Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by HeHateMe »

GET MATTHEW HURT!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Re: 2019 Gophers Hoops Recruits

Post by HeHateMe »

Offer:
Zeke Nnaji , PF Hopkins

Target: Tyrell Terry, PG De La Salle
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Gophers Basketball Blog

Gophers Basketball

Matthew Hurt talks NBA goals and watching his brother at the U

By Marcus Fuller

December 28, 2017 — 3:37pm

When Matthew Hurt watches the college basketball programs recruiting him the hardest, the area that seems to interest him more than anything is which teams can best prepare him for the NBA.

“My goal is to make it to the NBA,” said Hurt, who is leading Rochester John Marshall Thursday against Armstrong in the Rotary U.S. Bank Holiday Classic at the Mayo Civic Center. “I’m trying to get with the right coaches who can lead me in that direction.”

The 6-foot-9, 215-pound five-star Class of 2019 forward added the last of the blue bloods to his list of scholarship offers after Kentucky coach John Calipari joined North Carolina’s Roy Williams in attendance to see Hurt’s 48-point performance Dec. 14 against Red Wing.

Calipari’s pitch is that Kentucky is the No. 1 program to help Hurt achieve his goal of being drafted into the NBA after his freshman year in college. While Hurt doesn’t have a favorite school right now, he says the Wildcats being a one-and-done factory is a big plus.

“They’re a great one-and-done school,” he said. “Their coaches especially run a really good system. They have really successful players with my kind of skill set. They have great one-and-done players and their coaches are great. Facilities are nice.”

Hurt, who is averaging 39 points and nearly 14 rebounds a game this season for JM, says the colleges recruiting him the hardest at the moment are North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, Minnesota and Indiana.

“I just try to take one player from each team and what I can see myself in their system and how they run things,” Hurt said. “I also like to see if they lose a couple games how they bounce back (Gophers won three straight after a two-game slide). Making my decision, I’m just trying to make the best decision for myself: culture, winning and how I fit in the system are key factors. Those are the factors I’m going to take in.”

There’s no player on the Gophers’ roster right now Hurt can compare himself to, he said. But he’s having fun watching the recent success of his older brother, Michael, a sophomore forward.

The older Hurt started the first two games of his career in the last two Gophers wins. He’s averaging 3.0 points, 1.7 rebounds and 14.1 minutes a game this season. But in his last two games, Michael had 10 points and three rebounds in 26 minutes in a win against Oral Roberts and eight points, three assists and two blocks in 27 minutes in a win against Florida Atlantic.

“Good for him to get his confidence up and get more minutes,” Matthew Hurt said. “They’re going to need him down the stretch. He does the little things on the court that people really don’t notice. He’s really improved since the first day he stepped on campus.”

The Hurt brothers were last teammates in Michael’s senior season with the Rockets in 2015-16. Michael was the team’s leading scorer with over 19 points per game, while Matthew averaged around 18 points as a freshman.

“In high school, he was more of a scorer,” Matthew Hurt said. “College and high school are different levels for sure. He’s learned he has to take every possession one by one – and try to make the right play every time. For him in his mind he wants to win and make the right play. Make the extra pass. It took him time to adjust, but I think he’s adjusting pretty well now.”

His brother playing well for the Gophers helps Richard Pitino’s program have at least one advantage against the likes of Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and North Carolina for his services. Hurt’s impressed that Pitino landed former Hopkins standout and sophomore Amir Coffey and now signed top in-state players Daniel Oturu, Jarvis Omersa and Gabe Kalscheur in 2018.

“Minnesota is one of the most slept on states in the country. We produce a lot of good basketball players,” Hurt said. “It was really good to keep Michael and Amir and having a great 2018 class, too. It helps me and my decision because I’m familiar with them, especially my brother. It was really important for them to get guys like that … You also just have to make the best decision for yourself with playing style, coaches and teammates. All of that stuff. It’s not (necessarily) who is on the team. It matters about the culture and what’s best for you.”

