conversation between Burrito and Pat The Rat about The Wooger. About 15 in: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/462-kfan ... -28275970/
Thanks for posting SS. :thumbsup:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Woog's Gophers were the climax of my hockey fandom. Bonin, Kraft, Stauber, Trebil, Spehar etc...etc...

I think Woog was such a huge part in the states self proclaimed title of "the State of Hockey"...recruiting only locally, and showing how great a team could be with just Minnesota kids.

There was an article I was reading about him the other day, where he brought up the local recruiting. He mentioned Barreiro asking him a few times why he wouldn't just get a Canadian or two from time to time just to get him a championship. Said he just wanted to stay true to the Minnesota kids, and how great the rivalry was with UND because they always got the big physical Canadians and he got the skilled skaters from one state, and the culture that grew from it being a true Minnesota team.

I miss when simply being the Gophers meant you got your pick of the crop in the state. Unfortunately for Woog, so many other options started to come up for in-state players.
Last edited by bubu dubu. on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Ben Hankinson and Jordan Leipold were on PA today, and had a lot of humorous stories about Woog, or "Wooger" which he kept referring him to.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-paul ... -26980875/
Starts around 15 minute mark.

Hillarious story around the 25 minute mark from Ben....
During his freshman year on a game day, Woog had just got done doing a visit with a recruit. Ben goes to his dorm, and his roommate tells him not to go in, because Woog is in the room and Woog gave the roommate instructions to not let anyone in. Ben out of curiosity continues to go into his room, and there's Woog napping on Ben's bed in his tighty whiteys...no blankets, no shirt or pants, just his underwear. Instead of driving 10 minutes home to catch a quick nap, he felt it would be quicker to swing by one of his players dorms.

There was also a story about Casey Hankinson and the backup goalie switching jerseys one day at practice, Casey is wearing the goalie gear and everything, and backup goalie guy is taking shifts at forward. Finally about half way through practice, Woog starts yelling at who he thinks is Casey, asking him what the hell is wrong with him today...and then realizing the prank that was pulled shortly after.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:36 pm Ben Hankinson and Jordan Leipold were on PA today, and had a lot of humorous stories about Woog, or "Wooger" which he kept referring him to.

During his freshman year on a game day, Woog had just got done doing a visit with a recruit. Ben goes to his dorm, and his roommate tells him not to go in, because Woog is in the room and Woog gave the roommate instructions to not let anyone in. Ben out of curiosity continues to go into his room, and there's Woog napping on Ben's bed in his tighty whiteys...no blankets, no shirt or pants, just his underwear. Instead of driving 10 minutes home to catch a quick nap, he felt it would be quicker to swing by one of his players dorms.

There was also a story about Casey Hankinson and the backup goalie switching jerseys one day at practice, Casey is wearing the goalie gear and everything, and backup goalie guy is taking shifts at forward. Finally about half way through practice, Woog starts yelling at who he thinks is Casey, asking him what the hell is wrong with him today...and then realizing the prank that was pulled shortly after.
lulz. good stories there.
Sellingguy

Post by Sellingguy »

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:36 pm Ben Hankinson and Jordan Leipold were on PA today, and had a lot of humorous stories about Woog, or "Wooger" which he kept referring him to.

THose are all in the gopher hockey books. One of the big studs sprained his ankle drunk one nite. but of course they cant tell woog that.

Another story is about 2 of the players were walking by the parking lots during girls basketball playoffs for high school.
They are waiting for a car to enter a lot and the guy rolls down the window and asks ..how much to park. They spurted out, $5.00.
They collected some money and went home, but it got back to woog.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Jimtown guy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:22 pm Woogisms

https://www.gopherpucklive.com/woogisms/

He truly was one of the greats
One of a kind!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I went to Grand Rapids, MI for the NCAA tournament in 2004. The top seeded Gophers lost to UMD in very disappointing game. Tough loss and it was Tomas Vanek, Matt Koalska, Grant Potulny, Troy Riddle, and Keith Ballard's last game.

After the game I was waiting for my wife to pick me up (she went shopping while I was at the game) and as I was waiting Coach Woog came out of the stadium. I got to talk to him for about 10 or 15 minutes. Then he left and walked to the parking ramp to the right. NExt thing I saw him walking to another parking ramp over to the left. Then wandering around. It was clear that Wooger had forgotten where he had parked.

Hard to believe that is 16 years ago.