Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019-2020 games thread

Home for Gopher Basketball
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: 2019-2020 games thread

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:18 am Is that picture Williams Arena for their next game?

Reckless speculation: JB Bickerstaff will be the next Gophers coach.
Bickerstaff is currently an NBA head coach... I know it's interim but I would guess based on the Cavs recent track record they might keep him into next year.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Names brought up recently:

Scott Drew
Eric Mussleman (unlikely.. 5 million buyout, Pitino's buyout is 2 mil so you're spending 7 before you even talk contract numbers with Mussleman)
Mike Miller (former Timberwolves player, currently Memphis assistant)
Tim Miles
John Beilein
Craig Smith
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:42 am Names brought up recently:

Scott Drew
Eric Mussleman (unlikely.. 5 million buyout, Pitino's buyout is 2 mil so you're spending 7 before you even talk contract numbers with Mussleman)
Tim Miles
John Beilein
Craig Smith
Do you have a preference? Any young coaches with ties to the Minnesota area?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Scott Drew
Tim Miles
John Beilein
Craig Smith
Drew, Beilien and I do enjoy Timothy Miles.

Please stay away from that ego maniac, Musselwoman
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Replacements wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:42 am

Scott Drew
Tim Miles
John Beilein
Craig Smith
I don't know what they should do... part of me says give Pitino another year because they might actually have real guard depth next year for the first time in forever. I don't think he's hungry enough for this job anymore though... I want someone in here who lives and breathes it like Fleck does. Fleck is everywhere... Pitino has a good laid back personality but I feel like he takes the approach of Billy DOnovan and his Dad too much.. he's the head coach, the others run the practices and recruit and scout.... Tre Williams' mom tore into him on twitter too. Not sure if they are still up but basically said Pitino favors the local kids because the fans want to see Minnesotans. I'd argue Kalscheur is better than Williams at offense and defense but so be it.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:57 pm

Scott Drew
Tim Miles
John Beilein
Craig Smith
I don't know what they should do... part of me says give Pitino another year because they might actually have real guard depth next year for the first time in forever. I don't think he's hungry enough for this job anymore though... I want someone in here who lives and breathes it like Fleck does. Fleck is everywhere... Pitino has a good laid back personality but I feel like he takes the approach of Billy DOnovan and his Dad too much.. he's the head coach, the others run the practices and recruit and scout.... Tre Williams' mom tore into him on twitter too. Not sure if they are still up but basically said Pitino favors the local kids because the fans want to see Minnesotans. I'd argue Kalscheur is better than Williams at offense and defense but so be it.
The Fleck hire gives me hope that Coyle has a plan and the ability to act on it. Obviously, as the Syracuse AD he's very plugged into the basketball network.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:36 am

The Fleck hire gives me hope that Coyle has a plan and the ability to act on it. Obviously, as the Syracuse AD he's very plugged into the basketball network.
Fleck, Motzko and Whalen all were "homerun hires" according to the fanbases of those teams. In 2007 everyone went nuts because Maturi landed Tubby Smith.... quickly we figured out he didn't care too much for recruiting. He didn't even have to recruit Royce White... White committed by himself.

So who is this homerun hire out there? Scott Drew and Eric Mussleman will cost a ton of money before you even talk contract numbers with them. Who after that? I mean I like guys like Craig Smith, Ben Jacobson, etc on paper...
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:44 am
Fleck, Motzko and Whalen all were "homerun hires" according to the fanbases of those teams. In 2007 everyone went nuts because Maturi landed Tubby Smith.... quickly we figured out he didn't care too much for recruiting. He didn't even have to recruit Royce White... White committed by himself.

So who is this homerun hire out there? Scott Drew and Eric Mussleman will cost a ton of money before you even talk contract numbers with them. Who after that? I mean I like guys like Craig Smith, Ben Jacobson, etc on paper...
I'm certainly not plugged in enough to toss out names, that's why I'm glad Coyle is in the chair.
Does Wojo do anything for you? Some controversy at Marquette, they like but don't love him, losing Markus Howard ... seemingly better recruiter than Pitino and company.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:28 am
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:44 am

I'm certainly not plugged in enough to toss out names, that's why I'm glad Coyle is in the chair.
Does Wojo do anything for you? Some controversy at Marquette, they like but don't love him, losing Markus Howard ... seemingly better recruiter than Pitino and company.
I've thrown about Jon Scheyer in the past from Duke so I would think Wojo would be a good hire here... plus he got Dawson Garcia over there...... can you fix that!?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

This! I have no doubt he will make a even better basketball hire. He's Coyled up and ready to STRIKE!!

Richard is way over his head. He did make a pile of money though while he was here.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Richard will rebound just fine. Boston College was a rumored landing spot for him last year. Not much expectations there and Pitino (on paper) has recruited fine.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Scott Drew
Tim Miles
John Beilein
Craig Smith
I might have missed something, but why would Scott Drew leave Baylor?

Mike Miller intrigues me a little. I think he would be a great recruiter and players would like playing for him.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Scott Drew
Tim Miles
John Beilein
Craig Smith
I might have missed something, but why would Scott Drew leave Baylor?