-- Oturu, Kalscheur and Omersa will all be playing in holiday basketball tournaments starting Friday. Cretin-Derham Hall plays St. Cloud Tech on Friday and Apple Valley on Saturday in the Granite City Classic at St. Cloud Apollo High School and St. Cloud State. Orono plays Woodbury on Friday and Minnehaha Academy on Saturday in the Granite City Classic. DeLaSalle plays Friday against Memphis White Station (Tenn.) in the Mike Miller Classic at the Corn Palace in South Dakota. White Station is the alma mater of ex-Gophers guard Andre Hollins.

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I don't think we are getting him. In all his interviews he will talk Minnesota up, and then immediately follow it with something that makes you think he's going to play for a Kentuck or Duke....last interview I read he talked Minnesota up, then said he was going to a school that would be the best at getting him to the next level, and that has a tradition of getting players to the NBA...MN doesnt really have that tradition.

In this interview he talks about how its great that his brother and Amir are on the team, and then in the next sentence talks about how it doesnt really matter who is on the team when it comes to his decision.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:09 pm I don't think we are getting him. In all his interviews he will talk Minnesota up, and then immediately follow it with something that makes you think he's going to play for a Kentuck or Duke....last interview I read he talked Minnesota up, then said he was going to a school that would be the best at getting him to the next level, and that has a tradition of getting players to the NBA...MN doesnt really have that tradition.

In this interview he talks about how its great that his brother and Amir are on the team, and then in the next sentence talks about how it doesnt really matter who is on the team when it comes to his decision.
Typical interview by a 15-17 year old kid.. they're trying to be fair to everyone. I've heard rumors from family members down in the area that Hurt/his family really like Roy Williams and UNC might be the spot... I think it's Duke or UNC over Kentucky for sure.

I know Minnesota doesn't have that tradition but Humphries was a one and done before we even talked about one and done's and he proved you can easily come here for a year, dominate and be a lottery pick.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:20 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:09 pm I don't think we are getting him. In all his interviews he will talk Minnesota up, and then immediately follow it with something that makes you think he's going to play for a Kentuck or Duke....last interview I read he talked Minnesota up, then said he was going to a school that would be the best at getting him to the next level, and that has a tradition of getting players to the NBA...MN doesnt really have that tradition.

Typical interview by a 15-17 year old kid.. they're trying to be fair to everyone. I've heard rumors from family members down in the area that Hurt/his family really like Roy Williams and UNC might be the spot... I think it's Duke or UNC over Kentucky for sure.

I know Minnesota doesn't have that tradition but Humphries was a one and done before we even talked about one and done's and he proved you can easily come here for a year, dominate and be a lottery pick.
Yeah, by saying Kentucky or Duke, I just mean a school like that. One of the blue bloods, I dont necessarily know which ones he is interested in. And you are right about the interviews you get from these kids in both football and basketball. I just really don't feel like we have a chance at him, but definitely hope I am wrong...Minnesota highschool basketball has been putting kids through the last few years that could turn the Gophers into a perennial power house, if they were able to get the majority of the kids to stay...

Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn, Reid Travis, Amir Coffey, Gary Trent, Jericho Sims, Tre Jones, Daniel Oturu, Matt Hurt, Jalen Suggs...Imagine if the Gophers were able to land just half of these kids. Wow!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Would be nice, that's for sure.

When guys are five star recruits, it's often hard to keep them home regardless of what school you are.

Jones/Vaughn/Trent/Jones/Hurt/Suggs aren't guys you bet on staying home. The next tier is where you have to strike, at the very least 50% ... Travis (Gophers were close), Sims (Gophers close again), and then they get Coffey and Oturu.

We'll look back on the 2017 class and wonder what if... what if the Gophers had more scholarships available to that class... Pitino loaded up 14 and 15 because he was naturally desperate.. 16 and 17 classes then end up not having many openings when the local class in 17 was stacked. Davison should be a Gopher.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:44 am Would be nice, that's for sure.

