Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Pitino is back

Home for Gopher Basketball
jffl_commish

Pitino is back

Post by jffl_commish »

Shocking, I know. Not a very exciting announcement, is it.

Let's get Tropical
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Pitino is back

Post by RubeTube »

Lol.

Like I said in the other thread...

Lowest attendance since 1970-71 and only had one sellout. The interest is at a all time low and they are likely a bottom feeder again next year. It would be one thing if their was some optimism for next year but there isn't so we are prolonging the inevitable. Some real cheap tickets next year, folks.

There probably wasn't a candidate to go after this year however.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Weird feeling to go into next year knowing you're 100% coaching for your job. Now will he recruit accordingly? Doubt out of state kids commit now.

I think it's the right decision (finacially/roster wise) to hold him accountable for one more year... Mashburn and Mitchell might not light the world on fire but these guys should contribute some. If he can land Walton and somehow Curry stays healthy.. maybe, just maybe, it will work out.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I wonder if the virus thing played a part in this? Meaning, with everything shutting down, including recruiting now, how would you even get a new guy in here and get that guy to work?

Pitino is a lame duck coach, IMO. He's been largely mediocre at best his entire time here. The local recruiting without Ben Johnson is absolute garbage. Keep the top kids here and they are a perennial Big 10 title contender. The talent here the last decade has been ridiculous, and so little of it has stayed home. I get losing to the blue bloods on the elites, but beyond that you need to hit at a way better clip than he has.

My apathy is at an all time high for this program. They aren't exciting and there's really nothing to look forward to in the way of expectations next year, assuming of course that Oturo is gone. Coyle is going to see similar effects with season ticket renewals and game sales.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:49 pm I wonder if the virus thing played a part in this? Meaning, with everything shutting down, including recruiting now, how would you even get a new guy in here and get that guy to work?

Pitino is a lame duck coach, IMO. He's been largely mediocre at best his entire time here. The local recruiting without Ben Johnson is absolute garbage. Keep the top kids here and they are a perennial Big 10 title contender. The talent here the last decade has been ridiculous, and so little of it has stayed home. I get losing to the blue bloods on the elites, but beyond that you need to hit at a way better clip than he has.

My apathy is at an all time high for this program. They aren't exciting and there's really nothing to look forward to in the way of expectations next year, assuming of course that Oturo is gone. Coyle is going to see similar effects with season ticket renewals and game sales.
Let's go!!

Who isn't excited to watch the same crap minus Oturu? Sounds amazing!

This team couldn't hit the broad side of a barn all year with one of the best bigs inside. Should be fun stuff to watch.

7-13, here we come!

In all seriousness, I really didn't expect for him to be fired with what was being said and the whole chaos going on right now. They are going to suck regardless next year. Just would have been nice to get a year early head start. Nobody that was realistically coming here enamored me either.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Good lord.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Stupid. The excuse next year will be that he didn't have Oturu.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:27 am Stupid. The excuse next year will be that he didn't have Oturu.
Well he won't be the coach if he has to make excuses next year. Looks like the current climate of the world might have helped Pitino a bit -- there was still the buyout in place and right now might not be the easiest time to a university to cut a check.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

A lot has to go right to keep them from being one of the bottom 4 again next year (assuming Oturu is gone). I don't get why Coyle is so willing to string this along. Pitino isn't Coyle's hire, so firing him doesn't reflect poorly on Coyle.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

This thread could be about Rick Pitino, reunited with Jelly Fam at Iona.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

HeHateMe wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:18 pm This thread could be about Rick Pitino, reunited with Jelly Fam at Iona.
How likely is it that there's a game against the Gaels next year?
I'd say "extremely".
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:51 pm Weird feeling to go into next year knowing you're 100% coaching for your job. Now will he recruit accordingly? Doubt out of state kids commit now.

I think it's the right decision (finacially/roster wise) to hold him accountable for one more year... Mashburn and Mitchell might not light the world on fire but these guys should contribute some. If he can land Walton and somehow Curry stays healthy.. maybe, just maybe, it will work out.
100% Oturo. He declares and Pitino might as well spend the early season asking the Middle Tenn ST's for a job.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:28 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:51 pm Weird feeling to go into next year knowing you're 100% coaching for your job. Now will he recruit accordingly? Doubt out of state kids commit now.

100% Oturo. He declares and Pitino might as well spend the early season asking the Middle Tenn ST's for a job.
I don't think Pitino has to worry about where his next job is... but that's me. I'm not saying he'll get a power 5 job but some mid major would scoop him up and be pretty happy about it.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

I guess no one who Coyle put 'feelers' out to wanted the job.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

DP
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:55 am I guess no one who Coyle put 'feelers' out to wanted the job.
Speculation on your end?
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:49 am
Ask Not wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:55 am I guess no one who Coyle put 'feelers' out to wanted the job.
Speculation on your end?
Pure speculation.
Coyle likes Pitino, but the numbers don't lie. He has to do right by the university.
Ketchup can be nuancy
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

How about Ben Johnson as an option? Seems like a good dude, solid coach, good recruiter from MN at least. Maybe a dream job scenario for him being from here and playing at the U?
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:20 am How about Ben Johnson as an option? Seems like a good dude, solid coach, good recruiter from MN at least. Maybe a dream job scenario for him being from here and playing at the U?
Seems like the Xavier model has been to promote it's top assistant when the head coach leaves for a bigger job.

Sean Miller was Thad Matta's top assisstant. Gets job.
Chris mack was Sean Miller's top assistant.
Now Travis Steele is the head coach, Chris Mack's top assistant.

Ben is the lead guy at Xavier, does he stay? Xavier has been decent the first two years under Steele though the conference record is very MN like.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

I fully expect this to be Pitino's final season here. Dropping attendance, can't get instate recruits (since Johnson left), poor/inconsistent results. It's time. It's beyond time.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:40 am I fully expect this to be Pitino's final season here. Dropping attendance, can't get instate recruits (since Johnson left), poor/inconsistent results. It's time. It's beyond time.
Will they have any attendance this season? Probably not.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

What's Thad Matta up to?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Dan33185 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:28 pm What's Thad Matta up to?
Matta in 2018
“Probably haven’t felt like this in 10 years. I found out stress is real. It’s a legit disease. In retirement you sleep until you’re tired of sleeping, then you go about and start your day. It’s being able to sleep in the night, you wake up in a good mood. I hadn’t woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That’s what coaching is. You can’t be happy.”

Not sure he's a guy I would target....
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Jalen Suggs, McKinley Wright and Tyrell Terry have all said they would have stayed home if Pitino would have recruited them. Wow.
Let's get Tropical
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Everyone is ripping Pitino lol
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Style

Post by Style »

I’m not a Pitino guy by any means, but these guys sound like morons. They all had their chances to commit and they all chose somewhere else. Simple as that.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Style wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:54 pm I’m not a Pitino guy by any means, but these guys sound like morons. They all had their chances to commit and they all chose somewhere else. Simple as that.
This.

No way Hurt stays in MN over Duke etc.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Perhaps, but it certainly isn't a secret that little Richard didn't spend much time on the Minnesota scene.
Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Let's get Tropical
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:52 pm
Then why didn't they come?

Yes, I'm sure Pitino wanted the dud Hurt brother and not Michael. :lol: