Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2019-2020 games thread

Home for Gopher Basketball
jffl_commish

2019-2020 games thread

Post by jffl_commish »

The first game is going on tonight against Cleveland St. Seems like the new guards are having a very nice debut.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: 2019-2020 games thread

Post by HeHateMe »

I went last night -- Cleveland St had no size and was pretty bad overall. Gophers can shoot a little more than last year and that was on display. Depth concerns again. Ihnen is my x-factor for the year... and he's missed the first two "games" (if you count exhibition)… Oturu still needs some seasoning and experience as he becomes the focal point but the other guys -- Willis, Carr, Kalscheur… they will go in streaks, play good on ball defense, Alihan Demir isn't very quick or powerful but he's got some skill. Need to get him against favorable matchups with picks. Need Ihnen to develop into something special though to have a chance this year. Omersa/Hurt/Tre should all contribute some decent minutes off the bench. Don't think Greenlee/Freeman will factor in much.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

This is ugly vs OK.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

They are going to be lucky to be .500 this year...no depth and one of the worst shooting teams I’ve ever seen
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sid Hartman wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:23 pm They are going to be lucky to be .500 this year...no depth and one of the worst shooting teams I’ve ever seen
You post the same thing every year my friend.

With that said, it looks like a down year (from last year)…. but you only lose Hurt and Demir after this season. Still in the hunt for Garcia!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
ForCaleb

Post by ForCaleb »

Gophers 8 point dogs against Butler tonight.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Better play than the other night. The depth on this team is atrocious though.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

This is ugly.
Let's get Tropical
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

jffl_commish wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 pm This is ugly.

Good lord are we going to struggle on the offensive side of the ball this year.

Oturu is by far the best player on the team. Gabe is decent. That's about all I got.

Isiah Washington would be a big improvement to some of these guys.
Last edited by RubeTube on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Oturu is a MONSTER!!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Oturu has the most talent of any player Richard has brought in here.

Murphy is the only "All timer" Richie has produced. Oturu looks to be the next.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:36 am
Sid Hartman wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:23 pm They are going to be lucky to be .500 this year...no depth and one of the worst shooting teams I’ve ever seen

With that said, it looks like a down year (from last year)…. but you only lose Hurt and Demir after this season. Still in the hunt for Garcia!
And I’m wrong how? It’s the same ole every year...little Richie is it long for this job
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Sid Hartman wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:55 pm

And I’m wrong how? It’s the same ole every year...little Richie is it long for this job
Richie should be out if this year is bad imo.

The recruiting is getting worse and worse also.

You are going to find some who will blame the Coffey departure but I don't think this was a tournament team with him back.

This reminds me of a Monson squad. Except 75% of the roster isn't white.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

ForCaleb wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:43 pm Gophers 8 point dogs against Butler tonight.
Vegas smart again.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

How were you wrong on last year? What?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:10 am

You are going to find some who will blame the Coffey departure but I don't think this was a tournament team with him back.

It was absolutely a tournament team with Coffey back. He'd be scoring 20 a game and have the defense on their heels the whole time. He was just getting started at the end of last year as figuring out how to take over games.

I'll be bummed if Garcia or Walton don't take that last scholarship. My issue right now is Pitino has too many raw guys he needs to develop and he hasn't shown ton of luck in developing talent. Also x's and o's wise he's not a great coach. Everyone knows that.

Mashburn Jr will be a really good player, really good shooter with a good handle. Carr is a little too out of control for my liking but defensively this team is pretty damn good.

I have no idea what to expect with Mitchell, Freeman and Greenlee. And that's a problem.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Pitino sure does like to gamble with scholarships, far too often. If Garcia/Walton said they were a package or GTFO, you figure out how to get an extra scholarship open for them.
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:42 am Pitino sure does like to gamble with scholarships, far too often. If Garcia/Walton said they were a package or GTFO, you figure out how to get an extra scholarship open for them.
In some sense he has to, he had to give a scholarship to a walk on kid for the second time in the last 3-4 years because he couldn't get someone to take the last one.

Garcia/Walton would for sure get spots if they wanted to play here. I've read UNC is out on Walton already now... Arizona might be the only real competition. Hard to say if the Gophers are making him a big priority like Garcia though.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Do they have room for both Garcia and Walton?
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:12 am Do they have room for both Garcia and Walton?
They have one scholarship available for next year but I'm sure they'd fine a way to make room. I'm not sold it would be Eric Curry walking away though.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Carr isn't as good as he thinks he is.
Demir looks soft and lost.
As a senior, Hurt still has the confidence of a St. Thomas role player.

Sorry, Oturo.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Carr and Willis would have been nice to have last year. Carr is better than Washington but still tries to do too much. I like Willis.

Demir and Hurt both suffer from a lack of aggression from what I see. Michael just can't figure it out. Wow.

Ihnen has a 7'4 wing span and is supposedly the fastest kid on the team. I hope they start giving him minutes now that his wrist is doing better.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ask Not wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:11 pm Carr isn't as good as he thinks he is.
Demir looks soft and lost.
As a senior, Hurt still has the confidence of a St. Thomas role player.

Sorry, Oturo.
Sounds about right to me.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Imo Washington would be great to have right now. EXACTLY the type of player this team needs.

No use crying over spilt milk though, boy's.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:39 am

It was absolutely a tournament team with Coffey back. He'd be scoring 20 a game and have the defense on their heels the whole time. He was just getting started at the end of last year as figuring out how to take over games.

I'll be bummed if Garcia or Walton don't take that last scholarship. My issue right now is Pitino has too many raw guys he needs to develop and he hasn't shown ton of luck in developing talent. Also x's and o's wise he's not a great coach. Everyone knows that.

Mashburn Jr will be a really good player, really good shooter with a good handle. Carr is a little too out of control for my liking but defensively this team is pretty damn good.

I have no idea what to expect with Mitchell, Freeman and Greenlee. And that's a problem.

This was a 9-11 Big Ten team last year that finished 7th in the Ten and lose Murphy and lost Curry and they are definitely a tournament team with Coffey?

At least we have Oturu to watch. He's going to be one of the best who has ever played here. :thumbsup:
Last edited by RubeTube on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Forgot Hurt was still on the team....even at this stage of his career he's a decent role player for an MIAC team. Pitino had to have him on the roster for any shot at his brother, but good golly he is lousy.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Hornets wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:57 pm Forgot Hurt was still on the team....even at this stage of his career he's a decent role player for an MIAC team. Pitino had to have him on the roster for any shot at his brother, but good golly he is lousy.
Ole Double H just finally decided he can't play.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:45 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:39 am

This was a 9-11 Big Ten team last year that finished 7th in the Ten and lose Murphy and lost Curry and they are definitely a tournament team with Coffey?

At least we have Oturu to watch. He's going to be one of the best who has ever played here. :thumbsup:
Curry isn't even on my radar at this point as a difference maker. That is whatthis team is missing. No one can convince me Coffey wasn't a difference maker, one that could put this team in the tournament again.

Carr/Willis
Kalscheur/Williams
Coffey/Ihnen
Demir/Hurt
Oturu/Omersa

That's a tourney team! Could go four guards with Oturu too.. great defensive team.
full force five

Post by full force five »

Demir has been insanely underwhelming, super soft from the little I've watched. Not a big10 power forward.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

full force five wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:12 pm Demir has been insanely underwhelming, super soft from the little I've watched. Not a big10 power forward.
insert the word "starting" between big10 and power and I'd agree.

Pitino needs to put his guys in spots to succeed though too. Does he do anything to coach up guys?