When guys are five star recruits, it's often hard to keep them home regardless of what school you are.

Jones/Vaughn/Trent/Jones/Hurt/Suggs aren't guys you bet on staying home. The next tier is where you have to strike, at the very least 50% ... Travis (Gophers were close), Sims (Gophers close again), and then they get Coffey and Oturu.

We'll look back on the 2017 class and wonder what if... what if the Gophers had more scholarships available to that class... Pitino loaded up 14 and 15 because he was naturally desperate.. 16 and 17 classes then end up not having many openings when the local class in 17 was stacked. Davison should be a Gopher.
Never noticed how deep that class was until I just looked it up...a lot of those kids have had instant success too. One guy I don't see on the ESPN page for that class, is Mr. Basketball McKinley Wright, who I've seen a lot of fans be upset about losing. Apparently the Gophers wanted him, and then threw him away when they got the Isaiah Washington commitment.

A lot of wasted scholarships on the roster right now (Gaston, Davonte, Bakary, Stockman, etc...) that could have been used on someone like McKinley, or one of the numerous other players from the 2017 class.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:30 pm

Never noticed how deep that class was until I just looked it up...a lot of those kids have had instant success too. One guy I don't see on the ESPN page for that class, is Mr. Basketball McKinley Wright, who I've seen a lot of fans be upset about losing. Apparently the Gophers wanted him, and then threw him away when they got the Isaiah Washington commitment.

A lot of wasted scholarships on the roster right now (Gaston, Davonte, Bakary, Stockman, etc...) that could have been used on someone like McKinley, or one of the numerous other players from the 2017 class.
They didn't throw him away... he didn't want to come in after Washington committed. If you're Minnesota, they have to take the first guy who committed... I think Wright/Theo John both are Gophers if Washington doesn't commit on his visit. Wright could have had his spot had he committed during the visit... it's a lesson... also why Jarvis Omersa (former Jarvis Thomas) and Gabe Kalscheur committed early this time.

Don't disagree on wasted scholarships with Gaston/Bakary.... why he took both of those guys I'll never know. Stockman doesn't make a ton of sense because he has to sit out a year to get one year... why not go for grad transfers like Smith (technically he wasn't a grad transfer) or Springs? Guys who can play immediately for one year... oh and Curry got hurt so not having a body where Stockman has a spot right now hurts.

Fitzgerald just hasn't worked out.. hopefully he plays OK the rest of the year. I wouldn't be upset if he called it a career or transferred for a final year elsewhere.

I should get back on topic here.........
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Tyrell Terry scored 47 in his game last night. Baylor offers and Minnnesota still hasn't. Pitino is dropping the ball on his one.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:53 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:30 pm

They didn't throw him away... he didn't want to come in after Washington committed. If you're Minnesota, they have to take the first guy who committed... I think Wright/Theo John both are Gophers if Washington doesn't commit on his visit. Wright could have had his spot had he committed during the visit... it's a lesson... also why Jarvis Omersa (former Jarvis Thomas) and Gabe Kalscheur committed early this time.

Don't disagree on wasted scholarships with Gaston/Bakary.... why he took both of those guys I'll never know. Stockman doesn't make a ton of sense because he has to sit out a year to get one year... why not go for grad transfers like Smith (technically he wasn't a grad transfer) or Springs? Guys who can play immediately for one year... oh and Curry got hurt so not having a body where Stockman has a spot right now hurts.

Fitzgerald just hasn't worked out.. hopefully he plays OK the rest of the year. I wouldn't be upset if he called it a career or transferred for a final year elsewhere.

I should get back on topic here.........
Omersa is a project
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Omersa went for 27 the other night. He is crazy athletic but probably needs to refine his game a bit.

