Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019-2020 games thread

Home for Gopher Basketball
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: 2019-2020 games thread

Post by RubeTube »

Good game. Have to beat Northwestern next.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Disappointing loss. Two really strong, methodical comebacks when they could have laid down, and multiple chances to close it out late.

There were a couple of ticky-tack calls on the Gophers defensively and then no-calls on obvious hacks on offense. Refs were terrible down the stretch.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

A staple of the Pitino tenure, having zero bench depth. That would have turned the tides last night instead of running the starters into the ground.
Let's get Tropical
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

ForCaleb wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:49 am Disappointing loss. Two really strong, methodical comebacks when they could have laid down, and multiple chances to close it out late.

There were a couple of ticky-tack calls on the Gophers defensively and then no-calls on obvious hacks on offense. Refs were terrible down the stretch.
The Gophs banked in two threes and in double ot got away with two pretty blatant travel no calls, so we had plenty of luck. I thought the refs missed alot on both sides, but sometimes its better to swallow the whistles. Had too many ball handling gaffes down the stretch, and Carr while it may have been his shot to take probably should hit #22 for the wide open trey at the end of either the 1st overtime or regulation (memory failing me). Carr was gassed (48 mins) and doubled, most of the time you just have to make the right basketball play at the end of the game like that.

Too much foul trouble too. All Purdue had to do is feed Lurch for wide open dunks because Oturu couldn't do anything about it. Oturu should have got some more touches in the two overtimes as well. They just settled for too many bad contested shots. Carr is going to continue to struggle down the stretch of games if he doesn't start using his left hand. He really needs to tighten that up!
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Izzo fired up at the half.

Oturu is unbelievably good.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:00 pm Izzo fired up at the half.

Two and done?
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Hornets wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:27 pm

Two and done?
Nope. Back next year.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Clubhouseleader

Post by Clubhouseleader »

Sparty getting all the calls.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:28 pm

Two and done?
Nope. Back next year.
I hope your right, but if he finishes the year strong I think he takes the first bus outta Dinky Town!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

This ESPN crew has had me cracking up all game....

Izzo says "pass the fucking ball"
Commentator...."He said they need to pass the ball, and I think he was telling his players to 'duck-in'

"I like Marble (MSU player)"...what do you think about formica, and other counter top materials?

"Oturu's father was a professional ping-pong player"...."I'm no good at ping-pong, but could probably take him in beer pong"
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Two and done?
Nope. Back next year.
He's gone. Coffey has set the precedent on this team. If you have next level ability, you'll get a contract, even if you arent drafted in the 1st or 2nd.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:53 pm

Two and done?
Nope. Back next year.
He's gone. Coffey has set the precedent on this team. If you have next level ability, you'll get a contract, even if you arent drafted in the 1st or 2nd.
Different skill set. Oturu isn't what the NBA is looking for quite yet.

Coffey could have came back and the same contract would have been given. He went undrafted.

Coffey thought he was a lot better than he was.

Oturu is on a different level.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:59 pm

Nope. Back next year.

Coffey could have came back and the same contract would have been given. He went undrafted.

Coffey knew he was a 2nd round at best talent. That didn't matter to him. He knew he'd get a contract.

Skillset might not matter for Oturu. He could likely get a similar contract that Coffey got...and I think his chances of getting drafted are higher than what Coffey's were.

Play another year or two in college with no pay...or get hundreds of thousands of dollars, and play a few years in the G-League? Trajectory to the NBA might be the same either way, but one gets you a fat pay check. The G-League has finally become a legit developmental league. This is going to reduce the talent at the college level even more.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:06 pm

Coffey knew he was a 2nd round at best talent. That didn't matter to him. He knew he'd get a contract.

Skillset might not matter for Oturu. He could likely get a similar contract that Coffey got...and I think his chances of getting drafted are higher than what Coffey's were.

Play another year or two in college with no pay...or get hundreds of thousands of dollars, and play a few years in the G-League? Trajectory to the NBA might be the same either way, but one gets you a fat pay check. The G-League has finally become a legit developmental league. This is going to reduce the talent at the college level even more.
True. I don't get why these guys are in a hurry, well money is the reason but Coffey and Oturu will eventually be playing overseas. Enjoy the college experience.

Sad it's this way. It's hurt college basketball and the NBA. I could care less about the latter anymore though.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:09 pm

True. I don't get why these guys are in a hurry, well money is the reason but Coffey and Oturu will eventually be playing overseas. Enjoy the college experience.

Sad it's this way. It's hurt college basketball and the NBA. I could care less about the latter anymore though.
I retract a bit. I just looked at Coffey's contract, its about $80K for this year...not bad, but lower than I thought. Had he stayed another year, maybe he gets picked in the 2nd round...I believe that would considerably raise his salary.

Regardless, the NBA might not be the end means for these guys...playing overseas might not even be the end game. The end game might just be getting paid to play basketball when they can...pretty easy to go back to school and get your degree. Not as easy to get a lot of money playing a game.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:18 pm

I retract a bit. I just looked at Coffey's contract, its about $80K for this year...not bad, but lower than I thought. Had he stayed another year, maybe he gets picked in the 2nd round...I believe that would considerably raise his salary.