Mike Miller intrigues me a little. I think he would be a great recruiter and players would like playing for him.
I don't know what the deal with Drew and Baylor is but I think Doogie is getting that from Nuness, former Minnesotan who is on Drew's staff. Just connecting the dots.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Mike Miller could be interesting. Fairly local guy from SD, played here and has kids that are supposedly pretty good coming up.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I don't want anybody who hasn't had success at a college program.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Bad from the line again. Why does Demir still start? He is awful. WTF is wrong with Kalscheur this year?
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:57 pm Bad from the line again. Why does Demir still start? He is awful. WTF is wrong with Kalscheur this year?
Gabe isn't a starting quality wing. Needs to be coming off the bench or playing 20-25 mins a game.

He's not very athletic and has to exert a ton of energy imo which he does and a reason he is good defensively. He's just what he is. Maybe all that fatigue has caused his shot to suffer.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

No matter how ya slice it, this has been a disaster of a year for young Mr. Pitino and our Rodents.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:57 pm Bad from the line again. Why does Demir still start? He is awful. WTF is wrong with Kalscheur this year?
They have no one else. There is ZERO depth on this team and honestly Oturu is the only 100% starter.

On a good team most of these starters are coming off the bench and the bench players aren't even on the team.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Hornets wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:58 pm No matter how ya slice it, this has been a disaster of a year for young Mr. Pitino and our Rodents.
But let's bring em back another year, Gus. Why the hell not!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:00 pm
Hornets wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:58 pm No matter how ya slice it, this has been a disaster of a year for young Mr. Pitino and our Rodents.
But let's bring em back another year, Gus. Why the hell not!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Any opinions on Bobby Jackson as a coach? He was an assistant for the Kings, and involved with player development for the Wolves (I know, the jokes write themselves there), so he's had experience in coaching/front office roles.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Dan33185 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:22 pm Any opinions on Bobby Jackson as a coach? He was an assistant for the Kings, and involved with player development for the Wolves (I know, the jokes write themselves there), so he's had experience in coaching/front office roles.
I'd be surprised if they went this route. Ever... doesn't seem like something the university would do. Too many complainers down there "you brought in a guy who cheated through college!"
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:59 pm
They have no one else. There is ZERO depth on this team and honestly Oturu is the only 100% starter.

On a good team most of these starters are coming off the bench and the bench players aren't even on the team.
I think they need a new starting small forward next year. Kalscheur and Carr are legit starting guards but Willis/Mashburn can help spell them. Obviously best case scenario is Kerwin Walton lands here and he's your starting SF. They're going after Goodnews Kpeogel who originally went to K State but is now at the juco level. He's a Minnesotan and he'll be at the game this weekend. He might be someone you can plug in at the 3. No idea if he's a legit starter, probably not right away.

I think Ihnen has earned the starting PF spot for next year. He and Demir are not close to Murphy's level at all but Ihnen has a lot of upside. Let's hope they can continue to work with that.

Center is a huge question mark if Oturu doesn't come back. I'd imagine they'd look for a grad transfer who you can throw into the mix with Curry, Omersa, Freeman and Mitchell. Mitchell will be a starter for the Gophers eventually. In a perfect world I think Curry starts the year at center and Mitchell eventually takes over. This is what should have happened sooner with a Demir to Ihnen transfer but they were desperately trying to win games.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Here is the thing.. Richard is going to be on as hot of a seat as possible next year. Looking at the talent for next year this looks to be a bottom feeder in the B10 next year. All we will hear next year after every loss is Pitino being fired.

There is such a slim chance that this team is much better next year and Richard will be fired next year at this time. So what is the point?

I hear a lot of Gopher fans talking Beilien but I just don't see it. My prediction is he will go to Texas.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Coyle won't fire Richard unless he has a homerun hire in his back pocket. I don't know that the guy exists yet.. some names have popped up but they require large buyouts.

I don't see Shaka getting fired now.
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:16 am Coyle won't fire Richard unless he has a homerun hire in his back pocket. I don't know that the guy exists yet.. some names have popped up but they require large buyouts.

I'd suggest it depends on your definition of home run. There might be a particular assistant or a 2nd tier program coach that he already has his eye on.
This is the first time the Bickerstaff timing/qualification intrigues me. Does he want to be a lead assistant in the NBA or take a chance of building a fiefdom in college basketball?

I'm guessing Pitino is done. 100% guess.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Ask Not wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:57 am
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:16 am Coyle won't fire Richard unless he has a homerun hire in his back pocket. I don't know that the guy exists yet.. some names have popped up but they require large buyouts.

I'd suggest it depends on your definition of home run. There might be a particular assistant or a 2nd tier program coach that he already has his eye on.
This is the first time the Bickerstaff timing/qualification intrigues me. Does he want to be a lead assistant in the NBA or take a chance of building a fiefdom in college basketball?

I'm guessing Pitino is done. 100% guess.
I think Bickerstaff is staying with the Cavs as the head coach for now.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Sounds like Oturu is off to pros and gophers Twitter is hinting at mass transfers...after Little Richie ran off Coffey and now possibly more of his team he needs to go
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Sid Hartman wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:40 am Sounds like Oturu is off to pros and gophers Twitter is hinting at mass transfers...after Little Richie ran off Coffey and now possibly more of his team he needs to go
If this is true, it's time to go for sure. I can see Tre Williams leaving at the least.
Let's get Tropical