Tyrell Terry - Is hard to figure out. Not sure his game with translate into the Big 10 but I thought that of Davidson and he's doing really well at Wisconsin.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Omersa is an athletic freak... reminds me of Rodney Williams, which might not be good if you prefer pure shooters. Luckily that's what Gabe Kalscheur is...

Terry, yeah, the knocks on him are out there but based on who has offered him so far and what the Gophers have at point guard, they're morons if they don't.
full force five

Omersa is like Rodney from an athletic stand point but Omersa is 20 pound heavier, much more muscle mass. He reminds me of Montrezl Harrell from a few years back.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:19 pm Tyrell Terry scored 47 in his game last night. Baylor offers and Minnnesota still hasn't. Pitino is dropping the ball on his one.
Was just listening to the One and Done Podcast yesterday. I tend to lean towards the camp that says Terry is gone. I think he has offers at Butler, Iowa, Baylor, and maybe a couple other comparable schools. If the U hasn't pushed on this one yet, my gut says they'll miss out on him, too. Unless I'm missing a couple, as we sit right now, the class of 2019 isn't as deep as the last few. Granted, some things could change, but it's a smaller pool than we've seen for a few years.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Gonna need someone to replace Jelly Roll....can't imagine him puttin up with these limited minutes in Dinkytown. Ego is gettin DESTROYED!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

cmd24 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:10 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:19 pm Tyrell Terry scored 47 in his game last night. Baylor offers and Minnnesota still hasn't. Pitino is dropping the ball on his one.
Was just listening to the One and Done Podcast yesterday. I tend to lean towards the camp that says Terry is gone. I think he has offers at Butler, Iowa, Baylor, and maybe a couple other comparable schools. If the U hasn't pushed on this one yet, my gut says they'll miss out on him, too. Unless I'm missing a couple, as we sit right now, the class of 2019 isn't as deep as the last few. Granted, some things could change, but it's a smaller pool than we've seen for a few years.
I guess we will see.
Last edited by RubeTube on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
full force five

Tyrell Terry is 6'2" 17 pounds. He is swizzle stick thin, not sure that translates into the Big10. If Jelly sticks around, works on his game, and become a true point guard we will be fine. Mcbrayer, Murphy, Coffey, are all back along with Curry, Harris and Stockman. Oturu will help right away. I think the other two freshman will need to redshirt or play a limited roll. A frontline of Curry, Murphy and Coffey is elite honestly. It depends on Jelly. They will need to get a grad transfer PG like Pitino has done in the past.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

cmd24 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:10 pm
I think they're trying to get him on campus to take a tour of the new facility, I'm hoping that's the only thing that has prevented them from giving him an offer. I am assuming he's close with Kalscheur and Ben Johnson so there's the number one thing. When people say Terry might not be ideal big ten pg or pitino pg, I say... if those other schools want him badly, we need to want him badly. Especially considering how bad the pg depth looks for the future.
Style

Post by Style »

Stanford offered Terry.

Still no Gopher offer. Thanks Pitino.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:30 pm Stanford offered Terry.

Still no Gopher offer. Thanks Pitino.
I'm at a loss for words on this one. You have a solid point guard in your backyard and you are going to be like his 7th or 8th high major offer. A point guard....
Style

Post by Style »

It seems so simple. Keep the MN guys at home and win. We wouldn't even need to get the blue chippers to be successful.

Our MN only roster excluding the BIG dogs:

PG: Davidson/Wright/Jarvis
SG: Coffey/Anim/El-Amin
SF: Macura/Hurt
PF: Travis/Sims/Niko/Ruevers
C: John/Illikainen/Bertram

Next year enter Oturu, Omersa, Kalscheur
2019 enter Terry and Nnaji

Just keep repeating this cycle over and over until you eventually hit on a really big guy. Maybe Travis was a reach for my roster above as the Gophers seemed to have recruited him hard until the end. Some of those guys are going to get away. Tyus, Vaughn, Tre, Hurt, Suggs, etc. But we HAVE to get that next tier pretty consistently to compete at a high level.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Travis, Macura, Sims, Illikainen were no's.