Regardless, the NBA might not be the end means for these guys...playing overseas might not even be the end game. The end game might just be getting paid to play basketball when they can...pretty easy to go back to school and get your degree. Not as easy to get a lot of money playing a game.
Coffey could have easily came back a year and made that playing basketball after this year.

That kid was gassed up like he was something big time. Maybe it was his old man in his ear?

He wasn't even all that on the Gophers.

Hopefully Oturu gets some better advice. I think he is back next year.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:22 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:18 pm

Coffey could have easily came back a year and made that playing basketball after this year.

That kid was gassed up like he was something big time. Maybe it was his old man in his ear?

He wasn't even all that on the Gophers.

Hopefully Oturu gets some better advice. I think he is back next year.
I never got the cocky feel from Coffey, just felt he didn't want to play for Pitino, and at this point in his college career, it wasn't worth transferring.

Whether or not you think he thought he was better than he is though, him on this team with Oturu emerging, and actually having a legitimate PG in Carr...this team would have been very formidable. Best Gopher team in at least a decade.

Its too bad the NCAA didn't let Carr play last year. Last years team was so desperate for a PG that they turned Coffey into one. Just having that PG presence, and letting Coffey slash and play of the ball like he should, might have made you have a very different opinion on him.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Why are people continue to rip Coffey? A lot of the NBA is age.. when you're younger you have more potential. Coffey turned 22 last year, he got really hot at the end of the year and has played for the Clippers now this year after dealing with an injury. To fault the guy for going pro is insane. I hope Oturu is back for his junior year but he is 100% an NBA prospect and if he's told by some teams they'd take him in the first round he should for sure go. Get your money. Anybody who says otherwise is selfish as a fan.

Also, I do think Coffey would have played well with Carr this year but is what it is. Pitt should never have blocked Carr's eligibility last year, unfortunate their program effed with the transfer process.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Gophers slight favorites (-2) at the Barn against Michigan today, 1pm EST.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

ForCaleb wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:11 am Gophers slight favorites (-2) at the Barn against Michigan today, 1pm EST.
Watched most of this game. I would not have guessed they were the favorites though. Big Ten is so odd this year. At the end of the season there might be 10 teams in the Big Ten that get in to the tournament. Some of them will have a bad record, but will have beaten numerous top 25 teams (like the Gophers), and will get a 10 seed. That/those teams will be ones to keep your eye on for a Cinderella run.

Still upset Coffey left a year early. Gophers are a top 25 team, week in and week out with him.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:00 pm
ForCaleb wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:11 am Gophers slight favorites (-2) at the Barn against Michigan today, 1pm EST.
Watched most of this game. I would not have guessed they were the favorites though. Big Ten is so odd this year. At the end of the season there might be 10 teams in the Big Ten that get in to the tournament. Some of them will have a bad record, but will have beaten numerous top 25 teams (like the Gophers), and will get a 10 seed. That/those teams will be ones to keep your eye on for a Cinderella run.

Still upset Coffey left a year early. Gophers are a top 25 team, week in and week out with him.
Great home win today, exactly what we needed after Michigan had a huge win against Purdue that took 2OT this week.

Hope they can go on a little winning streak. Next up is Penn state at home and @Rutgers, both teams ranked.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Kerwin Walton, Cam Heide and Tre Holloman all guests of the Gophers today. Great win.

Oturu and Carr (when on) are fun to watch. I was only able to watch the second half but I liked Demir getting aggressive against Wagner's little bro in the post.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Will this put the gophers into the top 25?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Bob Wiley wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:53 pm Will this put the gophers into the top 25?
They're 9-7, so no.

Another good win though.
Let's get Tropical
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

What’s the tournament outlook this year?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:38 pm What’s the tournament outlook this year?
If they are better than 500 in conference (need to win almost all your home games) and win a game or two in the big ten tourney, they should get in. The record isn't great because they played a fairly competitive non conference schedule but their NET rating is fairly high and the NCAA focuses on NET more than anything else right now.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:57 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:38 pm What’s the tournament outlook this year?
If they are better than 500 in conference (need to win almost all your home games) and win a game or two in the big ten tourney, they should get in. The record isn't great because they played a fairly competitive non conference schedule but their NET rating is fairly high and the NCAA focuses on NET more than anything else right now.
What win total do they need to get to, thereabouts?

I know it will depend on quality of wins too, but just ballpark?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:12 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:57 am
What win total do they need to get to, thereabouts?

I know it will depend on quality of wins too, but just ballpark?
I see some at large teams got in last year with 19 wins. So Minnesota is 9-7 right now, 3-3 in the conference. If they continue this route of going 500 in the conference, that puts them at 16-14 total so they'd likely need to win at minimum 2 probably 3 games in the big ten tournament so sneak in. I thought maybe two years ago someone got in with 18 wins but I only looked back at the 2019 tournament.

Bottom line, going to be really tough. The nice thing this year is in the non conference losses they competed and were in every game. They looked like crap against Iowa but have been in the other games. MSU on the road is tough but they at least made it kind of interesting for a bit. This looks like a team that could have a nice run in the NIT which at the end of the day really only matters if you can give some of the freshmen extended minutes in that tournament.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Good win tonight against Penn St., but dang, Oturu has to learn to control that temper.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Tonight was a big win, right?