Anim/ El-Amin/ Bertram never offered as far as I can tell. I don't think Reed Nikko's offer as one that was going to happen either.

Your point stands though, had they just been patient for Wright and let him do his visit, they would have gotten him, and potentially Theo John which would have meant they wouldn't have taken Matz Stockman, who will likely suck.

Your point stands though, I want the local kids first and foremost... I wish there was a true second D1 program instate... whether it's Minnesota St Mankato, Duluth, St Cloud, Winona, something... there's tons of talent here.
Style

Post by Style »

I believe some of the "no's" were from us being late to the party or never giving that much attention to them? I'm very likely mistaken though, but I believe Macura was under-recruited and Illikainen went to Wisco after we grabbed someone else? My memory eludes me on some of the examples.

But yeah, you get my drift. Make MN priority #1 and go from there. We should really be on most of these guys as freshman/sophomores before they "blow up".

I included some of the lesser recruited guys because we often say "WHY DIDN'T WE GET HIM?" after they go on to have success elsewhere - The Harvard PG from Hopkins, Wolters, etc. If we focus on MN, we will have guys that don't really contribute in their careers. That's part of the gig. I'd rather have a non-contributing MN kid than a non-contributing Gaston D. At least with a non-contributing MN kid, we create a bit of a pipeline to the HS and MN as a whole.

Again, we're on the same page here. I just need to vent my frustration a bit. Ha!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Siyani Chambers.... I couldn't believe Tubby didn't go after him. I was campaigning for it...

Yeah, not to get back into the past too much... some of those guys just didn't want to be here IMO whereas the Gophers were really late on Brad Davison. I hope that isn't going to be the case with Terry.
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by cmd24 »

Style wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:15 am I believe some of the "no's" were from us being late to the party or never giving that much attention to them? I'm very likely mistaken though, but I believe Macura was under-recruited and Illikainen went to Wisco after we grabbed someone else? My memory eludes me on some of the examples.

But yeah, you get my drift. Make MN priority #1 and go from there. We should really be on most of these guys as freshman/sophomores before they "blow up".

I included some of the lesser recruited guys because we often say "WHY DIDN'T WE GET HIM?" after they go on to have success elsewhere - The Harvard PG from Hopkins, Wolters, etc. If we focus on MN, we will have guys that don't really contribute in their careers. That's part of the gig. I'd rather have a non-contributing MN kid than a non-contributing Gaston D. At least with a non-contributing MN kid, we create a bit of a pipeline to the HS and MN as a whole.

Again, we're on the same page here. I just need to vent my frustration a bit. Ha!
If I remember correctly, didn't Pitino try to swing Macura back this way, after he was hired? Unless my timeline is off, I think Tubby was in charge during the process with Macura?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. For some reason I remember it that way, but I could be all wet.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Tubby didn't even offer Macura.... Pitino tried to get involved and got Macura on campus a few times but JP wanted to go to Xavier.

Reid Travis was the only one of those 2014 kids who actually entertained coming here... he did an official visit, toured campus for classes, etc.
Style

Post by Style »

The Reid Travis one still stings for me. If I'm not mistaken, he was at a Gophers game sitting behind the bench the night before his college announcement. The next day... STANFORD! UGH.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Style wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:37 pm The Reid Travis one still stings for me. If I'm not mistaken, he was at a Gophers game sitting behind the bench the night before his college announcement. The next day... STANFORD! UGH.
Correct, killer.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Style wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:37 pm The Reid Travis one still stings for me. If I'm not mistaken, he was at a Gophers game sitting behind the bench the night before his college announcement. The next day... STANFORD! UGH.
Why do they keep talking about Travis possibly coming here next year on GopherHole? Am i missing something?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master